The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2006, 03:35 PM   #1
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
(1)What if Rolex made a second line (2) Are we the last generation of watch lovers?

What if Rolex made a second, lower priced line, but retained the Rolex name? No more Tudor. I think it might be a smart play, they could bring out fresh, (daring?) designs without upsetting the regular line. They could play with materials, i have always wished Rolex made a Titanium model. They could use: Rubber straps? Carbon fiber? Diffrent metals?
But.............. Would it lower the prestige factor? Would it water down the desirability for their watches? Would it lower resale? Or highten it for the top tier models? Could Rolex put their name on a less expensive watch, which might mean using a less costly movement, like they did with Tudor?
All the prestige car companies do it, Mercedes (S-Class, E-Class) BMW (7-Series, 5-series) etc. It does not lower their prestige, just makes their product more widely obtainable. And Rolex's benefit might be more sales to the Y and upcoming Z generation. My sisters kids love my watches, but think they are (too adult?) for their taste. For those with kids of teen/college age, what do they think of your watches?? Most kids I see today don't even wear watches anymore.

Thoughts?
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2006, 05:57 PM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
That doesn't gel with Rolex's branding approach. The reason they went with Tudor (and a few other less successful names) is that they wanted Rolex to be their flagship line, associated with certain expectations of quality and with a certain conservativeness to boot.

As for your car analogy, it's quite apt. Just this week, I was watching Jeremy Clarkson reviewing one of AMG's latest releases and giving it a very positive review. He wound it off with, "In fact, the only problem I can see with it is that it's a Mercedes. Ten years ago, Mercedes decided to boost their profits by cutting corners, and it's shown with their cars ever since".

I doubt that Rolex would want to make the same mistake.
Old 27 July 2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
I think the branding is perfect as rolex has it....and I will continue with the automobile analogy to emphasize my point.

BMW and Mercedes all have sport, luxury, and economy models in their line.

Rolex does the same. The simple stainless datejust with stick dial is the c-class benz and the 3 series BMW

The Datejust with a fluted bezel, or the new thunderbird bezel, with a jubilee band, and roman dial, is the AMG c-class and the M3 of the line.

The Explorer I and II are the E-class and 5-series of the line, and the SUB,GMT,and Seadweller are the sport utilities like the M class-or the X5, and the limited edition models are the G-wagens of the bunch.

Finally, the Presidents, Daytona's and Yachtmaster are the S-class, M5, E-series AMG, and 7 series of the line.

Tudor is to Rolex what Mini is to BMW. A place to take a risk, a chance on what is new and modern in style and design while not disrupting the cash cow .
Just my thoughts, I think I rambled enough.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 01:07 AM   #4
REXMTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date - PAM673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Wide Open View Post
I think the branding is perfect as rolex has it....and I will continue with the automobile analogy to emphasize my point.

Rolex does the same. The simple stainless datejust with stick dial is the c-class benz and the 3 series BMW

The Datejust with a fluted bezel, or the new thunderbird bezel, with a jubilee band, and roman dial, is the AMG c-class and the M3 of the line.

The Explorer I and II are the E-class and 5-series of the line, and the SUB,GMT,and Seadweller are the sport utilities like the M class-or the X5, and the limited edition models are the G-wagens of the bunch.

Finally, the Presidents, Daytona's and Yachtmaster are the S-class, M5, E-series AMG, and 7 series of the line.

Tudor is to Rolex what Mini is to BMW. A place to take a risk, a chance on what is new and modern in style and design while not disrupting the cash cow .

PAtrick
Nicely done !!!
REXMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 02:43 AM   #5
viper
"TRF" Member

Quote:

PAtrick

Well said My thoughts exactly!
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 05:45 AM   #6
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:

PAtrick
Great post, Patrick!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 06:25 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:

PAtrick
Great analogy, Patrick!! And, David....while I like the way your imaginative thinking works, knowing Rolex....it'll never happen. But the thought's not a bad one at all.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 09:52 AM   #8
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

PAtrick

Excellent
Old 28 July 2006, 11:00 AM   #9
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT YM TT Sub TT Da
Damn. In the last 10 days I have bought an M Class (Sub) and S Class (Yacht Master) I am starting to feel better.
watchdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 12:03 PM   #10
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdrummer View Post
Damn. In the last 10 days I have bought an M Class (Sub) and S Class (Yacht Master) I am starting to feel better.
I call Shannagins unless you show pics.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2006, 01:29 PM   #11
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT YM TT Sub TT Da
Patrick i posted pics tuesday.
watchdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote