The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2018, 05:22 AM   #1
jw3571
"TRF" Member

Daytona Chrono Question

I may possibly buy a Daytona. One hesitancy is I love watching the 2nd hand sweep the face on my other watches. Obviously you don't get this on the Daytona unless you have the Chrono running all the time. Is there any problem letting the chrono run all the time? Does anyone else do that?
jw3571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:57 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Some folks do. Doesn't make much sense, but whatever floats 'yer boat.
Old 29 January 2018, 06:01 AM   #3
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I may possibly buy a Daytona. One hesitancy is I love watching the 2nd hand sweep the face on my other watches. Obviously you don't get this on the Daytona unless you have the Chrono running all the time. Is there any problem letting the chrono run all the time? Does anyone else do that?
I asked RSC that very question and all they said was, it does no harm but might slightly affect how soon a service might, he emphasised, might, be required.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 06:02 AM   #4
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

What is certain is that the watch will run down quicker. If it’s on your wrist all the time then that’s probably irrelevant.

Constant running would no doubt increase wear, but whether that’s to any significant degree I can’t say. It would seem unlikely to have any adverse impact in the short term certainly.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 06:05 AM   #5
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Let it run. Live a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 06:12 AM   #6
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
What is certain is that the watch will run down quicker. If it’s on your wrist all the time then that’s probably irrelevant.
Some tests have been published here. If I remember rightly, running the chrono all the time made only very marginal difference to the power reserve, less that 5% reduction.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 06:21 AM   #7
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phez View Post
Some tests have been published here. If I remember rightly, running the chrono all the time made only very marginal difference to the power reserve, less that 5% reduction.
Thanks for the info

I’m not personally familiar with the Daytona, it’s a pretty rare bird in these parts in non blinged-up trim. But my Speedy is much, much worse than that, though I’ve never formally tested it.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 06:36 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
It’s not a big deal. Just run your chrono if you need a second hand. You’ll need a service well before it becomes an issue.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 10:04 AM   #9
jw3571
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys, i'd only use the chronology if it as on my wrist.
jw3571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 10:07 AM   #10
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Modern movement running the Chrono no Issue

I believe that is not true for the previous zenith version.

Great watch.
Old 29 January 2018, 10:13 AM   #11
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

It is a legitimate observation as the sweeping second hand is relaxing to watch. I got use to my chronograph large second hand not moving after awhile. I do let it run on occasion and haven’t seen any time keeping issues.
Old 29 January 2018, 10:59 AM   #12
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
While no real issues. I never have.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:39 PM   #13
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I think it would annoy me but as someone else stated "whatever floats your boat"!
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 12:48 PM   #14
meganfox17
Banned

I agree with the other readers that in a vertical clutch coupled chronograph, the wear and tear is pretty insignificant, if you want to let the chrono run, so be it, let it run but give the Chrono a rest during weekends.That's what I'll do
I'm pretty sure the Daytona's Cal 4130 superior fully integrated vertical clutch Chrono will not be affected by running the chrono 24/7. The Cal 4130 has what ?...An awesome in-your-face 60% further internal friction reduction right? In other words perhaps near friction free

I can certainly tell you that if you run the Chrono 24/7 on Omega's
1)Speedy Pro 1861 horizontally coupled chronograph, wear and tear will occur since you have one wheel that is constantly turning engaging with another that is stationary.So that's earlier servicing!
In Vertical clutch chronograph ,say Cal 3301, when the chronograph is stopped , there is some friction between the brass part of the main wheel train and the steel parts of the chrono.When the Chrono is started, the whole brass-steel assembly turns between 2 jewels creating a load.

From a performance point of view in both vertical and horizontal clutches when measured with a timing machine, the balance amplitude can drop and amplitude loss affects accurate timekeeping

So personally speaking not that it matters to anyOne here, I wouldn't leave any Chrono of any watchmaker brand running 24/7 365 /12
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 01:02 PM   #15
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
I agree with the other readers that in a vertical clutch coupled chronograph, the wear and tear is pretty insignificant, if you want to let the chrono run, so be it, let it run but give the Chrono a rest during weekends.That's what I'll do
I'm pretty sure the Daytona's Cal 4130 superior fully integrated vertical clutch Chrono will not be affected by running the chrono 24/7. The Cal 4130 has what ?...An awesome in-your-face 60% further internal friction reduction right? In other words perhaps near friction free

1)Speedy Pro 1861 horizontally coupled chronograph, wear and tear will occur since you have one wheel that is constantly turning engaging with another that is stationary.So that's earlier servicing!
In Vertical clutch chronograph ,say Cal 3301, when the chronograph is stopped , there is some friction between the brass part of the main wheel train and the steel parts of the chrono.When the Chrono is started, the whole brass-steel assembly turns between 2 jewels creating a load.

From a performance point of view in both vertical and horizontal clutches when measured with a timing machine, the balance amplitude can drop and amplitude loss affects accurate timekeeping

So personally speaking not that it matters to anyOne here, I wouldn't leave any Chrono of any watchmaker brand running 24/7 365 /12

What's she said....

Actually, very informative post. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 01:10 PM   #16
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Damn. I wish I knew that on my own!
Old 29 January 2018, 01:15 PM   #17
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Options:

1. Enjoy the running seconds at 6 instead.
2. Leave the chrono running. It won’t hurt anything.
3. You can’t enjoy the seconds hand if you’re not contemplating the watch. So, when you want to watch it for a while, press start.

I enjoy the interactivity of the chrono, and miss a date way more than I miss a large sweeping seconds hand.

Bonus, the subdial seconds appears even smoother since you can’t identify each beat as easily on the smaller hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 03:58 PM   #18
Snarltorialist
"TRF" Member

Just to add on a related query, I noticed the chrono hand doesn’t rest entirely dead centre at 12 o’clock, probably a very very slight off centre to the left. Does anyone else have this ‘issue’ as well?
Snarltorialist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 04:29 PM   #19
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarltorialist View Post
Just to add on a related query, I noticed the chrono hand doesn’t rest entirely dead centre at 12 o’clock, probably a very very slight off centre to the left. Does anyone else have this ‘issue’ as well?

It’s not uncommon.

I’ve noticed that sometimes it’s the angle you’re looking too or a weird eye dominance thing.

I’ve seen some where closing one eye makes it look exactly centered (such as when looking with a loupe) while looking with two eyes it looks a fraction of a mm off to one side or the other.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:06 PM   #20
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
I let all my chronos run all the time, I have never had an issue. Synchronizing the sweeping hand on the dial with 6 o'clock sub dial on the Daytona is much easier to read.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:23 PM   #21
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I am always impressed with the research you do Ms M.

I run my Daytona chrono hand on all mine when I wear it but that is not very often.

I also noted that on my Omega quartz chronograph and some of my other quartz models the function stops and returns to zero all by its self after a set timing period so there is no real point in setting those to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (239.5 KB, 242 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2018, 05:25 PM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post

Constant running would no doubt increase wear, but whether that’s to any significant degree I can’t say. It would seem unlikely to have any adverse impact in the short term certainly.
this is what i don't understand. The watch its self is always running and using the chrono function means the chrono parts are also always running. So basically it would be wearing at the same rate as the rest of the watch and that can go a very long time with out service. Right?

I don't see why always running the chrono would make a watch need a service sooner than if you never used it at all, but always had the watch running.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2018, 08:22 AM   #23
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
When I had my daytona a friend once commented "your watch needs winding"... because he saw the "seconds" hand just sitting there at the 12 o'clock position... I had to explain the chrono function.. he's not a watch person.

cheers
Old 11 March 2018, 01:11 AM   #24
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
this is what i don't understand. The watch its self is always running and using the chrono function means the chrono parts are also always running. So basically it would be wearing at the same rate as the rest of the watch and that can go a very long time with out service. Right?

I don't see why always running the chrono would make a watch need a service sooner than if you never used it at all, but always had the watch running.
Same here - I’m confused in that one.
When I bought my D500, I did asked my Ad (bucherer in Switzerland) if I could let my chronograph running 24/7 and he told me Yes - it won’t affect power reserve neither wearing parts. All he told me was “all mechanical watches shall be keeping running”
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote