The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2006, 06:49 AM   #31
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
As I've stated in a few posts, I have a patient that works for a well know jeweler in my area that has 3 large stores and is a Rolex AD. They move a LOT of Rolex's and each store has at least 3 full display cases of Rolex. On numerous occassions he's told me that they are NOT allowed to charge above list price for Rolex. He told me that's why although they have a few SS Daytona's in stock, they keep them in their vault for well known customers that they know will purchase the watch for "real" use and not simply purchase the watch to then turn around and sell it for a large profit.
If they were able to sell it above retail they would simply put the SS Daytona's in their display case and sell it for any price they wanted. So, I believe your friend got ripped off and may want to return to the dealer. Or it may be wise to first make a phonecall to Rolex and ask them their policy regarding AD's and pricing. It's always good to go in armed with the FACTS, because the last thing the AD wants is to jeopardize his dealership status with Rolex over a couple of thousand bucks. If Rolex tells your friend that the AD can't overcharge, and your friend's got a receipt then he's DEFINITELY in the driver's seat.
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 06:58 AM   #32
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
First off, if anybody wants to buy a LV at Cdn retail, let me know. My AD has 3 in stock (I think they have lost their appeal in Toronto) however for you American folk it might not be worth it since your dollar is so low. On the other hand if you are going to be paying over US retail (again due to Cdn dollar being strong and US being weak) at least you will be the first owner with papers in your name, makes a big diff for me if I am paying retail. If I were saving 25% or more I might consider not having papers in my name, but we all know thats not going to happen on a brand new LV or Daytona.

just my $0.02 and my weird opinion.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 07:58 AM   #33
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Come now Mark, my friend....so this poor bloke doles out $6,500 for an LV and you do consider it a rip off. So what about that other poor guy (or is it a lady) who forked out over $7,500 for a TT Blue Sub? Now wasn't that a complete rip off??
I think payinng over retail is a shame.

As for the TT sub, I agree 0% discount is harsh, but there are many out there who pay it. Why? Because IMHO Rolex is worth it!
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 08:01 AM   #34
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by subenvy
if i was going to get a sub lv i would just buy a ss/black sub and get a new green incert put in. cause theres about a year wait here in orlando. isnt that the only diff?? im not all knowing on the subs
As others have said... it's the maxi dial and the large minute hand that REALLY makes the difference. The green bezel hardly matters (and can look quite dark - even black in different lights). Just changing the bezel wouldn't work at all: the maxi dial is awesome - and even more fantastic in low light! The bright green glow from the maxi is just right for the bezel.

Besides that, it's getting hold of the genuine article which really matters. I waited nearly 2 years for my LV, which makes the wearing of it (constantly, these days) a real pleasure and well worth the wait : thumbsup:
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 01:36 PM   #35
coolburn
"TRF" Member

hey guys..i have a question. I paid 500 over list...but i got a brand new LV sub in two weeks...would you have taken the same offer to get a brand new LV sub? thanks guys...But I def do love my lv sub...i have no regrets about the purchase.
coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 04:50 PM   #36
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn
hey guys..i have a question. I paid 500 over list...but i got a brand new LV sub in two weeks...would you have taken the same offer to get a brand new LV sub? thanks guys...But I def do love my lv sub...i have no regrets about the purchase.
IMHO, 200 bucks over list is all it's REALLY worth. But with 500 bucks over list, you're not going to get any poorer, and seeing that you love it so much....what the heck....ENJOY IT TO THE FULLEST, my friend!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2006, 11:54 PM   #37
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
As others have said... it's the maxi dial and the large minute hand that REALLY makes the difference. The green bezel hardly matters (and can look quite dark - even black in different lights). Just changing the bezel wouldn't work at all: the maxi dial is awesome - and even more fantastic in low light! The bright green glow from the maxi is just right for the bezel.

Besides that, it's getting hold of the genuine article which really matters. I waited nearly 2 years for my LV, which makes the wearing of it (constantly, these days) a real pleasure and well worth the wait : thumbsup:
I agree I love the LV - i've only had mine a few days now (managed to get one without a wait! which reading this thread I know is hardly unheard of but still quite a rare occassion.
got it from a UK AD at std list without surcharge (even tho it was the new higher 2005+ price) very happy with it
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2006, 02:06 AM   #38
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4UK
I agree I love the LV - i've only had mine a few days now (managed to get one without a wait! which reading this thread I know is hardly unheard of but still quite a rare occassion.
got it from a UK AD at std list without surcharge (even tho it was the new higher 2005+ price) very happy with it
Well done on no wait... quite unusual in UK! To be honest, I think I could have bettered my wait of nearly 2 years by quite a bit if I'd have pushed - but I was waiting for "easy funds" as I don't like buying watches if there's anything else required - and the last year has been an expensive time with two boys at University and a house renovation going on

It's lovely to walk in to an AD with "Rolex savings" to spend (and full domestic approval )
Old 2 May 2006, 02:08 AM   #39
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolburn
As long as you are happy, that is all that matters mate. You are the one that spent your hard earned cash, enjoy it.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2006, 02:17 AM   #40
D4UK
Banned

Quote:
Well done on no wait... quite unusual in UK! To be honest, I think I could have bettered my wait of nearly 2 years by quite a bit if I'd have pushed - but I was waiting for "easy funds" as I don't like buying watches if there's anything else required - and the last year has been an expensive time with two boys at University and a house renovation going on

It's lovely to walk in to an AD with "Rolex savings" to spend (and full domestic approval )

yes tbh it was quite unexpected to get a call from the AD (hadn't put a depo down or anything)- but i'd registered my interest for the LV and a waiting list on an SS Daytona (which in the UK is still closed) and so even though this month was already very tight there was only 1 outcome to the phone call.
the watch only came into the country on the 26th so didn't sit around very long. (perhaps this is just a reflection that demand for the LV is tailing offa little)
Old 2 May 2006, 02:34 AM   #41
Islander

Quote:
yes tbh it was quite unexpected to get a call from the AD (hadn't put a depo down or anything)- but i'd registered my interest for the LV and a waiting list on an SS Daytona (which in the UK is still closed) and so even though this month was already very tight there was only 1 outcome to the phone call.
the watch only came into the country on the 26th so didn't sit around very long. (perhaps this is just a reflection that demand for the LV is tailing offa little)
I suppose it's reasonable to think that demand is tailing off a little, after the initial "must have" bow wave. I guess it will just settle down to normal Sub-Date demand in the end (a year or two yet?). A sign of the times is that an SS Sub-Date has been in the local AD's window for about 6 weeks now (and 10% off is readily offered). 3 years ago, you never saw one in a window in UK. Still haven't heard of discount on an LV here (other than a few quid, anyway)
Old 2 May 2006, 02:45 AM   #42
D4UK
Banned

yes that's true about the lack of LV discount - TBH i didn't even ask

TBH i've only ever heard of discounts on the Bi-Mets and YM's from the sports range.

got offered 6.5% from an AD on a YM about 3 weeks ago.

other UK Rolex news is that the brand is being withdrawn from 50 of Goldsmiths stores as they look to strengthen the brand by restricting the style of store that sells their products.
Old 2 May 2006, 02:50 AM   #43
Islander

Quote:
yes that's true about the lack of LV discount - TBH i didn't even ask

TBH i've only ever heard of discounts on the Bi-Mets and YM's from the sports range.

got offered 6.5% from an AD on a YM about 3 weeks ago.

other UK Rolex news is that the brand is being withdrawn from 50 of Goldsmiths stores as they look to strengthen the brand by restricting the style of store that sells their products.
My AD generally offers 10% on SS, 15%+ on Two tone and up to 30% on gold (was offered well over that on a YG Sub a few weeks ago!). Not SS Daytonas or LVs of course
Old 2 May 2006, 02:53 AM   #44
D4UK
Banned

maybe i should look at changing my AD
Old 2 May 2006, 03:27 AM   #45
Islander

Quote:
maybe i should look at changing my AD
A quick break in Cowes coming on?

There's worse places
Old 2 May 2006, 03:37 AM   #46
D4UK
Banned

Quote:
A quick break in Cowes coming on?

There's worse places
i'm sure there are.. but i'm all spent out for a little while now.. but i'll bear it in mind.
Old 2 May 2006, 07:25 AM   #47
Islander

Quote:
i'm sure there are.. but i'm all spent out for a little while now.. but i'll bear it in mind.
I understand (sounds familiar! ) You're welcome over here when you're ready for the next one
Old 25 May 2006, 04:57 AM   #48
GMTIIPilot

Watch: Rolex GMT II
A little good news. Heard back from my friend and after going back to the AD and mentioning he would inform Rolex of the overcharging, he was refunded $1000. A little closer to retail with tax.
GMTIIPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2006, 07:25 AM   #49
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Good to hear he got some $ back.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2006, 07:48 AM   #50
viper
"TRF" Member

glad to hear it. i paid $4875, & refused to pay .01 over retail.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote