The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2018, 10:07 PM   #61
marcotagudelo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
First of all, despite the pervasive talk about them on forums, grey market dealers are a tiny sliver of the overall market. Most ADs probably have very little or even no participation in the grey market. The cases are empty because the demand is high. The SS models sell fast at retail price. It doesn't matter of it is sold direct to a customer or passes thru a grey reseller.... its still not there in the case for you.

A customer who spends a ton on high markup jewelry or pays up for less popular watches to get a SS watch is the same as a grey dealer. ADs are businesses.
Its “cheaper” to buy from a grey than to buy pieces you dont need to pay retail for a hot watch. Id rather pay the premium of the grey and have what i want instead of other pieces i dont need
marcotagudelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 10:56 PM   #62
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotagudelo View Post
Its “cheaper” to buy from a grey than to buy pieces you dont need to pay retail for a hot watch. Id rather pay the premium of the grey and have what i want instead of other pieces i dont need

Maybe sometimes, I really have no idea. I'm completely unwilling to do either one.

Based on what I read here it varies greatly, ranging from walking in randomly and getting a hot watch to dropping $100,000 a year and can't get one. I'm surprised people haven't resorted to camping overnight on the sidewalk to be first in line each morning... just in case a blue one showers up.

I don't think I've ever been inside an AD except killing time at airports a few times. I like certain Rolexes and have a few currently, owned others in the past and will probably buy more... but my idea of a nice Saturday involves a hardware store, not a jewelry store.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 11:48 PM   #63
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Options one- Buy from a normal Joe that is selling it. Sure at a premium but it’s just luke anything else. If you wanted something collectable like say coins would you not purchase from and individual or dealer because they were able to acquire and they are marking up? Of course not! So jusy look at it that way!

Option two- go to all the AD’s you can and offer to purchase some expensive diamond. But tell them your only purchasing if they sell you what you want. Then sell the diamond. Maybe take a small hit but you get wht you want.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2018, 11:53 PM   #64
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
This! People weren't complaining before the SS shortages when you were able to get a new or used blnr or hulk below the list price from a grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgook View Post
lol @ reason for not buying from grey. Would you buy from a grey if they had it with 20% discount?
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 10:39 AM   #65
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Totally worth it. Wait or not.

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 10:41 AM   #66
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

This one doesn’t suck either.

HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 12:07 PM   #67
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

You don’t need to drop tons of money. Just keep contacting as many AD as possible. It will increase your chances.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2018, 12:29 PM   #68
Seattlerf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
My personal tip is calling around is a waste of time. Any SS Daytona AD sale is going to start with an in person visit.
1000% agree. Phoning random ADs for a SS Daytona is an absolute waste of time.
Seattlerf is offline   Reply With Quote