The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2017, 03:08 AM   #31
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Good to know Brian, hope this extends worldwide, and presumably this does not void the warranty if done by RSC.
That's correct, its only done to verify authenticity and warranty remains in tact
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 03:12 AM   #32
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue16613 View Post
I think we all would agree that these guys (and others frequently cited here) would never, ever dream of selling a non-genuine watch.

But, this speaks to intention. And, again, the intentions of those we speak of are always noble.

The question is whether or not it is possible that they could unintentionally sell a piece that is not genuine or has some component which is not authentic?

We can argue this back and forth but maybe we should ask them. Would they, under oath in a court of law, say it is not possible this could happen?

My guess is they would all say of course it is possible.

Does that make them any the less honest or trustworthy. No, of course not.

All one needs to know is that if it ever occurred they'd be there to stand behind their sale.

"Trust but verify!"
I agree 100% with this. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, my AD said they can't verify authenticity without opening the case, and they will not do this in the store.

I kinda doubt all the trusted sellers open the cases on watches they get in on trade. It's possible something could slip past them if they don't do this on a regular basis. Again, I'm sure they would stand behind their product if there was an issue.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 03:15 AM   #33
j.mo
"TRF" Member

I like to see Threads like this with good speakings of the TS's here. I'm supposed to be picking up an 116610 from ocrolexguy (Patrick) tomorrow.
j.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 03:43 AM   #34
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
Quote:
Ah!
Finally!
Now it has all come clear and I see the error in my thinking.....

ADs only want to sell you a watch and make money but "trusted sellers" just want to be your friend.
Hahahaha you beat me to it
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 04:00 AM   #35
j.mo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah!
Finally!
Now it has all come clear and I see the error in my thinking.....

ADs only want to sell you a watch and make money but "trusted sellers" just want to be your friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrolex View Post
Hahahaha you beat me to it
I've talked to a few trusted sellers while searching for a sub, while I'm sure they are great guys, I wouldn't say I've had any warmer of a welcome than at the AD. And the Ad wanted to make a deal and get on to the next one..
Maybe I'm new here, but they really don't seem too keen to answer too many questions or conversation other than are you ready to wire the money.

Now I do A LOT of ecommerce and online shopping, but never have I wired $7600 to a guy through a forum for an item that is in the top echelon of counterfeit goods. I'm sure the sellers get bombarded with the same questions over and over but they need to remember that's the business they are in and have a little patience and willingness to spend some time to make the deal.
j.mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 06:50 AM   #36
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
While I totally agree with "buy the seller" I also understand that mistakes happen and bad apples can slip through the cracks. It gives me extra peace of mind to send a newly acquired piece in to RSC for a service appraisal. They would catch any authenticity issues in the process. Also the only way to make sure a piece hasn't been reported stolen is to send it in.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 07:54 AM   #37
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
While I totally agree with "buy the seller" I also understand that mistakes happen and bad apples can slip through the cracks. It gives me extra peace of mind to send a newly acquired piece in to RSC for a service appraisal. They would catch any authenticity issues in the process. Also the only way to make sure a piece hasn't been reported stolen is to send it in.
That is exactly what I did. Bought my 16710 Coke from a well-reputed trusted seller. A simply great transaction. As service history was unknown, it made sense to send to RSC for service. First the AD verified authenticity before sending to RSC, and watch was returned from RSC with corresponding documentation noting model and serial number as well as service date for the two year warranty.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 08:22 AM   #38
c41006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
That is exactly what I did. Bought my 16710 Coke from a well-reputed trusted seller. A simply great transaction. As service history was unknown, it made sense to send to RSC for service. First the AD verified authenticity before sending to RSC, and watch was returned from RSC with corresponding documentation noting model and serial number as well as service date for the two year warranty.

Also if a piece isn't due for service yet, you can still send it in for an appraisal and then simply deny the service and it will only cost you shipping.
Old 7 April 2017, 08:36 AM   #39
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Wow...buy a watch from someone else then have the AD waste time and RSC time by sending it in and then denying the service just to authenticate ...I would hope you would at least pay the shipping for them to do that .
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 08:44 AM   #40
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
AD may not do it there. They will charge you a pretty penny to do it. But its worth the price for piece of mind. You can always take it to a reputable non AD watch maker. Here in LA, I take it to ABC watchwerks for authenticating. They'll do it for a small charge and tell me on the spot.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 08:44 AM   #41
c41006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM3 View Post
Wow...buy a watch from someone else then have the AD waste time and RSC time by sending it in and then denying the service just to authenticate ...I would hope you would at least pay the shipping for them to do that .

Yeah obviously you pay shipping costs. Most of the time it would make sense to go ahead and have the watch serviced while it's there but if you choose not to have the service done, you can have the watch returned to you and the only cost to you is shipping.

If you have a better way to verify that the watch is 100% authentic and is not in the Rolex stolen watch database, I'm open to hear it. This is just the best way I've found so far.
Old 7 April 2017, 08:51 AM   #42
DrThom
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
I've purchased watches from DavidSW and SOHAIS and never even considered getting it authenticated. Am I being foolish or too trustworthy?
This! I've bought both as well, never an issue! Peace of mind is priceless.
For the record, I've also bought a used Rolex from the local AD and when I have an issue, they go out of their way to help regardless of where I've purchased the watch. I've also had the AD appraise several watches so they get some business as well.

Best of luck!
DrThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 08:58 AM   #43
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
I would pay for them to authenticate the watch which as posted on this thread is 175 instead of being deceitful to save a view bucks...
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2017, 09:14 AM   #44
c41006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM3 View Post
I would pay for them to authenticate the watch which as posted on this thread is 175 instead of being deceitful to save a view bucks...

I don't think all RSCs are willing to authenticate pieces. If they are then yeah absolutely go ahead and pay the fee for them to do it. Personally I've always gone ahead and had my watches serviced anyway.
Old 15 September 2017, 05:26 AM   #45
xxxkahunaxxx
"TRF" Member

Took mine to nearest AD in Canada to be authenticated, and they wouldnt even really look at it...I had the Rolex Canada service centre invoice from the previous owner showing the watch had been serviced, and authenticated. (those charges were waived as he had paid for full service, which is only done on authentic watch)
All they would say was that the invoice looked as it should, but other than that, they said I'd have to take it to Rolex Canada and pay 200.00cad (176.00 plus tax) for authentication, which takes a full 7 business days.
But since any piece of paper could be faked using photo shop i decided to take it to Rolex Canada and pay the fee for my own peace of mind...
Have to wait til next week for the "verdict"
xxxkahunaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:11 PM   #46
Kieranrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Interesting topic.
I just recently acquired a lovely 16700 GMT from a source I trusted but I still, for peace of mind got a RSC service quote as it was due. Unfortunately they wanted to replace the hands........ :(
Kieranrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 10:15 PM   #47
kmwrestle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
My local AD, which is a big jewelry chain, told me they will not take the back off to authenticate a watch. They would send it out to a RSC.

Just give them a call. I'm sure they won't get upset with you for asking.
Mine said the same thing
kmwrestle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 12:41 AM   #48
Yurigs
"TRF" Member

This is tough and why you ALWAYS have to buy the seller. I got burned on a vintage piece before by not following the golden rule. yes, I bought an authentic vintage rolex BUT the movement was serviced by an incompetent watchmaker. My watch maker inspected the watch and instantly knew what was wrong.

BUY THE SELLER FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING
Yurigs is offline   Reply With Quote