The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2007, 01:17 AM   #31
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I would not think the rolexrolex and serial# makes it look fake. The way the watch feels and looks tells you its 1st class genuine. Rolex is #1
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 02:16 AM   #32
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
I don't really think it's a matter of fake -or- not. I see it as more a question of appeal and taste. At a quick glance, it may seem subtle or even unnoticeable but... it's one of those things that, once noticed, it stands out like a sore thumb for me. Again, it's not the serial number but the repeated Rolex, Rolex, Rolex, Rolex... Even typing it seems tacky. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks on both sides of the fence as these things are quite subjective. Different strokes...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 04:26 AM   #33
mikey
"TRF" Member

I just got back from an AD. I check out the ring more closely. I could see how view can be divided on this issue. This is the direction Rolex is going in the 21st Century. For some reason, the TOG is not my favorite Rolex. I don't like the bezel.
Old 6 February 2007, 04:31 AM   #34
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablojota View Post
The ROLEXROLEX thing on the dial is very subtle, and under most conditions barely noticeable. It does show up well in pics though.
Agreed!! It is very subtle, but I still like it.....nice touch, I think!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 04:33 AM   #35
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 04:43 AM   #36
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
I don't really think it's a matter of fake -or- not. I see it as more a question of appeal and taste. At a quick glance, it may seem subtle or even unnoticeable but... it's one of those things that, once noticed, it stands out like a sore thumb for me. Again, it's not the serial number but the repeated Rolex, Rolex, Rolex, Rolex... Even typing it seems tacky. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks on both sides of the fence as these things are quite subjective. Different strokes...
I guess I need to clarify... I mean fake as in lame and overdone. Like if Izod Lacoste had the words IZOD IZOD IZOD all across the front of their shirts... as if no one knows what the understated crocodile symbol means.

Better yet, if you were shopping for a Ferrari and on one model the word FERRARI was basically painted in a 14 inch (350mm for our friends in the rest of the world) line in BLACK across the entire length of the car... And right next to it was a second one without this swoopy new option...

Which would you choose?

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2007, 05:19 AM   #37
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I just got back from an AD. I check out the ring more closely. I could see how view can be divided on this issue. This is the direction Rolex is going in the 21st Century. For some reason, the TOG is not my favorite Rolex. I don't like the bezel.

This is what it looks like to me...

Wouldn't you take it straight to your Fender and Paint guy to have it removed?

Old 6 February 2007, 05:52 AM   #38
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
This is what it looks like to me...

Wouldn't you take it straight to your Fender and Paint guy to have it removed?
NOT a very fair comparison at all, Tony.

Whereas on the Ferrari that looks downright STUPID, on the Rolex chapter ring, it looks very subtle and aesthetically beautiful!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 6 February 2007, 05:59 AM   #39
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
NOT a very fair comparison at all, Tony.

Whereas on the Ferrari that looks downright STUPID, on the Rolex chapter ring, it looks very subtle and aesthetically beautiful!!
I dunno JJ, I guess it's a case of to each his own. There are members of this forum that don't like the TT Blue Sub at all... are they wrong or being unfair? It doesn't change the way I feel about it. I'd love that watch if no one else did. I'm sure some racer replica guys'd love it if their Ferrari had the words all over the car.

Other members besides me have said that the ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX looks pretty obvious and wrong to them. It smacks of tackiness to me...

Okay, how about on this car?

That look better? To me it still looks really ugly.

Old 6 February 2007, 06:02 AM   #40
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
I dunno JJ, I guess it's a case of to each his own. I'm sure some racer replica guys'd love it if their Ferrari had the words all over the car.

Other members besides me have said that it looks pretty obvious. It just looks tacky.

Okay, how about on this car?

That look better? To me it still looks really ugly.
Still looks tacky to me. IMHO, a Ferrari doesn't need the name "Ferrari" printed several times all over its body. Just the yellow LOGO with the prancing horse should suffice!!

Old 6 February 2007, 06:14 AM   #41
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Still looks tacky to me. IMHO, a Ferrari doesn't need the name "Ferrari" printed several times all over its body. Just the yellow LOGO with the prancing horse should suffice!!
Yet a Rolex needs the name ROLEX printed several times around the chapter ring? I believe they don't.

After all, what would a Rolex be without the name etched all around the chapter ring? Would our beloved TT Blue Subs be less of a rolex without the name emblazoned on them? For me the Name and Crown on the face of the watch suffices... In fact, it's what gives them their quiet elegance. I'd even go as far as to say that any of their myriad models didn't say Rolex, those in the know would still find it beautiful.

And for those of you who might feel I'm picking on the italians... here's an ugly BMW paint scheme... but this guy wouldn't have his car any other way.

Wouldn't this M still be a BMW if it was just plain black?

Last edited by tonelar; 6 February 2007 at 08:30 AM..
Old 6 February 2007, 07:40 AM   #42
mikey
"TRF" Member

Seriously, I do not like the TT Blue Sub. The Sub is a great watch. If it were my dime, I would go for a TT Black Dial Sub. The novelty of the blue wears fast and your stuck with a blue dial watch. I like TT but either a gold or black dial is best on a sport model. My 2 cents
Old 6 February 2007, 08:25 AM   #43
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Seriously, I do not like the TT Blue Sub. The Sub is a great watch. If it were my dime, I would go for a TT Black Dial Sub. The novelty of the blue wears fast and your stuck with a blue dial watch. I like TT but either a gold or black dial is best on a sport model. My 2 cents
Thanks Mikey.

My point exactly, one's opinion, experiences and taste are very personal. When I say that it looks lame to me, it's exactly how I see it. The black dial TT Sub reminds me of the black and gold trans am pontiac (which I hated with a passion). I'd never tell someone they shouldn't wear something or buy something to enjoy just because it's not to my liking. If it makes them happy, then more power to them.

Here in the States, the Motorcycle magazines rely heavily on the manufacturers for their $$$, so you'll never read a negative review of a certain make and model. In England, the MC magazines are subscription and sales driven, so guess who prints a more honest review and for that matter is more fun to read?

That's one of the reasons why I enjoy this forum... we all have differing opinions. While we may not agree all the time, we still like these watches.

Old 6 February 2007, 02:35 PM   #44
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Quote:
I knew I could count on you to back me up, JJ.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2007, 07:30 AM   #45
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Since we're posting car pictures....

astcell is offline   Reply With Quote