The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: is rolex a status symbol watch
yes 120 87.59%
no 17 12.41%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8 July 2007, 11:51 PM   #31
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Status symbol?

But only we know that our watch is real - surely the idea of a status symbol is to have something that others do not [or at least 'seem' not to] possess. Although maybe it is nice to wear the real version to which others aspire and want to wear fakes of?

I used to worry about wearing my Rolex in case people would think i was some rich git and mug me.....now i realise that everyone thinks its a fake. I drive a battered car, dress appallingly and have no money - but hey... my Sub is real!

For me a real status symbol watch would be something like a Richard Millie, Dornbluth, Lange etc.

But i do take the point that if something is faked a lot it is because others see it as desirable. Therefore it is successful as a symbol.

Hang on a minute....I'm not sure i know what I'm talking about

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2007, 11:56 PM   #32
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
By my definition of status....

Buy things we dont need....
With money we dont have....
To impress people we dont like.....

It is not status symbol for me by that definition
Old 9 July 2007, 12:00 AM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well I believe today most don't wear a watch they wear a brand except for the WIS type world.And if you done a experiment took 100 non WIS people off the street.And showed the them say a £3000 Rolex and say a £30000 Patek. IMO about 90% would choose the Rolex,such is the power of the Rolex name.And today say in a ten years period Rolex has chured out say 8 million plus watches there sure is a lot of them is this world today.They are not so exclusive or prestigious as say 25 years ago.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 12:02 AM   #34
nwg

It is a status symbol to many but not to me. I all my years of wearing one, not a single person has noticed what it is. Perhaps they think I am wearing a fake, or soemthing but I don't care. Out of all the things I own, it is my favourite and most prised possession.

Quote:
drive a battered car, dress appallingly and have no money - but hey... my Sub is real!
Sounds like me. Owning a nice car is something that just doesn't appeal to me. I dress fairly cheap (can't stand any of this designer clothes stuff) but I like a nice watch.
nwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 12:03 AM   #35
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
By my definition of status....

Buy things we dont need....
With money we dont have....
To impress people we dont like.....

It is not status symbol for me by that definition
Well, if you don't need your Rollies, send them to me!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 12:12 AM   #36
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Any thing could be a status symbol, depends on which part of the world you live in.

In a 3rd world country, having a heard of goat for example could be living the life of luxury.

Rolex for me is not a status symbol.
Old 9 July 2007, 12:22 AM   #37
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Any thing could be a status symbol, depends on which part of the world you live in.

In a 3rd world country, having a heard of goat for example could be living the life of luxury.

Rolex for me is not a status symbol.
Quite true. In Auckland, having sheep is a status symbol

Old 9 July 2007, 12:33 AM   #38
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedweller View Post
No, status is having a sheep that has never heard of JJ.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 12:38 AM   #39
paypalbid

Maybe long ago Rolex can be percieved as status symbol. Nowadays it is the car you drive and the clothes you wear because those things cost a whole lot more than a Rolex. I can dress like crap and still afford a Rolex but I can't really wear a Hugo Boss suit and drive a Mercedes SL600 cause you are looking at SIX FIGURES.
paypalbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 01:19 AM   #40
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
You bet its s status symbol and kinda ridiculous to think otherwise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg true love.jpg (45.7 KB, 90 views)
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 01:19 AM   #41
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
LOL, I didn't want to say sheep since I didn't want to hijack the thread.

Quote:
Old 9 July 2007, 02:44 AM   #42
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
The fact its seen as a status symbol by some people totally puts me off owning one (well I do own 1 but its a pretty low key model) I wore the GMT for a few weeks, had at least 10 people point and say 'is that real' or 'geez we pay you too much' blah blah blah hated it... hated it hated it. The Panerai draws no attention at all.... occasionally I'll notice someone staring at my wrist but usually they dont comment.

Which peeves me off as I'd love a Sub no-date and I just hope it doesnt get the same bullcrap reactions off people that the pepsi gmt gave....

I didnt vote by the way... i'd like another field.. 'i wish it wasnt a status symbol'
Amanda, have no fear with the Sub non date. No one will notice or make comment......I've worn mine for 3 months now and only one person so far has realised it was a Rolex........Stealth all the way
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 03:03 AM   #43
watchfreak2003
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I agree, to some extent it it. But I do not wear one for status or to show off, I simply think that they are the best looking watches money can buy. I love the looks and quality.

DITTO
watchfreak2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 03:07 AM   #44
John685
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG DD
Yes, I believe it's a status symbol, but that can vary depending on who you ask. IMO, it's probably more of a staus symbol to those that don't have one and they attach more importance or monetary value to it than the actual owner.

We have become such a plastic (throw away) society and it's nice to find something that has history and value. It's made to last and can be passed on to future generations. I view it as an item that expresses my values regarding quality, craftsmanship and yes even a work of art.

John

There is never enough time, unless you're serving it.

His:
TT DJ (116233) YG/Oyster/White dial, romans
TT DJ (116231) RG/Jubilee/Black dial, romans
Universal Geneve Polerouter Sub
Hers:
TT LDJ (179171) RG/Jubilee/BMOP dial, romans
John685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 03:43 AM   #45
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
No, status is having a sheep that has never heard of JJ.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:48 AM   #46
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwg View Post

Sounds like me. Owning a nice car is something that just doesn't appeal to me. I dress fairly cheap (can't stand any of this designer clothes stuff) but I like a nice watch.
This is a reason for me to be at this forum, cause ROLEX wathches are always at rich people who wear best,drive best,eat,dine,rest at best places in world but this forum is just full with Rolex lovers from everywhere middle class and also high society too but they are different too. It is just same as my fist BMW forum meeting I first thought that all members are so rich and go to expensive places and act cocky to me but it wasnt true even with over 70K euro priced BMWs we all shared same atmosphere and ate same food and shared same pleasure and forums are more nice about a material if this expensive materials will not just stay at focus when it turns to friendships it's more good but I'm so sad that I live so far from valuable members here and no meetings.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 05:58 AM   #47
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Yeah, the good thing about this forum is that you can have a LONG "conversation" about your passion for Rolex. When I meet a Rolex owner on the street, I would like to talk to him about his watch, but sometimes I am embarrassed to do so. And the times I have done it, there is really not much conversation, it is more like me questioning:

"WOW! Is that a GMT 16750 you are wearing"?

Answer: "Dunno, it is just a GMT, I guess."

Most Rolex wearers don't give a damn what kind of model they are wearing, as long as it just carries the name "ROLEX".

Old 9 July 2007, 06:13 AM   #48
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
Quote:
Yeah, the good thing about this forum is that you can have a LONG "conversation" about your passion for Rolex. When I meet a Rolex owner on the street, I would like to talk to him about his watch, but sometimes I am embarrassed to do so. And the times I have done it, there is really not much conversation, it is more like me questioning:

"WOW! Is that a GMT 16750 you are wearing"?

Answer: "Dunno, it is just a GMT, I guess."

Most Rolex wearers don't give a damn what kind of model they are wearing, as long as it just carries the name "ROLEX".
It has a reason the person who wear ROLEX probably bought it to have an expensive watch but most of the members here buy it cause of just to buy a ROLEX with the ROLEX soul most of the members have lots of knowledge here about ROLEXes as a Oysterworld.de dictionary but even that guy will not care and know what you talk about ROLEX. That's why we are here to share knowledge ideas and pleasure but I say that when this materials pleasure will turn to friendships with Non-Rolex topics and if there could me meetings it would be better and more realistic rather than just online.
Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:32 AM   #49
Omar_Jaramillo

A Roelx is definitely a status symbol, I am from Mexico, some people there make $50 dollars A WEEK! thats what mostly everyone here blows their noses with. Me having a $8,000 TT Blue SuB over there most people either admire you or are afraid of you
Omar_Jaramillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:47 AM   #50
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Yes and No, to me it used to be when I was young.
I like it but I don't get impressed by others wearing it.

