The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 3 November 2017, 04:25 AM   #421
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post
If you consider their sales campaigns from the earliest days, they were pretty much always a "look at me" company. Their advertising was all about owning pieces with bragging rights to great feats such as crossing channels, climbing mountains, hitting the deepest part of the ocean. Do this things have utility for the lifestyle or sport style of 99.9999999% of the world? Nope.
Actually, the campaign was about owning watches that could survive such feats.

No one needs to climb mountains, cross channels, or dive to the deepest depths of the oceans to push a wristwatch to its limits.

I remember a time when ordinary wristwatches were quite delicate.

It was the efforts of Rolex in creating rugged, durable, and waterproof wristwatches that influenced an entire industry to make watches that couldn't be ruined by overly-aggressive hand-washing, or worse, an unfortunate encounter with a mud puddle.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 3 November 2017, 04:37 AM   #422
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Actually, the campaign was about owning watches that could survive such feats.

No one needs to climb mountains, cross channels, or dive to the deepest depths of the oceans to push a wristwatch to its limits.

I remember a time when ordinary wristwatches were quite delicate.

It was the efforts of Rolex in creating rugged, durable, and waterproof wristwatches that influenced an entire industry to make watches that couldn't be ruined by overly-aggressive hand-washing, or worse, an unfortunate encounter with a mud puddle.
I added more as you were writing your response. The greater point is that they were selling their watches as the "best" available watches of their kind at early and pivotal points in watchmaking history. They have and continue to prey on aspects of human psychology to want and desire the best, which is part of the "look at me" ethos. They haven't changed that, just evolved it to the times and changing narcissism in world cultures.
Old 3 November 2017, 04:45 AM   #423
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

What has changed is Rolex's ability to charge increasingly greater sums of money based on increased popularity and increased public perception of the brand as being associated with quality/status.
Old 3 November 2017, 04:45 AM   #424
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
You are not alone.

I don't share that view, personally, although for someone who's thinking about paying a price for steel that approaches PM, then that certainly is the smarter route.

The better route in my opinion is to forget about the Daytona until one becomes available at MSRP and in the meantime enjoy any one of the myriad chronographs available on the market.

I like Rolex immensely, but I'm not into playing games or wasting money.
My sentiments exactly. The Daytona doesn't really sing to me. Not knocking it, I admire the watch but just not enough to want one. If only there was a nice 40mm chrono with date function, that appealed to me then I'd snap it up!
Old 3 November 2017, 07:37 AM   #425
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
What has changed is Rolex's ability to charge increasingly greater sums of money based on increased popularity and increased public perception of the brand as being associated with quality/status.
Actually Rolex are under-pricing many popular models such as the D500 and SS SkyD and that is contributing to the over-demand and hype and causing greys to happily take advantage and raise resale prices. I wish Rolex cared more about profits and making every last buck and then supply would meet demand for all the popular models and their revenue would be so much higher and we would all be happy customers, but instead they seemed more interested in playing the hype game, but now it has gone too far and is biting them in the arse as greys are the true beneficiaries of their Hunger Games, and Rolex are now desperately trying to cut off their supply. It's caused carnage in post Brexit UK ADs and that will now be Coming to America.
Old 3 November 2017, 08:24 AM   #426
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Actually Rolex are under-pricing many popular models such as the D500 and SS SkyD and that is contributing to the over-demand and hype and causing greys to happily take advantage and raise resale prices. I wish Rolex cared more about profits and making every last buck and then supply would meet demand for all the popular models and their revenue would be so much higher and we would all be happy customers, but instead they seemed more interested in playing the hype game, but now it has gone too far and is biting them in the arse as greys are the true beneficiaries of their Hunger Games, and Rolex are now desperately trying to cut off their supply. It's caused carnage in post Brexit UK ADs and that will now be Coming to America.
They don't seem underpriced to me in the context of previous models and steel vs gold prices. I sympathize with the situation though. I paid over retail for my D500. I've decided to wait on the SS SkyD for retail price on one whenever one comes in for my slot on the wating list.

Increasing demand and desire via limited supply seems to work well in their business model. Decreased availability increases the perception of status that having one of those low-availability watches offers (again, "look at me" tactics). It's a win/win for them in the long run I'm guessing. Over time, it appears the prices gradually creep up on all models.
Old 3 November 2017, 09:03 AM   #427
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
OP I can see where your coming from. Rolex knows thousands of people would purchase a Daytona C in an instant if they were in the show case. BUT they are choosing not to fill demand. What does this do......makes the AD's/boutiques a ton of money when they sell them at a mark up......we all know.

It sucks, but if you want to play ball, you have to follow their rules.

Rolex knows how to make money and this is one way to do just that
Old 3 November 2017, 09:06 AM   #428
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
OP I can see where your coming from. Rolex knows thousands of people would purchase a Daytona C in an instant if they were in the show case. BUT they are choosing not to fill demand. What does this do......makes the AD's/boutiques a ton of money when they sell them at a mark up......we all know.

It sucks, but if you want to play ball, you have to follow their rules.

Rolex knows how to make money and this is one way to do just that

Best indication of future behaviour is past behaviour. The 116520 was like this early on as well than as years passed became readily available. Anyone purchasing a Daytona C at marked up prices are losing $1500 right of that bat based on DavidSWs website. The Daytona C isnt going anywhere for the next decade. Only a matter of time before easier to get.
Old 3 November 2017, 10:24 AM   #429
eonflux
"TRF" Member

As long as Rolex sells all the watches they want, they won’t care about the OP’s rant.
Not saying I like the Rolex approach on this, but apparently they don’t care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Best indication of future behaviour is past behaviour. The 116520 was like this early on as well than as years passed became readily available. Anyone purchasing a Daytona C at marked up prices are losing $1500 right of that bat based on DavidSWs website. The Daytona C isnt going anywhere for the next decade. Only a matter of time before easier to get.
But there’s value to having a watch sooner than later.
How much is having the DaytonaC on your wrist worth?
$1 a day? $3/day? $5?
If $5, then getting it a year sooner is worth more than $1,500.
Old 3 November 2017, 10:33 AM   #430
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Agreed it’s silly that the wait is anywhere from 3-10 years and that ultimately let’s the grey market dealers to mark it up 5k. Crazy but it’s just how it is and that’s why I won’t be getting a Daytona C for a very long time :)
Old 3 November 2017, 10:40 AM   #431
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
As long as Rolex sells all the watches they want, they won’t care about the OP’s rant.
Not saying I like the Rolex approach on this, but apparently they don’t care.

But there’s value to having a watch sooner than later.
How much is having the DaytonaC on your wrist worth?
$1 a day? $3/day? $5?
If $5, then getting it a year sooner is worth more than $1,500.
I don't want it sooner if at all. I sold my 116520. Too small. I am just making an observation based on past Rolex history/behaviour.
Old 5 November 2017, 01:27 PM   #432
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
I added more as you were writing your response. The greater point is that they were selling their watches as the "best" available watches of their kind at early and pivotal points in watchmaking history. They have and continue to prey on aspects of human psychology to want and desire the best, which is part of the "look at me" ethos. They haven't changed that, just evolved it to the times and changing narcissism in world cultures.
Your cynicism is staggering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
Old 5 November 2017, 03:27 PM   #433
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

It's all up to the AD, I have a friend that works at an Rolex AD, he tells me it's who they want to sell to. They got 3-4 Daytona this year already, when it comes in they keep it in the back and don't display it at all and tell you they don't have it or never seen one this year yet bc it's all BS and a game they play. They have the SD43, green sub and Daytona in the back safely tucked away.
Old 10 November 2017, 03:10 AM   #434
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
Reminds how Hermès sells their birkin bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10 November 2017, 03:28 AM   #435
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
Quote:
Originally Posted by skkali168 View Post
Reminds how Hermès sells their birkin bags

Yep exactly.

Old 10 November 2017, 03:36 AM   #436
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
That a thread the starts with the OP title and is still around is amazing, though it might give a certain venting space. But I am not sure why that is needed.
Old 10 November 2017, 04:36 AM   #437
hsm
Banned

are there waiting lists for omega?

or is it just a rolex thing?
Old 10 November 2017, 04:53 AM   #438
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhtred59 View Post
That a thread the starts with the OP title and is still around is amazing, though it might give a certain venting space. But I am not sure why that is needed.
I think he's right on, and there are now several other threads with similar themes. Rolex is clearly choking supply of many popular models to create scarcity.
Old 10 November 2017, 07:26 AM   #439
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Truth be told, it's not only Rolex. I was on a waiting list for a year to buy a Monette trumpet that costs between $9,000 to over $15,000. Monette hand manufactures their trumpets hence the high price. Dave Monette could increase production and sales but then quality may suffer and Dave is about perfection. Wynton Marsalis and many professionals play Monette trumpets. I'm not a professional trumpet player, just an accomplished player who wants to own a very well manufactured instrument. I also like owning fine watches and, like many of you on this forum, are on a waiting list for a Daytona C. Hopefully, I won't have to wait a year or longer for the phone call but...
Old 10 November 2017, 07:41 AM   #440
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Truth be told, it's not only Rolex. I was on a waiting list for a year to buy a Monette trumpet that costs between $9,000 to over $15,000. Monette hand manufactures their trumpets hence the high price. Dave Monette could increase production and sales but then quality may suffer and Dave is about perfection. Wynton Marsalis and many professionals play Monette trumpets. I'm not a professional trumpet player, just an accomplished player who wants to own a very well manufactured instrument. I also like owning fine watches and, like many of you on this forum, are on a waiting list for a Daytona C. Hopefully, I won't have to wait a year or longer for the phone call but...
Yeah, that's very different than a mass produced luxury watch like a Rolex. These aren't exactly Phillip Dufours we're talking about.

I pretty much agree with the OP's post. At this point, I have little interest in what Rolex currently makes, or the vibe surrounding their watches and business, which is why I've never bought one of their watches from this decade.

If anything, in both price (with inflation) and ethos, Tudor has largely become the old Rolex.
Old 24 January 2022, 09:07 AM   #441
hochingyiu14
"TRF" Member

There is no waitlist. They are just trying to give you a "reasonable" excuse.

If you go to AD and drop $50k to buy some random stuff, the daytona is coming within a month (much faster than you think).

That's just how business does. I dont agree with it. That's why I paid for my panda in Davidsw $25k in 2020.
Old 24 January 2022, 09:33 AM   #442
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
that is insanity!!!!

the demand to actually take the stickers off so that you can't do what you want with your own watch??!??!?!

insanity.
I mean if that 7-8 year wait guarantees I get the Daytona C at retail, I'd gladly take off the stickers.
Closed Thread