The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 July 2024, 04:43 PM   #31
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Blancpain...why no love?

Blancpain…why no love?

Simple answer: it is NOT the high quality of the watches or anything else. It is the site where you ask: a subforum of The Rolex Forum (TRF).
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 12:34 AM   #32
NardinNut
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I’ve owned a half dozen BP, and still own two. They are amazing watches that fall into the high horology category (unlike Rolex). However, they aren’t as popular as they haven’t fallen into the insta/SM spotlight, and don’t spend to the level of other brands on marketing. They are truly special watches to own and are a steal on the secondary market.

NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 12:40 AM   #33
Matteo E
"TRF" Member

This looks very nice. Finally a full gold bracelet.

https://www.blancpain.com/en/fifty-f...-5200-3640-76s
Matteo E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 01:05 AM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Love all the 40mm Fifty Fathoms especially Ocean Commitment III. Resale value is not my key consideration when I buy a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240729_225500_(800_x_1000_pixel).jpg (194.5 KB, 320 views)
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 02:09 AM   #35
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Blancpain...why no love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Love all the 40mm Fifty Fathoms especially Commitment III. Resale value is not my key consideration when I buy a watch.
The OC III is a very nice watch, I like the dial.
Do you own one?
saxo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 03:28 AM   #36
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Ooo my favourite model. The OC III is just stunning.

The original question of “Why no love” just does not apply to me at all

I have a SS 42mm Series 1. Love it. In fact love it so much that when the Ti version was released with Blue dial etc I just “needed” that also.

The quality, Precision and accuracy are all quite simply outstanding in every way.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 01:03 PM   #37
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
They made too many great dive watches as limited editions for no reason...

And in a few days when Perezscope bomb hits the net they will be even less popular as a brand...
They're owned by Swatch now, so I'm guessing they're following the Omega playbook with LE releases every time you blink.
FrankNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 01:07 PM   #38
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Spot on, very well said. I have the new 42mm blue FF. With the exception of the Glidelock clasp, this thing smokes a Rolex. 5 day PR, 3 barrels, accuracy in spades, better movement, better finishing. Such a great watch.
They might just come out with an adjustable clasp, like Omega did with the Speedmaster--just barely a year or so after the new release. Measure once and cut twice...
Old 30 July 2024, 03:12 PM   #39
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardinNut View Post
I’ve owned a half dozen BP, and still own two. They are amazing watches that fall into the high horology category (unlike Rolex). However, they aren’t as popular as they haven’t fallen into the insta/SM spotlight, and don’t spend to the level of other brands on marketing. They are truly special watches to own and are a steal on the secondary market.

I miss the Bathyscaphe, I had the blue dial for a year and sold it to buy an LE BP. I can't wait to buy another Bathyscaphe but this time with black dial, such as the one in your picture. Absolutely amazing watches...

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2024, 10:00 PM   #40
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Blancpain…why no love?

Simple answer: it is NOT the high quality of the watches or anything else. It is the site where you ask: a subforum of The Rolex Forum (TRF).
In my opinion, this subforum is where people come when they are either largely or totally done with Rolex.
Old 30 July 2024, 10:01 PM   #41
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
Absolutely amazing watches...
Would you mind saying what is amazing about them? Perhaps I've rushed to judgement with the negative JC Biver association.
Old 30 July 2024, 10:17 PM   #42
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve come close a few times, but never pulled the trigger. I love the history of the brand, and aesthetically they are beautiful to my eye.

A couple of niggly things that hold me back are they just don’t well on my wrist. The other is that I’ve concluded I’m not a strap guy, and these just look better on a strap to my eye
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 12:07 AM   #43
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve come close a few times, but never pulled the trigger. I love the history of the brand, and aesthetically they are beautiful to my eye.

A couple of niggly things that hold me back are they just don’t well on my wrist. The other is that I’ve concluded I’m not a strap guy, and these just look better on a strap to my eye
You should give the new 42mm a look
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 12:08 AM   #44
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
You should give the new 42mm a look

I will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 01:44 AM   #45
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Would you mind saying what is amazing about them? Perhaps I've rushed to judgement with the negative JC Biver association.
I have owned few different Blancpain over the years and have always preferred this brand over Rolex. I don't mean to put Rolex down, I still have Rolex watches in my collection and appreciate them for what they are. But in terms of quality Blancpain is a level above. The BP movements are much more beautifully finished, are robust like tanks and I have done all sorts of sports with them on, it's just a higher level product and finishing.

Today I am wearing the 70th anniversary FF so I will let pictures talk. (and the pictures still don't do justice) 20240730_111155.jpg20240730_111401.jpg20240105_153847.jpg20230623_111009.jpg

Old 31 July 2024, 09:15 AM   #46
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

The movement looks nice, but the watch looks absolutely enormous. Just too big for my taste. What is the diameter, and do they do it in 37-38?
Old 31 July 2024, 09:59 AM   #47
arolexguy
"TRF" Member

Love my Blancpain. The customer service at the NYC boutique is exemplary

arolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 10:01 AM   #48
arolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Spot on, very well said. I have the new 42mm blue FF. With the exception of the Glidelock clasp, this thing smokes a Rolex. 5 day PR, 3 barrels, accuracy in spades, better movement, better finishing. Such a great watch.

Beautiful watch. The bracelet is amazing

Enjoy

arolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 10:39 AM   #49
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

I went to the city (NYC) today to check out the new FF. Tried them on and on my wrist it wore/appeared slightly smaller than the new Sub (this is a good thing).
I like it--I'll definitely wait for it to hit the grays and get it at a discount (and maybe by then they might have a easy adjust link)

The salesperson offered to throw in an extra strap (Tropik or sailcloth), the tool to remove the bracelet, and a winder if I purchased it at retail. Basically he said he would throw in some freebies to make up for the NYC tax--so approx. $1600 worth of extras.

I then went over to the Swatch store and they had all the Blancpain FF variations available--it seemed a bit flimsy and not for me.
Old 31 July 2024, 10:47 AM   #50
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have owned few different Blancpain over the years and have always preferred this brand over Rolex. I don't mean to put Rolex down, I still have Rolex watches in my collection and appreciate them for what they are. But in terms of quality Blancpain is a level above. The BP movements are much more beautifully finished, are robust like tanks and I have done all sorts of sports with them on, it's just a higher level product and finishing.

Today I am wearing the 70th anniversary FF so I will let pictures talk. (and the pictures still don't do justice) Attachment 1449236Attachment 1449237Attachment 1449238Attachment 1449239

This. Loupe any Rolex vs any Blancpain and it's a world of difference, on both sides. The movement is self explanatory, but on the dial side markers and hands will be truly polished to perfection unlike Rolex which looks gnarly under magnification. While you can't see this, the hands and markers do shine prighter than a rolex. Sunburst dial finishing is finer on the BP, grained finishing on the case is finer making the Rolex look like someone hit it with a sander, curved sapphires more expensive than the single flat of the Rolex, the bezel is obviously more expensively constructed and lumed, and hand finishing of the case means no sharp case edges like on a Rolex. Accuracy equal to or better than Rolex thanks to hand timing in 6 positions, longer power reserve, high reliability, its literally a cut above a Rolex sports watch in every way. The only compromise is size, the movement is big and robust but if you must go smaller than 42mm there are the 38-40mm options with the smaller sized 1150 movement watches.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 11:37 AM   #51
joe100

Watch: Explorer
I’ve always liked Blancpain, but the story of the brand and the price has always kept me away. My friends that have them, swear by them.
Old 31 July 2024, 12:38 PM   #52
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Blancpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
The OC III is a very nice watch, I like the dial.
Do you own one?
Ownership is the operative question. The Blancpain FF is probably the toughest
tool watch in today's dive watch market. Hardly anyone mentioned the superlative
1315 3-barrel movement. A couple of us have delved deeper into this caliber.

Bottom time tells the story: accuracy, high visible dial, tough as nails.
Both the French and US Navy divers used them. BP Preceded Rolex in 1953
to the dive watch market. Out of the box 1315 FF watches could probably all meet COSC chronometer standards.

Hard hat or SCUBA professional divers know which is the more resilient watch and tend not to be influenced by secondary marketing, size or popularity issues.

{Add AJW 45's comments above as a re-read option. They are spot on.}
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2024, 02:10 PM   #53
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
The movement looks nice, but the watch looks absolutely enormous. Just too big for my taste. What is the diameter, and do they do it in 37-38?
I wouldn't say enormous, the seize is Goldilocks for me. I wouldn't want a divers watch at 37mm, as a dress watch most likely. 20230624_135516.jpg

Old 31 July 2024, 04:10 PM   #54
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say enormous, the seize is Goldilocks for me. I wouldn't want a divers watch at 37mm, as a dress watch most likely. Attachment 1449352
I have 6.75" flat noodle-wrists. Whilst I can and do wear a 42mm Seiko diver which has very short lugs, I'm gravitating much more towards sub-40mm watches these days.

Old 31 July 2024, 11:12 PM   #55
NardinNut

The FF wears much smaller than its dimensions. My 40mm MilSpec is on the small side on my 7.25” wrist.

The 45mm was a tad big for my preference but not as big as one would think. The new 42mm I bet is spot on. Haven’t tried it yet.
NardinNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 10:54 AM   #56
rregino22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Great watches with a rich history. But...this is a Rolex forum
U. Mmm NO
rregino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2024, 10:55 AM   #57
rregino22
"TRF" Member

People need to stop over rating Rolex
So many are much better
rregino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2024, 12:14 AM   #58
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
One thing that irks me is the date position on the Fifthy Fathoms. It’s a matter of personal preference, but I would LOVE to see a no-date version in regular production.
Old 2 August 2024, 01:58 AM   #59
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I have one blancpain and like it a lot...but for some reason not enough to buy more...unlike other brands.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 04:59 PM   #60
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
Why No Love ? There is plenty of love

The original question of "Why no Love for Blancpain" is fairly simple to answer ...

Blancpain is one of the few brands that people go to after they have either got "Fed Up" with Rolex or just want to have a watch of far superior quality to Rolex.

Blancpain is a brand that does not do the same type of overpowering marketing as Rolex.

Just handling a Blancpain is enough to sway most people ... The case, Movement and finish of all the parts in a Blancpain watch just put Rolex's mass production quality to shame.

You should never take a loupe to a Rolex as you will see many blemishes, whereas on a Blancpain if you take a loop to any model you will just smile and be pleasantly shocked.

I used to be a die-hard Rolex fanatic, I had more Rolex watches than I am willing (Or want to) own up to.

I am now down to just one (And Exp II Polar old model) and my watches have been replaced by fewer, but, better made, Blancpain watches.

There is Love for Blancpain watches, But being a smaller, more subtle, less flashy brand the owners are just more discrete about ownership and they know what's on their wrist and are polite enough not to tell Rolex owners what their mistake has been in purchasing such a watch.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote