The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 March 2019, 05:29 PM   #31
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I am sure. But when I pay to go to concert I am paying to be entertained. Not hear some politically babble.

Which is sad because I like his music.
same reason i enjoy the forum.... oh wait
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 09:16 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a fan of Springsteen's music but do not like the way he has become so political. I see this a lot with artists and athletes, as there careers fad they start talking to stay in the media. There is an NBA star who is having the worst year of his career and he has ramped up the rhetoric beyond where he usually is. Most artists/athletes usually let the performance speak for itself.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 09:32 PM   #33
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a fan of Springsteen's music but do not like the way he has become so political. I see this a lot with artists and athletes, as there careers fad they start talking to stay in the media. There is an NBA star who is having the worst year of his career and he has ramped up the rhetoric beyond where he usually is. Most artists/athletes usually let the performance speak for itself.
if anything he is consistent all the way back to the 1980's. He hasn't changed. Remember the Born in the USA song controversy when it was used by a political campaign... and they totally missed the point of the song. And he called them out.

Springsteen has always been Springsteen.

Its like being a Neil Young fan in the 60's but not now. The messages were always there, plain as day

As a fan changes, they assume the musician is the one who changed. You dont necessarily notice it, if you agreed with it back then. Years later if you change you all of a sudden see everything you disagree with as a new found agenda that your favorite musician all of a sudden has.

Listen to Nebraska again
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 13 March 2019, 10:27 PM   #34
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I could take it until he got up there shilling for Hillary Clinton. Now, the sight of him makes me sick
Old 13 March 2019, 10:32 PM   #35
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
if anything he is consistent all the way back to the 1980's. He hasn't changed. Remember the Born in the USA song controversy when it was used by a political campaign... and they totally missed the point of the song. And he called them out.

Springsteen has always been Springsteen.

Its like being a Neil Young fan in the 60's but not now. The messages were always there, plain as day

As a fan changes, they assume the musician is the one who changed. You dont necessarily notice it, if you agreed with it back then. Years later if you change you all of a sudden see everything you disagree with as a new found agenda that your favorite musician all of a sudden has.

Listen to Nebraska again
Yup. The folks that like his music but don't like his politics, don't know his music. It's always been the same, right from the first album, straight through to Broadway.

To each her own.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:39 PM   #36
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Ibtl
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:43 PM   #37
TJMike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Yup. The folks that like his music but don't like his politics, don't know his music. It's always been the same, right from the first album, straight through to Broadway.

To each her own.

Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 10:47 PM   #38
feb29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
concert aren't necessarily Springsteen fans

or in floor seats at MSG or Yankee stadium generally are not the most passionate fans

The same obviously goes with watches and WISs. I've reached a point in my professional life where I have been able to get the watches I really wanted.

I have one question and one thought

How does one break the AD 'relationship', waitlist cycle. Is grey market the only path? National/International boycott?

I will say for us WISs the hunt is often as satisfying as the kill (the watch) and the wait can be sweet
For me "hunting" and "killing" the very hard watch to source is a part of the fun game.
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2019, 11:20 PM   #39
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I kept trying and finally scored for Springsteen On Broadway on the third and final round of ticket sales. Absolutely one of the most memorable nights of my life. And yes Bruce's message and politics are exactly as they have been since he started in the 70's. Fading career? LOL! His 13 month stint on Broadway was THE hottest ticket for its entire run, my $400 tickets could have fetched $3500 on resale.
Back to watches. I keep plugging along. Stay loyal to an SA who has treated me well for over 20 years and I get the watches I ask for. BLNR and BLRO last year, black Daytona or maybe something cool from Basel this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 40071EA9-32CF-473D-B0F4-93E2D3BDFF86.jpeg (183.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpeg CFC4A0DB-8783-4BDD-BC55-10CB22CA54BE.jpeg (197.1 KB, 65 views)
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 04:29 AM   #40
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:

To each her own.
I personally do mind his politics, because they are his beliefs. I do not expect him to like mine. But like i said when I pay to be entertained I do not want politics involved.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 06:37 AM   #41
PepsiBezel

Watch: Neo-Vintage
Quote:
Springsteen is politically in his concerts. So I won't buy any seats.
I won’t buy any ToxicNatos, because he is anti-Springsteen...
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 06:50 AM   #42
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I'm more interested in your question itself than concerts.

What have you purchased so far at your AD?

You need to see them and show your passion for the watches. They don't really want to sell to people buying just to flash Rolex. Unless you're buying PM or DJs.

Express your interest in a somewhat attainable watch they need to locate at another store or wait for next order. Then BUY that watch and don't waste their time.

Go back in to express interest in a newer or harder to acquire item......hopefully they remember you when one comes in. IF you get an offer....purchase to show them you're a serious buyer and client.

Most important is a relationship. So treat it like that. I have no problems, because I genuinely enjoy watches and talking with my AD's employees about them. I also, give them business whenever possible and try to help them out too. Referrals and transaction methods that cost them the least. My AD is a small business and I treat them as such with same considerations....i.e. try to help them out with referrals and anything else you would do for a small business you appreciate.

If you're buying at a chain AD, I have no idea because not my preference for many products, but especially not expensive items.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 08:20 AM   #43
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFlashman View Post
I won’t buy any ToxicNatos, because he is anti-Springsteen...
You didn't read the rest of my post. When I pay to go to a concert I expect to be entertained. That is what I paid for, not politics. Even if I agree with the politics I did not pay to hear them.

And I love Bruce's music. So get your story straight.
Old 14 March 2019, 08:28 AM   #44
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I personally do NOT mind his politics, because they are his beliefs. I do not expect him to like mine. But like i said when I pay to be entertained I do not want politics involved.
Old 14 March 2019, 08:33 AM   #45
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You didn't read the rest of my post. When I pay to go to a concert I expect to be entertained. That is what I paid for, not politics. Even if I agree with the politics I did not pay to hear them.

And I love Bruce's music. So get your story straight.
There are certain artists that are politically aware and it’s part of their concerts. It’s who they are. If you don’t like it obviously you don’t have to go see them. Springsteen is a political hack in concert compared to some. Go see Roger Waters sometime. By the way the Waters concert I attended in 2017 was one the best I’ve experienced.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 08:39 AM   #46
PepsiBezel

Watch: Neo-Vintage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PepsiBezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2019, 08:40 AM   #47
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
There are certain artists that are politically aware and it’s part of their concerts. It’s who they are. If you don’t like it obviously you don’t have to go see them. Springsteen is a political hack in concert compared to some. Go see Roger Waters sometime. By the way the Waters concert I attended in 2017 was one the best I’ve experienced.
Agreed.
Old 14 March 2019, 12:03 PM   #48
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Big Daytona fan and not a fan of phony Springsteen. Just my personal opinion.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 08:56 PM   #49
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschejeff View Post
Big Daytona fan and not a fan of phony Springsteen. Just my personal opinion.
How is he phony other than in your eyes?
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 09:11 PM   #50
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
How is he phony other than in your eyes?
When some folks don't like his politics, they criticize him for not really racing in the street or not being the blue collar hero he sings for.

But John Cash gets a pass, despite not shooting a man in Reno. Go figure.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2019, 09:14 PM   #51
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When some folks don't like his politics, they criticize him for not really racing in the street or not being the blue collar hero he sings for.

But John Cash gets a pass, despite not shooting a man in Reno. Go figure.
its a sign of the times i guess. People need to know your politics before deciding if they like the music even though they are intertwined. Thats what i dont get. You dont want someone to say something publicly, but that same message is in all the lyrics anyway. Its weird. the art is a reflection of the person. You want the art, but not the opinion of the person who put their opinion in the art. like it or dont but you can't have one thing without the other.

The 60's was way way more political and while some got the message and were turnoff if they disagreed, many liked it even with the message. That has changed. People are self selecting art that doesn't challenge them. Art is supposed to be provocative, make you think, challenge you... if its not, its not being done well. Then its corporate art that was tested and focus grouped. As much as people complain when its present its actually more disheartening there is less of it now days.

I like kid rock too FWIW.
Old 15 March 2019, 10:07 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It is very tough now, even regular buying WIS and VIPs are being overlooked for Whales, which are rich people and the children of rich people who only buy for the latest in status, so for newbies/infrequent buyers this sitch is impossible, esp if you live in larger cities.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote