The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Out of the three, which one do you like most
The Stainless steel model 138 53.91%
The platinum model 99 38.67%
The two tone model 19 7.42%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM   #31
APhound
"TRF" Member

I’ve been a fan since the launch and I’ve only gotten more excited about it. I’m expecting an early one. I would say the platinum is my number one, two tone is second and green is third. I’d be happy with any of them.
I like the platinum because I think it looks great, I think the dial layout is neat, and have they ever done a platinum nautilus or aquanaut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #32
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhound View Post
I’ve been a fan since the launch and I’ve only gotten more excited about it. I’m expecting an early one. I would say the platinum is my number one, two tone is second and green is third. I’d be happy with any of them.
I like the platinum because I think it looks great, I think the dial layout is neat, and have they ever done a platinum nautilus or aquanaut?

Sure there was a platinum 5711, actually two of them, the 40th anniversary one with diamonds and tombstone on the dial and the rare "standard" one which had never made it into the catalogue. There are also a few platinum 3700 out there and there was a platinum 3800 which shows up for sale quite regularly.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM   #33
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Well it’s his last vote as well

FWIW, I don’t get the dislike. I prefer the SS reference
The dislike is not about the watch itself.

It is about setting expectations for your first new model in 25 years sky high and then trying to sell a slightly more square Nautilus with a silly new name as a totally new watch and the best they managed to come up with after 4 years of work. SMH

Had they released the same watch simply as a new (square) Nautilus without all the build up and fanfare people would be more forgiving.

I would have found it interesting if they had launched the same square watch w/o the Nautilus ears, a new dial pattern, and possibly a new bracelet. But all they dared to do was making the Nautilus a little more square. Same brushed bezel, same ears, same dial, same bracelet, same round movement in the three handers.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:35 AM   #34
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Should have added a 4th option, none
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 AM   #35
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper801 View Post
Stupid poll, why not a 4th option: None, they’re all dreadful.

But I guess this brand is like Apple and its disciples

+1

It's the worst release ever - worse than the Code
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM   #36
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper801 View Post
Stupid poll, why not a 4th option: None, they’re all dreadful.

But I guess this brand is like Apple and its disciples
Were you at the Patek event yesterday held by your local AD, all 3 were on show.

My vote is for the Pt on a strap, prior to trying them on I was expecting to prefer the SS
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM   #37
petay993
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD MN21, BLRO
Looks just as tragic as I imagined on those 6 inch Insta wrists.

Very hard pass.
petay993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM   #38
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperolspritz View Post
+1

it's the worst release ever - worse than the code
+2
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #39
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Let’s keep in mind that the Royal Oak and Nautilus had similar reactions at launch (not to mention the “cheap” aquanaut)
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #40
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

none
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM   #41
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarForHire View Post
Honestly I like the design, and watch. Would have been cool if they made some changes to the bracelet though. My biggest drawback and why I will never own one is the size. The watch, much like many Patek’s is so elegant, but almost all their offerings lately are just too large for my personal taste.
This. I'm in the same boat, current sizes are just way too big! Also, waiting for FPJ to go down in size to 38mm. Oh well, at least it allows us to save the money in the meantime and while letting the hype subside.

They could have at least changed the bracelet design as to make it not seem like the Nautilus! The most unique out of the three would be 5822 and that would be my pick.

Last edited by westoque; Yesterday at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Adding context for the current poll.
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM   #42
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breizh View Post
Let’s keep in mind that the Royal Oak and Nautilus had similar reactions at launch (not to mention the “cheap” aquanaut)

It's been around 50 years since the Nautilus and Royal Oak were released, so I don't think it's a really appropriate comparison. For better or for worse, this is super reminiscent of the CODE 11.59 launch five years ago.

But within Patek, how about the release of the 5524? The latest 6007's? There have been a good number of recent Patek releases - with seemingly a lot more "new elements". I think both of these models were more appreciated at launch - and there is still a good amount of love for them. The only issue is that both trade below MSRP - but it should not be important!

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM   #43
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

I think if the watches were smaller they would be received much better. The price is also a huge drawback since it's being pitched as a "first watch" for many.

I love that they copied the big date from Lange as that has always been my favorite feature of the Lange watches. I hope they release more models with it.
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #44
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's a myth that the Royal Oak was a flop on release, surprisingly enough, one started by Gerald Genta.

https://tenpiecesofeight.com/2023/08...-in-the-1970s/
Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM   #45
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Sorry but I really like the 5822P :-)
Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM   #46
crod
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ OPTIMUM
NONE!! Most likely they will tweak them in the coming years and come out with better and nice versions, but these 3 initial models are NOT good and they are TOO expensive for their intended market (entry level, young collectors). At that price bracket you have a LOT more better options.
crod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #47
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
It's a myth that the Royal Oak was a flop on release, surprisingly enough, one started by Gerald Genta.

https://tenpiecesofeight.com/2023/08...-in-the-1970s/
My point was the status they enjoy is pretty recent.
You could get any of those 10 years ago pretty easily.
I remember when I purchase my aquanaut in 2002, I was told many times (and by one SA as well) that it was not a “real” patek…

Time will tell if it was a good call or not.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #48
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What makes this release so much worse, however, are the years of suspense fueled by Stern's statements in numerous interviews.

In retrospect, it was all complete nonsense considering the product that has now been delivered.

The images shown in the leaks were considered trolling by many as it seemed so utterly preposterous how such a company could misjudge its customer base so badly.

As if all of this wasn't bad enough, Stern is now taking it to the next level:

After reading his disturbing recent interview in Handelszeitung, all of a sudden you realize not only how this mess unfolded, but how this company is actually run.

You have to be a great optimist to gloss over the repercussions that his leadership will have on the future of Patek Philippe.
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #49
enthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
+1

It's the worst release ever - worse than the Code
+3

This is easily one of the worst product releases of a major company in decades.

Just read the comments under the reviews of the relevant watch blogs.

If that's not enough, take a look at the comments below PP's Instagram post for the release of the Cubitus.
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM   #50
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Wei chimes in: https://revolutionwatch.com/patek-philippe-cubitus/

"From my perspective, the Patek Philippe Cubitus is a very smart addition to Patek Philippe’s sports chic range of watches. It is at once spiritually aligned with the Nautilus and the Aquanaut, yet simultaneously totally distinct as a more aggressive, bolder and more modern timepiece."

"Stern addresses some of the salty commentary from social media’s armchair warriors, 'Today when a major brand launched something, you always have these kinds of comments. But most of these are not from our clients or our potential clients. And I guarantee you, of all the people saying something negative, 50 percent of them will come to us later after they’ve seen the watch in reality and ask if they can buy one.'”
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #51
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
[QUOTE=brandrea;13432117]Well it’s his last vote as well

Hope so!
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM   #52
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Wei chimes in: https://revolutionwatch.com/patek-philippe-cubitus/

"From my perspective, the Patek Philippe Cubitus is a very smart addition to Patek Philippe’s sports chic range of watches. It is at once spiritually aligned with the Nautilus and the Aquanaut, yet simultaneously totally distinct as a more aggressive, bolder and more modern timepiece."

"Stern addresses some of the salty commentary from social media’s armchair warriors, 'Today when a major brand launched something, you always have these kinds of comments. But most of these are not from our clients or our potential clients. And I guarantee you, of all the people saying something negative, 50 percent of them will come to us later after they’ve seen the watch in reality and ask if they can buy one.'”

I like him even more now.

brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM   #53
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

The middle one rocks, way way better than the unbalanced Nautilus version which is all lumps and bumps ..

I'd choose the new one over the Nautilus each and every time.
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote