The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21 July 2024, 04:45 AM   #31
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Looks orig. to me, for what it is worth...
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
Old 21 July 2024, 05:05 AM   #32
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

Thank all of you for your thoughts as my father and I try to figure out what to do with this watch. My final questions for vintage watch officianados:

1. If we sell it now, would you fix it up first or sell it as is? As my father has been the possessor of the watch during most of its life, and because it occasionally still runs, we have little doubt it just needs a good servicing to get it running again. This will be its first servicing since produced in circa 1946 and bought by my grandfather in early 1947 to our knowledge.

2. If we keep it, would you fix it up first? It won’t be worn, just saved as money in the bank and something to look at occasionally. Someone here made the point that there are several people still alive who regularly work on these watches now who might not be around in a decade or two, so best to service it now and replace the organic oil with synthetic.

3. If we sell it, where would you do that? On this forum in the FS area? LoupeThis? Chronos24? An auction house? I do have one major auction house ready to take it on with a reasonable price range.
Old 22 July 2024, 04:12 PM   #33
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent P View Post
Thanks for that. The number’s position is at 6 o’clock and checking a few charts I believe your comment is correct. I also googled the watch face picture and it does appear to be a model 3372. If the model number is indicated anywhere, it does not appear on the outside of the watch but I imagine it would be inside the case. I don’t intend to open it up unless for servicing or sale and then by a pro.
The dial style is irrelevant to the reference number. That dial could've come in any number of watches using that movement.

The model is 3372
The serial is 448xxx
Old 25 July 2024, 03:02 PM   #34
Brent P
2024 Pledge Member

3372 Bubbleback

Unless someone offers $10K or more for this watch I am inclined to fix this up and keep it. Thanks
Old 25 July 2024, 10:35 PM   #35
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unless someone offers $10K or more for this watch I am inclined to fix this up and keep it. Thanks
Good idea!

I think $10k is a best scenario auction outcome. Then you pay 40% of that back to the house.
Old 25 July 2024, 10:36 PM   #36
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There is a specific forum for sales listings, and you need to be a pledge member, IIRC.