The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 July 2024, 01:12 AM   #31
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
First time I am hearing of watchcollecting.com, has anyone purchased from any of their auctions? Any issues with authenticity? 6% buyers premium feels a bit steep albeit still less than Sotheby's.

I’ve purchased from Watchcollecting. I have no complaints, the transaction was seamless. Given it was my first time using the platform I preferred meeting the seller in-person to inspect the watch. It all went smoothly. Also, Watchcollecting’s staff reached out multiple times to enquire if I needed any help.

I recently noticed the buyer premiums was raised to 10%. I wasn’t happy to see that and will adjust my bidding accordingly if I use the platform again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2024, 02:44 AM   #32
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I’ve purchased from Watchcollecting. I have no complaints, the transaction was seamless. Given it was my first time using the platform I preferred meeting the seller in-person to inspect the watch. It all went smoothly. Also, Watchcollecting’s staff reached out multiple times to enquire if I needed any help.

I recently noticed the buyer premiums was raised to 10%. I wasn’t happy to see that and will adjust my bidding accordingly if I use the platform again.

Even adding the 10% buyer fee and conversion of EUR to USD the prices are still well below Chrono, very interesting, would love to hear if others have experience with the as well.
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2024, 11:54 PM   #33
CarForHire
"TRF" Member

I made the mistake of trying on a 5740. If I could have 1 Nautilus for the rest of my life it would be it. The cheapest I saw a couple weeks ago was 190
CarForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 01:22 AM   #34
2000-NJDEVILS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
new, nothing below $220K... used, you can get at $200K. very few are available for sale.
There is no discounting on a VERY limited production PP masterpiece at the retail or pre-owned level in the US.
I would strongly suggest that If you really want it, you would be well advised to buy it new from a major Patek Philippe AD and call it a day - unlike 90% of PP watches that drop and plummet in value from MSRP, this beautiful piece is just like the 5711 and will always have a market for it……….
2000-NJDEVILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 03:51 AM   #35
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

How hard/big of a pain is it to re-set a 5740 if the movement dies?

Have no experience at all with perpetual calendars
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2024, 04:46 AM   #36
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
How hard/big of a pain is it to re-set a 5740 if the movement dies?

Have no experience at all with perpetual calendars
The 5740/1G has a power reserve of between 38 and 48 hours, and with routine use it is unlikely to need to be reset. It can also be kept on the supplied watch winder for extended periods of time off the wrist, which will also limit the need for it to be reset.

The complication of resetting the 5740/1G depends on how long it has been left with a drained power reserve. If it is a matter of a few days, then it can be wound forward easily to reset the various functions. If it is a longer period, then it is likely better to use the suppled pushpin and the various correctors located on the case to reset the functions. This is also fairly easy, although it will probably take around 5 minutes.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 12:53 AM   #37
strettyend
"TRF" Member

It’s pretty damn good

Old 24 July 2024, 12:57 AM   #38
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofthehill View Post
The 5740/1G has a power reserve of between 38 and 48 hours, and with routine use it is unlikely to need to be reset. It can also be kept on the supplied watch winder for extended periods of time off the wrist, which will also limit the need for it to be reset.

The complication of resetting the 5740/1G depends on how long it has been left with a drained power reserve. If it is a matter of a few days, then it can be wound forward easily to reset the various functions. If it is a longer period, then it is likely better to use the suppled pushpin and the various correctors located on the case to reset the functions. This is also fairly easy, although it will probably take around 5 minutes.
Thanks for indulging me, that's very cool it comes with a winder. Without getting into politics I don't wear my watches half as much as I used to here in the US due to crime, usually unless I am certain I can wear sleeves and know where I'm going. Crazy to me. Haven't bought or used a winder before, but that's why I was asking as all my watches typically die and then I reset from Aqua to Naut to Daytonas when ready to use
Old 24 July 2024, 12:58 AM   #39
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
It’s pretty damn good

Bloody gorgeous. It would be a toss up between this and green 5711 to me as I was just shopping grey market and prices appear to be just about the same now.. I guess it would have been too much to ask Patek to throw a sweeping seconds hand in there for 5740!
Old 24 July 2024, 01:03 AM   #40
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
Bloody gorgeous. It would be a toss up between this and green 5711 to me as I was just shopping grey market and prices appear to be just about the same now.. I guess it would have been too much to ask Patek to throw a sweeping seconds hand in there for 5740!

It’s funny you mention that as the lack of a seconds hand was my primary hesitation before pulling the trigger. I like my watches to appear “alive.” After owning it it’s no bother though I just love everything about the execution of this watch.

Green 5711 is beautiful but the heft of the gold takes the Nautilus and it’s bracelet up several notches. It’s why I couldn’t buy the 5712 once I held the 5740.
Old 24 July 2024, 10:01 AM   #41
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
Green 5711 is beautiful but the heft of the gold takes the Nautilus and it’s bracelet up several notches. It’s why I couldn’t buy the 5712 once I held the 5740.
I agree that gold makes a difference. I was always underwhelmed by the 5711. 5811 did it for me.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 05:19 PM   #42
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I agree that gold makes a difference. I was always underwhelmed by the 5711. 5811 did it for me.
The rose gold one has/had a nice heft to it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2024, 06:47 PM   #43
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
The rose gold one has/had a nice heft to it.

Great point. I would own a /1R. At the time, I had a 15202OR, and didn’t want both.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2024, 02:00 AM   #44
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Great point. I would own a /1R. At the time, I had a 15202OR, and didn’t want both.
Yep totally get that. I could have purchased it back in the day when I had an AD but I was always after YG stuff. I did like it though.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2024, 02:29 PM   #45
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous1984 View Post
Is the demand for the 5740 still high? Has anyone here had a recent success securing one on the grey market, and if so how much did you pay?

Lowest I’ve seen recently was 188 listed on Moda for I believe a 19. Pretty good considering list now is 152k though the new clasp is amazing.

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2024, 01:28 AM   #46
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
Lowest I’ve seen recently was 188 listed on Moda for I believe a 19. Pretty good considering list now is 152k though the new clasp is amazing.

2021 for $189k. The seller relisted this a few times with multiple price drops. Gives me the impression there aren’t many buyers out there at the moment for these at $200k.

It’s not marked sold so could still be available. (There are also a few others in the $185-190 range from other production years)

Relative to other Nautilus references, this is by far the best value in my opinion.

Old 29 July 2024, 02:43 AM   #47
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

This is still the best Nautilus complication.
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2024, 02:51 AM   #48
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Pretty crazy times we live in that I'm thinking to myself "only" ~25% markup (~40-50k over) for a full bracelet Nautilus is a deal... considering the steel pieces are what, 200%+ over ha ha

5740 is incredible as just a bystander, to get a perpetual calendar in that slim of a case with that beautiful blue dial is money!
Old 29 July 2024, 05:36 AM   #49
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

This thread makes me want to go get a 5740g
Old 29 July 2024, 05:46 AM   #50
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

^ I was very close to pulling the trigger on Friday for the same reason, decided on something else
Old 29 July 2024, 06:54 AM   #51
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Going to keep spamming to help people make the move :)

Old 29 July 2024, 10:41 AM   #52
elmoboy
"TRF" Member

Tried one from a dealer.. It's mine dream watch.. However there is no second hand.. So u wun know the watch is dead or alive.
elmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2024, 11:53 AM   #53
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoboy View Post
Tried one from a dealer.. It's mine dream watch.. However there is no second hand.. So u wun know the watch is dead or alive.
Wait 2 minutes and see if the minute hand moves?
Old 29 July 2024, 08:34 PM   #54
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too but white gold shows the slightest hair of a scratch however one tries to take great care of it.

I know, I know ‘patina’ provides ‘character’ but something about the flat face seems to be more prone to marking than other WG pieces such as the 5320G.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2024, 09:09 PM   #55
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
Me too but white gold shows the slightest hair of a scratch however one tries to take great care of it.

I know, I know ‘patina’ provides ‘character’ but something about the flat face seems to be more prone to marking than other WG pieces such as the 5320G.
It shows just so much more on the brushed flat face. A steel Nautilus can stay in pretty good shape as long as one doesn't knock it around. I know, easier said than done when wearing it every day.

Back to the 5740... I was waiting when Patek pulled the plug on my AD and I should probably do the rounds with the ADs in my state now. Demand doesn't seem to be crazy as the opportunity for flippers is all but gone.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 10:56 PM   #56
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Will be interesting to see what this closes at. Even with the buyer premium, the site seems to end up with lower prices than C24 and Moda.

https://watchcollecting.com/for-sale...ual-calendar-2
Old 31 July 2024, 12:12 AM   #57
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
Will be interesting to see what this closes at. Even with the buyer premium, the site seems to end up with lower prices than C24 and Moda.

https://watchcollecting.com/for-sale...ual-calendar-2

I’m curious with this one as well; though, I have been following this auction since it was listed in “coming soon” and the photos were changed. The original photos had a much more worn watch, even what looked like dirt/grease in multiple bracelet links and the crystal dome. When the listing went live, different photos were uploaded showing a completely clean watch. Not implying a switch-a-roo, but makes me wonder if a watch dealer disassembled the watch to clean it.

And you’re right, Watchcollecting prices are always lower, even compared to Moda. I suspect a lot of bidders in Moda are other watch dealers bidding up the price (purely speculation on my part).

Old 31 July 2024, 12:25 AM   #58
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Looks like prices are way soft compared to where I purchased late Feb. Guess I have to keep it forever now :)
Old 31 July 2024, 02:24 AM   #59
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
And you’re right, Watchcollecting prices are always lower, even compared to Moda. I suspect a lot of bidders in Moda are other watch dealers bidding up the price (purely speculation on my part).
Would you have any concerns purchasing from this site? I am trying to weight some pros/cons before I submit bids and haven't found anyone that had purchased here yet.
Old 31 July 2024, 02:32 AM   #60
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
Would you have any concerns purchasing from this site? I am trying to weight some pros/cons before I submit bids and haven't found anyone that had purchased here yet.

I purchased my 5326g on there earlier this year. Customer service was very helpful and reached out multiple times to ensure the transaction was going smoothly after winning the auction.

I preferred inspecting the watch in-person so I flew to London and met the seller (a grey dealer). The watch wasn’t the one from the listing but all checked out and the papers were actually dated more recently so I wasn’t upset.

That being said, if a buyer would run in to trouble I sense there would be little recourse or buyer protection, if any at all. Given another TRF users recent experience with buying a 5712 (see the Watchout section), I would be extremely cautious. From now on, any watches I purchase I will see about going to an AD to verify all is correct.