The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 April 2023, 08:26 PM   #391
Manamana
"TRF" Member

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/the-def...500ln-version/

In Closing, Our Subjective Analysis Of The 2023 Steel Rolex Daytona

Whereas Rolex claims to be all about the perpetual pursuit of excellence — a mission statement reflected by its unrivaled selection and quantity of remarkably high-performance movements, among other things — occasionally not even “The Crown” can escape the pressure of doing something just for the sake of doing it. With the 2016 debut of the steel Rolex Daytona 116500LN, perhaps not even Rolex knew what a challenge it would eventually be to try to improve upon that design and execution. Seven years later, the 60th anniversary of the collection has marked the time for that “something” to happen, and so Rolex was expected to face this trial head-on and somehow modify one of its finest-ever designs — the 116500LN steel Daytona.

Even with all this in mind, we have to say that many of the updates to the Daytona, and especially the steel Daytona, appear to be hard-to-justify modifications that represent more of a step back than forward. The asymmetrical design, the delicate shape of the lugs, case profile, and hour markers, the monoblock and unframed ceramic bezel, the perfect overall proportions of the steel Daytona — not one of these are watch design elements that happen by chance, not at this level, anyway. And yet, all of these deliberate and calculated elements of refinement have been undone without any historical or practical justification.

Totally agree with this.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2023, 09:09 PM   #392
johntictoc
"TRF" Member

So the masses wanted more Daytonas so when they upgraded they made all the case sizes between steel and PM the same… that’s about it… this observation may be more telling as to what is going on behind closed doors
johntictoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2023, 09:59 PM   #393
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post

Whereas Rolex claims to be all about the perpetual pursuit of excellence — a mission statement reflected by its unrivaled selection and quantity of remarkably high-performance movements, among other things — occasionally not even “The Crown” can escape the pressure of doing something just for the sake of doing it. With the 2016 debut of the steel Rolex Daytona 116500LN, perhaps not even Rolex knew what a challenge it would eventually be to try to improve upon that design and execution. Seven years later, the 60th anniversary of the collection has marked the time for that “something” to happen, and so Rolex was expected to face this trial head-on and somehow modify one of its finest-ever designs — the 116500LN steel Daytona.

Even with all this in mind, we have to say that many of the updates to the Daytona, and especially the steel Daytona, appear to be hard-to-justify modifications that represent more of a step back than forward. The asymmetrical design, the delicate shape of the lugs, case profile, and hour markers, the monoblock and unframed ceramic bezel, the perfect overall proportions of the steel Daytona — not one of these are watch design elements that happen by chance, not at this level, anyway. And yet, all of these deliberate and calculated elements of refinement have been undone without any historical or practical justification.

Totally agree with this.
Wow, I can't believe someone in the pop watch press finally said it. They are 100% right. This iteration is a huge step back, and it hasn't grown on me at all. It's an aweful update, and terrible foreshadowing for Rolex's design decisions especially when considering the other releases.
Old 29 April 2023, 10:00 PM   #394
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ouch. I haven't seen the new one in person. But this is perhaps very true.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2023, 10:14 PM   #395
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
I think the new Daytona looks lovely.

I think the old Daytona looks lovely.

It's a lovely watch.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 12:23 AM   #396
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

wishful thinking but perhaps the stabdardized case size will allow increased production of the steel models?
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 02:18 AM   #397
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

Totally agree with this.

I don’t know. It seems hyper-critical to me. The author is also over-analyzing things a bit. These people have a tough job. They have to write an article with x number of words and x number of paragraphs. Net result is that you end up with word salad like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 02:26 AM   #398
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Very soon this will all be forgotten. There's always some gnashing of teeth when new models come out.

In a parallel universe I'd actually be able to buy a Daytona. I'd 100% pick the new one if offered a choice.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 02:26 AM   #399
bp1000
"TRF" Member

But this never happens in the watch press. Virtually every make and model is generally positively biased.

So to see someone say what some of us are thinking in the press is quite surprising.

The Daytona had a serious amount of unique character. From the different case shape, different lugs, asymmetry on models without palladium, the balance, the unique bezel. It’s all gone now.

The new 12 Daytona is a safe bet. Very nice still, I’ve ordered a black dial, but it’s now generic even.

I collect chronographs and I found so much variety in this horological niche in the 11 series Daytona. Its overall package was quite unique as far as chronographs go. Now it is far more like a typical chronograph by omega or as if they copied zenith.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 07:11 PM   #400
mykii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I don’t know. It seems hyper-critical to me. The author is also over-analyzing things a bit. These people have a tough job. They have to write an article with x number of words and x number of paragraphs. Net result is that you end up with word salad like this.

I disagree entirely - the author has excellent and fair points and reflects my exact thoughts on the release as well as many other serious collectors I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post

The Daytona had a serious amount of unique character. From the different case shape, different lugs, asymmetry on models without palladium, the balance, the unique bezel. It’s all gone now.
^ this x100. This is the problem.
Old 30 April 2023, 07:25 PM   #401
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
But this never happens in the watch press. Virtually every make and model is generally positively biased.

So to see someone say what some of us are thinking in the press is quite surprising.

The new 12 Daytona is a safe bet. Very nice still, I’ve ordered a black dial, but it’s now generic even.

I collect chronographs and I found so much variety in this horological niche in the 11 series Daytona. Its overall package was quite unique as far as chronographs go. Now it is far more like a typical chronograph by omega or as if they copied zenith.
I won't live long nearly enough to say "I told you so" but I honesty believe that 50 years from now people will look back at the first generation of ceramic bezel Daytonas as an akwardly executed transitional design blip along the way. Yes it is unique and has character but it didn't follow the design language of the previous steel bezel versions. Instead it completely changed the sleek look of the Daytona.

Yes, it is now more Omega-like I suppose but that could just be another way of saying it is now more balanced and proportional.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 09:38 PM   #402
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Very soon this will all be forgotten. There's always some gnashing of teeth when new models come out.

In a parallel universe I'd actually be able to buy a Daytona. I'd 100% pick the new one if offered a choice.
Right?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 09:44 PM   #403
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Not sure until it is seen. I will probably get the white steel and MAY trade my current platona in for a clear case back version but unsure about that. I’m not a die hard Daytona collector and think having both gens of the Platona are not nessecary

archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 09:46 PM   #404
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I've always felt the Daytona, at a real wear of 38ish on the wrist, was on the small size. As so many love this classic size and so many prefer a bigger watch, rather than mess about with the case to make the watch seem to wear bigger, I'd rather they just intro a 42mm model as well and have two, like Omega did with the PO. Not something Rolex would probably ever do tho unfortunately.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 09:47 PM   #405
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Also was a chance to make a real Panda dial with this new version, which would have been fabulous, but instead went with this silver ring stuff, another missed opp.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2023, 09:52 PM   #406
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I really dig the newer model, especially that dial. I love the fact R brought back the slimmer sub dials.
Old 30 April 2023, 10:07 PM   #407
mykii
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I won't live long nearly enough to say "I told you so" but I honesty believe that 50 years from now people will look back at the first generation of ceramic bezel Daytonas as an akwardly executed transitional design blip along the way. Yes it is unique and has character but it didn't follow the design language of the previous steel bezel versions. Instead it completely changed the sleek look of the Daytona.
I personally see it the other way around, that the 11 was a special and unique reference. History tends to fall in that camp for distinct iterations.
Old 30 April 2023, 10:12 PM   #408
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
I personally see it the other way around...
Yes, I read the thread.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2023, 12:21 AM   #409
Phrank
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

Yes, it is now more Omega-like I suppose but that could just be another way of saying it is now more balanced and proportional.
I see where you're coming from, I'm seeing the first ceramic bezel 500's Daytona being labelled a, "transition model" or something along those lines.

But I agree with what you're saying, the new one looks far more refined, the bezel properly integrated into the watch with a direct connection to the vintage Daytona's, was never of a fan of the 500 series Daytona's, went for the 520.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 01:28 AM   #410
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Really it is so close to the out going model that NO ONE not a WIS will not be able to tell the difference. I estimate everyone they offer will be sold including those offered to everybody who commented in this thread, positive or negative view.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 02:32 AM   #411
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

After seeing the side by side photos, I'm leaning towards the 116500. The newer version is nice, but it seems to have lost some of the charm of the outgoing model
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 02:41 AM   #412
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
Really it is so close to the out going model that NO ONE not a WIS will not be able to tell the difference. I estimate everyone they offer will be sold including those offered to everybody who commented in this thread, positive or negative view.
It isn't a giant change, that's true.

But we like what we like just like any other area...cars, shoes, food, lovers and wine. I had never desire to own the previous Submariner but couldn't wait to get my hands on the current 124060. I tried to get a 116520 but the prices kept rising beyond my tolerance years ago. I know it is loved by many but the 116500 just didn't do anything for me. The new Daytona in black on the other hand is very high on my wish list. It's just the way it is with some things. No amount of words are likely to change any of our minds and that's fine by me. Selfishly, the last thing I want is even higher demand for the new one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 1 May 2023, 04:24 AM   #413
Sephiroth
"TRF" Member

Wow that was a great piece! Could not agree more with the subjective conclusion.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 06:27 AM   #414
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
I see where you're coming from, I'm seeing the first ceramic bezel 500's Daytona being labelled a, "transition model" or something along those lines.
I truly don’t know, but do transitional models sometimes have a production life of 6-7 years? I kinda think of them as being short runs to use up old parts, or to be quickly revised and improved.
Old 1 May 2023, 07:56 AM   #415
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

With the new case, size, and bezel, the Daytona now looks like a GMT Master with pushers...I found the old case to be more charming and the smaller size attractive (even though I realize that those with big wrists may like the new version better).

We have lost differentiation, but I suspect that was really Rolex's goal anyway...more similarity between models = greater production savings. But I don't buy for a minute that this was done with any level of improvement to the consumer in mind.

And I won't even go into the movement changes since those have nearly only potential downside.

If I am going to buy a Daytona...it will be an old model.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 08:39 AM   #416
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I totally agree with the article. Wish I can afford a white dial 116500ln.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 09:02 AM   #417
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Agree 100%. No more silly asymmetric lugs, sharper and cleaner dial, vintage looking bezel ring, and a new case shape that will (hopefully) make it wear a little larger. Love it.
Couldn't agree more!
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 09:54 AM   #418
jefrkw
"TRF" Member

After seeing the 2 daytona side by side in picture, and if I am given opportunity to buy one I would personally choose the new one. "Beauty is in the eye of beholder"
jefrkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 10:04 AM   #419
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I quite like it. Looks better than the previous version.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2023, 10:05 AM   #420
Greglaw
Banned

Did you mean speechless?
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote