The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 March 2019, 05:53 AM   #31
Uppersouth
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: SWISS
Really, really nice! Congratulations! VC has become my favorite of the big three.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:50 PM   #32
rolehex

Drop Dead Gorgeous! Congrats!
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:05 AM   #33
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

I think it fits in well with the other two

kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 01:44 AM   #34
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Nice watch in a nice line. Personally, I like the complete calendar, but yours looks very good.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 02:22 AM   #35
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Interesting about the backlash for the social media marketing. I didn’t know that. But, it’s the times we live in. You reach your target audience (especially younger potential buyers you want to attract) through Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and the like. Times change. Print is almost dead. Baselworld is dying. Companies need to adapt. This hobby would do a lot better without the stodgy, elitist element it attracts.
You say this like social media marketing has no drawbacks -- it most certainly does.

I'm pretty young, but I find a lot of social media marketing very off-putting, disingenuous, and desperate. Others feel the same. Especially in the case of high end luxury goods, too much disingenuous social media marketing can be a big turnoff.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 06:43 AM   #36
MJaber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Romain Gauthier
First, congrats on your new and beautiful watch. i must admit that when the 56 was released i wasn't a fan at all and the entire social media influencers promoting it turned me off even further.

However, the more i saw the 56 the more i appreciate it -except for the base model with the outsourced non-Geneva Seal movement. The case construction is cool and interesting and the movements are beautifully constructed and finished with a wonderful skeletonized rotor. it sits a bit high for my taste but its a really cool watch that deserves respect.

wear it in good health and thanks for the wonderful pics!
Old 8 March 2019, 07:17 AM   #37
stockae92
2024 Pledge Member

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang! congrats!

love it! they don't just put that Geneve hallmark seal on anything. :)
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2019, 08:45 AM   #38
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
You say this like social media marketing has no drawbacks -- it most certainly does.

I'm pretty young, but I find a lot of social media marketing very off-putting, disingenuous, and desperate. Others feel the same. Especially in the case of high end luxury goods, too much disingenuous social media marketing can be a big turnoff.
You managed to create an entire post out of putting words in my mouth. Well done.

Firstly, nothing is without drawbacks. I never said or alluded otherwise. Yes, social media can go too far. Yes, social media can be distasteful or disingenuous. This applies to all marketing. Traditional or not.

Secondly, your distaste for social media marketing, regardless of your age, is irrelevant. It's clearly obvious that social media is by far and away the preeminent means of reaching target audiences. It's why Rolex have an Instagram account. It's why they have a YouTube channel. It's why they couldn't care less about turning people like you off by doing so.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 03:11 AM   #39
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
You managed to create an entire post out of putting words in my mouth. Well done.

Firstly, nothing is without drawbacks. I never said or alluded otherwise. Yes, social media can go too far. Yes, social media can be distasteful or disingenuous. This applies to all marketing. Traditional or not.

Secondly, your distaste for social media marketing, regardless of your age, is irrelevant. It's clearly obvious that social media is by far and away the preeminent means of reaching target audiences. It's why Rolex have an Instagram account. It's why they have a YouTube channel. It's why they couldn't care less about turning people like you off by doing so.
Ah, but this is the exact problem with social media marketing. It's a double-edged sword.

Having an Instagram Page or a YouTube channel isn't what most are talking about. That's not so much different than having a website. You have to visit those pages to get information, and generally the information is decent and is provided to people who are already looking for it. No big deal.

The targeted social media marketing is very different. I watch quite a few excellent channels on YouTube and they are great, but the very targeted marketing is 100% a turnoff, and if you read the comments many fans think that as well. It's not only invasive, because you know a company is treating you as a data point, but if a brand is sponsoring something or being promoted by influencers, and that brand isn't really top quality, it tends to erode trust in the influencer. People aren't stupid.

For example, there are many fashion and lifestyle influencers on YouTube, especially male influencers, who really put out great content, but it's obvious as heck when these guys are wearing a GMT master or a Nautilus in normal videos and then wear Vincero watches in their videos sponsored by Vincero. A brand like Rolex doesn't really need that type of marketing.

Rolex doesn't need someone posting on Instagram about how a DateJust just totally completes a look, with an "ad" hashtag next to it. It's pathetic and desperate, and people with an interest in something can smell that a mile away.

For these quality, high end products, the best advertisements they can have is for celebrities and influencers to wear them as a matter of ordinary course, and that's already happening.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 04:03 AM   #40
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Icon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
Ah, but this is the exact problem with social media marketing. It's a double-edged sword.

Having an Instagram Page or a YouTube channel isn't what most are talking about. That's not so much different than having a website. You have to visit those pages to get information, and generally the information is decent and is provided to people who are already looking for it. No big deal.

The targeted social media marketing is very different. I watch quite a few excellent channels on YouTube and they are great, but the very targeted marketing is 100% a turnoff, and if you read the comments many fans think that as well. It's not only invasive, because you know a company is treating you as a data point, but if a brand is sponsoring something or being promoted by influencers, and that brand isn't really top quality, it tends to erode trust in the influencer. People aren't stupid.

For example, there are many fashion and lifestyle influencers on YouTube, especially male influencers, who really put out great content, but it's obvious as heck when these guys are wearing a GMT master or a Nautilus in normal videos and then wear Vincero watches in their videos sponsored by Vincero. A brand like Rolex doesn't really need that type of marketing.

Rolex doesn't need someone posting on Instagram about how a DateJust just totally completes a look, with an "ad" hashtag next to it. It's pathetic and desperate, and people with an interest in something can smell that a mile away.

For these quality, high end products, the best advertisements they can have is for celebrities and influencers to wear them as a matter of ordinary course, and that's already happening.
I agree. I generally don't think advertising through social media "influencers " is a great idea when it comes to luxury goods. I do think having platforms on social media, to directly market, is a good idea for companies like VC.

I will say though, that I personally take more creedence in what certain bloggers and YouTube personalities say about a watch than George Clooney (Omega) or Bradley Cooper (IWC).

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 05:17 AM   #41
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
I think it fits in well with the other two

Gorgeous piece. It really offers a great in between dressy and sporty look. That movement, though! What a beauty.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #42
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Stunning piece. Congrats.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 08:46 AM   #43
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Love the pictures and beautiful watch!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 09:30 AM   #44
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

That's a fantastic piece
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:24 AM   #45
spurwar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 79220N
Congrats and great looking piece! Don't know much about this line but it has definitely caught my eye now.
spurwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 12:34 PM   #46
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

My favorite from that line. Congrats.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:20 PM   #47
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Congrats on the 56. Looks amazing with your Batman and Hulk. We have similar tastes in that I have a Pepsi and Explorer II and would like to add the 56 (but probably the time/date model). The steel looks unreal in photos. My favorite feature is the integrated crown.

I've seen a fair bit of negativity around this line and absolutely do not get it. I've liked this watch from the get go. So what are your thoughts several months in to owning it? How much wrist time is it getting? Congrats again!
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 02:22 PM   #48
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice, I like the Fifty-six collection a lot!
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 10:58 PM   #49
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Congrats on the 56. Looks amazing with your Batman and Hulk. We have similar tastes in that I have a Pepsi and Explorer II and would like to add the 56 (but probably the time/date model). The steel looks unreal in photos. My favorite feature is the integrated crown.

I've seen a fair bit of negativity around this line and absolutely do not get it. I've liked this watch from the get go. So what are your thoughts several months in to owning it? How much wrist time is it getting? Congrats again!

Thanks!
Pretty similar except I'm missing the Pepsi. Doubt I would have the chance to get one from the AD.

Still loving the 56 and I have to say it's still my favourite amongst all my other watches. Probably because it's a bit different to look at and also better finished. Maybe I'm a bit Rolex/sports watch fatigued out. I'm not bored of it yet and no regrets making the decision to get one.

I think the negativity was towards the Date only model as it wasn't using Vacheron's in-house movement, this tainted the entire line up without giving credit where its due. TBH the date model in petrol blue is stunning, I was tempted to add another to the collection but the VC boutique suggested I get something different
Old 23 October 2019, 05:00 AM   #50
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Still waiting for a trip to see this one in person. But I'm pretty sure this will be my next watch.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2019, 06:36 AM   #51
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Gorgeous watch. Enjoy it in good health. Went to the website to check the water resistance - personally I think it'd look great on rubber - but a paltry 30m. Someone other than Rolex really should look at blurring the line between dress and sport.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 06:23 PM   #52
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

Not sure how it would look on a rubber strap as it's not a sports watch. The alligator strap that comes with it is really nice as it has a thick padding near the case as it tapers down. Also the patina is gorgeous, just that I wished they would do the same for their custom order straps.

Here's how it looks on my slim wrist.

Old 24 October 2019, 07:31 PM   #53
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
it's an incredibly beautiful watch, the finishing is amazing!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 07:02 AM   #54
Subterranean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1989 16610 Sub
Stunning watch.
Subterranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2019, 07:20 AM   #55
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
VC has always been a quiet brand with classical offerings and proportions. This is a wonderful piece. Congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 01:18 AM   #56
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Beautiful piece, and love the collection as well.
I am really thinking to consider VC in the near future...
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 07:27 PM   #57
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelv_w View Post
Thanks all. That's some unexpected positive responses I love the watch and I'm not bothered by some of the flack towards the series, but I think it's mostly aimed at the Automatic Date for not having an in-house movement. I think some VC collectors are just being over dramatic and started nit picking. To me it's still has the VC look and draws upon similar designs from their Traditionelle watches. I didn't even know much about VC's line of watches or bothered about it, but I guess their social media and party did the job. Otherwise I would have bought another Rolex or an ALS

I did try the Complete Calendar too which I quite like but then I have no need for a moon complication. At 40mm, it's more casual than being strictly dressy. I have a very slim wrist and it fits rather well imho.

There's plenty of marketing at most of their boutiques when I was over in HK for work. Some were on huge boards and store fronts, seemed to be heavily promoting the FiftySix line especially the Complete Calendar. I was surprised that most of the Automatic Date were sold out (again despite all the negativity). The DayDate was quite popular too with only a few left.

Beautiful watch and it looks very much like a VC to my eyes. I always find it funny how the collectors/purists/fanboys freak out about some deviation/update/revision/departure. The cyclops of the Rolex's SD43 or hating on a gold diver's watch etc. Presumably, the manufacturers themselves must care somewhat about their own history and standards etc. yet decided to go ahead and do whatever. This would leave the upset people in charge of protecting the legacy for these houses of high horology, when the company itself, according to them, doesn't "care." Congrats to you. Stunning dial.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 02:15 PM   #58
VCO-LUST
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. That's an absolutely breath-taking watch. The Fiftysix collection is severely underrated.

Personally I find the Complete Calendar a tad more elegant than the Day-Date, just ever so slightly. Both are absolutely stunning
VCO-LUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 02:46 PM   #59
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Very nice! Excellent photos as well. Congrats and wears it in good health.

When this was released, some collectors took issue with the way VC was marketing the watch thru social media influencers. In one extreme example, a collector actually vowed to leave the brand just because of this. Another pet peeve was apparently the use of a non-VC movement to keep cost down. Personally, while I probably won't buy one, I find this watch elegant and well made.
Yes the standard 3 hander was the issue regarding the movement as it was the generic Richemont movement used in Baume & Mercier and Cartier etc and therefore also not geneva seal etc

However this day date uses a TRUE VC movement. This is probably my favourite version. Congratulations OP!!

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2022, 09:40 PM   #60
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Great pics, great watch!
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote