The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2014, 08:02 PM   #31
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Will get my callipers out tomorrow. Tonight I am just going to watch TV and try and relax.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 08:58 PM   #32
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Will get my callipers out tomorrow. Tonight I am just going to watch TV and try and relax.
Yeah me too, but tomorrow I'll say tomorrow, an so on..
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:01 PM   #33
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Yeah me too, but tomorrow I'll say tomorrow, an so on..
No rush, not that important and I can wait.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:05 PM   #34
Im Lauf der Zeit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
It does kind of make me wonder what else they are exaggerating.
The prices.
Im Lauf der Zeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
No rush, not that important and I can wait.
Haha, no problem. Tomorrow ok, or the next day....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
The prices.
Old 1 October 2014, 09:25 PM   #36
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
This is like measuring your private parts. Some times you don't want to know specifics, and just go with a rough estimate, rounding up of course
Steel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:57 PM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Good chart but why no DJII??? That's the one I'm curious about
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:08 PM   #38
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good chart but why no DJII??? That's the one I'm curious about
I looked at that chart too, and agree its pretty good. But my guess is it's older and hasn't been updated to reflect the most recent changes in the rolex line up. For instance my wife's 31mm Datejust measured larger than that chart.

I measured in three locations taking three measurments in each. The round bezel, from 1:30 to 6:30 & 4:30 to 10:30. These locations are just below and above the pushers. All my measurements where consistent and returned 38.5-38.55. I gave the size the benifit of the doubt and went with the larger 38.55mm

This thread has brought out some of the most childish comments. It's unfortunate...

This thread also isn't just a Daytona thread. Its about sizing and like what the chart reflects. All the watches seem to be effected.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:14 PM   #39
BCNJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi/LVC/DJII
I was dead set on a yellow gold, white dialed daytona on brown croc strap...until i tried it on. just didn't look right
BCNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:42 PM   #40
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many

Thanks for letting me know this, I will be sure to throw away my Daytona when I get home
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:15 PM   #41
rwolfort
"TRF" Member

In the era of large watches, the daytona indeed wears smaller.

IMO it looks better with a long sleeve shirt than short sleeves

However, it is iconic and was my second rolex after a submariner

An absolute classic but its understated bezel gives it a smaller feel
rwolfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:57 PM   #42
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This thread also isn't just a Daytona thread. Its about sizing and like what the chart reflects. All the watches seem to be effected.
The issue is that most people 99% probably buy visually and by feeling, not with callipers. The Deepsea is not 44mm more like 43.7 or something. Do I care, nope. Numbers don't mean anything except to give my brain an idea of what I'm to expect based on what I already feel comfortable with.
I do know I like the Daytona and it's "small" size, 39, 40, whatever. Look at what Rolex did with the Sub, made it look bigger but it's still 40mm. AP does the same because their watches lack traditional lugs so the watch looks bigger, but it's all about feel and sight, not callipers.

If this is an advertising or legal issue for you then that's another story. Before we throw numbers at Rolex you need to see their design blueprints(not happening) to understand exactly what they assess in the context of each reference for measuring and at what point do they round up or down and why. There's a lot more I'm sure to consider, but goodness gracious, would this really deter anyone from buying a Rolex.

Have you measured AP's watches or Patek's. Is this really a consideration when buying a watch, I like it but..... one second while I pull out my callipers and confirm the thickness is what you say it is, and do you mind if I weigh it to establish the actual weight.....

I just don't get how this is significant....my friends who aren't wis couldn't even tell the difference between my LVc and my buddies regular LV, until I specifically put my LVc's dial in the light. Most buyers walk into an AD and look for what they want and try it on and decide based on that. They'll just see a DJ and say yes I like the smaller one or no I like this bigger one, looks better. They have no idea one is 36mm and the other 41mm, or 37mm and 41.5.
Doesn't matter, in my opinion. Hopefully you can get some resolution to this problem with these measurements for yourself.
Old 2 October 2014, 12:31 AM   #43
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Quote:
Man, I wish I had this much time on my hands....
well, you obviously do, after all, you are contributing to this thread
Old 2 October 2014, 01:22 AM   #44
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
I don't get all the hurt feelings on this thread. The op was not bashing the daytona, not sure why all the supporters need to come to the daytonas defense. This site discusses correct lume, dial, bracelet, whether or not you can wear your watch here, while eating insert here... Whether or not to polish a tiny scratch out of a bracelet or return a watch to a watch maker for a spec of dust on a dial. Not sure why the op is getting it for bringing up the fact a watch that is listed to be 40mm, that wears small, is actually 1.5mm smaller. Sounds kinda relevant to trf, no?
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:26 AM   #45
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
I don't get all the hurt feelings on this thread. The op was not bashing the daytona, not sure why all the supporters need to puff up their chests. This site discusses correct lume, dial, bracelet, whether or not you can wear your watch here, while eating insert here... Whether or not to polish a tiny scratch out of a bracelet or return a watch to a watch maker for a spec of dust on a dial. Not sure why the op is getting it for bringing up the fact a watch that is listed to be 40mm, that wears small, is actually 1.5mm smaller. Sounds kinda relevant to trf, no?
Agree, he was not bashing. I don't know why folks are getting all upset. He simply measured the diameter and noticed it was off (fairly significantly) from what the manufacturer specifies. I thought it was pretty interestting.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 01:34 AM   #46
Mr Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai
Quote:
I don't get all the hurt feelings on this thread. The op was not bashing the daytona, not sure why all the supporters need to come to the daytonas defense. This site discusses correct lume, dial, bracelet, whether or not you can wear your watch here, while eating insert here... Whether or not to polish a tiny scratch out of a bracelet or return a watch to a watch maker for a spec of dust on a dial. Not sure why the op is getting it for bringing up the fact a watch that is listed to be 40mm, that wears small, is actually 1.5mm smaller. Sounds kinda relevant to trf, no?
I don't get all the bashing either. This is a Rolex watch forum right? We all are obsessive watch geeks so this pretty much falls into something an obsessive watch geek would talk about. Of course, if we had another "can I get my watch wet" or "can I wear my watch in X foreign country" thread, there would be bashing too. I think sometimes when people have been on a forum for a long time they get a bit weary because most everything has been talked about multiple times. Happens on ALL forums I have noticed over the years. Just my two cents.
Mr Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 02:15 AM   #47
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
The issue is that most people 99% probably buy visually and by feeling, not with callipers. The Deepsea is not 44mm more like 43.7 or something. Do I care, nope. Numbers don't mean anything except to give my brain an idea of what I'm to expect based on what I already feel comfortable with.
I do know I like the Daytona and it's "small" size, 39, 40, whatever. Look at what Rolex did with the Sub, made it look bigger but it's still 40mm. AP does the same because their watches lack traditional lugs so the watch looks bigger, but it's all about feel and sight, not callipers.

If this is an advertising or legal issue for you then that's another story. Before we throw numbers at Rolex you need to see their design blueprints(not happening) to understand exactly what they assess in the context of each reference for measuring and at what point do they round up or down and why. There's a lot more I'm sure to consider, but goodness gracious, would this really deter anyone from buying a Rolex.

Have you measured AP's watches or Patek's. Is this really a consideration when buying a watch, I like it but..... one second while I pull out my callipers and confirm the thickness is what you say it is, and do you mind if I weigh it to establish the actual weight.....

I just don't get how this is significant....my friends who aren't wis couldn't even tell the difference between my LVc and my buddies regular LV, until I specifically put my LVc's dial in the light. Most buyers walk into an AD and look for what they want and try it on and decide based on that. They'll just see a DJ and say yes I like the smaller one or no I like this bigger one, looks better. They have no idea one is 36mm and the other 41mm, or 37mm and 41.5.
Doesn't matter, in my opinion. Hopefully you can get some resolution to this problem with these measurements for yourself.
I like you a lot today, Rashid...You make a lotta sense, my brother. I agree with all of your main points but especially the part about the blueprints. Basing this whole thing on one guy's not necessarily accurate hand/calipre measurement makes it all the more banal.
Old 2 October 2014, 02:17 AM   #48
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I, too, am occasionally guilty of bashing, especially in the passive-aggressive manner that drives most people nuts.. But I respect that everyone has an opinion.
I sometimes wonder why some members seem to frequently be negative. Then I realize that's what a forum is all about...a platform to express one's opinion, whether it be negative, positive, indifferent, or even immaterial.
So who cares who cares? Bring me another glass of wine! Wait… It's too early for that in California (for some people...)
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 02:20 AM   #49
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Only if the info is accurate. Can you please post the technical drawing of the Daytona case? Then it will be a subject of interest.
Old 2 October 2014, 04:53 AM   #50
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post

I like you a lot today, Rashid...You make a lotta sense, my brother. I agree with all of your main points but especially the part about the blueprints. Basing this whole thing on one guy's not necessarily accurate hand/calipre measurement makes it all the more banal.
Right on Jake,
Chuck Taylors 4 life...

Just trying to use common sense and look at what I consider when I pick up a watch, and it's likely the same as everyone else, hell, just read in the AP section someone buying a Ceramic Diver without ever trying one on.

If you put on the AP Diver right after wearing a Deepsea for example, the AP looks bigger/or wider on the wrist yet it's 42mm and much more comfy. So how or what are they measuring.....Not a detail I really consider, but dial changes and font differences are a bit more significant. We use that to date the watches even. Or details like the larger crown guards on the precious metal Daytonas, that's note worthy.
To me this seems like if I were to say my car only gets 25mpg highway and the manufacturer clearly states on the sticker that I should get 29mpg highway. Well yeah, but do we know exactly the five Ws on exactly how they got that and did you do exactly the same thing under the exact same parameters and got different results.......or
were you just driving to the beach and used your iPhone app.
That's the issue.
Old 2 October 2014, 07:18 AM   #51
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I think watch sizes must be like calibers. They're nominal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 07:56 AM   #52
sturgeon123456
"TRF" Member

Do you measure from the base of the shaft or the balls.....wait what are we talking about here.

All jokes aside I think this is interesting. Some people care about the measurement others don't.

I own a Daytona, I love the watch and they way it wears. Knowing that it may be 1.5 mm smaller than what rolex states does not change my opinion whatsoever of the beautiful time piece that it is.

Lets just say that rolex may be off roughly 3% in their measurement. Thats tolerable in my opinion.

Plus the tools used for measurements could vary slightly.

Diamonds that have been submitted to both AGS and GIA almost always come back with slightly different measurements for the exact same stone and they are using ultra precise tools.

I would like to see more peoples results, and keep it to mm not inches please ;)
sturgeon123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 07:59 AM   #53
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Kind of suspected that, it wears smaller. Doesn't bother me at all. As stated, the Deepsea isn't reallly 44mm either.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 08:09 AM   #54
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, AP, and PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Call the lawyers!
Kadhytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 08:26 AM   #55
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
I want my money back for the 1.5MM of material I was promised.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 09:58 AM   #56
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Thanks for the support. Look at it this way, imagine your watch was supposed to beat at 36k but in reality it only beat at 34.890. but all the gearing was designed around 36,000. Then the company said..But its close enough so we'll calll it 36000. never the less you end up with a watch running slow. Is this acceptable? Of course its not, we demand accuracy in our watches, so shouldn't we demand the same for the outside as we do the inside? Its $12,000 US Dollars for a SS daytona. Do you just shrug off the inaccuracy?

If it fits.. who really cares right? Then why doesn't Rolex go ahead and advertise it at 38.5 or 39? They advirtise others at 31, 36, 40, 41, 42, 44

Nope we won't see thier drawings but that really doesn't matter.

Why didn't I measure a Patek, an AP? because I don't own them, and it realy wouldn't matter on a Rolex forum anyway.

Funny, you think I need resolution, go back and reread the original post... I was mostly just wondering what other pieces were not the size they advertised. I was looking to chat on the matter. Someone kindly posted a link to a chart that I found interesting and enlightening.

And for the record, I worked in the Avition business and a few thousandths wrong on a caliper can kill an entire plane full of people. I know how to read and use a set of calipers. I own three sets. Also my calipers are all calibrated by a PMEL company.

I figured there might be another engineer type that has a Rolex that would like to join in measuring thier time piece... Looks like I was wrong.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 10:54 AM   #57
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
If the performance of the watch was off as in your example, that's different to me and I would not find that acceptable. A measurement of a case size while odd, doesn't bother me as much because regardless of the dimensions, I saw the case and still found it appealing. Why Rolex doesn't call it a 38 or 39mm is beyond me, maybe they feel that buyers will not appreciate a sports watch in the size in this day and age??
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 11:09 AM   #58
chaisson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Thanks for the support. Look at it this way, imagine your watch was supposed to beat at 36k but in reality it only beat at 34.890. but all the gearing was designed around 36,000. Then the company said..But its close enough so we'll calll it 36000. never the less you end up with a watch running slow. Is this acceptable? Of course its not, we demand accuracy in our watches, so shouldn't we demand the same for the outside as we do the inside? Its $12,000 US Dollars for a SS daytona. Do you just shrug off the inaccuracy?

If it fits.. who really cares right? Then why doesn't Rolex go ahead and advertise it at 38.5 or 39? They advirtise others at 31, 36, 40, 41, 42, 44

Nope we won't see thier drawings but that really doesn't matter.

Why didn't I measure a Patek, an AP? because I don't own them, and it realy wouldn't matter on a Rolex forum anyway.

Funny, you think I need resolution, go back and reread the original post... I was mostly just wondering what other pieces were not the size they advertised. I was looking to chat on the matter. Someone kindly posted a link to a chart that I found interesting and enlightening.

And for the record, I worked in the Avition business and a few thousandths wrong on a caliper can kill an entire plane full of people. I know how to read and use a set of calipers. I own three sets. Also my calipers are all calibrated by a PMEL company.

I figured there might be another engineer type that has a Rolex that would like to join in measuring thier time piece... Looks like I was wrong.
Kind of looks like a lot of people struggle and take offense with the facts, it's like height with some people. Rounded up just sounds better.
chaisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 11:34 AM   #59
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lauf der Zeit View Post
The prices.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 11:37 AM   #60
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Title of the thread was a bit inflammatory, no?
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote