The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 July 2024, 05:09 AM   #361
temporaltactix
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Crazy this thread goes back 4 years, patience of Job this one. I hope it pays off for him!
temporaltactix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 12:09 PM   #362
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
Literally just popped on to see if there was any updates to this.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 02:06 PM   #363
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
This thread is not real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 02:40 PM   #364
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Still no verdict? Wow! Very patient.

Perhaps when a decision is made OP can create a new thread in addition to posting here. The updates are helpful.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 04:07 PM   #365
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

The watch has now been with Rolex for a significant part of an enthusiast’s collecting life.
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 06:37 PM   #366
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Holy crap! It's already been 4 years!
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2024, 11:33 PM   #367
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinl View Post
Holy crap! It's already been 4 years!
I agree. And, as I stated earlier... seriously, it surely does not - by any stretch of one's imagination - take years to verify if a watch is genuine. Total nonsense that they are stringing collectors along like this. Utter nonsense.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 12:38 AM   #368
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I agree, the time-frame is just disingenuous for a parent company to see if this is indeed their creation.
Since OP has submitted this watch, Rolex has created the entire pre-owned program as well as the heritage department where I believe $25,000.00 service gets you those period correct parts Rolex refused to use for decades, a cool box and a book on your watch.
I hope OP at least gets the cool box and book on his gmt.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 05:14 AM   #369
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
Wow.....just read through this whole thread while avoiding work! Can't wait for further updates!
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 09:35 AM   #370
linesiders

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Wow.....just read through this whole thread while avoiding work! Can't wait for further updates!
I've changed jobs avoiding work waiting for this thread to finish
Old 21 August 2024, 09:41 AM   #371
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Don't hold your breath.
Old 21 August 2024, 06:13 PM   #372
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

The quicker that plane comes in to bring him back to reality, the better; 4 years is too long on Fantasy Island. Claptrap, from start to finish, sadly.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 10:18 PM   #373
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie 50 View Post
The quicker that plane comes in to bring him back to reality, the better; 4 years is too long on Fantasy Island. Claptrap, from start to finish, sadly.
You could be right (regarding the claptrap…I can’t speak on the Fantasy Island analogy as Mr. Rourke AND Tattoo are both deceased), but it’s amazing the predictament: The only way he could prove he has one of the rarest GMTs on earth was having Rolex confirm (or deny) its authenticity. How ever long that takes. But, the moment he gets fed up w how long they ARE taking and demands it returned, he’s lost all possibility of ever proving it’s real, thus going back to square one. Buying it to begin with was an enormous risk without proof of provenance.
Essentially, Rolex is holding his watch hostage.
Old 22 August 2024, 04:50 AM   #374
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
It would be ineresting to know if the dial has feet. My guess would be that it is just another one of those dials from sample folders that gets mounted into watches now and then IF the dial lacks feet. Unicorns are sometimes just rejected samples.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:27 PM   #375
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
I finally got an email and call from the Rolex Heritage Department informing me that my watch is ready for pick up. Unfortunately, they have officially refused to service my watch for the reason that the silver dial was not installed by the factory. Likewise, during our telephone conversation, they would not confirm or deny that the dial is legit. I still believe that it’s authentic and made by their supplier then, Eggli-Weibel. Nevertheless, it was well worth the risk for me despite the verdict. Just happy to get my watch back soon after more than 2 years of waiting. I am flying to Geneva this October to pick it up.
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:27 PM   #376
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
I finally got an email and call from the Rolex Heritage Department informing me that my watch is ready for pick up. Unfortunately, they have officially refused to service my watch for the reason that the silver dial was not installed by the factory. Likewise, during our telephone conversation, they would not confirm or deny that the dial is legit. I still believe that it’s authentic and made by their supplier then, Eggli-Weibel. Nevertheless, it was well worth the risk for me despite the verdict. Just happy to get my watch back soon after more than 2 years of waiting. I am flying to Geneva this October to pick it up.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 12:45 PM   #377
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
... the silver dial was not installed by the factory...
Why in the world would it take them two years to determine this? Either they have the records or they don't.
Old 22 August 2024, 12:57 PM   #378
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Why in the world would it take them two years to determine this? Either they have the records or they don't.
Precisely.
Old 22 August 2024, 01:11 PM   #379
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Ouch. All that waiting to get a refusal to service.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:28 PM   #380
77T

Quote:

Are they charging you any fee for this finding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 02:33 PM   #381
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

No charges.
Old 22 August 2024, 02:48 PM   #382
77T

That is at least a benefit.

I hope they provide some answers about their findings. That is, how they determined it is not the original dial for the watch.

Old 22 August 2024, 03:28 PM   #383
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

No written explanation whatsoever.
Old 22 August 2024, 03:40 PM   #384
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
No written explanation whatsoever.
I'm sorry for you. Thanks for the very interesting thread!
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 04:04 PM   #385
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I'm sorry for you. Thanks for the very interesting thread!
It was a great gamble on my part. Besides, if i decided not to pursue the matter with the Rolex Heritage Department, there will never be a closure on the authenticity of the watch dial. In the first place, they did not reject my watch outright even after their own expert technician inspected and accepted it for servicing so that alone is a small victory for me. The mere fact that it took them over 2 years to come up with this conclusion is bizarre at the least.
Old 22 August 2024, 05:57 PM   #386
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Maybe they didn’t want you to have the only remaining million dollar white dial.
They sure act in mysterious ways.
Old 22 August 2024, 08:44 PM   #387
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Maybe they didn’t want you to have the only remaining million dollar white dial.
True on both
Old 22 August 2024, 08:48 PM   #388
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

An interesting 2 year wait, and an inconclusive end. But, at least with your honest publication of their findings, the world is spared another multi-million pound fraud.
Old 22 August 2024, 10:08 PM   #389
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

Quote:
True on both
I know this is a big disappointment and respect the patience displayed through the wait. I'm a bit gentle-minded before accusing Rolex of such shenanigans. I'd need to see some evidence of that, which of course we wouldn't as they are so secretive.

It is my belief thus far that work done by the Restoration Atelier is backlogged due to the in-depth historical research which they conduct.

Then, because the watch dial has been determined to have been changed (which was posited as a possibility by some long gone PanAm pilot), then it did not meet Rolex's definition of an "exceptional historic watch".

Each submission must meet that criteria by intake watchmakers before the exclusive atelier exerts the demanding work. Being specially trained to undertake work on collectors’ timepieces, there must be very few bench watchmakers who can complete the work.

Rolex is willing to take the risks of working on those timepieces inly after they can assess the traceability of any previous work done (like on this GMT).

This "gatekeeping" sifts the watches before assigning one to one of the bench watchmakers for full restoration.

The upshot is that this GMT is still an amazing vintage watch that had a dial swap somewhere along its life.

Old 22 August 2024, 11:28 PM   #390
Erpin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I know this is a big disappointment and respect the patience displayed through the wait. I'm a bit gentle-minded before accusing Rolex of such shenanigans. I'd need to see some evidence of that, which of course we wouldn't as they are so secretive.

It is my belief thus far that work done by the Restoration Atelier is backlogged due to the in-depth historical research which they conduct.

Then, because the watch dial has been determined to have been changed (which was posited as a possibility by some long gone PanAm pilot), then it did not meet Rolex's definition of an "exceptional historic watch".

Each submission must meet that criteria by intake watchmakers before the exclusive atelier exerts the demanding work. Being specially trained to undertake work on collectors’ timepieces, there must be very few bench watchmakers who can complete the work.

Rolex is willing to take the risks of working on those timepieces inly after they can assess the traceability of any previous work done (like on this GMT).

This "gatekeeping" sifts the watches before assigning one to one of the bench watchmakers for full restoration.

The upshot is that this GMT is still an amazing vintage watch that had a dial swap somewhere along its life.

I am not really disappointed by the result. Like i said, it was a risk i was willing to take to satisfy my own curiosity. Likewise, i respect the opinion and decision of the Heritage Department about my watch.