The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 January 2024, 02:03 AM   #31
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5167 (traitor!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoTree1 View Post
Nice story and a fantastic watch! Congrats!

Thank you!
We’ve really enjoyed the watch journey, of course, and for obvious reasons.

The other comment about closing our AD is certainly worrisome, but they’ve just opened the Carmel Boutique a couple years ago, so I suspect that it won’t be first on their hit list. Indeed, Kern Jewelers will be opening up the new Patek Boutique in SF in just a few months.
(Despite closure of Shreve, who had been PP for >100yrs!)

So it makes you wonder “why” certain AD’s get closed?? Maybe there’s back stories that we don’t know? Maybe some selling behind the back door and green changing hands? I’m not sure but often there’s more to the story that might explain things, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 03:46 AM   #32
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Pretty soon we will have to fly to Switzerland to buy our watches
Geneva only serves locals now. Someone I know who'd been with the Geneva Salon for years was told to find her own local AD after the pandemic. Lucky for her that her family has a long history of jewelry purchases from an AD.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 07:43 AM   #33
mpytel
"TRF" Member

Bettridge in Aspen is no longer an AD

I bought my first Patek from Betterridge in Aspen in 2023 (I live in Denver.) Received an email today that Betteridge is no longer a Patek AD as of Jan 7th. Super sad. Spent two years farming relationship to get Calatrava Travel Time Pilot with hopes of something that had a complication around the corner.
mpytel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 08:16 AM   #34
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Geneva only serves locals now. Someone I know who'd been with the Geneva Salon for years was told to find her own local AD after the pandemic. Lucky for her that her family has a long history of jewelry purchases from an AD.
I know several PP collectors who are not « locals » but acquire their watches from the Salons.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:48 AM   #35
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpytel View Post
I bought my first Patek from Betterridge in Aspen in 2023 (I live in Denver.) Received an email today that Betteridge is no longer a Patek AD as of Jan 7th. Super sad. Spent two years farming relationship to get Calatrava Travel Time Pilot with hopes of something that had a complication around the corner.
On the plus side, you got a watch you hopefully like.

On the minus side you’re back to zero.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 11:39 AM   #36
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
I know several PP collectors who are not « locals » but acquire their watches from the Salons.
How *big* is their collection? I am sure if they have already have many application pieces through the Geneva Salon, there will be exceptions.
Old 5 January 2024, 02:10 PM   #37
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeDweller View Post

(I know: …. Pictures, or it didn’t happen!)

Huge congrats!!!!
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 05:23 PM   #38
Phlippe
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpytel View Post
Not a surprise with Betteridge sale to WOS back in the fall of 2019 at the watch market peak. I was recently told at a different WOS location that WOS has gone to a company wide wait list so if you put your name down for a Rolex at two locations you can be black listed. Betteridge also use to sell JLC but they lost that brand earlier this year too. It doesn’t surprise me to hear Patek Philippe pulled out of the Aspen store. Sorry you lost your source.
Phlippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 07:27 PM   #39
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How *big* is their collection? I am sure if they have already have many application pieces through the Geneva Salon, there will be exceptions.
In 2019 they told me they serve locals plus people flying in on their own jets from around the world. No luck. I had arrived on Lufthansa.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 09:31 PM   #40
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
In 2019 they told me they serve locals plus people flying in on their own jets from around the world. No luck. I had arrived on Lufthansa.
Are you serious about the jet part?
Old 6 January 2024, 04:41 AM   #41
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you serious about the jet part?
It’s a thing trust me. My AD showed me one of the first 5811 and said I couldn’t get it because the customer witch it was for, couldn’t land his private jet because of fog.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 05:29 AM   #42
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
It’s a thing trust me. My AD showed me one of the first 5811 and said I couldn’t get it because the customer witch it was for, couldn’t land his private jet because of fog.
Is this the AD or the Geneva Salon? I was told Salon only serves local but not sure for ADs.
Old 7 January 2024, 05:33 AM   #43
scurfa
"TRF" Member

If you fit the profile you won’t have any problem buying.
Old 8 January 2024, 09:08 AM   #44
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
Yeah on another thread we talked about this. It does seem crazy that some clients are spending upwards of 1m USD then being told their AD has lost relationship with Patek. There is no invitation to contact x AD to continue “watch journey with Patek” or welcome to list some pieces you’d like and come to Geneva perhaps etc etc even for these vip clients. No thank you for your business here are some options.. Would that happen if you were a big client with car companies? Hermes? I don’t know. It certainly is off putting for former customers to even bother to start with Patek again.

I talked to HSWA rep at a Patek event and trust me if you spent $1m they will take care of you. Of course if you bought two Pateks they don’t care but if Patek HQ knows you you will be fine

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 09:10 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Awesome congratulations!!!

Old 8 January 2024, 09:13 AM   #46
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
It’s a huge own goal in my opinion and idea dreamt up in the high times, it will backfire in the dry times.

I’ve lost my local AD and have come to the conclusion that I won’t be buying another new Patek, no contact from Patek to say thank you for being a customer your local dealer has gone here is your new contact for sales and servicing in another area.

I was invited to a Breitling event a few weeks ago and that’s a brand I’ve never looked at before, it made me realise how important it is to have a shop nearby, I really appreciated that night and took great interest in their range.

Ok you are right but jeez breitling really ?!?! Let’s be honest Patek can sell their 65k watches in china and India alone probably and they barely have any point of sales in that region. They made it clear that they are a watch maker that and not a retail company - maybe it will backfire but I highly doubt it frankly

Old 8 January 2024, 05:51 PM   #47
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Ok you are right but jeez breitling really ?!?! Let’s be honest Patek can sell their 65k watches in china and India alone probably and they barely have any point of sales in that region. They made it clear that they are a watch maker that and not a retail company - maybe it will backfire but I highly doubt it frankly

I was using Breitling as an example, a local dealer holding events can create interest and if you don’t have one the interest goes, I’m sure Patek can sell all their watches at the minute.

Old 9 January 2024, 02:52 AM   #48
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5167 (traitor!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Awesome congratulations!!!

Thank you, Robert!
Hope you’re doing well.

Biggest problem is that I don’t wear this very often…. Kinda afraid to get it used. When I want to steep up a little, I wear the 5167, and swap out the straps and having fun. BUT, there’s few events that I feel the 5811 is “the right watch” for the day.
(It’s a first world problem!).

See you soon!

SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 04:39 AM   #49
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s a huge own goal in my opinion and idea dreamt up in the high times, it will backfire in the dry times.

I’ve lost my local AD and have come to the conclusion that I won’t be buying another new Patek, no contact from Patek to say thank you for being a customer your local dealer has gone here is your new contact for sales and servicing in another area.

I was invited to a Breitling event a few weeks ago and that’s a brand I’ve never looked at before, it made me realise how important it is to have a shop nearby, I really appreciated that night and took great interest in their range.
Same boat here. My long term AD is expecting to find out if he is losing his dealership soon and if indeed he is, I think my Patek journey will end. I had a long talk with him and it seems like Patek is expecting AD to invest in standalone boutique in a high end shopping district. Even though he just remodeled and got a store-in-store set up just two years ago. He thinks that Patek feels that his store location is not lavish enough.
Old 9 January 2024, 09:15 AM   #50
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, Robert!
Hope you’re doing well.

Biggest problem is that I don’t wear this very often…. Kinda afraid to get it used. When I want to steep up a little, I wear the 5167, and swap out the straps and having fun. BUT, there’s few events that I feel the 5811 is “the right watch” for the day.
(It’s a first world problem!).

See you soon!

Happy New Year - yes definitely a first world
Problem;) enjoy !!! It’s definitely a Banger !!!

Old 9 January 2024, 09:18 AM   #51
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was using Breitling as an example, a local dealer holding events can create interest and if you don’t have one the interest goes, I’m sure Patek can sell all their watches at the minute.

Makes sense you have a good point !!! Local events definitely can make a difference but probably more important for less hot watch companies

Old 19 January 2024, 04:14 AM   #52
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Anyone knows when will the ADs find out if they will be cut this year?
Old 19 January 2024, 09:35 AM   #53
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It is difficult to explain, but try to think about these collectors as people who can buy ten PP GC in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I cannot say whether the jet is the decisive criterion, but, yes, there are « non-local » clients flying on their jets to collect a timepiece or several, for that matter.

Quote:
Is this the AD or the Geneva Salon? I was told Salon only serves local but not sure for ADs.
All the three Salons sell « coveted » timepieces to « non-locals ».

Quote:
If you fit the profile you won’t have any problem buying.
This is partly true for some timepieces, but the right introduction matters more.
Old 21 January 2024, 04:18 PM   #54
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
It is difficult to explain, but try to think about these collectors as people who can buy ten PP GC in one day.

I cannot say whether the jet is the decisive criterion, but, yes, there are « non-local » clients flying on their jets to collect a timepiece or several, for that matter.

All the three Salons sell « coveted » timepieces to « non-locals ».

This is partly true for some timepieces, but the right introduction matters more.
The first point is extremely exaggerated, who buys 10 GC in one shot. This 100% would raise eyebrows and i would be very surprised if Patek Salons agree to sell that many signature watches to one person unless this person is super famous or well connected / grey dealer. Of course Patek is in the business of selling watches and anything is possible but I highly doubt things would go down this way. Anyway if that's the case, and we know Patek doesn't make THAT many GCs, then it means that Patek would sell hard to get models to people who can't get GCs because of these big whales - even better! (if what you say is really true).
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 07:35 PM   #55
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
The first point is extremely exaggerated, who buys 10 GC in one shot. This 100% would raise eyebrows and i would be very surprised if Patek Salons agree to sell that many signature watches to one person unless this person is super famous or well connected / grey dealer. Of course Patek is in the business of selling watches and anything is possible but I highly doubt things would go down this way. Anyway if that's the case, and we know Patek doesn't make THAT many GCs, then it means that Patek would sell hard to get models to people who can't get GCs because of these big whales - even better! (if what you say is really true).
PP has not always been the hottest watch brand.

All GC are neither « signature pieces », if by that you are referring to « allocation pieces », nor historically « hard to get models ».

The collectors I mention have not started to call themselves this way in the last seven years. They have been loyal to PP for decades.

If the « 10 GC » image is uncomfortable, let’s say that these collectors have « pièces uniques » in their collections and PP does not limit their contacts to one visit of the Manufacture per year.

They also sometimes fly with their jets to get their timepiece.

Finally, I do not think that they are « whales ».
Old 25 January 2024, 12:37 AM   #56
russ86
"TRF" Member

A numbers are only going to get smaller and smaller
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 05:20 PM   #57
Aviela.W
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great story, nice watch!
Aviela.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 06:07 PM   #58
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Thats the essence of the flippers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Pretty soon we will have to fly to Switzerland to buy our watches
They are here at your service :-)
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2024, 06:16 AM   #59
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Just got the sad news that my AD is no longer. And now only 296 ADs are left globally. Well, time to move on and say bye to the brand…
Old 3 February 2024, 07:50 AM   #60
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Just got the sad news that my AD is no longer. And now only 296 ADs are left globally. Well, time to move on and say bye to the brand…

That's just terrible! Sorry to hear.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote