The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 5 November 2020, 01:35 AM   #31
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Used prices are going up... ALS, IMHO, is the most honest brand out there when you compare what you get for the price. Very little hype. Let's keep it that way.
x2
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 02:46 AM   #32
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Something to consider, FPJ's are fragile. If you wear your watches a lot give that some consideration.

I have one that has never told the correct time. They to me are more art than function.

ALS is like a Porsche...it will never break, and gorgeous in it's mechanical genius.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 04:09 AM   #33
jpwv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post

Lange remains a great value proposition to be had pre-owned. I personally think it will stay like this in the short-term but would love to be wrong as it deserves an elite status.
Any idea what a great price for a Datograph would be?
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 04:23 AM   #34
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Something to consider, FPJ's are fragile. If you wear your watches a lot give that some consideration.

I have one that has never told the correct time. They to me are more art than function.

ALS is like a Porsche...it will never break, and gorgeous in it's mechanical genius.
Wow, that's without interesting. Can you share more details with us?

Inviato dal mio SM-T719 utilizzando Tapatalk
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 04:56 AM   #35
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Used prices have been going up for a while now. Personally I hope they stay down until I can get a well priced datograph lol
It's like you're in my head
Old 5 November 2020, 05:09 AM   #36
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
no
simple answer but no.

Would have been different if they were independent but belonging to Richemont .. forget about it
You say that, but one of the reasons I bought my Lange 1 Moonphase at the time was because of the Richemont ownership. It's all well and good idolising independents (I do as well), but when you're putting a large amount of money down and you're not fickle with your watches, you want to know the brand will still be around ten, twenty or fifty years from now to service that beautiful movement of complicated, intricate and tiny parts. Remember: most indies are not PP or Rolex.

I'm still very sore at Lange because they spurned me for an Odysseus (I haven't actually been able to bring myself to wear my L1M since). I would never sell it (that's not who I am), but I would probably not buy another.

Perhaps Lange no longer need long-standing loyal customers for it is true that they manufacture incredible, beautiful watches, and the world seems to be catching on.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 09:03 AM   #37
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwv View Post
Any idea what a great price for a Datograph would be?
Not really sure to be honest but my guess is for a 41mm piece anywhere south of £40k is not too bad. That movement is the best in the business for me
ansharma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2020, 08:21 PM   #38
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
You say that, but one of the reasons I bought my Lange 1 Moonphase at the time was because of the Richemont ownership. It's all well and good idolising independents (I do as well), but when you're putting a large amount of money down and you're not fickle with your watches, you want to know the brand will still be around ten, twenty or fifty years from now to service that beautiful movement of complicated, intricate and tiny parts. Remember: most indies are not PP or Rolex.

I'm still very sore at Lange because they spurned me for an Odysseus (I haven't actually been able to bring myself to wear my L1M since). I would never sell it (that's not who I am), but I would probably not buy another.

Perhaps Lange no longer need long-standing loyal customers for it is true that they manufacture incredible, beautiful watches, and the world seems to be catching on.
Well, without Richemont Lange would not exist at all. The DDR/pre WW2 Lange wasn’t exactly on par with Richemont Lange.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 12:36 AM   #39
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Well, without Richemont Lange would not exist at all. The DDR/pre WW2 Lange wasn’t exactly on par with Richemont Lange.
It's interesting how some people (not you) seem to feel a manufacturer 'must' be independent. That's sad, as there are MANY timepiece manufacturers who are part of... something. What would happen if people found out that Rolex helps PP, or that PP does not really create all the parts within their products. Am all for independents, yet Ming uses other brand's parts / movements.

Perhaps we should be grateful as their short-sighted prejudices makes available more great timepieces for us true enthusiasts

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 01:08 AM   #40
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I believe like in any business there are plusses to independents and plusses to corporate ownership.

Both also have their minuses.

To me, I choose the product I like best on a case by case basis.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 01:41 AM   #41
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
It would be more accurate to say that without Blümlein/VDO/Mannesmann/IWC there would be no modern Lange.

The most important moves where made before Lange became part of the Richemont group but from what I hear, they are treating ALS quite good.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2020, 02:23 AM   #42
EEpro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
It's interesting how some people (not you) seem to feel a manufacturer 'must' be independent. That's sad, as there are MANY timepiece manufacturers who are part of... something. What would happen if people found out that Rolex helps PP, or that PP does not really create all the parts within their products. Am all for independents, yet Ming uses other brand's parts / movements.

Perhaps we should be grateful as their short-sighted prejudices makes available more great timepieces for us true enthusiasts

So true.

As a design engineer who worked nearly 20 years for a Fortune 100 company that merged and bought its way to being a top 10 contractor I can assure you that the bigger the company got the more process we had to follow and the product quality did not suffer.

Products took longer to create and required more documentation and the cost went up but the quality was more consistent. So to those who are concerned about the parent company I doubt Richmont is up in Lange's design teams' knickers telling them to make the watches cheaper so they can squeeze out another 5%. That's an overplayed automaker engineering cliche and I've never seen it applied to niche hardware where the customer wants the best.
Old 6 November 2020, 06:13 AM   #43
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great post EEpro and 100% agree as have friends who sold their company to larger ones and quality, R&D, etc rose to produce not just higher quality products, it also allows the means for deep development that might not have been possible without the additional financing that a larger company brings.

Think of LVMH who have many brands. They can share knowledge, etc with all of their engineers and producers, which in turn benefits all brands they own. Bvlgari is a good example as they have received ~50 awards and have produced some incredible mechanical movements.

Of course not all independents are equal, as some seem to abuse their clients with outdated / old movements in new <cough> limited edition </cough> models yet are very high priced, come with a very short two-year warranty, and looooong service times.

Meanwhile some independents value their clients.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote