The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 August 2024, 05:03 AM   #31
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Deja vu
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 07:01 AM   #32
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Please keep putting this on your watches and cars. I love buying your second hand items in a flawless state. Nothing better.

Sent from my CPH2583 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 07:19 AM   #33
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
The scratches and swirls do bother me, but just not enough to use this.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 07:40 AM   #34
frank gama
"TRF" Member

The polished centre strip on clasp and the PCLs on the oyster bracelet do tend to scratch very easily.
Im quite happy with WatchShell, but you need steady hands and a loupe to get it right.
My due respects and apologies to the two-tone non-lovers and the Tool-watch guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1IMG_6108.jpg (76.4 KB, 209 views)
Old 11 August 2024, 08:00 AM   #35
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterfisher View Post

I do think totally different. Here are images of such protection skins (after 3 weeks wear daily) on a 100k watch. Looks disgusting (just my humble opinion).
Quote:
Definitely.

And tbh, as a vintage lover I would rather have a scratched watch than glueing those rubish on my watches ... It starts to peel off at the surroundings and opens further and further.

If your watch clasp looks like that after only a few weeks you are definitely using the wrong product. Again, look at my pic below. This is after a year on the wrist. And with regards to peeling, again, you are using the wrong product. After a year on mine no peeling whatsoever as you can see in the pic.

I think a lot of people that have had poor luck with these is because they are using a cheap inferior product or didn't take their time with the install. I simply can't stand how scratched up the center of a polished clasp gets (especially gold clasps). Yes, I'm anal about it. But I have no issues with a non polished clasp. Scratches on them don't bother me. I think many people here complaining about it either haven't tried it or they are using an inferior product. Or, they just don't care if their clasp gets scratched up. Which is fine. To each their own. But I sure do like the fact that my clasp looks like I just purchased it - and from a foot away you can't even tell the film is there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5257.1.jpg (204.2 KB, 205 views)
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 08:00 AM   #36
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I use it on the clasp of my TT Sub as I work all day sitting on a desk typing on a computer. Without protection, it'd be badly scratched up by now. I remove it when washing the watch and I apply a new one. Clasp looks new. The plastic tape is invisible, so why not.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 08:09 AM   #37
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
That plastic, might get scratched!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 09:22 AM   #38
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Old 11 August 2024, 09:32 AM   #39
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Can’t take anyone seriously who puts these watch condoms on, but to each their own.

Just not enjoying the product as it’s intended, particularly if the finishing is pristine (have you seen a RO with stickers? Looks disgusting). Can’t imagine anyone at Rolex SA or folks on Le Brassus working to hard to produce these fine pieces of art, just for folks to put this garbage on.

Also the gunk and dust/grime that develop is gross.

As with everything in life, moderation is key. It have some wrist awareness and you’ll be more than good
Old 11 August 2024, 09:47 AM   #40
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
I don't use any protection, those dings and scratches are just part of the rolex experience that you better learn to live with. those stickers also ruin the beauty of the rolexes, it's a shame.

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:54 AM   #41
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Oh boy...
Old 11 August 2024, 10:59 AM   #42
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I prefer to be careful yet know some scratches are going to happen. Can always be cleaned up at a future service. I did ask for the case back protection be left on one of my Daytona’s. It came off in a few months.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:00 AM   #43
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Not for any of my pieces but I would consider them, if I had a clasp in PM.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:23 AM   #44
NAUI1982

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Again, take a look at my post #9 above. That's what the center strip looks like after a year of wear. No scratches, no swirls, nothing (and as I stated above, I only do this for the center of polished clasps). From a foot away you can't even see it's there.

I get mine from Standingo Ultimate Watch Protection on eBay. He has templates for just about anything. I've ordered them for Datejust's, GMT's, Subs and Tudors. Always a perfect fit. And if he doesn't have a template for a watch you have, he will custom make it for you.

He uses military grade" Zagg® HD Clear Invisible Shield vinyl. And he's does this right here in the USA. I just ordered 4 center strips for my Tudor T-fit clasp (posished center) for only $30. Great guy, great to do business with.
I put these on as well, exactly as you describe and you cannot see it at all, just as you say. The nay sayers here haven’t ever tried it, or seen a watch with the protection. It’s amazing stuff!

Quote:

I do think totally different. Here are images of such protection skins (after 3 weeks wear daily) on a 100k watch. Looks disgusting (just my humble opinion).
I beat the shit out of my watches and the product I use for protective film NEVER looks like that. It’s self healing, you don’t see jack on the film…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Can’t take anyone seriously who puts these watch condoms on, but to each their own.

Also the gunk and dust/grime that develop is gross.

As with everything in life, moderation is key. It have some wrist awareness and you’ll be more than good
Can’t take us seriously?

So here’s what cracks me up. How many of you have an iPhone or Android? Do you have it in a case? Why? How many of you also put a screen protector on your iPhone? Tell the truth….

you’ll put a screen protector and a case around your 1500 iPhone, but you won’t put a $100 protective film on your $15,000+ watch? It’s the best investment ever for your watch, and you CANT SEE IT! You’ll need a put it right up to your face, inches from your nose to see it.

I say those that don’t protect their beautiful timepieces are the ones we can’t take seriously.

LOL!
I love this forum, you all rock…. Great Debate!
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:28 AM   #45
"TRF" Member

I prefer not to have little diapers on my watch
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:34 AM   #46
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

You beat me to it...

yessir69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:24 PM   #47
pc12
"TRF" Member

Film manufactured in China is usually of lower quality and has an orange peel effect, hence the readily noticeable nature. I’ve had better luck with FilmKingKorea (very popular in Japan and South Korea) and available in the States through his EBay store.

I’m all for wearing watches and enjoying them, but I don’t necessarily understand the macho obsession for proudly displaying beat up watches. Like you, I have my cars fully PPF’d and it makes the ownership experience more enjoyable. To each their own I suppose.
pc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:30 PM   #48
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
I do on any watch that has a polished center on the clasp. And I only do the polished center strip and associated polished pieces on the clasp clip. Can't even notice unless you get very close to it (as long as you are using a quality product and do a quality install). Without it, the polished center strip looks really bad really quickly. It's the part on the watch that gets the most wear so why not.
I do the same just to keep the shine longer!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:55 PM   #49
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

I've never understood this. Life is so short and worrying about scratches on a watch, scratches that nobody but you will ever notice seems insane to me. Just my opinion and to each their own.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:09 PM   #50
NAUI1982

Watch: GMT-Master II
Do you all put your phone in a case or use a screen protector on it?

Explain the diff?
NAUI1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:36 PM   #51
rolexnerd
"TRF" Member

For a cheap and easy solution, buy a clear mobile phone screen protector and cut to fit your clasp.
rolexnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:50 PM   #52
911cz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Interesting idea and I’m sure it can be done so well now considering what they can do with cars these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
911cz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 02:03 PM   #53
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAUI1982 View Post

Explain the diff?
Because the phone becomes nearly or completely unusable if the screen shatters, which can easily happen if you don’t use a case, a screen protector, or both. Also, a phone isn’t safely strapped to your wrist and will eventually fall from your hands, a table, or your pockets. Hope that answers your question.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 04:29 PM   #54
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I say those that don’t protect their beautiful timepieces are the ones we can’t take seriously.
bye:
If you’re actually insinuating that those who DO NOT put protection on their watches can’t be taken seriously… then you sound like a moron.

And it is logically inconsistent to think that having a phone case is akin to watch stickers. Use cases, utilization rate, general utility are totally different
Old 11 August 2024, 04:44 PM   #55
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Explain the diff?
No I don’t use a case or screen protector, but I don’t think these are comparable.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 05:11 PM   #56
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari-F430 View Post
I have never done this before, but I do have PPF on most of my cars and I know that protective film can be amazing as long as the quality is there.

I'm curious to hear what other watch owners who have done it or have thought about using protective film on the clasp to protect from scratches? Now I know that some have done the whole watch as I've seen them on Youtube, but that is definitely not for me.. just the clasp and preventing it from getting the normal scratches is what I am thinking of doing.

Any feedback would be great! This would be for a late model Submariner clasp FYI, if that matters.

Thanks!
I started using the 3M clear paint surface protecting vinyl film a few years ago. X002xnmfd is the product number I think it's the only number on the label. I love it. I have it on both my clasp and the bracelet link that the flip lock flips into when opening. It's so clear you don't even notice it unless you really look for it. I like the idea of using tweezers to apply it you have to be careful in measuring and cutting so that it fits perfectly and it sticks really well.
3M Clear Paint Surface Protection Vinyl Film (6 Inch x 60 Inch)
Sold by: VViViD Vinyl
Return and product support eligibility
$19.88 Purchased on Amazon

Last edited by daysky1; 11 August 2024 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Details
daysky1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 05:41 PM   #57
daysky1
"TRF" Member

oops, I keep duplicating, sorry.
Old 11 August 2024, 05:42 PM   #58
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I do on any watch that has a polished center on the clasp. And I only do the polished center strip and associated polished pieces on the clasp clip. Can't even notice unless you get very close to it (as long as you are using a quality product and do a quality install). Without it, the polished center strip looks really bad really quickly. It's the part on the watch that gets the most wear so why not.

Note: The attached pic is at a high magnification. From a foot away you can't even notice it.
I love it. I have it on both my clasp and the bracelet link that the flip lock flips into when opening. It's so clear you don't even notice it unless you really look for it. I like the idea of using tweezers to apply it you have to be careful in measuring and cutting so that it fits perfectly and it sticks really well.
3M Clear Paint Surface Protection Vinyl Film (6 Inch x 60 Inch)
Sold by: VViViD Vinyl
Return and product support eligibility
$19.88 Purchased on Amazon
Old 11 August 2024, 05:56 PM   #59
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
I cut a plastic film (those mobile protection skin)and use for the clas only. . Can’t imagine it’ll be useful or easy to do on any other parts of the watch.
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:54 PM   #60
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
Used to be very against, but a friend convinced me to try it and 1) surprisingly it is really not very visible, certainly not from a normal viewing distance 2) it does alleviate some mental worries about unconsciously dragging wrist across surfaces, laying the watch down on its side or back on hard surfaces, etc. 3) it has held up very well, despite lots of heavy rain and sweat these past few months 4) understandably, it won't be for everyone, to each their own. It is also very much a culture thing, so it seems, as the practice would be considered completely the norm by many (most?) people I've come across in SEA, but the complete opposite is true here in the States. Yet, interesting, the opposite is the case when it comes to exotic cars. PPF is the norm here, less so in SEA. Perhaps it's a case of early adoption phase for both cases.
kritameth is offline   Reply With Quote