The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2024, 09:47 PM   #31
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan pierce View Post
the more the hype the more i lose interest.
Dp

x2

♕126610 ♕126333
Breitling Avenger A17318
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:50 PM   #32
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Don’t get the hype allegations. I feel like that comes from folks that can’t get a watch they want. I truly enjoy my Daytona’s, GMT’s, SkyD and Panerai’s that I've been collecting for over 20 years. Like them all at least as much as when they were picked up. Whole point of the collection is different watch for different conditions. So they all remain valid for me. A few are more specialized and don’t get as much wrist time. Still they remain essential part of the collection. Said this before, if you don’t like a Daytona, don’t buy one. Why trash the people that like them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
x2.
I don't know. Frankly I've got better things to do with my time and money than to overpay a grey or pursue hard to get watches at my ADs. If it's hyped it's not even worth it. There's really not a single Rolex that is hard to get if one is willing to pay the market price. What's the reward, bragging rights?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 09:53 PM   #33
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Not sure, but guess some people buy the hype/hot watches because they genuinely like them. Other people buy them because they are more concerned about what others think about their collection. Generally speaking, if you’re in the second category there’s always a danger of being disappointed after a while.
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:01 PM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mile2424 View Post
Title might be a bit confusing, but curious how many others have lost love or changed their style or preference after wearing a hot or popular model for some time. Let me also preface this by saying a couple things. I have been wearing a stainless 11 series Daytona for some time off and on. I am also fortunate enough to have an oyster flex rose gold, and a white gold 11 series, and few other Sport models. When putting on the oyster flex or WG model, something about the weight and precious metal make it feel a bit more special and a bit more sense of occasion when wearing it. The stainless is extremely comfortable, but almost a bit too lightweight feeling to make it feel a bit more cheap or toyish. I know weight isn't associated with the quality, but just the comparison to wearing to the heavier feeling PM models. Maybe a reason not to have 3 variations of the same model as well.

Curious how others have felt during their watch collecting journey's. I am sure many of us go through times where our tastes adapt or change, but also in the sense of something you think you might really love or want, but then after attaining the watch and wearing a bit, you realize it doesn't quite fit in to the rotation as you would have hoped or expected after the long wait to attaining it.

I have always bought watches on what I personally like, and I am not the type that even likes to show off or wear them publicly. I.e. will keep under a cuff or concealed. I like having a nice watch on for my outfit, but all for my own personal likes and interest.
Was never a fan of the modern day Daytona and myself have never bought a Rolex watch because it was hyped.The Daytona must be the most over hyped Rolex watch ever, but like many of the other hyped Rolex many buy the hype to wear the hype and not because of the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:31 PM   #35
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

I think because the SS Daytona is so over-hyped, I wouldn't wear/want one because of the message it sends. This is especially true for the 12 series which has only been available during this period of hysteria.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:43 PM   #36
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I don't know. Frankly I've got better things to do with my time and money than to overpay a grey or pursue hard to get watches at my ADs. If it's hyped it's not even worth it. There's really not a single Rolex that is hard to get if one is willing to pay the market price. What's the reward, bragging rights?
Exactly.

Think theres a difference between being ‘rare’ and ‘truely rare’

The former is Rolex hype pieces where its basically a pay to play game….the more you grease the palms of the AD, the more chance you get to buy the mass produced watch you really want

The latter are brands like Moser, Lange, FP and even Omega.

Sure you have to pay to play but when youre offered the truly rare or special pieces its because they know you wont flip them

Im not dissing rolex here, just the illusion of rarity and hype

Maybe rolex going down the boutique route will somewhat resolve this
Talon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 10:53 PM   #37
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
The watches I like are the watches I like, no matter if there is hype or not. So, yes there are still a few watches I want, some happen to be hype watches but I will enjoy long after they are no longer hype watches and if they stay hype watches.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2024, 11:19 PM   #38
gingerbee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The more the hype the more I lose interest.
dP
I 100% agree.
gingerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 05:09 AM   #39
Wilco68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 / YM40 / DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The Daytona must be the most over hyped Rolex watch ever, but like many of the other hyped Rolex many buy the hype to wear the hype and not because of the watch.
Delete ‘Daytona’ & insert ‘SS BLRO / Pepsi’ ?
Wilco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 05:55 AM   #40
WRjr
Banned

Steel Daytona is the gold standard of hype watch over all models of all brands
WRjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 06:08 AM   #41
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
Not sure, but guess some people buy the hype/hot watches because they genuinely like them. Other people buy them because they are more concerned about what others think about their collection. Generally speaking, if you’re in the second category there’s always a danger of being disappointed after a while.
I think it's definitely valid to say that many hype watches are also good watches that happen to by hyped. The Daytona is the only Rolex chronograph and has a great pedigree, it's a fantastic watch. It also just happens to be hyped because of its perceived exclusivity and resale value.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 06:17 AM   #42
bmwsubmariner
"TRF" Member

Regarding weight, I have a 116600 SD4K. One of the reasons I don't wear it as much is because of the weight. One of the reasons I like the 116500 Daytona is because of how it wears with the thickness and weight.

116600 is actually hyped in it's own way because it was a 4 year only production run. However, that alone doesn't make it a good watch or not. It has its pros and cons. I bought it before the discontinuation and one of the reasons I bought it was the hype that it's like a Sub, but less common and had some cool features. It's still a really good watch but even as a detail oriented person, those small features you may not always notice and a Sub may have been the better watch for me with it being a bit thinner.

It's hard to know if something is a hype model until you actually wear it. I've wanted a 116500 Daytona since they came out. I want to get one in the next 1.5 years. Maybe it won't be as cool as I thought it would be and that's ok, I'll sell it. But I think people want it because it's actually a good watch and it's history. Then with the difficulty of getting it, that just causes more hype. But it actually is a good watch.

Many would consider a Porsche 911, specifically the GT3, a hype model. However, once you drive one, you'll realize why it is hyped so high. It actually is good.
bmwsubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 07:17 AM   #43
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
We’re all on our own journeys.

It is natural for many on their path to Get used to the excitement of the place that they are in. Then, Seek for more exclusivity or more meaningful experiences. But it doesn’t mean you’re not going to come back to relive a certain time.

This is also the reason why, if given the means, there’s no such thing as grails or endgame grails.

The White Daytona used to excite me. Now, I would like a meteorite space panda, a yellow gold lemans, and a double stamped 6263.

I don’t and wouldnt wear a stainless white daytona regularly anymore. Over-hyped is definitelypart of it.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 07:31 AM   #44
Mystro

Hype = popular or popular = hype as it’s all the same. Many like to use the word “hype” as if it’s popularity is unworthy somehow.??? It’s up to you if you want to spin it negative or positive. In Rolex world that =‘s hard to get which is in a way of telling someone they can’t have it when they want it. A lot of people can’t take rejection well and get a sour grape attitude. A super popular or “hyped” item is about as honest and pure an item can get in the free market when $$$ is used to cast the only votes that matter to the manufacturer.

That said, it is just a watch and not making any social statement so there is nothing to read into.
The good news is there is plenty of great watches by other brands easily accessible and at a possible discount.
Old 2 September 2024, 07:36 AM   #45
Exceeder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
That’s perfect
Exceeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 12:12 PM   #46
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I find my 116500 absolutely perfect. Not 5x my other Rolexes, buts it’s got everything I like and want. The only thing now is I don’t wear it as much due to safety concerns.

In that regard, hype has made wearing some pieces a lot more dangerous than necessary.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 12:23 AM   #47
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I sold both the ones I had. I’d still consider the platinum or Lehmanzzz if ever offered. Platinum is obtainable for me at my AD but I’m not in a rush to drop that much cash on it.

I don’t like the screw down pushers. The two chronos I have out of the safe right now are both manual wind, Speedy 60th and Breitling B09 pistachio. The Omega has good pusher feel and is easy to operate, B09 less so (crappy movement). In any case when I want to mess around and time something I don’t want to have to unscrew pushers.

Overall the Daytona I feel also can look/feel small. I think full PM or especially platinum could help with this which is why I’d get another one, or might get another one.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 12:27 AM   #48
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
Don’t get the hype allegations. I feel like that comes from folks that can’t get a watch they want. I truly enjoy my Daytona’s, GMT’s, SkyD and Panerai’s that I've been collecting for over 20 years. Like them all at least as much as when they were picked up. Whole point of the collection is different watch for different conditions. So they all remain valid for me. A few are more specialized and don’t get as much wrist time. Still they remain essential part of the collection. Said this before, if you don’t like a Daytona, don’t buy one. Why trash the people that like them?
That watch is a stunner!
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 12:51 AM   #49
ts3
"TRF" Member

I have been wearing a 5711 blue pretty much daily for a few years now. I got it after getting on "the list" in 2015 when lists were still lists. Do I like it any less because of the recent hype? Not at all. I wanted it before the hype and I still like it today as the hype has disappeared in the rear view mirror.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 01:01 AM   #50
6172crew
"TRF" Member

It wasn’t until I turned 50 years old that I could afford a nice watch and started asking about the GMT2. Like others I visit my local AD and got to try the Daytona. I was offered a two tone and wasn’t really into the looks of it but while wearing it for 15 minutes I noticed I forgot it was on my wrist because of the comfort and weight. Before trying it on I thought it was too busy and a bit flashy. Now I’m going to start working on a SS version next year when finances look better.

The human mind is funny, it adapts and makes things normal when they probably aren’t. I’ve lived in trailer parks, barracks, apartments and even a flop house once. I wore a Casio during my enlistment because I had an obsession with time and needed a watch I could see while flying in low light conditions. I don’t fly for a living so the watch was a afterthought until I found out about the automatic movements, and once I had a couple of automatics I wanted to know what made the Rolex special and started researching all watches. It’s easy to find hype when looking up videos and data but after wearing that Daytona I get why folks want one. Until then I’m happy with my tool watches and my BLNR. I was at a WEC race this weekend and #46 racing the WRT BMW was rocking the BLRO jubilee, he can afford any watch in the world but he was rocking the overhyped Pepsi. I pointed out my Batman and he gave me a thumbs up! ;)
6172crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 02:19 AM   #51
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Funny, while I never really got into the "hype" pieces, I did buy into the "big watch" hype, the Deep Sea and 43mm Sea Dweller. Lessons learned on that phase of my journey! 40mm and maybe 42mm is my max.

As far as the Daytona, never thought I would be into it until I tried it on and I love it. It is for sure in the rotation!
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 02:40 AM   #52
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
Delete ‘Daytona’ & insert ‘SS BLRO / Pepsi’ ?
Seconded …
Daytona fits perfect for me, hype or not couldn’t careless I’ll still chase more -
Plus there’s not one single Rolex model not hyped in some shape or form, be it on social media, by the rich and famous delving into the watch hype, it’s everywhere ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 03:21 AM   #53
Sergio_UKR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Similar story here. SS Daytona was always my grail until my AD hooked me up with a RG Daytona on OF, Sundust dial with black sub dials. I no longer have any interest in a SS Daytona. In fact, my next watch will be another PM model I like the PM so much.
+1 on this. It is impossible for most to pick up SS Daytona at AD so I 'went for a WG and then a RG OF models that are pretty attainable at ADs (at least from my experience). I kept the RG version as it is just more special IMO. WG is better as a daily, but I don't feel comfortable wearing PM as daily at my job.

Now getting a SS Daytona is not on my list plus OF is such a great and comfortable strap.
Sergio_UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 05:44 AM   #54
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
For me the Concern with the hype watches became the increasing potential of theft.

The reason I recently sold my 5711. It was a watch that would be a great daily wear but it became a watch that needed outsized consideration regarding where I would be wearing it.

Now I favor the watches that are a bit less on the radar.
Sorry for your loss…of both city and timepiece.
Old 3 September 2024, 06:14 AM   #55
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve never owned a Daytona, not because of hype, or ability to get one, they just aren’t for me. I prefer balanced dials, and I’m not a fan of the screw down pushers.

I understand what many like the reference whether it’s a true appreciation for the reference or the hype or perhaps both
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 07:29 AM   #56
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’ve been fortunate that none of the hype watches have ever appealed to me, my taste runs a little more towards the obscure I guess. A couple of Explorers and a couple of Sea-Dwellers are what I’ve kept out of ten or so Rolexes I’ve owned. It wasn’t a strategy, it’s just where I ended up.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2024, 11:03 AM   #57
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardus View Post
x2
X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The more the hype the more I lose interest.
dP
Agreed.