The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 May 2023, 08:15 AM   #31
carwash66
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor
If they are having “production” issues, could be caused by unavailability of certain raw materials.
Old 22 May 2023, 08:29 AM   #32
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenementhall View Post
Not true, asked my ADs (2 largest in Manhattan) and no difference in number of incoming Pepsis, nor any expectation of it
Well there you go: the ADs most likely to have priority are still getting those watches. Makes sense to me.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 08:42 AM   #33
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Yeah, the blue turns black ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you post this. The blue on my Pepsi is super dark. Almost black. Like that from Day 1. I must say that I like that a lot. Makes the watch sort of like a coke. Is this something people are asking Rolex to replace?
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:19 AM   #34
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I thought I saw the Pepsi bezel production issues mentioned here in another earlier thread a week or so ago. I know Rolex had a time perfecting the color transition in the first models.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:34 AM   #35
phillyvice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
Grey dealers must be getting desperate in order to maintain those inflated blro prices that hardly anyone is paying these days..

Smart

phillyvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:50 AM   #36
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

This was verified about 6 months ago.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 10:46 AM   #37
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
This was verified about 6 months ago.

What was verified? The rumor? Lol

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 11:20 AM   #38
biza
Banned

I doubt if it's true
biza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 11:27 AM   #39
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post
My opinion, fake news. Rolex has perfected the blue and red coloring on the insert for quite some time. They make 4 or 5 different bezel inserts for the different variations of GMT’s on their catalog which means their production may get shared across all those variations.

This. After all these years, they sort of lost the color combination? Accidentally spilled in some yellow?

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 12:55 PM   #40
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetwarren View Post
Has the rumour that Rolex is having trouble getting the colour of Pepsi bezels been substantiated at all? The rumour goes that ADs will be receiving fewer Pepsis this year due to this issue. Is it true or fake news?
How would we know?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:21 PM   #41
Lceltic
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
My AD said they are now getting fewer Pepsis than Daytonas. I have a Pepsi so I could care less about this subject. Just passing on what I was told. She does not know the reason but did say they have recently been getting in a lot more Batman/Batgirls.
Lceltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:31 PM   #42
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Yes Rolex, the behemoth of watch production, is now having issues because unknown reasons and the info is leaking on a random person's insight.

People above the 25% IQ quartile know to ignore this information.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 06:54 PM   #43
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
My AD tells me their watches come in batches, there are times a bunch of GMTs (Batman / Pepsi), then daytona, etc., so it may just be the cycle where GMTs (or Pepsi) are not coming in these batches.
rg9390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 07:53 PM   #44
Meg007
"TRF" Member

Have been told in uk that there’s no Pepsi due any time soon by my AD. I have one so I take this to be a real story.
Meg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:00 PM   #45
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Things are usually produced in batches. Losing a batch or even two can put a hole in the supply chain. It happens. Has it happened to the BLRO bezel insert? I don't know, although I tend to trust the feedback I see from some contributors, one of whom has posted in this thread.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 09:27 PM   #46
KeobNepo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
nobody knows
KeobNepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2023, 10:37 PM   #47
rolexgs
Banned

same rumors about the Op41 red and yellow dial.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 12:13 AM   #48
KM95
"TRF" Member

This is 100% true and it is NOT due to quality issues.
KM95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:01 AM   #49
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM95 View Post
This is 100% true and it is NOT due to quality issues.
Please elaborate and state your source
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:20 AM   #50
cydesai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg9390 View Post
My AD tells me their watches come in batches, there are times a bunch of GMTs (Batman / Pepsi), then daytona, etc., so it may just be the cycle where GMTs (or Pepsi) are not coming in these batches.
I believe this is the real reason. They ship 100s of those across the country in one batch, but that batch could be once every 2-3 months, I’m guessing?

FWIW, asked a major chain yesterday and they confirmed that there is no such news from Rolex regarding production issues, and they are coming in their shipments as normally as past.
cydesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:22 AM   #51
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Even if AD's are receiving less BLRO's, it could simply be because that's what the wizard behind the curtain wants.

Human nature....

"I can't get a BLRO no matter how long I wait"

Either because:

1. I don't have the clout to get allocated one

or

2. Must be a manufacturing problem causing scarcity

"Clearly, it must be the latter"

Personally. I'm unabashedly in the number one category.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:25 AM   #52
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Just so people understand mass manufacturing, the Pepsi bezels are produced in huge batches. Hence the mki, mkii, mkiii and so on. If on the off chance there was some sort of production error, that could scale back production.

Why they'd be having this issues? I have no clue but it's not impossible.

I have been on this forum from years and seen completely unsubstantiated rumors and also many people claiming to have heard similar news and certain members of this forum throwing up a storm denying them.

Go back in history and look at mki vs mkii Pepsi and so on. There were people going to the grave that there was no such thing.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 02:10 AM   #53
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

This is my ‘My AD said’ but genuinely this IS what my AD told me when I recently purchased my WG GMT blue dial Pepsi.

He said he’d been out to Watches & Wonders and had various meeting/conversations etc with the Rolex people.

What they told him was that of all the bi colour ceramic bezels, the red/blue combo was by far the most difficult to perfect.

They have around an 85% fail rate - the main failure being the red ‘bleeding’ into the blue and leaving a fuzzy join & not straight & crisp as desired.

By comparison, they don’t seem to have the same issues with the blue/black or black/brown on the BLNR or CHNR.

At around £1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel, 85% failure is getting expensive even by Rolex standards.

What he said was that at ‘some point’ in the future (no time scales specified) Rolex top brass may say enough is enough if the fail rate can’t be improved & withdraw the red/blue altogether.

Don’t shoot he messenger,,,,,

Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 02:15 AM   #54
harvey
"TRF" Member

‘£1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel’

Your AD said that?
Old 23 May 2023, 02:26 AM   #55
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ten & 32 View Post
This is my ‘My AD said’ but genuinely this IS what my AD told me when I recently purchased my WG GMT blue dial Pepsi.

He said he’d been out to Watches & Wonders and had various meeting/conversations etc with the Rolex people.

What they told him was that of all the bi colour ceramic bezels, the red/blue combo was by far the most difficult to perfect.

They have around an 85% fail rate - the main failure being the red ‘bleeding’ into the blue and leaving a fuzzy join & not straight & crisp as desired.

By comparison, they don’t seem to have the same issues with the blue/black or black/brown on the BLNR or CHNR.

At around £1000 uk sterling manufacturing cost per bezel, 85% failure is getting expensive even by Rolex standards.

What he said was that at ‘some point’ in the future (no time scales specified) Rolex top brass may say enough is enough if the fail rate can’t be improved & withdraw the red/blue altogether.

Surely there’s no way that’s the production cost of the insert alone?!?! Maybe the full bezel on a WG model, but even that seems off. Or perhaps that’s the eventual cost of getting one good bezel (I.e. it costs 15k to produce 100, 85 off which don’t pass QC). But if each discarded bezel was a 1k waste then the actual cost of getting one good one would be almost 7k, which is more than wholesale price of the watch.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 02:33 AM   #56
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I’m not shooting the messenger but Rolex isn’t going to discontinue the OG colourway of the GMT.
Old 23 May 2023, 02:40 AM   #57
VerticalClutch
Banned

Quote:

My brain just can't accept this. I run a business; I can't possibly accept the idea that the Pepsi costs 10% more than the Batman to make, but Rolex charges the same for both models?

This just doesn't pass the smell test for me.
VerticalClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 03:02 AM   #58
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:

Not to question YOUR account, but rather the AD's information.
This has been circulating among the wis for quite some time now.
So much so, that I even took a shot in the dark on one of those 2023 W&W speculation threads, as I've been hearing this rumor time and again over the last couple of years. Just for the laughs.
Because of course, if I can have this kind of information, then I guess it isn't of any real value. Despite everyone's claim of having heard from someone who knew of someone who had the inside scoop...
Now with BLRO bezels nearing a 10 year run, I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex decided to discontinue the color scheme at some point, in favor of another one. But sure enough not because it's costlier or harder to mass produce. They've been churning them out by the 1000s regardless and every model / configuration becomes discontinued at some point.
Old 23 May 2023, 03:26 AM   #59
creepy neville
"TRF" Member

Watch: 136660 Deepsea
‘MY AD SAID’ is pretty much the weakest source you could have.

It is actually surprising the dribble they come out with - anyone who has spent a few hrs on the net researching a specific subject is generally far better informed than most (if not all) AD employees.
creepy neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 03:40 AM   #60
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minute_man View Post
Not to question YOUR account, but rather the AD's information.
This has been circulating among the wis for quite some time now.
So much so, that I even took a shot in the dark on one of those 2023 W&W speculation threads, as I've been hearing this rumor time and again over the last couple of years. Just for the laughs.
Because of course, if I can have this kind of information, then I guess it isn't of any real value. Despite everyone's claim of having heard from someone who knew of someone who had the inside scoop...
Now with BLRO bezels nearing a 10 year run, I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex decided to discontinue the color scheme at some point, in favor of another one. But sure enough not because it's costlier or harder to mass produce. They've been churning them out by the 1000s regardless and every model / configuration becomes discontinued at some point.
Has Rolex ever discontinued the Pepsi? I was under the impression it’s never been discontinued since it’s the OG colour way.