The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2023, 07:49 AM   #31
Chopper87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorrebl View Post
This is why watch wonders are mostly useless. You subjected your delicate gold brackets to years of unnecessary wear rolling around the watch winder. You just wore down one of your links that was supposed to be almost unable to be worn out with the ceramic sleeves. This is probably the first dd40 with the new sleeves that has actually been worn down in the whole world.

How can a winder wear down a bracelet?
It just stays put in the exact same place and rotates around it's axle, the bracelet never moves on the cushion, it's exactly the same as when it's put on the cushion inside the Rolex box it comes in.
Chopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 08:01 AM   #32
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper87 View Post
It just stays put in the exact same place and rotates around it's axle, the bracelet never moves on the cushion, it's exactly the same as when it's put on the cushion inside the Rolex box it comes in.
Exactly! I am honestly baffled by this
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 09:11 AM   #33
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Wow, this even happens with the new ceramic pins??
Old 6 September 2023, 09:15 AM   #34
steelrose77
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV Hulk Sub
don't have that issue on my 228235. that would probably bother me enough to get it fixed
steelrose77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 09:21 AM   #35
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Wow, this even happens with the new ceramic pins??
Yeah apparently !
Old 6 September 2023, 09:26 AM   #36
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
If it bothers you, send it for service. If it isn’t affecting anything, or getting worse, leave it be. It is barely noticeable.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Random question, How does the whole service process work from A-Z?
Old 6 September 2023, 09:38 AM   #37
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Yeah apparently !
It's hard to believe. Did the 2016 DD models come with ceramic pins?? I thought the ceramic pin would eliminate bracelet stretch. Seems like it would stop the link from bending like this
Old 6 September 2023, 09:43 AM   #38
Auric Goldfinger
Banned

OP - do you have insurance on your timepieces? You could file a claim.
Auric Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 10:05 AM   #39
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Anyone have a crooked link issue on their DayDate?

Quote:
Yeah apparently !

Depends on whether your Rolex is still under warranty. If not, as in this case, you can take to any watchmaker you trust, but because it’s a problem with the Rolex bracelet, I’d use RSC. You would call the nearest RSC, for mailing instructions, or drop it off, if you live close enough to one. They would examine your Rolex, and provide a detailed estimate, which you would approve, before they started any work. There would be a charge for the estimate, if you did not approve the work order. After you have approved the estimate, they will fix your watch, and send it back to you. The work performed, by RSC, is guaranteed for 2 years.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 10:27 AM   #40
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
It's hard to believe. Did the 2016 DD models come with ceramic pins?? I thought the ceramic pin would eliminate bracelet stretch. Seems like it would stop the link from bending like this
Yeah it did. I believe that was the first year that DD models came out with the ceramic pins
Old 6 September 2023, 10:30 AM   #41
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Depends on whether your Rolex is still under warranty. If not, as in this case, you can take to any watchmaker you trust, but because it’s a problem with the Rolex bracelet, I’d use RSC. You would call the nearest RSC, for mailing instructions, or drop it off, if you live close enough to one. They would examine your Rolex, and provide a detailed estimate, which you would approve, before they started any work. There would be a charge for the estimate, if you did not approve the work order. After you have approved the estimate, they will fix your watch, and send it back to you. The work performed, by RSC, is guaranteed for 2 years.

Kat

Thanks!

Wonder for this bracelet issue why kind of service estimate Id be looking at
Old 6 September 2023, 11:28 AM   #42
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
I actually havent used the winder function in years but moreso use the winder as a watchbox holder. And what does that say about Rolex quality if a link got bent like that from being in a watchbox most of its life
Oh so it wasn’t running/spinning? Then you probably just have a broken ceramic sleeve. Replace it for like $20 and it should be perfect again!

Of the gold pin is bent then it gets more expensive. Some stronger force wood have snagged on it and bent it or cracked the ceramic sleeve. RSC will probably replace that part of the bracket since it’s a fixed link. They will also likely make you service the watch since it’s over 5 years old. I waited on datejust 41 to change the dial color to blue after its 5 year warranty (as that
S when they’ll let you do it) but they made me do a full service to change the dial and hands ( hands had to be changed to per their policy to match the dial lume color). Watch was 3 days past the 5 year warranty expiration
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 11:40 AM   #43
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper87 View Post
Winders are still constantly moving. We’re taking about heavy gold here and gravity. Ceramic sleeves are supposed to help but maybe not prevent it completely. Imaging 6 years for constant motion and the weight of the watch constantly shifting around inside the winder. Maybe not much but some forces are ending up pulling down on the watch as it spins.
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 12:01 PM   #44
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Winders are still constantly moving. We’re taking about heavy gold here and gravity. Ceramic sleeves are supposed to help but maybe not prevent it completely. Imaging 6 years for constant motion and the weight of the watch constantly shifting around inside the winder. Maybe not much but some forces are ending up pulling down on the watch as it spins.
You missed the part where I said I dont use the winding part and have mainly used it as a watch box (Volta)
Old 6 September 2023, 12:02 PM   #45
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
OP, I think you snagged it on something the last time you wore it and simply didn't notice. Could have been in your car, table or chair at a restaurant, pretty much anywhere. Send it to RSC and let them sort it out. The last thing you want is for the pin or whatever is bent to fail, and you lose the watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 12:02 PM   #46
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Oh so it wasn’t running/spinning? Then you probably just have a broken ceramic sleeve. Replace it for like $20 and it should be perfect again!

