The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 November 2005, 01:00 PM   #31
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
WTF is that Daren.,surely you mean. I resent that remark when will
you bloody foreigners, learn to speak bloody English.
When the foreigners learn to loosen up and read between the lines, rather than just the literal words.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 01:01 PM   #32
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by molex
No problem: The GMT is a tool watch, and I just checked my toolbox, and didn't see a single hint of gold.
Micah, you tightarse, you need to spend some real money on your tools.

Old 10 November 2005, 01:02 PM   #33
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
I would never make fun of your watches. You have two of my dream watches, ya hoser.
mate!!

Old 10 November 2005, 01:39 PM   #34
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Of the 4 Rolex watches I have had the one that is most useful is the GMT II. I have all three bezels so I can change the look. I use the extra time zone but do not dive. The smaller crown can be more comfortable. Even if I did I could still used the GMT II. I do love the Sub also, being a real classic Rolex. My suggestion is to try several on including a TT and buy the one that winks at you. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 07:55 PM   #35
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
When the foreigners learn to loosen up and read between the lines, rather than just the literal words.
I resemble that remark.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 10:36 PM   #36
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Kromax, Go to a AD and ask to try on both a SS and a TT in the presence of your wife and buy the mutually agreed upon watch of your choice! As I'm sure she will assist you in proper SS vs. TT on your wrist.

Just my 2 cents
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2005, 11:13 PM   #37
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Kromax, Go to a AD and ask to try on both a SS and a TT in the presence of your wife and buy the mutually agreed upon watch of your choice! As I'm sure she will assist you in proper SS vs. TT on your wrist.

Just my 2 cents
Earl, are you crazy, man? Involving the wife in a watch purchase? He'll leave empty handed and disappointed.
Old 10 November 2005, 11:17 PM   #38
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Not necessarily, John. Look at Bruce - he had a good 48 hours before Tam made him emptyhanded.
Old 10 November 2005, 11:23 PM   #39
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Not necessarily, John. Look at Bruce - he had a good 48 hours before Tam made him emptyhanded.
Tam is an exception to the rule, mate.
Old 10 November 2005, 11:47 PM   #40
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Gosh, your right I didn't think of it that way :o(
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 01:05 AM   #41
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Earl, are you crazy, man? Involving the wife in a watch purchase? He'll leave empty handed and disappointed.
Yes, and the Mrs. with a fur coat, new shoes, handbag and perfume. Plus bags of stuff HE has to carry

Frans.
Old 11 November 2005, 01:08 AM   #42
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
I resemble that remark.
What a great way to start my morning, falling out of my chair laughing.

Old 11 November 2005, 01:09 AM   #43
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Yes, and the Mrs. with a fur coat, new shoes, handbag and perfume. Plus bags of stuff HE has to carry

Frans.

Old 11 November 2005, 05:11 AM   #44
Kromax

Quote:

Fortunately, the wife is "giving it to me" for our anniversary (I'm buying it).

Here's a funny story...

For Christmas the year of our wedding, I decided to get my wife a nice new watch. I decided upon a Raymond Weil (I can't remember the model), which I thought would look lovely on her relatively thin wrist. For two weeks, I wandered all over NYC on foot, attempting to negotiate the best possible price. Ultimately, I was able to get the price down to about $1,900 (I think retail was about $2,300), but the catch was if I bought it and she didn't like it, I could only exchange it for another watch. There were no refunds. Because she was raised in a poor family, I had misgivings about her reaction to the purchase, so I called her from the store and told her I was about to buy her a fairly expensive watch, and asked her if she was OK with that. She said "is it more than $150?" I hung up the phone and apologized to the salesman.

Okay, a second story...

Two years later, I bought her a beautiful sapphire crucifix to commemorate her 30th birthday, as well as the birth of our first son. It cost me $1,500. I did not call her this time. When I gave it to her, she was blown away, but I knew I had about twenty days to "sell it" to her before the bill came. I explained how it was her birthstone, how the blue represented our boy, how it symbolized our commitment to Christ, etc. When the credit card bill came, she flipped out, telling me that she thought it was about $200. I begged her not to return it, and she ultimately relented, but it was a few years before she "forgave" me for indulging her.

And a third...

Fast forward five more years to this past Summer. She's driving a 2003 Honda Odyssey, and sees the 2005 model in the showroom. She not only has to have it, but she "needs" the Touring model, which is almost 39K! So I bought it for her. What a difference seven years makes!

And now for the irony...

When we were first married she was in banking and made a fairly decent salary. Now, she is a stay at home mom. Fortunately, my salary has increased since then, or we would probably be bankrupt.
Kromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2005, 05:28 AM   #45
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromax
Fortunately, the wife is "giving it to me" for our anniversary.
Nah, too easy.

Frans.
Old 11 November 2005, 05:33 AM   #46
Atomic

Quote:
Fortunately, the wife is "giving it to me" for our anniversary (I'm buying it).
If you said you've been married seven years, you're making a newbie mistake...

Lesson one of being married. Wifes never give their husbands anything. It may not cost money, but it costs you... something... somewhere down the line.
Old 11 November 2005, 05:37 AM   #47
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you said you've been married seven years, you're making a newbie mistake...

Lesson one of being married. Wifes never give their husbands anything. It may not cost money, but it costs you... something... somewhere down the line.
I beat you to it, ha, ha!

Frans.
Old 1 December 2005, 11:40 PM   #48
Kromax

I don't know about TRF, but thread resurrection is bad form on some other forums, but this is my thread and I have an update...

I picked up the SS GMT Master II (black/black) at Tourneau here in NYC Wednesday afternoon. (As a bonus, I was about ten feet away from Paris Hilton while making the purchase. She was there to hype the release of her new watch). Much like a newly-engaged female, I could not stop looking at my left hand the rest of the day. My seven year old Tag Heuer Kirium Chronograph Quartz (which keeps amazing time, by the way), is now my secondary watch after many years of good service. Since it was a wedding present for my wife, it will always have a place in my heart, if not on my wrist. (Actually, the chrono comes in handy for timing things on the grill, so I'll break it out for the weekend grilling sessions. Yes, I grill here in the suburbs of NY 12 months a year.)

I want to thank all of the people on this forum for your input (not just to me, but I've read every thread since joining), your insight, and your unbelievable hospitality. I've seen some of the amazing things you've done for one another in the Non-Rolex part of the forum, and they have been frequent topics of discussion with my wife. I would post more, but I don't want to clutter the board, being a non-expert and all.

This weekend, I will try to take some pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a professional camera or anything, just a 4 megapixel Canon Elf. So if anyone has any tips on taking good closeups with that camera (or a similar one), I would appreciate your help. Of course, you've seen the watch a million times anyway.

Thanks again.

Noah Kromaksian a/k/a Kromax
Old 1 December 2005, 11:52 PM   #49
Atomic

Quote:
I don't know about TRF, but thread resurrection is bad form on some other forums, but this is my thread and I have an update...

I picked up the SS GMT Master II (black/black) at Tourneau here in NYC Wednesday afternoon. (As a bonus, I was about ten feet away from Paris Hilton while making the purchase. She was there to hype the release of her new watch). Much like a newly-engaged female, I could not stop looking at my left hand the rest of the day. My seven year old Tag Heuer Kirium Chronograph Quartz (which keeps amazing time, by the way), is now my secondary watch after many years of good service. Since it was a wedding present for my wife, it will always have a place in my heart, if not on my wrist. (Actually, the chrono comes in handy for timing things on the grill, so I'll break it out for the weekend grilling sessions. Yes, I grill here in the suburbs of NY 12 months a year.)

I want to thank all of the people on this forum for your input (not just to me, but I've read every thread since joining), your insight, and your unbelievable hospitality. I've seen some of the amazing things you've done for one another in the Non-Rolex part of the forum, and they have been frequent topics of discussion with my wife. I would post more, but I don't want to clutter the board, being a non-expert and all.

This weekend, I will try to take some pictures. Unfortunately, I don't have a professional camera or anything, just a 4 megapixel Canon Elf. So if anyone has any tips on taking good closeups with that camera (or a similar one), I would appreciate your help. Of course, you've seen the watch a million times anyway.

Thanks again.

Noah, how can thread resurection be a bad thing when you make an outstanding post like the one above? Glad you got the beast and are enjoying the hell out of it. Congrats! BTW, post as often as you like. We all started out not knowing much, and we don't bite people's heads off here for asking a question (unlike other Rolex specific fora).

As for photography, we have some great shooters here. Just post some specifics that you want to do and I'm sure one of us has some advice.

Again, congrats!
Old 1 December 2005, 11:52 PM   #50
Atomic

BTW, does Paris look as hot in person?
Old 1 December 2005, 11:57 PM   #51
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:

Thanks again.

Congratulations on a supurb purchase, Noah. I can fully understand why you can't take your eyes off the all black GMT. I've had mine for nearly two years now. It is my daily wearer and I, too, always find my eyes gravitating to it several times a day. I won't steal your thunder by posting pics of mine. I can't wait to see yours, though.

As for not wanting to post more because you are not an expert, don't ever let that stop you. There are very few experts here. There are a bunch of people who know quite a bit, but the rest of us (myself included) are here because we like watches, but we like people - good people - more. We post because we enjoy it - and we like to hear ourselves talk. So don't be a wallflower. Jump in - the water's fine.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 12:34 AM   #52
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Congrats Noah, that is a great purchase mate!! Enjoy it for many years to come mate!!

And please feel free to jump in the fray, expert advice is not needed, just make fun of someone.

Old 2 December 2005, 01:13 AM   #53
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hey Noah congratulations. I think you've made Ed a happy man. Please post at any time, that's what we are here for.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2005, 01:56 AM   #54
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Congrats Noah, that is a great purchase mate!! Enjoy it for many years to come mate!!

And please feel free to jump in the fray, expert advice is not needed, just make fun of someone.

Congrats on the purchase, and as Daren has noted, just make fun of someone.....by the way, "someone" is our nickname for JJ, just in case you missed that.

Old 2 December 2005, 01:57 AM   #55
Kromax

Quote:
BTW, does Paris look as hot in person?
I was about 10 feet away from her and I was in awe. It was like staring at a work of art--not that I'm thinking of her as an object.
Old 2 December 2005, 01:58 AM   #56
Atomic

Quote:
I was about 10 feet away from her and I was in awe. It was like staring at a work of art--not that I'm thinking of her as an object.
Good to hear. She is hot, for a blonde.
Old 2 December 2005, 02:00 AM   #57
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to hear. She is hot, for a blonde.
She could be the new James Bond, what do you think?

Member #10
Old 2 December 2005, 02:05 AM   #58
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ
She could be the new James Bond, what do you think?
Wouldn't you rather have her as your Bond girl, James?
Old 2 December 2005, 02:53 AM   #59
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldn't you rather have her as your Bond girl, James?
To be honest, she does nothing for me. I think she looks plastic.

Member #10
Old 2 December 2005, 03:14 AM   #60
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Congrats, Noah, on an excellent acquisition. You've assured yourself a permanent spot on this forum with that baby as far as Ed is concerned!! You've made him one happy chappy!!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote