The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 February 2019, 04:45 AM   #121
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
This is like the kid that didn't get the toy they wanted for their B-day..
But got it the day after...and still complained...
That analogy is wildly misconceived.

There is a difference between a child not receiving a birthday present on time, on the one hand, and a professional adult willing to spend several thousand pounds with a shop being turned away on the basis of (probably knowingly) false information...

I don’t know why so many people are willing to subordinate themselves to this type of conduct from ADs as if SS Sport Rolexes are some sort of manna from the heavens, for which they are prepared to do whatever it takes to obtain one. I’m not such a person.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 04:58 AM   #122
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I'm with OP on this one. It certainly seems like someone was playing games and it's just silly. I don't care if it was a SS Daytona, there's no way I would take that crap. I would honestly pay a premium from a TS than deal with that kind of behavior from an AD. Luckily, my AD doesn't play games. He's been able to get some nice pieces for me, and he's also told me about stuff that comes in but is reserved for VIPs.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get your Milgauss soon. I just saw a black one and I was tempted. The blue might push me over the edge.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 06:04 AM   #123
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Maybe the sales force is high on crank.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #124
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
If I had wanted that watch and got a text five minutes after leaving I would have run back to get it. Wouldn’t have even crossed my mind to be offended. I’m sure if you’d gone back they could have explained the scenario. Your loss.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:25 AM   #125
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
If I had wanted that watch and got a text five minutes after leaving I would have run back to get it. Wouldn’t have even crossed my mind to be offended. I’m sure if you’d gone back they could have explained the scenario. Your loss.
I agree. Cannot understand the disproportional level of offense that was being taken at this.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 07:42 AM   #126
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Frustrating but it's the reality we face with so much excessive demand. Without an established relationship with a salesperson it's hard to expect the usual or excellent service. The OP's case demonstrates the laziness that is becoming the norm.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #127
EDL7
"TRF" Member

The manager yelled at the sales person.....wtf...are you crazy...call that guy back right now...and move that thing fast...
But woe on them...as they just didn't hit that 8 ball good enough..to make it in the side pocket..
Personally I think they did you a favor..as the new rumored Milgauss..is pretty sweet..and probably worth the wait..just a couple of months more..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 09:26 AM   #128
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The manager yelled at the sales person.....wtf...are you crazy...call that guy back right now...and move that thing fast...
But woe on them...as they just didn't hit that 8 ball good enough..to make it in the side pocket..
Personally I think they did you a favor..as the new rumored Milgauss..is pretty sweet..and probably worth the wait..just a couple of months more..
That rumor is going to look fantastic on you, OP. I can see it now.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 11:33 AM   #129
LesserBlackDog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horationelson View Post
That analogy is wildly misconceived.

There is a difference between a child not receiving a birthday present on time, on the one hand, and a professional adult willing to spend several thousand pounds with a shop being turned away on the basis of (probably knowingly) false information...

I don’t know why so many people are willing to subordinate themselves to this type of conduct from ADs as if SS Sport Rolexes are some sort of manna from the heavens, for which they are prepared to do whatever it takes to obtain one. I’m not such a person.
Now you’re just being comical. The fact that you couldn’t be arsed to make a second trip to the AD does not make you some kind of big he-man hero boldly fighting against the machine. The fact you have wasted so much of your own time here whining and hand-wringing over the very slightest of perceived slights suggests otherwise.

P.S. What is a professional adult, exactly? Do you get paid just for being 18+ these days?
LesserBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 11:45 AM   #130
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
+1
Life is too short to look for ways to be offended.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 12:32 PM   #131
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Hmmmm. It seems to me that you want to be treated special because you are buying an expensive piece of jewelry. Unfortunately this type of transaction happens many times each day. I have bought two Rolex watches. Both for more than $7k. Each transaction was fast, no special groveling on either side. If you wanted the watch you should have about faced and marched right back and got it. Now you seem more interested in being bitter. You are not special to an AD. If you buy regularly you WILL be special. Unfortunately that kind of special only lasts until you stop buying regularly.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 12:37 PM   #132
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I'm with OP on this one. It certainly seems like someone was playing games and it's just silly. I don't care if it was a SS Daytona, there's no way I would take that crap. I would honestly pay a premium from a TS than deal with that kind of behavior from an AD. Luckily, my AD doesn't play games. He's been able to get some nice pieces for me, and he's also told me about stuff that comes in but is reserved for VIPs.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll get your Milgauss soon. I just saw a black one and I was tempted. The blue might push me over the edge.
Speculation runs rampant on this forum. Nobody, NOBODY has any idea what happened inside that AD after the OP left. NOBODY.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 12:39 PM   #133
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
Speculation runs rampant on this forum. Nobody, NOBODY has any idea what happened inside that AD after the OP left. NOBODY.

Won’t argue with you on that one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2019, 02:41 PM   #134
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
The worse is that AD’s are playing the “not Rolex SS stock game”, everything is in the safe case.

I know because it’s the way my AD works, once you come at the store, all the windows are empty but in the safe; plenty of Daytona’s, GMT’s, Divers...
What's the password for getting them to open the safe??? I have talked to plenty of ADs, chatted them up, and told them the SS I am looking for---but I have yet to have one open the vault and present a watch that wasn't already out.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 04:35 PM   #135
subboi
"TRF" Member

Correct me if i am wrong, black face milgauss is already no longer in production since 5 to 6 years ago... most 'available' milgauss is the GV or the white/orange version ... i doubt the AD would be keeping a NOS black faced milgauss for that many years ...
subboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 04:48 PM   #136
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subboi View Post
Correct me if i am wrong, black face milgauss is already no longer in production since 5 to 6 years ago... most 'available' milgauss is the GV or the white/orange version ... i doubt the AD would be keeping a NOS black faced milgauss for that many years ...

I don’t know if it’s discontinued but I just saw one 3 days ago at my AD. It wasn’t in the case but they grabbed it from the back to see if I would be interested. If I’m going to get one it would be the blue so I passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 February 2019, 05:11 PM   #137
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
That rumor is going to look fantastic on you, OP. I can see it now.
I can see it now: here’s my collection - in rumours.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 08:35 PM   #138
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

P.S. What is a professional adult, exactly? Do you get paid just for being 18+ these days?

They do, but that is for another sort of forum!

Can't believe this madness Thread is still going!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 09:57 PM   #139
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

If I were a true WIS who had been after a blue steel sky-dweller and the AD had done the same thing with that, then of course I'd have gone back to the store and bought it in a heartbeat, in the knowledge that the odds of ever seeing one elsewhere are very, very low.

But for a Milgauss GV which I would bet $1,000 that I'll see again by chance at some other AD in the coming weeks/months, it's just not a game worth playing.

It seems like keeping a Milgauss not only hidden in a safe, away from the cabinets, but also withholding the watch so long as the customer is in the and offering a “call-back” after the event instead, is all being done to create the illusion that the watch is hard to obtain. I appreciate that this may be purely speculation and assumption on my part (although I have a hunch that there is some truth to it), but I’m just not prepared to buy it (literally).

I suppose that becayse by mid 2018 the Milgauss had become pretty much the only SS sports/professional watch regularly seen in boutiques, which in turn may have been making it less desirable and harder to shift for that reason alone, this is why some ADs like this one have resorted to sales techniques to make the watch seem rarer than it really is.
Old 14 February 2019, 07:03 AM   #140
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
If I were a true WIS who had been after a blue steel sky-dweller and the AD had done the same thing with that, then of course I'd have gone back to the store and bought it in a heartbeat, in the knowledge that the odds of ever seeing one elsewhere are very, very low.

But for a Milgauss GV which I would bet $1,000 that I'll see again by chance at some other AD in the coming weeks/months, it's just not a game worth playing.

It seems like keeping a Milgauss not only hidden in a safe, away from the cabinets, but also withholding the watch so long as the customer is in the and offering a “call-back” after the event instead, is all being done to create the illusion that the watch is hard to obtain. I appreciate that this may be purely speculation and assumption on my part (although I have a hunch that there is some truth to it), but I’m just not prepared to buy it (literally).

I suppose that becayse by mid 2018 the Milgauss had become pretty much the only SS sports/professional watch regularly seen in boutiques, which in turn may have been making it less desirable and harder to shift for that reason alone, this is why some ADs like this one have resorted to sales techniques to make the watch seem rarer than it really is.
mmmmmm
Seems like the first sentence in this post has confirmed some conflict in the strong principles outlined at the start of this thread.
Oldfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 06:14 PM   #141
RDionR
"TRF" Member

The Milgauss is quite a few months wait at the boutiques I’ve got in touch with and I’ve never seen one in a window.

I don’t think it is as unwanted as everyone makes out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RDionR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 11:54 PM   #142
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

As a general comment, I would report shady AD proposals (like buy a dusty model and get a Daytona) and poor experiences to Rolex.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:07 AM   #143
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Seems to me like OP is kicking a fuss for nothing.

We complain because there's no stock and annoying AD games (waiting lists, bulk purchase and other shenanigans), he complains because there is a lack a clarity with regards to stock and possibly annoying AD games (could just be his interpretation), but it turns out there is stock eventually (5 min later). Hardly a case for rant IMHO, sorry OP.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:12 AM   #144
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'd be more offended that the AD sales rep thinks that it's appropriate to call a black dialed, watch a black face. No it's a black dial, with a polished bezel. Face is what amateurs call dials and sometimes bezel. It's the equivalent of calling a rehaut the "ring"
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:22 AM   #145
johnny.tran1
2024 Pledge Member

if you arent happy with their customer service dont give them your business
johnny.tran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 01:32 AM   #146
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
The manager yelled at the sales person.....wtf...are you crazy...call that guy back right now...and move that thing fast..
THIS!

You have no idea what went on after you left. We have all had our share of dealings with bad ADs but sheesh, it seems like they were doing you a favor in the end. I would haven't cared a lick. Go back, get the watch. The enjoyment of having the watch you love will endure long after you forgot the name of the salesman.

You are the only one who loses in the end.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 03:25 AM   #147
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor BB36
Quote:
Rant over. And my conclusion?
There's a lot to be frustrated about in the current Rolex market, but in this case, I think you're over-reacting.

I would have made a U-turned and headed back to the store and made that purchase.

It is possible that a shipment had come in and that sales-staff might not have been made aware of what specifically had been received until after you left, but to me that is irrelevant.

If they were able to produce the watch that I was willing to buy, even with the awkward fumble, I'd have been all over it.

There is one thing I do agree with, however.

While I'm not down on Rolex over this current stock situation, I do agree that now is the time to start looking at other models that ADs do have in stock or to just wait until the hysteria dies down.

Things will normalize in time and that will be the time to buy the currently difficult to acquire watches.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 04:23 AM   #148
delboylee
"TRF" Member

To the OP, in case it was a black dial you’re after there was one Milagauss black dial in WOS Knightsbridge today around 4pm. Sitting there in the window - £6300

I understand your frustration with the text and smiley face but I probably would have just turned around and gone back to buy it if it was a piece I really wanted.
delboylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 08:29 AM   #149
atn_uk
"TRF" Member

I have to say, i’m with Horatio on this. The subservience and acceptance I see on this and other forums to the Rolex waiting lists and ridiculous shortage of supply is simply mind blowing.

I suppose, to be fair, it is a bit like buying a new limited edition Ferrari or Bugatti, but at least for these you usually know the number being built and how long you will have to wait. With Rolex it is just a lottery, with no idea of supply, no idea of how long it might take, if you will ever see a watch, and per my AD today, whether Rolex might discontinue the watch you are waiting for and the list you are on disappears.

And worse, the Rolex driven part of this problem is only a small part of the problem. You also have to deal with the seemingly completely random way the individual ADs manage their lists.

After being told the lost at my AD is 3 years even for a standard black Sub I have to say this is getting beyond ridiculous. In no other business would this be allowed to happen - either the manufacturers would make more stuff, they would raise prices to stifle demand and raise profits, or their customers (and their resellers) would just stop buying from them.

I am lucky, I have my Rolex. I would like another, but I am now going to start seriously looking at other brands to spend my next £7000 with.
atn_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 08:43 AM   #150
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboylee View Post
To the OP, in case it was a black dial you’re after there was one Milagauss black dial in WOS Knightsbridge today around 4pm. Sitting there in the window - £6300

I understand your frustration with the text and smiley face but I probably would have just turned around and gone back to buy it if it was a piece I really wanted.
Thanks. I’ve seen a black Milgauss in at least one other AD since starting this thread. Harrods had one on the shelf for at least a week (it was there on two consecutive weekend visits). I am taking my time with the next purchase and will not rush to buy just because something happens to be in stock.

Besides, I am drawn to ALS for the next watch. I don’t expect to have any of this sort of drama buying one of their watches.