The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2007, 10:39 AM   #31
boogerhead
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S Submariner
I think it'll be a while before watches are obsolete. Although I agree that lots of people use their cell phones instead of wearing a watch, I think part of the reason is to flash their cool electronics. Just watch someone with their flip phone flip it open with one hand to check the time- smooth ;) Gadgets are terrific, but fine timepieces are still my favorite.
boogerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2007, 10:43 AM   #32
paypalbid

I'm in my mid 20's and most of my friends dont wear watches because they say it bothers their wrist, and they say it doesn't feel right. They only wear digital watches when we are at the police academy to look at their running time. Many will argue as many have mentioned that time is available on cell phone, laptops, PDAs, Gym, and Public places. To me a watch is just a neat item cause it a self expression thing and it can be an appropriate piece of jewelery for a man. I feel lucky cause my grand father and my father have influnced me to gravitate toward nice watches.
paypalbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2007, 11:11 AM   #33
waltk1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 5513
There will always be those who don't care about and won't wear a watch. I was talking to the Tourneau manager, I said that there are many who don't know one watch from another. He feels more than we realize he sees an increase in people who are getting into quality watches. A one just indicated Rolex did over 1,000,000 plus how about all the other makes. Tourneau sells tons. They can't keep Panerai in their cases. I do believe this guy. I don't feel watches are dying.
waltk1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2007, 03:13 AM   #34
Zingari
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
My late father never wore a watch or any jewellery. Me, I can't survive without one with a date on it!
Old 31 July 2007, 03:54 AM   #35
Interested Bystander

Watch: Rolex Oysterdate
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebroker View Post
To buy a high grade watch you have to fall in love with them first, unless you have money like Onassis that is.
Bingo, you could keep great time with a quartz $20 watch if timekeeping was your goal. I bought an $8 watch at Big Lots that keeps perfect time, it's so cheap the caseback cant even be opened. You just throw it away and start over.

But a fine watch with a mechanical movement is something that can fascinate you, the ingenuity it took to design and manufacture such a piece, the look of beauty or even ruggedness a fine watch can have.

Who in their right mind would spend over $1000 bucks on a "watch" unless they just loved it or were rich.

I would imagine the average Rolex owner makes less than a $100,000 a year as an individual and still he is going to get that watch, because they love it.
Interested Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote