The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2006, 04:42 PM   #31
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
JJ is found to be the biggest, most passionate Rolex owner in all of Kiwi land...David
You got that right, pal!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2006, 10:33 PM   #32
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
I keep reading about those 35,000 watches a year. Where is this published? I say this because I think there’s something wrong with this number. Why is it that I can buy a Panerai without effort (and even a great number second hand), even in a small country like mine? Are there waiting lists? Not that I’m aware of. 35,000 watches for the entire globe is so little these watches must be rarer than a Dutchman giving away money. And yet they are not. Now there are a couple of possibilities: a. the brand is unknown to the great public (not, fakes are abundant), b. the brand is not very popular (I wouldn’t know this) or the number is incorrect. Don’t you think that number of 35,000 watches is at least a bit illogical? When I wanted to buy a run of the mill 16610 in 2000 I was put on a waiting list for crying out loud. For a mass produced watch. And I can buy a Panny if I want to tomorrow. What gives? This is not an attempt to start a row, I’m just wondering.

What John said.... Also, in a recent interview in WatchTime magazine with the the Panny CEO, he was quoted as saying Panerai will continue to keep production of it's watches to 35,000, and with the addition of the ferrari line (branded 'Ferrari, engineered by Panerai) that production will creep to 40,000 units per year, but certainly no more.

Also, in Canada there are only three authorized dealers to service 35 million people. Among WIS, lots know about the brand. Among the great unwashed, it's Pan-er-what?
Old 22 July 2006, 03:28 AM   #33
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I was on the phone with my AD this morning in reference to an entirely different subject, and told them about the thoughts and feelings in this thread. I got the usual excuses and she promised to have her manager call me back about this. To my surprise, he did. I just spoke with him, and guess what Rolex is offering,

Are you ready?

You guys will never believe this

NOTHING!.......................................... ...... NADDA,.................................... ZIP,.................................. ZILTCH,........................................... ......... ZERO.............................................. .........BUPKISS
He did, however, assure me that a price hike was looming and he expected it to go into effect some time in the fall. I asked if this was the same price hike he expected by this past spring. Turns out that it is the very same one. Well, at least they're consistent I also asked about the new SS GMT II and when to expect one in, he said he is hoping by the holidays but a more realistic expectation is Feb. 07
Old 22 July 2006, 03:33 AM   #34
Atomic

Wow Craig... my shock and absolute disbelief are incredibly underwhelming.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:41 AM   #35
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Wow Craig... my shock and absolute disbelief are incredibly underwhelming.
Yes, I was rather astonished myself I was really expecting courtesy anniversary SS GMT, or a catalog, or a key-chain, or a friggen refrigerator magnet Something, anything All I got was another reason to try that BIG, EYE-Talyon brand again
Old 22 July 2006, 03:47 AM   #36
----

I'll give them credit for being consistent.
Old 22 July 2006, 03:47 AM   #37
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
All I got was another reason to try that BIG, EYE-Talyon brand again
Old 22 July 2006, 11:57 AM   #38
RandyS
"TRF" Member

most people who buy Rolex watches dont even know there are other high end, expensively made watches...

they would not know to ask for any goodies or know to compare their experience to anything else...
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 01:50 PM   #39
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
most people who buy Rolex watches dont even know there are other high end, expensively made watches...

they would not know to ask for any goodies or know to compare their experience to anything else...
How true, unfortunately
Old 22 July 2006, 03:50 PM   #40
Mr.RadioActive

Maybe Im just a new guy, but after buying a $8500 watch I was kinda disappointed to see a book that looked like it was printed in 1972 and the other book for the newest style datejust maybe looked from 1992. But I dont read the books. The watch sure looks sweet!
Mr.RadioActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2006, 05:39 PM   #41
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RadioActive View Post
Maybe Im just a new guy, but after buying a $8500 watch I was kinda disappointed to see a book that looked like it was printed in 1972 and the other book for the newest style datejust maybe looked from 1992. But I dont read the books. The watch sure looks sweet!
Can't say I blame you, pal....here take a look at these standard booklets that come with any Rolex. The first one shows the very old style Jubilee bracelet with the coronet sticking out over the clasp, as well as the older Oyster bracelet.....

And now take a look at the slightly improved newer booklet with the later Jubilee and Oyster bracelets. However, they still haven't brought in booklets with the very latest ALL SOLID LINKS Oyster and Jubilee bracelets.....God alone knows when that will happen!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 22 July 2006, 06:39 PM   #42
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

And now take a look at the slightly improved newer booklet with the later Jubilee and Oyster bracelets. However, they still haven't brought in booklets with the very latest ALL SOLID LINKS Oyster and Jubilee bracelets.....God alone knows when that will happen!!
Maybe when you stop shagging sheep.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 05:28 AM   #43
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Maybe when you stop shagging sheep.
That was supposed to be a serious post...yeah, right!! In which century will you guys ever take me seriously? Dumb question, I guess!!

Old 23 July 2006, 05:31 AM   #44
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That was supposed to be a serious post...yeah, right!! In which century will you guys ever take me seriously? Dumb question, I guess!!
Well, lets see, you've lived through at least seven so far Could be this one, possibly the next though
Old 23 July 2006, 09:26 AM   #45
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Well >>

If I had to purchase a watch other than Rolex it would probably be a JLC. I have looked at Lange and others but I really like some of JLC's offerings. However, as stated before I do not really want a dress watch and most of these high end brands are not made for a 'sports' type lifestyle. They are more fragile, which leaves Rolex, the 'tank' of luxury watches. I care most about the watch in the box, not the little goodies. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 10:26 AM   #46
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick View Post
I care most about the watch in the box, not the little goodies. =) maverick
Great post Dennis!! I agree about the quality of JLC, but agree more with the above statement.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 06:37 PM   #47
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
If I had to purchase a watch other than Rolex it would probably be a JLC. I have looked at Lange and others but I really like some of JLC's offerings. However, as stated before I do not really want a dress watch and most of these high end brands are not made for a 'sports' type lifestyle. They are more fragile, which leaves Rolex, the 'tank' of luxury watches. I care most about the watch in the box, not the little goodies. =) maverick
Right you are, Dennis....however the big goodies are always welcome....LOVE 'em!!

Old 23 July 2006, 10:21 PM   #48
----

Quote:
I think your comment about how robust the other brands are is a bit off the mark. If you do some looking you will find that many brands (JLC in particular) make some very rugged watches. I think many people make assumptions about how fragile these "brands" are rather than looking at their watch line-up and understanding that they do produce some watch models that are very immune to things like shocks, etc.
Old 24 July 2006, 12:57 AM   #49
Southern Jessie

Yep - as John said I was invited to a JLC workshop at their HQ in London in Jan 2004. Most of the people there were managers/salespeople from JLC ADs plus also journalists.

The watchmaster from Geneva showed us how to disasemble and reassemble the JLC 8-day power reserve. This movement would be used in the largest sized Reverso later that year.

It was a great experience and I was very fortunate to win a place. JLC were very generous - they gave away some merchandise and even the white watchmaker's jacket you see me wearing in the photo.

I was the only one with a Panerai at the event but I'm sure a lot of people liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
Our boy Shane (Southern Jessie) was invited to one of these events and from what I remember, he quite enjoyed it, although they didn't let him take any watches home gratis.
Southern Jessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2006, 01:09 AM   #50
Southern Jessie

Just to briefly answer this topic: personally I like the bits and pieces that come with a watch, pen, etc. I know at the end of the day it's the main product that matters, but to me, if I buy a £2500 watch I don't think it's too much to ask for it to come in a nice wooden box.

Look at the other brands and you'll see much better packaging. Even the early Princes came in a nice box....much better than the ordinary green ones. Panerai has cool pearwood boxes of different sizes. And it wouldn't cost a lot to make a nice wooden box.....anyone who has received a box from Rob on Paneristi (Daren...?) will know that he makes these as a hobby and they are 100 times better than the crappy box that Rolex supplies.

At the end of the day Rolex doesn't need to give anything extra - their sales speak for themselves, and the truth is most of us would rather have a reliable watch and rubbish packaging/accessories than a watch that comes with amazing packaging but gives trouble. However, the extra attention to detail and a bit more customer awareness wouldn't go amiss, would it....?
Old 24 July 2006, 04:44 AM   #51
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jessie View Post
Just to briefly answer this topic: personally I like the bits and pieces that come with a watch, pen, etc. I know at the end of the day it's the main product that matters, but to me, if I buy a £2500 watch I don't think it's too much to ask for it to come in a nice wooden box.

