The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 June 2024, 11:53 PM   #31
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Anyway, mine is definitely as Virginic as possible bar the tiny scratches, she has lived a very sheltered life thus far for sure, could she turn into a Ho at some point? I doubt it but who knows! Lol
Old 11 June 2024, 11:54 PM   #32
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Not sure why you are holding on to it if you plan to sell it. Is it for investment purposes? If so, sell it now as is with no polishing and invest your money that will give you a better return than a watch.

You state you haven't worn it and never will. I just don't see the point of keeping it if this is in fact what you plan on doing with it, let alone polishing it. It's a watch. A watch is meant to be worn, appreciated, something that can put a smile on your face each time you wear it.
Old 11 June 2024, 11:57 PM   #33
-dustin
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddydog52 View Post
Anyway, mine is definitely as Virginic as possible bar the tiny scratches, she has lived a very sheltered life thus far for sure, could she turn into a Ho at some point? I doubt it but who knows! Lol
But it's not, though. Didn't this come with eBay's authentication guarantee? That means it's been handled...and I'd assume opened. This isn't fresh from a coffin.
Old 11 June 2024, 11:58 PM   #34
aboutime
"TRF" Member

Maybe get a replacement bracelet from the AD or RSC so it’s basically new again. Then arguably you can say it’s unpolished plus you won’t have the worry of what a polisher may or may not do to your bracelet. Appreciate this might be excessive however it appears you are after a very specific outcome so maybe the cost will be less of an issue vs its appearance?
Old 12 June 2024, 12:28 AM   #35
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Not sure why you are holding on to it if you plan to sell it. Is it for investment purposes? If so, sell it now as is with no polishing and invest your money that will give you a better return than a watch.

You state you haven't worn it and never will. I just don't see the point of keeping it if this is in fact what you plan on doing with it, let alone polishing it. It's a watch. A watch is meant to be worn, appreciated, something that can put a smile on your face each time you wear it.
I’m not sure if I will ultimately sell it or not, obviously current market conditions are not conducive to selling as I could have got £2000 more for it 11 months ago, I’m guessing that it will need to be discontinued then further waiting time of a couple of years post that until this model becomes more valuable than the peak pandemic prices of March 2022 I believe it was, I like to think that if I hold on to it with it in this basically immaculate condition then come say 2031 will there be lots and lots available in this condition, if not then that’s when I could get perhaps 15-20k? Who knows, obviously a lot of ifs and buts but I certainly put a higher value on it than the £10,500 that I got offered recently!
Old 12 June 2024, 12:32 AM   #36
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
It doesn't matter how you try to spin it - it's not "virginic", nor immaculate. It's a worn piece, and in the watch world, the condition is everything. I think you might be overestimating a little.
Can it be in excellent, but used condition? Certainly, but I think a lot of watches tread this line - like the old adverts you see of "unworn" watches but the photos are on someone's wrist

It's never going to be an unworn, immaculate watch now... as I say, you really may as well wear it and enjoy it. If you're planning to keep it for 5-10yrs, wear it, enjoy it, send it off to be serviced in 5-10yrs time and get it polished at the same time by Rolex, it'll come back looking better than it does right now.
Old 12 June 2024, 12:57 AM   #37
Lalo007
"TRF" Member

I dont know why these post about “scratches” bother me so much! Dude just wear the watch!
Old 12 June 2024, 12:58 AM   #38
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
It doesn't matter how you try to spin it - it's not "virginic", nor immaculate. It's a worn piece, and in the watch world, the condition is everything. I think you might be overestimating a little.
Can it be in excellent, but used condition? Certainly, but I think a lot of watches tread this line - like the old adverts you see of "unworn" watches but the photos are on someone's wrist

It's never going to be an unworn, immaculate watch now... as I say, you really may as well wear it and enjoy it. If you're planning to keep it for 5-10yrs, wear it, enjoy it, send it off to be serviced in 5-10yrs time and get it polished at the same time by Rolex, it'll come back looking better than it does right now.
Not due a service until 2031, seems like getting it polished could actually be detrimental though as wouldn’t be selling privately but would sell to a dealer who presumably would rather it not have been polished, I understand they will likely polish it themselves but who knows, perhaps they could have someone who is looking for an unpolished one in which case I would be depriving them of that option, obviously if I was selling privately I would get it polished possibly but it sounds like a nightmare selling privately from what I can gather, especially for someone as green as myself, I’d probably end up getting had over one way or another!
Old 12 June 2024, 12:59 AM   #39
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
There will be more. Try to forget about it and enjoy the beautiful watch.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:03 AM   #40
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Potential future price estimates were based on what you see with Kermit and Hulk, seems like decent examples of them can go for around the15-17k mark so hopefully by 2031 say it’s reasonable to think, if it’s been discontinued by say 2027, that this model could command that sort of figure, although to get an offer from a gray of £17,000 the model would likely have to be selling for around £20,000 on the gray market
Old 12 June 2024, 01:09 AM   #41
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Potential future price estimates were based on what you see with Kermit and Hulk, seems like decent examples of them can go for around the15-17k mark so hopefully by 2031 say it’s reasonable to think, if it’s been discontinued by say 2027, that this model could command that sort of figure, although to get an offer from a gray of £17,000 the model would likely have to be selling for around £20,000 on the gray market

Best of luck to you dude, I hope it works out as you envisage.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:10 AM   #42
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is immaculate in the sense that there arnt any wear or scratches on the face, lugs, bezel or clasp but I take your point that for something to be deemed completely immaculate then there would need to be zero scratches on the bracelet which of course is not the case unfortunately.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:13 AM   #43
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Best of luck to you dude, I hope it works out as you envisage.
Things rarely do or have so not holding my breath! Lol
Old 12 June 2024, 01:15 AM   #44
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
This is an unhealthy discussion.

A watch is only new once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2024, 01:17 AM   #45
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
You remove the watch from the box intermittently to give it a wind, it is not a virgin. Your watch has scratches on the bracelet, it is not immaculate. Furthermore it will never be a virgin or immaculate again and there are no steps you can take to make it so. Keep it original if you insist on keeping it or better yet enjoy it on your wrist.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:17 AM   #46
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

It genuinely has never been worn since I’ve had it but perception is 99% of reality or whatever that saying is so I can understand why the scratches would give the impression that it had been worn but the sad truth is it’s just from me handling it, don’t ever recall knocking it and have never dropped it or anything like that but I presume I have in some way or another at some point.
Old 12 June 2024, 01:20 AM   #47
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Scratches

Quote:

I think you’re being highly optimistic with those figures! You can pick up a new unworn model for <£13k right now from reputable dealers, and I suspect there’s some wiggle room built into that to negotiate a few hundred off. On that basis, the offer you had at £10,500 sounds like a good offer!

Just wear the watch!
Old 12 June 2024, 01:25 AM   #48
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Scratches

Quote:
It genuinely has never been worn since I’ve had it but perception is 99% of reality or whatever that saying is so I can understand why the scratches would give the impression that it had been worn but the sad truth is it’s just from me handling it, don’t ever recall knocking it and have never dropped it or anything like that but I presume I have in some way or another at some point.

Damage is done, worn or unworn, and there’s no going back. No attempt to “fix” this will fix this. Time to move on with your life and enjoy the watch, or sell it now as it is and buy other things with your money.

I say this as someone who has really struggled in the past the imperfection of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2024, 01:34 AM   #49
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
This is an unhealthy discussion.
Amen.
Old 12 June 2024, 02:08 AM   #50
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

I guess if you’re generally looking at around a £200 difference in offer between new and pre owned then just wearing it does make sense, I just thought that there was a vast difference between what they offer for a new one and a pre owned one but reassuringly that doesn’t seem to be the case
Old 12 June 2024, 02:11 AM   #51
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I think you’re being highly optimistic with those figures! You can pick up a new unworn model for <£13k right now from reputable dealers, and I suspect there’s some wiggle room built into that to negotiate a few hundred off. On that basis, the offer you had at £10,500 sounds like a good offer!

