The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2023, 03:41 AM   #31
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

This youtuber lives in Japan and does regular videos on watch shopping. Some of his videos are older now but not much has changed except prices and exchange rates. Worth checking out to see places to go.

https://www.youtube.com/@watchsymposium
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 07:45 AM   #32
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
I was in Seoul and Taipei a few months ago, they had zero watches in stock at least for walk-in customers. These countries have a much higher population density and a propensity for showing off wealth/spending on luxury goods that you probably will have much easier time scoring a Rolex at retail in North America than in Asia. I could be wrong though.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 08:56 AM   #33
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyhsl View Post
Hey rolexers, i am going to japan in august, looking for some steel sports rolex to buy & wear (NOT to FLIP ! )

** I MUST GET A ROLEX IN THIS TRIP **

I like most of rolex steel sports models (Sub, gmt, daytona, SkyD, exp 1 2) & also datejust steel

This is my plan :
1. Go to all ADs , see if anything is available (1% chance)
2. Go to grey market

Anyone has experience ? Any advice is welcome !

Thank you

Please update us on what you buy and where you buy it.

Thanks !
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2023, 10:50 AM   #34
handyhsl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
Thanks for the replies guys
Old 3 July 2023, 01:26 PM   #35
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Was just in Osaka and Kyoto. No chance of any SS sport models at AD'S. However, shopping is really cheap due to the dollar/yen exchange. Enjoy the trip. Just a warning, it's ridiculously hot and humid in Kyoto right now.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2023, 10:02 PM   #36
handyhsl
"TRF" Member

Which streets / malls are full of grey dealers in Osaka , Kyoto , Kobe ?
Old 7 July 2023, 11:31 AM   #37
JMtimes5
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36&41 AK LV DJ36
I was just there last May. There is zero chance of getting one from an AD. Now it’s a different story if you’re going gray market. Lots of watches ready to be purchased.
As for street names, I can’t remember for the life of me. Just walk around and you’ll see them.
JMtimes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:44 AM   #38
AC76
"TRF" Member

You will definitely get something nice in the grey market. Just remember to get your tax returns at the airport. Plan accordingly, lines may be long. Don’t forget to stop by the AD at the airport too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:47 AM   #39
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCorsa View Post
Funny but I’m traveling to Europe with family for 3 weeks. Dropped into AD in Amsterdam and they had around a dozen watches for sale. Not any sport SS models. Lots of two tone and 4 full gold (skydweller, President etc) but nothing I was too interested in heading to Paris next where they have 7 AD in a half square mile
Good luck!
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 12:58 PM   #40
matPORTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
General rule of thumb in Asia - all of the grey market stores you see in the high end luxury shopping areas have some association to the ADs (I'm sure most of you will get the picture of this and I need not say anymore). The great thing about Japan - I feel their grey/secondary market prices are pretty reasonable compared to other markets around the world. The stock levels are pretty good as well - you can just about get anything you want from the catalogue.
matPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 06:09 PM   #41
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have just returned from a 5-day holiday in Osaka and Kyoto. Took the advice of you good people. Only dropped by one AD to see "Exhibition Only" stocks. Nothing available. Found the pricing on a number of grey retailers on the high-end.

Spent most of my time hunting down great restaurants. Can't stop enjoying Japanese food.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:42 PM   #42
Exceptional1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Was in Tokyo in May. If you are lucky, they'll ask you to make a reservation to see the stock, otherwise you'll be told there is no stock. I didn't waste my time after a few stores.
Exceptional1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:08 PM   #43
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I live here. I have for 14 years. I speak the language.

When I go into an AD I tell them in Japanese that I live here. I told them what I wanted. The Mint Datejust. The saleswoman pretended to check in the back. Face saving Japanese process I thought.

As a few have said you have zero chance of getting anything at an AD. In fact you have near zero chance of even seeing anything at an AD. Other than maybe the sample models which are clearly marked in English not for sale.

Greys. Pretty much you can get whatever you want. At a premium. I just bought a SS 41 DJ Oyster bracelet, Mint dial, smooth bezel for… wait for it $ 11,350. I have to pay tax though as I live here.

Two important things. The price you see marked at Greys is the “cash price.” Who the heck carries around that kind of cash? Credit card prices are higher.

Second. They will try and charge your credit card in Yen. Then garnish an “exchange rate” fee. It added $ 700 to my DJ. I refused to sign the credit card slip. They huddled up. I stuck to my guns and told them to run the purchase in dollars which they did. Bringing the price back down to what we negotiated.

I have a purchase history with them so they negotiated with me. The DJ was much higher at first. Reluctantly. If they don’t know you their attitude is “Hey if you don’t want it at this price, someone else will.”

Lastly and perhaps more importantly. As the Yen weakens the Greys raise their prices almost weekly.

I hate hate hate Rolex shopping now.

Used to be a pleasure 20 years ago.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:14 PM   #44
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post

When I go into an AD I tell them in Japanese that I live here. I told them what I wanted. The Mint Datejust. The saleswoman pretended to check in the back. Face saving Japanese process I thought.

As a few have said you have zero chance of getting anything at an AD. In fact you have near zero chance of even seeing anything at an AD. Other than maybe the sample models which are clearly marked in English not for sale.

Greys. Pretty much you can get whatever you want. At a premium. I just bought a SS 41 DJ Oyster bracelet, Mint dial, smooth bezel for… wait for it $ 11,350. I have to pay tax though as I live here.

Two important things. The price you see marked at Greys is the “cash price.” Who the heck carries around that kind of cash? Credit card prices are higher.

Second. They will try and charge your credit card in Yen. Then garnish an “exchange rate” fee. It added $ 700 to my DJ. I refused to sign the credit card slip. They huddled up. I stuck to my guns and told them to run the purchase in dollars which they did. Bringing the price back down to what we negotiated.

I have a purchase history with them so they negotiated with me. The DJ was much higher at first. Reluctantly. If they don’t know you their attitude is “Hey if you don’t want it at this price, someone else will.”

Lastly and perhaps more importantly. As the Yen weakens the Greys raise their prices almost weekly. P

Good advise on all for OP
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 12:50 AM   #45
handyhsl
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies ! Very valuable insights..

So if i can summarize, forget the ADs, go to grey directly.
And dont expect any great deals from the grey stores.
They have loads of stock, but prices are average

Other experiences & stories will be appreciated !
Old 8 July 2023, 03:07 AM   #46
ADINVA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Lastly and perhaps more importantly. As the Yen weakens the Greys raise their prices almost weekly.

This is my impression too. The grey prices are very very steep. Yen down, quoted price increases. Acknowledging the reality that I am not on any AD's A-list, I stopped shopping for Rolex too.
ADINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 03:17 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Forget going to Japan, visit Epcot and buy a watch from DavidSW in Orlando.
Old 8 July 2023, 11:18 AM   #48
ebis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The credit card comment intrigues me. I only use my US credit card living here and I have never seen a supplemental "exchange rate fee", ever. However, I do agree that some grey stores advertise cash prices and charge a small fee for using credit cards.

I don't know if you're saying that charging your credit card in yen is good or bad, but I thought that I would just mention that it's a good idea to choose the local currency if presented with the option.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/avoid...cy-conversion/

Quote:
You're visiting another country and making a purchase with your credit card. Then, the credit card terminal asks if you'd like to pay in U.S. dollars or in the local currency.

This might sound like a convenient way to avoid foreign transaction fees, but it's not. Here's why: The exchange rate offered here ranges from bad to awful, and you may still pay a foreign transaction fee (if your credit card has one) since some credit card issuers base these fees on where the transaction takes place — not the currency you chose for your transaction.

This option for paying in your home currency is called dynamic currency conversion, and it can lead to hefty fees plus overpaying for your purchases.
ebis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 11:48 AM   #49
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post
The credit card comment intrigues me. I only use my US credit card living here and I have never seen a supplemental "exchange rate fee", ever. However, I do agree that some grey stores advertise cash prices and charge a small fee for using credit cards.

I don't know if you're saying that charging your credit card in yen is good or bad, but I thought that I would just mention that it's a good idea to choose the local currency if presented with the option.

This may just be my Greys nonsense. They have pulled it on me once. The 2nd time I refused to pay it. First time was Ą 50,000 based on the price. OP 39. They insisted it was out of their control.

2nd time was Ą 70,000 +.

The second time I called BS. Made them cancel the first charge and run it again in dollars. They never let me see the credit card screen to choose Yen or Dollars on the first charge. They were not happy when I called them on it. Been icy since when I go in to browse.

My US bank has zero conversion fees. Zero ATM fees anywhere in the world.

Just be careful.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 12:16 PM   #50
handyhsl
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the credit card tricks !
I can use debit card, with yen currency, that should be ok ?

And if i get this right :
AD dont sell good rolexes. Go to grey market, where prices are increased to weak yen.

This means even regular japanese cannot buy anything.
Not in AD & not in grey market where prices are super high in yen terms

So regular watch enthusiasts there must be frustrated, more than anywhere in the world
Old 27 December 2023, 06:32 AM   #51
bsr1212
"TRF" Member

hi all - i will be in Tokyo in February and want to purchase my first Rolex (datejust). reading above, seems like i can skip the ADs.

within Nakano Broadway, are there any particular shops to target or to avoid?

i'm clearly a newbie at this, so are there any concerns with fake watches in any of these grey shops?

any advice appreciated in advance - thanks!
bsr1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 06:40 AM   #52
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Idk if you’ll find a true grey dealer, your chances are better looking for preowned
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 10:16 AM   #53
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimepieceRPP View Post
Good luck. They won't sell anything to tourists. I also just got back from Japan too.

Actually not true. I arranged over the internet, 2 months in advance of my trip, the acquisition and purchase of a DayDate with blue dial, diamond markers.

Also got tax free because I brought my passport into the shop, and all government forms filled out in the shop, NOT the airport.

With the two months of communications, my AD arranged to have the watch I wanted sent from one AD across town, to his shop Ginza where my hotel was located.

Now this was Tokyo, and not Osaka.

Also, there were many many grey dealers everywhere, and I must say, I could not believe the LARGE inventory of all the must have SS models as well as the 18k models.

Prices were very reasonable, very close to Rolex.com/jp pricing, and the positive exchange rate with USD, made all of them "cheap", so to speak...

NOTE: My AMEX card wanted a $400 "transaction fee" but my VISA card had zero transaction fee.

If you must come home with a Rolex, take the train to Tokyo, and purchase any model you want. You won't regret it !

October 30, 2023

Last edited by wilsonpepper; 27 December 2023 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Added date
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 10:30 AM   #54
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

I like the idea of communicating with the ADs about your trip and explain what you want. And it could work in your favor.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 10:37 AM   #55
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the credit card tricks !
I can use debit card, with yen currency, that should be ok ?

And if i get this right :
AD dont sell good rolexes. Go to grey market, where prices are increased to weak yen.

This means even regular japanese cannot buy anything.
Not in AD & not in grey market where prices are super high in yen terms

So regular watch enthusiasts there must be frustrated, more than anywhere in the world
Have you checked your local rolex AD? The Time Place Plaza Indonesia, look for Kartika, nice girl working there.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 10:42 AM   #56
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the replies ! Very valuable insights..

So if i can summarize, forget the ADs, go to grey directly.
And dont expect any great deals from the grey stores.
They have loads of stock, but prices are average

Other experiences & stories will be appreciated !
I was in Japan few months ago, no luck as a walk-in customer at the AD.. so I gave up after 2 or 3 different AD in Tokyo.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 11:11 AM   #57
azhiker54
"TRF" Member

Watch: DATEJUST 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebis View Post

As someone who spends 120+ nights a year in Asia, you are exactly correct. I use a debit card for all purchases, so its basically like paying cash to many vendors. Always pay in local currency, I use Chase, and they do a favorable conversion. Basically use Oanda App for conversion and you wont go wrong.

I spent 60+ days in Japan this year, Nagasaki, Osaka and Nagoya. Osaka has a ton of good steak houses. Lowrys Prime Rib restaurant a ross from the Osaka Hilton is hard to beat!

Have fun, good luck!
azhiker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2023, 11:16 AM   #58
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
OP hasn't checked back in since July.
Old 27 December 2023, 12:15 PM   #59
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr1212 View Post
hi all - i will be in Tokyo in February and want to purchase my first Rolex (datejust). reading above, seems like i can skip the ADs.

within Nakano Broadway, are there any particular shops to target or to avoid?

i'm clearly a newbie at this, so are there any concerns with fake watches in any of these grey shops?

any advice appreciated in advance - thanks!
Welcome to TRF! Datejust is a fantastic first Rolex. If you haven't followed the current market, buying a Rolex at an AD is easing up lately, compared to a couple of years ago. Not all models as the sports SS and other high demand pieces are still very tough to get there. Datejusts however are VERY possible in today's market. I would try going to your local AD's, make connections, see what might be available, or put in your request for what you want. Very good chance you'll be able to get something.

Also on your way to Japan, check in at any airports that have AD's in them. I've seen lots of people finding great pieces on their way to somewhere! Good luck.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 12:52 AM   #60
lamkinpark
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN | 124300
Forget about AD in Japan, just go straight to Nakano Broadway
lamkinpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan , kyoto , osaka , rolex