Look at the other brands and you'll see much better packaging. Even the early Princes came in a nice box....much better than the ordinary green ones. Panerai has cool pearwood boxes of different sizes. And it wouldn't cost a lot to make a nice wooden box.....anyone who has received a box from Rob on Paneristi (Daren...?) will know that he makes these as a hobby and they are 100 times better than the crappy box that Rolex supplies.

At the end of the day Rolex doesn't need to give anything extra - their sales speak for themselves, and the truth is most of us would rather have a reliable watch and rubbish packaging/accessories than a watch that comes with amazing packaging but gives trouble. However, the extra attention to detail and a bit more customer awareness wouldn't go amiss, would it....?
Spot-on, Shane....good post!

BTW, in that top picture, your dome certainly shines more than mine!! How the hell do you do it?

Old 24 July 2006, 06:00 AM   #52
Southern Jessie

Quote:
Spot-on, Shane....good post!

BTW, in that top picture, your dome certainly shines more than mine!! How the hell do you do it?
I use car wax, JJ!
Old 24 July 2006, 12:48 PM   #53
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Jessie View Post
Panerai has cool pearwood boxes of different sizes. And it wouldn't cost a lot to make a nice wooden box.....anyone who has received a box from Rob on Paneristi (Daren...?) will know that he makes these as a hobby and they are 100 times better than the crappy box that Rolex supplies.
Yup, got a Rob box and cherish it as much or more than the watches. The sentiment and meaning behind it makes me smile just thinking about it.

And talk about a piece of art, he makes some outstanding boxes and gives them away to Paneristi out of the kindness of his heart.

He is a man that only knows generousity and PASSION.

Some old pics of the box that he sent me.

Old 24 July 2006, 04:39 PM   #54
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Beautiful finish to that box, Daren. Love the light-coloured look on the wood. Excellent quality!!

Old 24 July 2006, 11:05 PM   #55
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Yup, got a Rob box and cherish it as much or more than the watches. The sentiment and meaning behind it makes me smile just thinking about it.

And talk about a piece of art, he makes some outstanding boxes and gives them away to Paneristi out of the kindness of his heart.

He is a man that only knows generousity and PASSION.

Some old pics of the box that he sent me.

I like the boxes, Daren. But I like the contents more. I'm sorry you flipped that GMT. It's the best looking PAM I've seen. And the Luminor Sub isn't too bad either.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 01:10 PM   #56
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I like the boxes, Daren. But I like the contents more. I'm sorry you flipped that GMT. It's the best looking PAM I've seen. And the Luminor Sub isn't too bad either.
I do love the 88, Ed, but I am just more a fan of the historics. I do have a Submersible in the collection though.

Old 25 July 2006, 04:29 PM   #57
Atl

Watch: GMT II, new Subbie
How, prey tell, did this turn into a Love-in for Paneri? I tell you what, the next serious thread, I'm gonna school you boys on the finer points of Jeager LeCoultre, or maybe Seiko, hell, I'll write a whole two paragraphs on my first watch, given to me at the tender age of eight, a manual Timex on a fetching navy blue vinyl strap. I loved that watch! It was my first mechanical given to me by my Grandmother. So be warned!! You tossers, flaming head Satan lovers, and sheep molesters!! Hell, I'll put you all on the Bulova watch catalog mailing list! That'll teach you to respect my thread!
Atl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 04:33 PM   #58
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl View Post
How, prey tell, did this turn into a Love-in for Paneri? I tell you what, the next serious thread, I'm gonna school you boys on the finer points of Jeager LeCoultre, or maybe Seiko, hell, I'll write a whole two paragraphs on my first watch, given to me at the tender age of eight, a manual Timex on a fetching navy blue vinyl strap. I loved that watch! It was my first mechanical given to me by my Grandmother. So be warned!! You tossers, flaming head Satan lovers, and sheep molesters!! Hell, I'll put you all on the Bulova watch catalog mailing list! That'll teach you to respect my thread!
LOL! You show 'em, David!!