Just wear the watch!
To be fair the offer of £10,500 was before I noticed the scratches, wonder how much their offer would have differed if I had added that there were a 7-8 scratches on the bracelet, presumably £10,200-£10,300.
Old 12 June 2024, 02:28 AM   #52
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
we need better pictures, all your photos are out of focus
Old 12 June 2024, 02:36 AM   #53
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
To be fair the offer of £10,500 was before I noticed the scratches, wonder how much their offer would have differed if I had added that there were a 7-8 scratches on the bracelet, presumably £10,200-£10,300.

I wouldn’t like to comment and suggest you DYOR. My recent experience relates to selling a used watch to a secondary market dealer who reduced their offer by £150 to allow for a polish before listing the watch for sale on their website, also as a used watch.

It sounds like you may have stated your watch is new, which it doesn’t sound like it actually is, so your offer may be lower than the figures you’ve noted above.

Suggest you stop worrying and either wear & enjoy the watch, or sell it now and use the money for something which will cause you less stress…
Old 12 June 2024, 03:06 AM   #54
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
we need better pictures, all your photos are out of focus
I will try and take some more and see if they upload as I originally took them, could be that I am holding the phone too close to the watch, not really sure, the figures of the size come out at 4000 x 3000 when the figures are only allowed to be 1250 x 1250 so will have to try and figure out what I’m doing wrong to have to scale the images down to size which allows them to be uploaded but in doing so it’s making them too blurry
Old 12 June 2024, 03:43 AM   #55
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
From experience, if you sell to a dealer then they may deduct £150-£200 from the value of the watch if they deem it needs a polish. It’s not going to make or break the value of your ‘investment’.

You’ll probably spend that getting it done yourself and run the risk of it not being done properly.

If you do get it polished, then whether or not it’s indiscernible when you come to sell it, you should advise any potential purchasers that it’s had a polish. I’m not an expert on polishing, but suspect a good dealer may be able to tell if they look close enough.

He has no investment, barring how much he paid to enter the drawing. He has been obsessing over various aspects of this watch since winning it. He should sell it now, IMO. It is messing with his head.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12 June 2024, 03:47 AM   #56
KatGirl

Quote:
A touch up isn’t the same as a full polish though, unless due to the fact that some polishing has occurred it is deemed polished? I realise it seems like a game of semantics in a way

If it is touched with any polishing implement, whether a Scotchbrite pad, or a polishing wheel, it’s been polished. Dealers will know. Don’t touch it!

Kat

Old 12 June 2024, 03:54 AM   #57
KatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post

He is not an enthusiast, just a guy who happened to win a Rolex, and has been obsessing over it ever since. Not sure why he even joined the forum. He’s done obsessing about its authenticity, and has moved on to obsessing over these superficial scratches affecting the value.

Kat

Old 12 June 2024, 03:58 AM   #58
KatGirl

Scratches

Quote:
It is immaculate in the sense that there arnt any wear or scratches on the face, lugs, bezel or clasp but I take your point that for something to be deemed completely immaculate then there would need to be zero scratches on the bracelet which of course is not the case unfortunately.

It’s a used 3 years old watch. Once the card is activated, it becomes used, regardless of condition. The older it gets, the less it will be worth. Just sell it, post haste!

Kat

Old 12 June 2024, 04:12 AM   #59
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Use tapatalk if you need an easy way to post high res pics.

A perplexing post. I have never incurred scratching just from handling the watch. So it’s not unworn and you should not advertise it as such.
Unless it’s an old-school Kermit or hulk, It is not going to climb significantly in value.

My guess is you don’t appreciate much about Rolex watches other than some apparent value retention. If you want true, return then put it in a savings account or some other vehichle.
Jeese.
Old 12 June 2024, 04:18 AM   #60
Paddydog52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
It’s a used 3 years old watch. Once the card is activated, it becomes used, regardless of condition. The older it gets, the less it will be worth. Just sell it, post haste!

Kat

I’m pretty sure if it gets discontinued then it will be worth more in years to come so I’m not sure what you mean the older it gets the less it will be worth
Closed Thread