I mean its less expensive than a new Honda Civic, that alone suggests that pretty much anyone can afford one if they want to get it.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 06:59 AM   #51
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
It's definitely perceived as one, regardless if that motivated an individual's purchase or not.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 10:30 AM   #52
supermarz
"TRF" Member

i think anything that you wear even clothes most of the times can be a status symbol but watches certainly perceived as a definite status symbol just like cars. however, for many of us here who take their rolexes more seriously than the average chap, is probably more about the appreciation in an excellent watch making rather than status....
correct me if im wrong ...but im pretty sure im quite spot on
supermarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 10:48 AM   #53
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Status is status;

Whether it is your status as a connoisseur of fine time pieces:

Your status as an admirer of mechanical watches;

Your standing in the community:

Your status with your banker:

Your status among your peers:

...It all comes together in your walk, talk, and wear.

A rolex on our wrist is a reflection of one, or all of these.

Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 01:02 PM   #54
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Vintage Rolex might have started out as tool watches but modern Rolex watches are status symbol for sure. Every wealthy friends who I personally know spend their money very wisely, they calculate their spending to the nearest dollars (the richer you're the cheaper you're that's no kidding) and they just don't buy a $10,000 Rolex or a $120,000 Benz just to tell time or drive to work, they're status symbol of their wealth being. If I simply want a mechanical watch, a $100 Seiko diver will do just fine, it will take the same abuse as a Submariner, may not be as well made but almost as accurate, it doesn't requires a $500 service and more importantly doesn't cost $5,500.

That's my 2 cents.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 01:27 PM   #55
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Well, you can't tell me a person that walked into an AD purchase a $5000+ Sub LV and say you don't feel a Rolex is not a status symbol....those same people don't feel Rolex is a status symbol......i wonder
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 01:38 PM   #56
vh_bu98
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum YM
One of the reasons why I got a Rolex was because it's a status symbol. For me, it's part of the finer things in life. With that said, this forum has helped me develop the appreciation of the quality and history that makes a Rolex a Rolex.

And this maybe sad, but I was wearing my Tissot today since I haven't worn it for awhile and I wish I was wearing my Rolex.
vh_bu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 02:17 PM   #57
Bama
"TRF" Member

Of course it is a status symbol to most. It played a part in my purchase - not the most important part but I would be lying if I said I didn't think about it. I sometimes want people to notice my watch but not so I can show off necessarily. If someone asks me about the watch it gives me the opportunity to talk about Rolex in general, my model Rolex, or just watches in general, which I love to do. I appreciate the quality piece that is on my arm and the history of the watches. I really do but it is still a status symbol. I don't get too carried away with it though. The people who know me know how much money I earn and where I live so for a person like me I'm more likely to come off like some financially irresponsible person if I start bragging.
Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 03:10 PM   #58
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

No.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 04:24 PM   #59
Atomant
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton View Post
Just like to know what are your views as to if rolex is a status symbol watch

here in sg, the boss *mainly chinese* wears a rolex. it shows that they have 'made it' in terms of life. most of them wears the gold or gold with diamonds.

however, the younger generation now wear the sports models.

Hi Triton, speakin of gold models, I just saw a senior wearing a full gold men's model with a full diamond dial eatin away in a food court. Too bad I'm bad with rolex models esp the DD's and DJ's so I can't exactly name it.
Atomant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2007, 04:43 PM   #60
triton
"TRF" Member

my dad has a full gold. @ the twelve position, there is the day dial and @ the rest has got diamonds. he ask me to wear. i told him NO WAY. this model does not appeal to me.
triton is offline   Reply With Quote