The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 July 2024, 12:01 PM   #4471
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Nice!! Did the boutique let you buy the 222 after CDV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Then offered a perpetual ultrathin with blue dial after the 4520.
Old 3 August 2024, 09:08 AM   #4472
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Happy Friday

Enjoying my Dual Time
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_8121.jpeg (274.7 KB, 784 views)
Old 3 August 2024, 04:42 PM   #4473
zen123
"TRF" Member

Just bought this new style rubber strap by Vagenari for my dual time. Quality is A1 and I think it looks pretty good. I bought the grey and black colours.

zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 09:21 PM   #4474
arnage
"TRF" Member

The newer style vagenari strap in gray looks very nice. I have the one in light blue (partly because when it was released earlier in the year, it only came in three colors...). The gray is sharp, though!!

I noticed that now on the site, they offer variations for the x500 or x520 OS series. Do you have any idea if the x520 ones have the different taper like the OEM VC straps? It is unclear, and I don't think they have a 'customer service' contact. I'm sort of led to believe that it's the older (wider) taper, because the site specifically mentions for the x520 series that it comes with a buckle (or is to be used with the included buckle), i.e. suggesting that you cannot use the thinner clasp that the 4520 or 5520 come with.

I have a 4500, so it doesnr matter so much, but I thought about getting the strap for the 4520, if it does mean the taper is more aggressive.
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:29 AM   #4475
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quick ?

How come the Overseas doesn't hack seconds and does that bother anyone?

I doubt I'll ever be in a position to purchase a VC, but it seems the abilty to hack seconds is a universal feature that allow more accurate time keeping. On a watch so well constructed (much like FP Journe), it seems strange this feature is omitted.

Is it representative of more sophistication or perhaps an ode to traditionalism?

I'd like to know more.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:50 AM   #4476
magicman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Quick ?

I doubt I'll ever be in a position to purchase a VC, but it seems the abilty to hack seconds is a universal feature that allow more accurate time keeping. On a watch so well constructed (much like FP Journe), it seems strange this feature is omitted.

Is it representative of more sophistication or perhaps an ode to traditionalism?

I'd like to know more.
Funny that you bring up FP Journe. My Chronomètre Bleu doesn’t hack either.
magicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:54 AM   #4477
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
Correct! None of my six Journe watches do.
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 06:47 AM   #4478
Bug04
"TRF" Member

Sometime short replies are the most effective and exhaustive. This is a clear case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman View Post
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 08:57 AM   #4479
gferreira
"TRF" Member

New pickup :)

gferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 09:35 AM   #4480
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferreira View Post
A fine pick-up. Enjoy it in good health...
Old 7 August 2024, 02:14 PM   #4481
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferreira View Post

Teslas are awesome vehicles, drive it in health :)

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2024, 03:37 PM   #4482
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

are blue dial Dual times easier to get at the boutique these days? I see them trade well under retail but I wouldn't mind paying retail to start the relationship
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:24 AM   #4483
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Quick ?

I'd like to know more.
I don't know what is involved from a technical standpoint to make hacking seconds, and why some watches have it and some don't. It used to be important to me, but no longer is. Accuracy is far more important to me and I rarely need to know an exact time. So if my non-hacking watch is consistently say 30 seconds off I'm okay with that. I would be much more bothered if one of my watches kept poor time but hacks. So IMHO, if you love the watch otherwise I think you would get over it pretty quickly.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:30 AM   #4484
adamegret
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick ?

I'd like to know more.
https://youtu.be/dxdTCotV9X8?feature=shared

According to FP Journe in this video, the reasons for not having hacking seconds are:

a) The balance wheel should remain interrupted since it’s beating at 36k+

b) It takes away room for a bigger escapement wheel

Not sure why Patek or VC would care about these things though
adamegret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 06:06 AM   #4485
Bug04
"TRF" Member

FPJ says that crushing a lever on a balance wheel (whichever frequency) to hack causes wear on it and that’s for me one of the key reasons for not having it.
I think hacking is not a differentiating feature so if it’s not present I am not disturbed at all, rather I see less stress on components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamegret View Post

According to FP Journe in this video, the reasons for not having hacking seconds are:

Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:35 AM   #4486
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug04 View Post
FPJ says that crushing a lever on a balance wheel (whichever frequency) to hack causes wear on it and that’s for me one of the key reasons for not having it.
I think hacking is not a differentiating feature so if it’s not present I am not disturbed at all, rather I see less stress on components.

Agree. 3 of my favorite watches don't hack and I'm still alive to tell the tale.
Old 8 August 2024, 10:58 AM   #4487
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamegret View Post

Patek didn’t hack their workhorse 324 that was in several models for the longest time. I think they just started to hack in the last ~4 years… assuming out of market pressure since it’s a pretty big change in direction.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 09:18 AM   #4488
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I don't know what is involved from a technical standpoint to make hacking seconds, and why some watches have it and some don't. It used to be important to me, but no longer is. Accuracy is far more important to me and I rarely need to know an exact time. So if my non-hacking watch is consistently say 30 seconds off I'm okay with that. I would be much more bothered if one of my watches kept poor time but hacks. So IMHO, if you love the watch otherwise I think you would get over it pretty quickly.
I’m not a VCO owner but I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that movement accuracy is not the Overseas’ strongest point.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 09:31 AM   #4489
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I’m not a VCO owner but I’ve seen it mentioned a few times that movement accuracy is not the Overseas’ strongest point.
Within 2 seconds per day is pretty accurate to me. Also a Geneva Seal movement pretty good confirmation. All of my VC’s are very accurate which I would expect at that level.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 09:36 AM   #4490
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Within 2 seconds per day is pretty accurate to me. Also a Geneva Seal movement pretty good confirmation. All of my VC’s are very accurate which I would expect at that level.

Might as well post a pic too…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:55 PM   #4491
chaosiwe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismc14ch View Post
Hi. I ordered with no prior spending hostory, the silvered overseas with black sub dials chronograph in June 23 at the Zurich boutique, and it arrived late nov 23. This was a few months after that layout was launched.

That was the 5520 version with the slimmer tapered bracelet.

Black with white dials likely quicker.
Hi there. Have you ordered online or in person? I would love to order one myself. I do own 4500V, but would love to get newer slimmer Panda version
chaosiwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 06:38 AM   #4492
exp90
"TRF" Member

New to this side of the forum and VC. Have taken a strong liking to the 4520V with silver dial, on bracelet. Can I ask those who know the brand well, what is availability typically like for this reference? Additionally, do they typically hold value from rrp? Thanks in advance
exp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:34 AM   #4493
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
My 4520V is spot on and almost quartz-like accurate.
Old 10 August 2024, 05:01 PM   #4494
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
New to this side of the forum and VC. Have taken a strong liking to the 4520V with silver dial, on bracelet. Can I ask those who know the brand well, what is availability typically like for this reference? Additionally, do they typically hold value from rrp? Thanks in advance

The silver dial is for some reason the least popular variant. It took me less than a years wait for my 7900V silver dial even in rhe middle of the Covid craze.

Unfortunately value retention isn’t as good as e.g. my Royal Oak. My watch has lost around a bit more than 20% of value according to the (typically slightly inflated) Chrono24 valuations. And prices are still going down. Not sure if exactly the same for the 4520/7920 facelift, they’ve only been out for a short time.

It is in any case the watch that gets the most wrist time. It is amazingly versatile with the strap change option. And unlike Patek and AP, truly water resistant.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 05:25 PM   #4495
exp90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
The silver dial is for some reason the least popular variant. It took me less than a years wait for my 7900V silver dial even in rhe middle of the Covid craze.

Unfortunately value retention isn’t as good as e.g. my Royal Oak. My watch has lost around a bit more than 20% of value according to the (typically slightly inflated) Chrono24 valuations. And prices are still going down. Not sure if exactly the same for the 4520/7920 facelift, they’ve only been out for a short time.

It is in any case the watch that gets the most wrist time. It is amazingly versatile with the strap change option. And unlike Patek and AP, truly water resistant.
Thanks. The silver dial IMO is vastly the nicer of the three, all personal taste of course. Similarly I like the silver dial DJ41 over blue, green and wimbledons.

May I ask, did you need purchase history and was it an AD or a VC boutique? I’m trying to determine if it’s the same game as Rolex.

The price drop isn’t a deciding factor, though a VC is just beyond my price threshold, so there’s a psychological aspect to it. If bought, it would be to wear and pass on, not trade up later.

For this basic form of date watch, it’s a perfect reference.
Old 10 August 2024, 05:32 PM   #4496
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exp90 View Post
Thanks. The silver dial IMO is vastly the nicer of the three, all personal taste of course. Similarly I like the silver dial DJ41 over blue, green and wimbledons.

May I ask, did you need purchase history and was it an AD or a VC boutique? I’m trying to determine if it’s the same game as Rolex.

The price drop isn’t a deciding factor, though a VC is just beyond my price threshold, so there’s a psychological aspect to it. If bought, it would be to wear and pass on, not trade up later.

For this basic form of date watch, it’s a perfect reference.

No purchase history, this was my first holy trinity watch. VCs waiting list is a true waiting list, they don’t produce a lot (around 20K watches per year across all models, 3-4x less then Patek and AP)

I went into the boutique initially for a FiftySix Complete Calendar, but ended up putting my name on the list for an Overseas DT instead. I’m glad I did.

And like you, I only requested the silver dial.

It flies under the radar at first glance, but once you have a closer look you notice all the amazing details, like the laser sharp black hands and markers, the subtle sunburst of the dial. And when you turn the watch around it is pure beauty with the Geneva seal movement and the pretty rotor.

And I have yet to meet anybody wearing the same watch. Truly “one of not many”.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 06:59 PM   #4497
exp90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
No purchase history, this was my first holy trinity watch. VCs waiting list is a true waiting list, they don’t produce a lot (around 20K watches per year across all models, 3-4x less then Patek and AP)

I went into the boutique initially for a FiftySix Complete Calendar, but ended up putting my name on the list for an Overseas DT instead. I’m glad I did.

And like you, I only requested the silver dial.

It flies under the radar at first glance, but once you have a closer look you notice all the amazing details, like the laser sharp black hands and markers, the subtle sunburst of the dial. And when you turn the watch around it is pure beauty with the Geneva seal movement and the pretty rotor.

And I have yet to meet anybody wearing the same watch. Truly “one of not many”.
That’s good to know - as my Rolex AD doesn’t cover VC. It’s the Self winding Overseas I’m looking at, yours less the complications, other than date. I had been close to requesting a silver dial DJ41, but giving consideration to this instead, x2.5 the cost, so will be another year to reach. If the wait list is 12-18m, it can work. A lifetime purchase, so don’t want to get it wrong.

Like you say, glorious detail across every aspect. All in a compact package. Will try one on asap!
Old 12 August 2024, 08:18 AM   #4498
chrismc14ch
"TRF" Member

I ordered in the boutique.

Since then I was also offered a 222 in mid may which I also accepted 😀
chrismc14ch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 04:50 AM   #4499
exp90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismc14ch View Post