Of the gold pin is bent then it gets more expensive. Some stronger force wood have snagged on it and bent it or cracked the ceramic sleeve. RSC will probably replace that part of the bracket since it’s a fixed link. They will also likely make you service the watch since it’s over 5 years old. I waited on datejust 41 to change the dial color to blue after its 5 year warranty (as that
S when they’ll let you do it) but they made me do a full service to change the dial and hands ( hands had to be changed to per their policy to match the dial lume color). Watch was 3 days past the 5 year warranty expiration
Years ago when my watch collection got to 8 pcs I was recommended a Volta winder here. The first month I used the winding function then got tired of them spinning around and started using the Volta simply as a watch box
Old 6 September 2023, 12:03 PM   #47
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
OP, I think you snagged it on something the last time you wore it and simply didn't notice. Could have been in your car, table or chair at a restaurant, pretty much anywhere. Send it to RSC and let them sort it out. The last thing you want is for the pin or whatever is bent to fail, and you lose the watch.
Do I need to make an appointment? Or just walk in? Roughly how much $ can I be looking at going through RSC and what kind of turnaround time?
Old 6 September 2023, 03:25 PM   #48
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
It slows down the wearing process of a bracelet, but it doesn't protect it against bending it.

Bracelet 'stretch' is simply the pins and links wearing out from rubbing over time.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 08:28 PM   #49
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Only on older watches with stretched bracelets.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 08:38 PM   #50
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Do I need to make an appointment? Or just walk in? Roughly how much $ can I be looking at going through RSC and what kind of turnaround time?

Suggest to contact Rolliworks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 09:14 PM   #51
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My DD40 was worn by me literally around 12 times since I got it in 2016 and this week I noticed one of the links looks crooked but I have no idea how this happened at the watch has barely ever been worn
Bracelet stretch was very common back in the day when the links were not entirely solid gold. I thought it was largely a thing of the past after the 6-digit models went to completely solid bracelets and ceramic sleeves to prevent the pins from wearing the gold away.
Oystersteel92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 09:23 PM   #52
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Rolliworks is your best bet. They can make it look new. A watch winder wouldn't do this. It had to have snagged on something
Old 6 September 2023, 11:06 PM   #53
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

And what does that say about Rolex quality if a link got bent like that from being in a watchbox most of its life
Well, we can't really answer that question as we don't know that's what caused the damage. I doubt it came from being on a watch winder, however. Especially since you're not using that function.

My experience with the DD's I've owned is they were built like a tank and never experienced anything remotely like your pics.

As for me, I would get it fixed and move on. It's too beautiful a watch to let that sideline it. Oh...and I would definitely wear it more, too. Good luck,
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 12:15 AM   #54
buddenfan
Banned

My OCD is killing me with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5025.jpeg (53.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 7 September 2023, 12:35 AM   #55
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Are there ceramic sleeves in the Oyster/Jubilees now?
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 12:39 AM   #56
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry this happened OP. Before I would spend a lot fixing this I would see if insurance might offer an offset. I might just move the watch on also for something that gets more than 2 times a year wear.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 01:08 AM   #57
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
My OCD is killing me with it
How does the watch look this worn only being worn sparsely? Send it to Rolliworks and they will make it look new again and fix the bent link
Old 7 September 2023, 01:49 AM   #58
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
I don't think you need an appointment to walk into an RSC and drop your watch off for service. The cost will depend on what must be replaced. Parts could be a simple as pin and sleeve or a section of link. I don't know the cost of a RG DD link but for an idea, a half link for a WG Submariner is $750. You're probably looking at a few weeks turn around time.
The upside is the Rolex RSC will repair it to OEM condition. Good luck getting it sorted.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 02:14 AM   #59
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
From the photos it looks like bent metal (perhaps combined with damaged ceramic sleeves). As was said, send if off to someone familiar with the fix or wear it until it's time for service (which might make the problem worse to repair if the ceramic is damaged).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 02:22 AM   #60
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
OP this would bother the hell outta me... for the amount of money spent on the watch.
I'd definitely check with ROLLIWORKS on this matter. He can make miracles for lot less then RSC'e new bracelet. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote