The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 12:47 PM   #1
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
You Could Knock A Horse Out With My DSSd, Bracelet Question

With my 126660 delivered August 4, I began to wonder if that mass could accelerate what is commonly but incorrectly referred to as bracelet stretch. This bracelet stretch is actually from grit that acts as polishing compound if you will and wears the inside surface and pins. So yes I would think the mass of a DSSD could cause the ‘polishing compound’ effect to ‘rub harder,’ but would be remedied by maybe slightly more cleanings.

I only began to think about this as I realized instead of being a weekend watch as originally intended, the 126660 is very comfortable and will instead be my daily wearer until such time as it maybe rotates with an interminably AD ordered 126600.

I found this post from 2010, and other similar posts, and this would not only summarize what I read, but seem to put my concern to bed: keep it clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colnago View Post
There's that "S" word again...it's been cropping up a lot again recently......

I am a structural designer working with steel design day in day out for the last 30 years.....

You will NEVER EVER manage to stretch a stainless steel Rolex watch bracelet with loadings from your body alone, you could almost hang a car from a Rolex watch bracelet and it would not stretch.

There is NO STRETCH associated with Rolex watch bracelets.....it is ELONGATION DUE TO WEAR.......this is caused when grit/grime/dust etc get in between the links of the bracelet and as the bracelet flexes during nornal wear the grit/grime/dust act as cutting compounds and wear the pins and the links themselves resulting in a looser fit.....
If you look up this guy’s post, later in the thread he goes in to a very interesting and lengthy technical discussion on why.
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:49 PM   #2
05carbondrz
Banned

Buy a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon,Pop the BRACELET in every 3 Months...No stretch.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:51 PM   #3
gttime
"TRF" Member

Just enjoy the watch.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:53 PM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
I believe the newer bracelets have ceramic liners where the "pins" go through. They are replaceable. Other than that wearing the watch in the water can also help to clean the bracelet. Of course what else would one do with a Sea Dweller?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:56 PM   #5
webprotege
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttime View Post
Just enjoy the watch.
What he said.
webprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 12:58 PM   #6
GTC
Banned

Watch: 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I believe the newer bracelets have ceramic liners where the "pins" go through. They are replaceable. Other than that wearing the watch in the water can also help to clean the bracelet. Of course what else would one do with a Sea Dweller?
I also heard about the ceramic liners, but read on this forum that was limited to the platinums, be nice to learn that the technology is in use more broadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
Buy a cheap ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon,Pop the BRACELET in every 3 Months...No stretch.
I will, thank you!
GTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:08 PM   #7
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Interesting. This is why I'm on this forum. Thanks for sharing!
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttime View Post
Just enjoy the watch.
Why do you assume he’s not enjoying the watch?

I for one find it interesting. I kind of knew this already, but never really gave it too much thought. Basically what I always knew was the keeping your watch clean will reduce the chances of stretch. Now I see why, assuming that’s an accurate assessment.

Anyhow! Yes, enjoy your watch (and keep it clean haha)!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 05:14 PM   #9
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Yes, the only way to clean it properly is ultrasonic, three monthly seems excessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Not on the SS references yet, the newer PM watches have the ceramic sleeves
Old 14 August 2018, 06:26 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Yes, the only way to clean it properly is ultrasonic, three monthly seems excessive

Not on the SS references yet, the newer PM watches have the ceramic sleeves
That's simply because PM is softer than SS, and to the OP my working tool watch a SD from the early 2000.This watch has seen more use and abuse that 98% of today's Rolex watch owners would see in ten lifetimes.Yet show very very little sign of wear what some call stretch.My secret just keep them clean with good old soap and water, and wear a snug fit on wrist.Then all oyster bracelets old type, new type, are good for 50 years plus of wearing.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:31 PM   #11
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: a Rolex pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTC View Post
With my 126660 delivered August 4, I began to wonder if that mass could accelerate what is commonly but incorrectly referred to as bracelet stretch. This bracelet stretch is actually from grit that acts as polishing compound if you will and wears the inside surface and pins. So yes I would think the mass of a DSSD could cause the ‘polishing compound’ effect to ‘rub harder,’ but would be remedied by maybe slightly more cleanings.

I only began to think about this as I realized instead of being a weekend watch as originally intended, the 126660 is very comfortable and will instead be my daily wearer until such time as it maybe rotates with an interminably AD ordered 126600.

I found this post from 2010, and other similar posts, and this would not only summarize what I read, but seem to put my concern to bed: keep it clean.

If you look up this guy’s post, later in the thread he goes in to a very interesting and lengthy technical discussion on why.
So what does knocking a horse out has to do with all this?
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:45 PM   #12
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
The mass of the 126660 is still less than some full gold references (so no ceramic sleeves) if I recall correctly, and they don't suffer from excessive bracelet wear due to trapped abrasives due to their mass.

In any event that extra mass will only exacerbate bracelet wear if the watch is worn too loosely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
...My secret just keep them clean with good old soap and water, and wear a snug fit on wrist....Then all oyster bracelets old type, new type, are good for 50 years plus of wearing.
This. Clean and snug will result in minimal wear

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 06:52 PM   #13
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
simply not true, the bracelet will wear. But keeping it clean will prolong its life.
Old 14 August 2018, 07:11 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
One persons ‘heavy wear’ is another persons ‘hardly used’.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:47 PM   #15
hai.tranhr
"TRF" Member

Is it hamful if I clean my Batman by soap everyday?
hai.tranhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:52 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hai.tranhr View Post
Is it hamful if I clean my Batman by soap everyday?
Although Batman is a comic book character, I would expect you wash yourself with soap and water daily.So common sense should tell you if it does not harm your skin, then I am 100% it would not harm one of the most durable metals SS.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:23 PM   #17
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Although Batman is a comic book character, I would expect you wash yourself with soap and water daily.So common sense should tell you if it does not harm your skin, then I am 100% it would not harm one of the most durable metals SS.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:02 PM   #18
kzm40
"TRF" Member

I once cleaned my sister in laws DJ on a jubilee, she'd never cleaned it, ever. Just with baby shampoo, lots of suds, it turned the water black multiple times. It was like swarf, off a bycycle chain. That is grinding paste, with two tone, even more important to keep clean, with gold rubbing against steel, there will only be one winner, and its not gold.
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:42 AM   #19
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I’ve owned my DSSD for 10+ years. It gets lots of wear, I don’t baby it and there is ZERO bracelet stretch as best I can tell. It’s just a non issue IMHO.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:07 AM   #20
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
That's simply because PM is softer than SS, and to the OP my working tool watch a SD from the early 2000.This watch has seen more use and abuse that 98% of today's Rolex watch owners would see in ten lifetimes.Yet show very very little sign of wear what some call stretch.My secret just keep them clean with good old soap and water, and wear a snug fit on wrist.Then all oyster bracelets old type, new type, are good for 50 years plus of wearing.
So well said...

But even if the bracelet stretches a little bit after 10 years, so what?? More than 50% of the American with (very) average income do not keep a car for more that 2-3 years..
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:23 AM   #21
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:

I miss reading these old posts. More talk about the watches, less about flipping and other things. Great insight.

I make sure to rinse my oyster watches off often (that are in the rotation) and if worn daily wash with water and blue dawn every other week. Glidelock will help make sure you don't ever have an overly loose watch with more link movement (grinding). Overall, SS professional divers are super sturdy watches and need not to overly worry
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:38 AM   #22
marc2828
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,LV,SD43,PAMs
I may be mistaken, but I read somewhere on this forum that the new 126600 and 126660 Sea Dwellers are made from recycled gladiator swords and industrial tree axes. So I think they are pretty durable.
marc2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:17 AM   #23
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
while of course not harmful, SS can't really be compared to complexity of human skin.

If you got glue on your skin, it might initially be rock hard and seemingly stuck, but after a relatively short time the oils and elasticity of your skin would break apart the glue naturally and it would fall off/disappear. If you got the same glue on your watch, it's not going anywhere without using the right solution to remove it.

Of course soap is safe for your watch, but if you're using regular bar soap to clean your watch, it can develop a very thin residue and/or white haze that sits atop the surface and in the small spots of the watch. Those little spots are actually pretty hard to clean so I'd stick with dish soap for that reason.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote