The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2006, 06:44 AM   #1
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Opportunity for a BNIB SS Daytona from an AD

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I have a patient that works in the watch department of a Rolex AD. I purchased my SS SubDate at this jeweler. They've got 3 stores and an inventory of about 100 Rolex in each store and they've been great to deal with.

He's always told me that they have at least one SS Daytona in the vault at all times for "special" customers. They only sell at MRSP and never put a premium on Rolex since he said that it is against Rolex USA policy. However, they don't have a waiting list and will not sell the watch to anyone off the street because they feel that someone will simply purchase the watch and turn around and resell it for a profit.

They want to save it for a "special" customer that they know and trust will keep the watch. Well, recently my nephew expressed a VERY strong interest in a SS Daytona with a black face. Although he is relatively young for such an expensive watch, he battled a serious illness and as a result his parents are more than generous when he wants something (and he deserves it!)

Therefore, for a graduation present he finally decided that the SS Daytona with a black face was PROBABLY what he wanted. So, he went on a search and realized how impossible his search would be, until he gave me a call. I made one phone call and my patient talked to "the boss" and within 5 minutes I had his guarantee that one BNIB SS Daytona with a black face was waiting to be tried on and picked up for $6975!!! So, after I changed my underwear, I called my nephew and told him that due to my schedule, I would be able to take him over to the jeweler on Saturday, and the only "catch" was that his name would have to be on the warranty, which is 100% the way I would want it anyway.

After all that, I just got a call from my nephew telling me that he CHANGED HIS MIND!!!!!!! He decided that since he was so young, it was crazy to spend that kind of money on a watch, despite the quality, etc. I think that he simply started feeling guilty that a 21 year old kid shouldn't be wearing a $7000 watch.

Naturally, I can't get angry at him because he's a great kid that's been through hell, but it's a shame since this watch is SO hard to get and I simply picked up the phone and had it immediately. But it's nice to know he's responsible enough to realize that maybe at 21 years old there's more important things than a $7000 watch. Believe me, if I had a couple of extra bucks around, I'd buy it for him!

Sorry if any of you guys are drooling, I just HAD to tell some of you because no one else would appreciate this like the guys on this site.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2006, 06:50 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That's a very nice gesture on your part, Doc!! Appreciated!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Atomic

Very nice indeed. Although you could always pick up the watch anyways and store it for him (unworn, of course) until such time that his is ready.

Either way, great gesture and sounds like a great kid too!
Old 27 July 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
That's a great story, David. Both for the maturity your nephew showed and for the insight you gave us as to where we can now go to get those hard to find Rollies.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2006, 11:26 PM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Great story, Dave Your nephew sounds like a pretty responsible kid. I'm sure he's going to do nothing but make you prouder and prouder
Old 28 July 2006, 12:02 AM   #6
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Wow, I'm impressed. Thank you very much for sharing!
He must be an incredibly sensible, considerate and mature guy. Congrats to you, him and the family!
Old 28 July 2006, 02:48 AM   #7
veilstylez
"TRF" Member

awsome kid!! I dont think i would have be able to that. I dont think i would have been responsible at all at that age. Great story and great hookups. If i had that kind of hook up id be all over it.
veilstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 05:02 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

You should buy. Finding a Daytona at list is too good to pass up!

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 05:18 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
You should buy. Finding a Daytona at list is too good to pass up!
Good point - makes sense to me!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 05:36 AM   #10
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
AWESOME STORY!! Good on ya Doc and congrats to the lucky young man.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 10:33 AM   #11
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
Yes, he's a great kid but he's like any other "kid" and today he called me and said that although it's "ridiculous" for him to spend the $7000 for the SS Daytona, he decided on a different watch!!!

Instead, he decided to spend less money and "settle for" a Breitling Chronomat Evolution in stainless steel. The watch lists for about $4800 and he can get it for about $3800!!! When he told me this I almost FLIPPED.

I know that Breitling is a nice watch and a good looking watch, but for that kind of money he can almost buy a SS Sub or SS GMT, and to me there is NO comparison.

I still think that's a lot of money for a young kid. He's definitely into the chronograph feature and I'm trying to talk him into an Omega, which I think is a great watch and a lot of watch for the money. But so far, the "bling" of the Breitling caught his attention.

Maybe I'll start a collection on this site to get him the SS Daytona
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
He's definitely into the chronograph feature and I'm trying to talk him into an Omega
:COUGH COUGH: Speedy pro! :COUGH COUGH:
Old 28 July 2006, 01:10 PM   #13
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
:COUGH COUGH: Speedy pro! :COUGH COUGH:
I'm with you!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote