The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 August 2019, 06:40 AM   #31
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini675 View Post
The "watch that saved watches" likely has a bit more long term juice than that, but to each their own.

I love my 114060 and my 116520, and always will. But close minded brand loyalty is not my thing either OP, and there are so many amazing watches out there to experience, enjoy, and make memories with. Loving my newest edition, Royal Oak 15500ST. It will live in harmony right along side my favorite Rolex and other pieces :)

That gray dial is stunning. I might have considered adding a RO to the collection (and actually tried to do so) but my dealer lost the brand and these aren’t all that easy to come by at retail now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:38 AM   #32
illini675
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
That gray dial is stunning. I might have considered adding a RO to the collection (and actually tried to do so) but my dealer lost the brand and these aren’t all that easy to come by at retail now.

Thank you! I'm absolutely in love with it :)

Sorry to hear about your dealer losing the brand, that's a bummer all around... On a positive note, the AP boutique experience is phenomenal, and they do seem to be very enthusiast focussed. Can't hurt to reach out to whoever is closest and have a conversation. Best of luck!
Old 25 August 2019, 07:51 AM   #33
Mr.Jack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

Had a talk with the new AP boutique in ATL recently and they said they're slowly pulling from every AD to go solely to an AP boutique model. Not sure how true, but that's what I was told.

Also, what's the wait time on these actually? Some say impossible and some say a few months?
Mr.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:54 AM   #34
Mr.Jack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The "watch that saved watches" likely has a bit more long term juice than that, but to each their own.

I love my 114060 and my 116520, and always will. But close minded brand loyalty is not my thing either OP, and there are so many amazing watches out there to experience, enjoy, and make memories with. Loving my newest edition, Royal Oak 15500ST. It will live in harmony right along side my favorite Rolex and other pieces :)

This is absolutely stunning. Never considered an APRO before as I'd imagined I'd jump from Rolex to a 5711, but this has me reconsidering... Curious, what was your wait time if you purchased primary from a boutique/AD?

Also, what's your wrist size? It's perfect on you.
Old 25 August 2019, 07:56 AM   #35
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Thank you! I'm absolutely in love with it :)

Sorry to hear about your dealer losing the brand, that's a bummer all around... On a positive note, the AP boutique experience is phenomenal, and they do seem to be very enthusiast focussed. Can't hurt to reach out to whoever is closest and have a conversation. Best of luck!

Good to know, thanks. I actually visited the NYC boutique to do just that. They were very friendly and my interest is registered, but they didn’t give
much reason to be hopeful if you know what I mean. It doesn’t help that there are so few boutiques, and they all seem to be located in major cities with plenty of money flowing through them.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:30 AM   #36
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch but I’d say much harder to get than most rolex models
It’s a boutique only model!
Old 25 August 2019, 08:30 AM   #37
cloudplay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
I just do not get the whole AP thing. These watches look like something out of the 70's, and not in a good way. Look is way to retro and not timeless at all. I get that the finishing work is amazing but at the end of the day these are fashion baubles and I can see them being worth next to nothing at some point as they are so different.
Given that the 70's ended 40 years ago and that the RO matching the 70's original most closely goes for >1.5x retail at this time, you may have to wait a while for the point when they are "worth next to nothing".
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:31 AM   #38
illini675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jack View Post
This is absolutely stunning. Never considered an APRO before as I'd imagined I'd jump from Rolex to a 5711, but this has me reconsidering... Curious, what was your wait time if you purchased primary from a boutique/AD?

Also, what's your wrist size? It's perfect on you.
Thanks so much I was fortunate to purchase from the boutique. They were able to confirm an allocation for me in around 6 weeks, at which point I was able to pay in full, and then wait another ~4 weeks for delivery. What I found interesting (and refreshing) was the transparency in communication and strong indication of knowing what the allocations would look like ahead of time.

My wrist is 7.5", and very flat across the top. The watch looks like it was tailored for my wrist. I got quite lucky in that way

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I actually visited the NYC boutique to do just that. They were very friendly and my interest is registered, but they didn’t give
much reason to be hopeful if you know what I mean. It doesn’t help that there are so few boutiques, and they all seem to be located in major cities with plenty of money flowing through them.

I agree, the boutiques are unfortunately very few and far between, and primarily in areas with a tremendous number of bigger clients... With that said, it's still a business of people, and they are not ignorant to the grey market shenanigans. I wouldn't lose hope if you're really into the watch- keep in touch with the people you met there and it will eventually work out!
Old 25 August 2019, 08:38 AM   #39
pkincy
"TRF" Member

That blue dialed AP is stunning! Congratulations.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:49 AM   #40
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I can attest to the RO being a great Rolex palate cleaner. I recently got one and have bonded very well with it so much so that rotating with my Rolex watches seem like a bit of a letdown already.

Aside from the exquisite finishing, the precise feel of the crown “click-clicking” during manual wind is so mesmerizing to the touch.

I have also deciphered its characteristics to achieve spot-on timekeeping.

It highlights a great Rolex lineup. I doubt it can withstand the rough handling or sports activities that a Rolex can hurdle without breaking a sweat.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:50 AM   #41
Mr.Jack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much I was fortunate to purchase from the boutique. They were able to confirm an allocation for me in around 6 weeks, at which point I was able to pay in full, and then wait another ~4 weeks for delivery. What I found interesting (and refreshing) was the transparency in communication and strong indication of knowing what the allocations would look like ahead of time.

My wrist is 7.5", and very flat across the top. The watch looks like it was tailored for my wrist. I got quite lucky in that way

I agree, the boutiques are unfortunately very few and far between, and primarily in areas with a tremendous number of bigger clients... With that said, it's still a business of people, and they are not ignorant to the grey market shenanigans. I wouldn't lose hope if you're really into the watch- keep in touch with the people you met there and it will eventually work out!

Love the transparency! That's a breath of fresh air to hear. I was hoping you said ~7 inches as I'm sitting a hair over 6.5 inches. I'll need to go try on some 41mm there. 114060 sits about right on me, but I'm not sure how the AP wears.
Old 25 August 2019, 09:18 AM   #42
illini675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the transparency! That's a breath of fresh air to hear. I was hoping you said ~7 inches as I'm sitting a hair over 6.5 inches. I'll need to go try on some 41mm there. 114060 sits about right on me, but I'm not sure how the AP wears.

Definitely try them on- the 15450 might be the right fit for you. I prefer smaller watches in general, and was initially on the fence between the two. In the end, the 15500 was the right one, but that may not be the case at 6.5”. Tim Mosso’s review of the 15400 on YouTube would be a helpful test as his wrist is the same size!

I snapped a quick pic for you next to my 114060 to try and help as well.

Old 25 August 2019, 09:19 AM   #43
illini675
"TRF" Member

Sorry, meant to attach this. Hope it helps.

Old 25 August 2019, 09:39 AM   #44
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Very very nice RO

Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:17 AM   #45
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I really like that small, simple clasp.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:08 AM   #46
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
I just do not get the whole AP thing. These watches look like something out of the 70's, and not in a good way. Look is way to retro and not timeless at all. I get that the finishing work is amazing but at the end of the day these are fashion baubles and I can see them being worth next to nothing at some point as they are so different.
That's okay! It is a much smaller company than rolex and will never share the mass appeal that you desire. Have to buy what you like.
Old 25 August 2019, 11:09 AM   #47
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Sorry, meant to attach this. Hope it helps.

You take excellent pictures
Old 25 August 2019, 11:10 AM   #48
illini675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
You take excellent pictures

Thank you! If only I remembered to wipe my fingerprints from the bezel before snapping this one!

Old 25 August 2019, 12:00 PM   #49
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Ap & pateks are nice but those watches are scratch magnets

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:31 PM   #50
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike83 View Post

Surprisingly not, as I found out provided you have good wrist presence. Before I got my RO my nephew (he owns an ROC and ROO) cautioned me that it is a scratch magnet. It turns out not as bad as I expected. It is unforgiving though if you hit a metal object but it does not get mysterious scratches or dings.
Old 25 August 2019, 12:41 PM   #51
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
Quote:

The polished links on some of my Rolex sport watches are more scratch prone in my experience
Old 25 August 2019, 03:37 PM   #52
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
The market in general is bananas! When Watchfinder is selling a 15400 (blue dial) for £27,500 and a BLNR/LV for £14,000 it's all monkey business!! People who have never shown an interest in watches are now desperate to get on the game as 'it's such a good investment" (in London anyway).

I'm not going to lie - I'm hoping for a brexit inspired crash so all these guys can go looking for 'investments' back to the stock or forex market and leave watches for those with a passion for the timepieces not the supposed 'investment.'
Old 25 August 2019, 04:15 PM   #53
thejerseyrock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, AP
Beautiful piece! congrats!

(and fwiw, glad i got mine 5 years ago)
thejerseyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 06:29 PM   #54
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Terrific pictures, probably the best I've seen of the 15500. Grey is my favorite dial color, too. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 06:32 PM   #55
Gwai
"TRF" Member

I meant Max's pictures, sorry. Hadn't reloaded the page.
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:31 PM   #56
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Def try a 15450 and forget about the 15500 which will be too large for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:35 PM   #57
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Def try a 15450 and forget about the 15500 which will be too large for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. My wrist is 6.7”-ish and the 15450 is just right for me.
Old 25 August 2019, 11:21 PM   #58
moneymike83
Banned

Watch: Sd43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
The polished links on some of my Rolex sport watches are more scratch prone in my experience

I don’t mind the bracelet to be scratched. The frame of the frame of ap & Patek scratches so easily. Tell me if I am wrong.

moneymike83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:07 AM   #59
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_UK View Post
The market in general is bananas! When Watchfinder is selling a 15400 (blue dial) for £27,500 and a BLNR/LV for £14,000 it's all monkey business!! People who have never shown an interest in watches are now desperate to get on the game as 'it's such a good investment" (in London anyway).

I'm not going to lie - I'm hoping for a brexit inspired crash so all these guys can go looking for 'investments' back to the stock or forex market and leave watches for those with a passion for the timepieces not the supposed 'investment.'
Well Brexit caused all this mess with the currency collapse and now if we leave with no deal, as seems likely, the currency will stay weak which will mean we are still cheap and thus very popular. If we remain then things could change but seems very unlikely now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2019, 01:52 AM   #60
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
I don’t mind the bracelet to be scratched. The frame of the frame of ap & Patek scratches so easily. Tell me if I am wrong.

15300st original finish.

You’re wrong.

pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote