The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2006, 03:00 AM   #31
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by verolex
Dear all,

Thank you for welcoming me on this forum,
the name Verolex is made of 2 words Vero= true,real in spanish and Rolex :)
I would like to also thank you for your detailed answers for my questions,
However I have one more if you guys don't mind :)))
Trusting your AD...
Can you guys imagine the following situation:
A guy who works for an AD decides to make a little extra cash in his pocket
he buys 10-20 rolexes from the fake market (of course the excellent quality ones that are sold for $250) and sells it to customers for the regular price...
He can sell 20 watches in 3-4 months... If he sells the watches for approx $4000 he can make a jawdropping profit of $75k!!! Hmmm that sounds like a good profit in 3-4 months... Now our guy he made enough profit to say hello to his well profiting job and disappears in the "fog" The chance of getting cought is 0 coz he works for the AD and everyone trusts him...
The reason is I'm telling you guys this story because this is a VERY realistic scenery. The AD's are humans too... DO NOT TRUST ANYONE!!!

(Therefore "simplicity" is not always a good factor in an expensive watch)

With respect,
Verolex
Verolex - welcome to TRF.

With regards to the scenario you suggest, most people have many more things in life to worry about than if the person at their Rolex AD is secretly selling fakes. Although anything can happen (such as the situation you described) I think that it is safe to say this would be a rare thing indeed.

If you are so concerned, then I would suggest there are ways around this that do not require you to buy a complicated watch......such as taking your new purchase to the nearest RSC to verify it's authenticity.

I may be reading you wrong, but you seem to want to put Rolex down for their designs, for a reason that is not really valid if as a watch purchaser you know what you are doing. A Rolex is what it is, a simple, rugged watch.
Old 3 February 2006, 03:02 AM   #32
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Dear all,

Trusting your AD...
he buys 10-20 rolexes from the fake market (of course the excellent quality ones that are sold for $250) and sells it to customers for the regular price...
He can sell 20 watches in 3-4 months... If he sells the watches for approx $4000 he can make a jawdropping profit of $75k!!! Hmmm that sounds like a good profit in 3-4 months... Now our guy he made enough profit to say hello to his well profiting job and disappears in the "fog" The chance of getting cought is 0 coz he works for the AD and everyone trusts him...
The reason is I'm telling you guys this story because this is a VERY realistic scenery. The AD's are humans too... DO NOT TRUST ANYONE!!!

With respect,
Verolex
There is always the possibility that your scenario can occur, Verolex. But I would venture to say it is a rare occurrence. In the U.S., the customer would have recourse against the AD for committing fraud. The AD is responsible for the employee's actions.

Now, if it's the owner of the AD that is committing the fraud, you might have a problem collecting, but that's where the saying "sh*t happens" comes from. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to get compensated for a wrong doing.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 03:07 AM   #33
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Dear all,

Trusting your AD...

With respect,
Verolex

The scenario you speak of, although extremely unlikely, could play out involving any watch brand Omega, Breitling, Tag, Panerai etc. You seem to feel that a watches complications makes it impervious to replication. The fact is that there are a great many very complicated watches that are replicated. Most of the grade 1 swiss FAKES, which sell for up-wards of $750, use a swiss movement, thus enabling it to have a chronograph, moon phase, 24 hr hand and so on. Complications are no guarantee against replication.
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 03:09 AM   #34
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Dear all,

Trusting your AD...

With respect,
Verolex
Verolex,

You are a bit of a pessimist and do have an over-active imagination. The scenario you've described above is virtually impossible. I use the word "virtually" because by that I mean "impossible" for all practical purposes.

When a consignment of watches (all watches) come into the shop of an AD, each watch gets its own shop number. Each and every watch's numbering is supervised by a senior staff member. Each and every watch is catalogued and downloaded into their computer. Each and every watch then gets this special shop number written in hand behind the watch. This sticker is taken off at the time of sale. I should know this 'cause I've seen it like a million times and know about this first hand from the dealer himself.

It would, therefore, be virtually impossible for one "bad apple" in the shop to carry out any hanky-panky without being caught within a couple of days. Trust me...the scenario you described ever happening at a regular AD is total

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 3 February 2006 at 03:11 AM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 03:20 AM   #35
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Craig, well put.
Valid point also Verolex.
One of my clients had an experiense similar to that with a Lexus. New it was used, but not until she took it in for repairs on a minor ding,that the next Lexus dealership advised her, it was in a prior accident, from another province, repaired originally with NON Lexus parts....
BUT, I would think these incidents are few and far between.
It is for that reason I am not having a friend NOT pick me up a Rolex from his next trip to the Orient.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 03:24 AM   #36
MiamiRolex

I was also going to say the same thing. Why single out Rolex when that could happen to Cartier or Breitling customers??

Besides, every Rolex is registered to a certain AD. I have my receipt and papers documenting the fact tht I bought mine from Mayors here in Miami. If I were to find out that the Rolex I purchased was fake then I would have some sort or recourse........

I still dont understand why you single out Rolex when this can happen with any type of watch.

Last edited by MiamiRolex; 3 February 2006 at 02:24 PM..
MiamiRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 03:27 AM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRolex
I was also going to say the same thing. Why single out Rolex when that could happen to Cartier or Breitling customers??

Besides, every Rolex is registered to a certain AD. I have my receipt and papers documenting the fact tht I bought mine from Mayors here in Miami. If I were to find out that the Rolex I purchases was fake then I would have some sort or recourse........

I still dont understand why you single out Rolex when this can happen at any AD for just about any type of watch, Breitling included.
Right on, MR. In fact, if you write a letter to Rolex, Geneva, enclosing a photocopy of your warranty certificate, Rolex will not only be able to give you the exact date of manufacture, but also tell you when and to which dealer in which country that watch was sent.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 3 February 2006, 03:48 AM   #38
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
That holds little water with me, if I am gonna spend X amount of dollars, I need to get off my lazy (and I am lazy) arse and get the watch checked out. Friends are friends, but business and money are different.
Wanna buy a watch Daren?
Old 3 February 2006, 04:48 AM   #39
Atomic

Since when is the 'shine' of Rolex fading? Seems to me their prices keep going up and they sell every watch they make.

Doesn't sound like a fading brand to me.
Old 3 February 2006, 05:41 AM   #40
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Don't go there John!
Old 3 February 2006, 05:55 AM   #41
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Have you ever noticed when you walk past a watch shop. it's always the Rolex display that gets the most attention. Strange, isn't it?

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 07:33 AM   #42
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Since when is the 'shine' of Rolex fading? Seems to me their prices keep going up and they sell every watch they make.

Doesn't sound like a fading brand to me.
Man, you are some kind of Rolex snob, eh........

Old 3 February 2006, 07:36 AM   #43
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Man, you are some kind of Rolex snob, eh........

Let's hijack this thread
Old 3 February 2006, 08:03 AM   #44
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Let's hijack this thread
Leave it to the Dutchie to try to screw up a perfectly serious thread.

Ok. Do you want to start discussing Rolex snobs? That could apply to most people here, one Kiwi in particular being a primo example.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 08:31 AM   #45
Rackness
"TRF" Member

simple easy answer don't feed the troll.

all the best ,
Jason
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 09:39 AM   #46
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Leave it to the Dutchie to try to screw up a perfectly serious thread.
Let's face it, Ed, the good Doctor Hens is right - this thread outlived its useful life a few pages ago, when it started to loop. I'm surprised we've gone so long without hijacking it!

Now, about JJ's Rolex snobbery, a footnote I neglected to mention in his biography is how his job playing King Lear ended. Apparently, he and the director got into a spat about wardrobe, and JJ left in a huff:

Old 3 February 2006, 09:43 AM   #47
Tom

Ouch.....
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 09:48 AM   #48
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Old 3 February 2006, 12:01 PM   #49
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Is JJ the posterboy for the fake Rolex watch snob club?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 12:25 PM   #50
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken
Let's face it, Ed, the good Doctor Hens is right - this thread outlived its useful life a few pages ago, when it started to loop. I'm surprised we've gone so long without hijacking it!

Now, about JJ's Rolex snobbery, a footnote I neglected to mention in his biography is how his job playing King Lear ended. Apparently, he and the director got into a spat about wardrobe, and JJ left in a huff:

This thread got jacked.........
Old 3 February 2006, 12:38 PM   #51
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Is JJ the posterboy for the fake Rolex watch snob club?
Yeah, but somehow he didn't take to the fake's logo:

Old 3 February 2006, 12:40 PM   #52
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
This thread got jacked.........
Just another day at the nuthouse, Tom!
Old 3 February 2006, 04:13 PM   #53
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

You're on a roll, James. Keep it up, pal and no one, but no one, can ever displace you from the No.1 position!!

Old 3 February 2006, 07:28 PM   #54
President Rolex
Banned

you are new to this, there were just as many fakes 20 years ago as today!

The President
President Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2006, 08:12 PM   #55
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Very good James a genuine JJ tosser, and that scenario
about a AD with fake watches,would be 99.99999999999 impossible.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2006, 01:24 AM   #56
Tom

Quote:

Lovely.....just lovely...I love it
Old 16 February 2006, 08:44 PM   #57
Hobbes

I'm wondering why too!

Quote:
Dear all,

Today is the first time I visited this forum, and the first thing popped in my eye is the Ad on every page on the bottom:
Replica Watch Report...wooow... I was wondering why???... The reason is that there are waaaaay to many fake Rolexes around!! I have heard that every 2 rolexes out of 3 are fakes :(((
Is Rolex really so popular? why so many people like this extremely overpriced watch brand that has a soo simple design that can be copied even by the cheapest chinese workshop?
In the recent weeks and months I took the time to see what brand of watches people are wearing. I have seen many Rolexes originals and cheap but good quality fakes too.
As I see it owning a Rolex is not a prestige anymore... Maybe 15 - 20 years ago... but not anymore...

Just common sense why would I buy a watch that has sooo many fake versions around it just doesn't make sense... and pay a horrible high price for this mass produced brand...

You may ask what kind of watch I own... A few months ago I bought a Breitling Evolution (two toned version)...... The watch is well recognized and unique, I love it!!!
I have not seen any fakes around too.
My question for you dear Rolex experts:why so many people can still be blinded by the fading shine of the Rolex brand? what is the secret??

With respect,
Verolex

Hi everyone!

I'm new and I've been lurking and reading old threads for the past few days. I know this is an old post but I cant help but comment on this since I've been asking some of the same questions myself.

In fact, I'd like to add that there's a Japanese watch brand that makes watches that are dead on model mirror stylings of some of the more popular Oyster Professional models. So why get a Rolex when you can get a much more reasonably priced and strikingly similar looking Japanese Brand version that won't really qualify as a "fake". Just a Rolex wannabee, maybe, but not a fake.

So here's my dilemma and I hope some of the members can help me out:

Should I get the S/S Submariner Date or the S/S GMTll in black bezel?
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 09:46 PM   #58
AJC

I don't know about the Japanese manufacturer of very close copies but to me it is the whole experience of having the real thing.

The buying,the wearing,the resale and the big one,knowing.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2006, 10:20 PM   #59
robin

hi verolex
i hope you have stayed around the forum
thanks forthe thread as it is very useful
i am buying an echte rolex because of the history and beauty
of owning the real thing and my neighbour states that
waiters can spot the real thing from 20paces.
but the actual reason i will get an AD rolex is because i want
to have a rolex tattoo and it would look silly without a real
rolex on my wrist
cheers robin

Last edited by robin; 16 February 2006 at 10:21 PM..
robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2006, 12:15 AM   #60
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes
Hi everyone!

So here's my dilemma and I hope some of the members can help me out:

Should I get the S/S Submariner Date or the S/S GMTll in black bezel?
I think the best answer to your question is to try each one on one after the other and see which one smiles the most at you