The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 February 2024, 08:42 PM   #31
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowatch View Post
I guess I’m bias, but thank you for confirming I wasn’t being crazy. It certainly felt like that at times last weekend. The watch itself is fairly honest so I really don’t want to go searching for another honest example as they seem to tough to find unless I want to pay a massive premium.

I’ll need to try to get hold of the watchmaker again. Hopefully I can talk to him in person at the next watch event and discuss a plan/refund.

Under the bracelet like that I'd leave it alone and not use the guy again. You could get a laser weld quote off those pics and use it as basis for your refund etc.
Old 1 March 2024, 12:42 AM   #32
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Tokyo Speedy
I see you're in Portland Oregon! There is only 1 'reputable' watch maker in the Portland area, so if you're talking about him, I WILL admit he's really tough to get a hold of, he is a 1 man shop, so he doesn't do phone and only does email 1 day a week (on Fridays), and will sometimes take a week on top of that to respond due to workload.

So I wouldn't give up on being 'ghosted' by him yet.

That said, disregard if you're not working with the person I'm thinking of :)
ErichKeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 03:02 PM   #33
shadowatch
"TRF" Member

I’d rather not alter the case unless I have to. I would like to keep the case original until restoration is absolutely necessary. I’ll just live with it for now. It’s not bad just disappointing. I get that things happen in watchmaking. We’re all human but I just think transparency is required in this industry.

ErichKeane, we’re probably thinking of the same watchmaker. I get it when people are busy but in a service field, customer service is absolutely paramount and I don’t think a customer should feel ghosted in the first place. It’s been two weeks now so more than enough time to respond especially if he has time liking Instagram posts throughout that time. Again, just disappointed but as others have mentioned, I just won’t use him again. Not a big deal. Could be worse and that’s how I’ll have to frame things to move forward.
shadowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2024, 05:32 PM   #34
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Name and shame please, this is unacceptable
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2024, 01:35 AM   #35
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’d rather not alter the case unless I have to. I would like to keep the case original until restoration is absolutely necessary. I’ll just live with it for now. It’s not bad just disappointing. I get that things happen in watchmaking. We’re all human but I just think transparency is required in this industry.

ErichKeane, we’re probably thinking of the same watchmaker. I get it when people are busy but in a service field, customer service is absolutely paramount and I don’t think a customer should feel ghosted in the first place. It’s been two weeks now so more than enough time to respond especially if he has time liking Instagram posts throughout that time. Again, just disappointed but as others have mentioned, I just won’t use him again. Not a big deal. Could be worse and that’s how I’ll have to frame things to move forward.
Yeah, thats unfortunate. Sadly, small 1-man shops like that you are dealing with an iron-triangle (fast, well communicated, good). 2 weeks is quite a while even for him, but not unheard of.

In my case, I've got a Seamaster Chrono he has had since early December, and was set for a quick turn-around. Unfortunately it looks like there was an undocumented case redesign, so he needed to send it off to Omega for the rework (and he messaged me last week that it is on its way back to him).

So I haven't seen his work yet, just communicating. Unfortunately he's really the only watchmaker besides battery-swappers in the area. I hope he gets back to you and makes it right!
Old 2 March 2024, 09:20 AM   #36
shadowatch
"TRF" Member

I will not name the watchmaker. I don’t role like that as I always give people the benefit of the doubt.

ErichKeane, hope your experience is better than mine!
Old 7 March 2024, 05:51 AM   #37
shadowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s currently with a different watchmaker who works for an AD that is considered a RSC extension. I had the watch checked to see if it needed a service as the other watchmaker (the one that damaged the watch) said it needed a service asap. Unfortunately, that was also a lie as the current watchmaker said it’s running fine, just 7s/day fast. As a result, he offered to regulate it while waiting for the jubilee bracelet to come in. Im waiting for the jubilee to come in before picking it up as it’s a 1.5 hour drive from where I live.

I should have taken that picture before sending with the other watchmaker. I wasn’t so annoyed with it when it happened but seemingly am now without the watch. I’ll just have to live with the gashes as a reminder of my own stupid anxiety causing more problems when I should have just trusted the seller. I’ll post pictures next week when I have the watch.
The watchmaker did get back to me and apologized for the delayed response. Due to some personal issues (that I was aware of), he may have missed the text I sent. I should have followed up instead of thinking I was being ignored. He was kind enough to offer a tour of the equipment and facility and a refund while asking how I wanted this to be resolved. After discussing the damage between the lugs, they may have been there from the beginning without me noticing during my initial inspection. Without the pictures before service, it would be hard to know from just memory.

I would also like to retract my statement that the watchmaker lied about the need for a service. Saying that the opinion of one watchmaker over another is simply that, an opinion. It is not a watchmaker lying. I was in a state of disarray about a new watch and irrationally made a statement that may have or could damage the watchmaker's reputation. This was not my intent, but seemingly may have caused some damage due to emotionally posting about this online. I should have remembered that the watchmaker has done great work for me in the past (full-service, etc.) without any damage.

With all that said, please do not let my emotions affect your decision to use this watchmaker. Use this watchmaker with confidence and know that if there are any concerns, that he will make sure to alleviate them the best way possible.
Old 7 March 2024, 05:56 AM   #38
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watchmaker did get back to me and apologized for the delayed response. Due to some personal issues (that I was aware of), he may have missed the text I sent. I should have followed up instead of thinking I was being ignored. He was kind enough to offer a tour of the equipment and facility and a refund while asking how I wanted this to be resolved. After discussing the damage between the lugs, they may have been there from the beginning without me noticing during my initial inspection. Without the pictures before service, it would be hard to know from just memory.

I would also like to retract my statement that the watchmaker lied about the need for a service. Saying that the opinion of one watchmaker over another is simply that, an opinion. It is not a watchmaker lying. I was in a state of disarray about a new watch and irrationally made a statement that may have or could damage the watchmaker's reputation. This was not my intent, but seemingly may have caused some damage due to emotionally posting about this online. I should have remembered that the watchmaker has done great work for me in the past (full-service, etc.) without any damage.

With all that said, please do not let my emotions affect your decision to use this watchmaker. Use this watchmaker with confidence and know that if there are any concerns, that he will make sure to alleviate them the best way possible.
Glad to hear it is getting resolved! I sent him this thread hoping that it had just been 'lost' in his messages, so glad to hear that was all it is. Unfortunately, mediocre communication is what we have to deal with in this area if we don't want to ship for service.
Old 7 March 2024, 07:31 PM   #39
Little machines
"TRF" Member

You are totally correct ! That's not right ! Call this hack and have them pay someone else to fix it! Do not let them touch your watch again. Good luck!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 08:42 PM   #40
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Name and shame please, this is unacceptable
This!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 01:43 AM   #41
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

This is very upsetting. I am anal about my stuff. The only one who is allowed to scratch it is me!

My experience with watch repair is only to take to authorised dealers, even better, watch boutiques or to the original manufacturer. I am lucky, I live in London, so any Tudor or Rolex fixes goes to their headquarters in St James square. there service has been impeccable in the past.

I also always take pictures around the watch before handing it in. I had a bad experience with a boutique before, and they denied everything. Made out like I handed it to them with scratches, which I didn't.

I remember another AD (not Rolex) who sold me a watch. I went to have tea somewhere and examined the watch, and found a scratch. I took it back to the shop. they accused me of scratching it whilst wearing it, when it was only a few hours later in the original packaging. I stuck fast on this one, and eventually the manager replaced it.

I don't trust any AD implicitly. Many have assistants who really don't know how to handle watches, or any jewelerry. I have seen two watches on a tray "clinking together" before being shown to a customer. If this happens I walk straight out ....
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 02:14 AM   #42
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Hold on here - You just stated " the marks may have been there from the beginning without me noticing during my initial inspection. Without the pictures before service, it would be hard to know from just memory.

So this is a “Pre-existing Condition”

"it would be hard to know from just memory" ( I can't remember ? )

OMG I can't stop laughing.

You got everybody to grab their pitch forks and head for the watchmaker
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:37 AM   #43
egamos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
You know what's worse than damage done by a watchmaker? It's them not telling you about it, as if you're not going to notice.

The gouges are not too bad. I'd personally live with it, but I would ask for a refund of whatever you paid this hack of a watchmaker.
I agree with you, you should be refunded what ever you paid to the watchmaker, It sucks to see your watch come back with extra damages.
egamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:42 AM   #44
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Well, this is confusing. If the watchmaker offered a refund, it would seem he saw the damage, and knows it was from him. But, then you say, it may have been there before he authenticated it. Is he just such an honorable man, that he is taking responsibility, regardless of when the damage occurred? Sounds like a stand up guy, and a very reputable business owner.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 11:55 AM   #45
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Well, this is confusing. If the watchmaker offered a refund, it would seem he saw the damage, and knows it was from him. But, then you say, it may have been there before he authenticated it. Is he just such an honorable man, that he is taking responsibility, regardless of when the damage occurred? Sounds like a stand up guy, and a very reputable business owner.

Kat

My interactions with him have been positive, and he seems like a stand-up guy. I wouldn't be surprised if his position is, "I'm not positive I DIDN'T do this, and the customer is upset, so I'll refund him to keep him happy/my reputation". I've seen this in many industries, particularly ones where most of the cost is labor.

I DID send him an email to point him to this thread (as I'm actively discussing one of my watches coming out + 2 going into service), so I believe he just missed the original message.
Old 8 March 2024, 11:58 AM   #46
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichKeane View Post
My interactions with him have been positive, and he seems like a stand-up guy. I wouldn't be surprised if his position is, "I'm not positive I DIDN'T do this, and the customer is upset, so I'll refund him to keep him happy/my reputation". I've seen this in many industries, particularly ones where most of the cost is labor.

I DID send him an email to point him to this thread (as I'm actively discussing one of my watches coming out + 2 going into service), so I believe he just missed the original message.

After reading the whole thread, I’d send him my watches.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 06:50 PM   #47
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
OP should not be on a forum damaging businesses without cause.

Still a very funny watchmaker who needs to remove a bezel to check out a watch
Old 8 April 2024, 02:05 AM   #48
ErichKeane
"TRF" Member

As an update from me, I finally got my Seamaster 300M Chrono back from the same guy and had a great sit down/chat with him for an hour! He's a really nice guy with an incredible passion for watches.

MY watch ended up needing to go back to Omega for a case rework (part of why it took so long, apparently it is some sort of weird 'transitional' model), plus a second time when the watchmaker's waterless pressure-tester apparently went out of calibration (his was reading a leak past 300m but before the 10% 'extra' they put in), so he had sent it to Omega a 2nd time who figured out it is water tight.

The delay stinks, but I'd rather have it 'right' instead of fast. I handed him my Polar ExpII and Batman for service as well, but anticipate them to be an easier case :)

I chatted with him about THIS case, and he's confident that he didn't do this with a bezel removal tool (and gave OP the opportunity to come check out the process/tools and come to that conclusion himself!), he uses a plastic tool to remove the bezel.

As far as removing the bezel, he was doing more than just authentication, though he didn't fill me in on the tasks (other than state they were asked for).

Anyway, my Seamaster is back on my wrist in better mechanical shape than ever. Despite being ~20 years old, it is running sub-3 spd in every orientation on my timegrapher, and after 2 days, agrees with my quartz digital watch. I got new pushers and seals, so it is great to know that it will be water tight for everything I need!

1 other thing: he managed to sync the jumping minutes hand (on the chrono) perfectly, better than both my speedmasters and this watch before!