The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2022, 01:22 AM   #31
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well can only speak for myself been on forum now since it started around 17 years ago, and in the hundreds of thousands of posts on forum a very very very very tiny amount of reports about water damage. Many years ago now, on a dive in the red sea had a glance at my SD at 25m.Shock horror my winding crown was fully unscrewed but did not worry as I was in charge of a group of divers I was guiding over the reef and they were far more important .But on return to surface watch was fine no water in watch or crystal moisture, and watch is still fine today almost 22 years later and still ticking strong.

Great story and lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 01:28 AM   #32
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
You should be covered by the warranty. Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:34 AM   #33
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I would have phoned them already. Actually, I would have phoned and taken it back to my AD, who has RSC facilities and is accredited to carry out warranty repairs up to a point.

OP is stuck on an oil rig until 5th Feb, and has said he’s going to call RSC.

Doubt he’s going to be able to get it there for a while yet.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 04:05 AM   #34
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Guy View Post
Hello everyone I purchased a brand new Rolex explorer 2 on the 7th of January this year.......I noticed last night that the crystal was full of little water droplets......
Just too clear there is no error on my part I've had Rolex's for years...... the crown has been screwed down tight since the day of purchase...... I've taken the watch everywhere with me running at the gym, in the shower, to work, it's never left my wrist.....I'm going to phone Rolex service center London and ask them to resolve the issue...... what's your thoughts Will Rolex fix the watch under it's 5 year guarantee....has anyone else had any issues similar to mine
Folks seem to dwell on the crown when that is seldom the most likely culprit.

If the crystal has been knocked water can get in under the crystal seal, and the back gasket has already been mentioned.

If it is a manufacturers issue, it will be repaired under warranty. If it is determined that damage has ocurred, you will pay for repairs; damage is not a warranty issue.

The only time that I have seen inside condensation is when skiing, or on very cold outdoor adventures, then going into a hot environment. It goes away in a few minutes and is pretty common for any watch.
Old 30 January 2022, 04:06 AM   #35
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
OP is stuck on an oil rig until 5th Feb, and has said he’s going to call RSC.

Doubt he’s going to be able to get it there for a while yet.
Oh sorry. I thought he said he was going to ring them. I would have rung them already. Maybe he meant he will ring them when he gets back? Seems a bit pointless asking a forum full of strangers what Rolex will do in this particular case, although it will be informative to hear what Rolex does when they see it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 04:17 AM   #36
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Take the watch off, leave it alone, and get it to the RSC asap once you are off the rig. Do not fiddle with the watch or attempt to rectify it yourself, you will invalidate the warranty.

Your watch will be a month old or thereabouts when it arrives at the RSC, I very much doubt that you will have any issue getting it fixed under warranty.

Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 04:37 AM   #37
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes, provided that you haven’t opened the back or fiddled with the bezel to remove/replace it.

That voids the warranty the OP was asking about. Of course your advice is good for watches not under warranty. I’ve dried out a few on a bed of uncooked rice in a low oven.

Yep. That’s what I was trying to think of… uncooked rice!

It’s a brand new watch, so OP, Rolex will have to fix it. Don’t worry too much. It’ll work out.

Is the case back sealed up tight against the case? Curious…

Old 30 January 2022, 06:22 AM   #38
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well can only speak for myself been on forum now since it started around 17 years ago, and in the hundreds of thousands of posts on forum a very very very very tiny amount of reports about water damage. Many years ago now, on a dive in the red sea had a glance at my SD at 25m.Shock horror my winding crown was fully unscrewed but did not worry as I was in charge of a group of divers I was guiding over the reef and they were far more important .But on return to surface watch was fine no water in watch or crystal moisture, and watch is still fine today almost 22 years later and still ticking strong.

Wow, amazing. Many thanks Padi for the reply and story!

IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 12:04 PM   #39
Chef Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Oh sorry. I thought he said he was going to ring them. I would have rung them already. Maybe he meant he will ring them when he gets back? Seems a bit pointless asking a forum full of strangers what Rolex will do in this particular case, although it will be informative to hear what Rolex does when they see it.
I was working night shift when I noticed the issue and I posted it on the forum at about 5 in the morning the service center wasn't even open and won't be open till Monday....and the reason I posted it on the forum is because I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience because this has never happened to me before......from what I've gathered it's the movement that's covered in the warranty.....so yeah
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 05:25 PM   #40
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
I was working night shift when I noticed the issue and I posted it on the forum at about 5 in the morning the service center wasn't even open and won't be open till Monday....and the reason I posted it on the forum is because I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience because this has never happened to me before......from what I've gathered it's the movement that's covered in the warranty.....so yeah
Materials and workmanship is covered by warranty.
It is not limited to movement.
Tools has posted very relevant factors around the issue which may or may not relate to your problem.
Rolex will be the sole arbiter in the matter and if applicable, they will put it right
Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 05:53 PM   #41
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes, provided that you haven’t opened the back or fiddled with the bezel to remove/replace it.

That voids the warranty the OP was asking about. Of course your advice is good for watches not under warranty. I’ve dried out a few on a bed of uncooked rice in a low oven.

How did the rice return out?

I would expect a warm oven to reduce the visual moisture but how it could remove moisture from inside a Rolex?

OP. Was there still visible moisture on the dial once the was at room/wrist temperature?

If you warm a watch up and place an ice block on the crystal it is not unusual to see slight condensation forming under the crystal.
This is an indication of a the amount of RH inside the case.
It will disappear as the watch warms back up.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 02:16 AM   #42
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
If you want to get rid of moisture put in refrigerator it’s the best dehumidifier there is.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 03:05 AM   #43
Chef Guy
"TRF" Member

Good news people.......Rolex have found the fault.....
.the cause of the water getting inside was a loose case back
Old 22 February 2022, 03:12 AM   #44
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And Rolex have accepted that as being an error on their part? (And therefore accepting it as a warranty claim?)
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 03:18 AM   #45
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Will they fix it under warranty?
Old 22 February 2022, 03:19 AM   #46
Chef Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
And Rolex have accepted that as being an error on their part?
Correct there even throwing in a new crown and tube..... dismantling the movement and resembling.....I expressed my concern about the hands lume and dial being damaged by the moisture they said they'd do there best to dry them off.....
I'm concerned my beautiful polar dial will look dull or distorted.....any thoughts
Old 22 February 2022, 03:22 AM   #47
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Always great to hear real world users passing on their experience.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 03:24 AM   #48
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct there even throwing in a new crown and tube..... dismantling the movement and resembling.....I expressed my concern about the hands lume and dial being damaged by the moisture they said they'd do there best to dry them off.....
I'm concerned my beautiful polar dial will look dull or distorted.....any thoughts
Well that's a result. I've heard of other manufacturers who would've definitely blamed the owner for tampering with it.

I'd be very surprised if they sent your watch back looking anything other than perfect, so if I was you I'd take what they're offering and IF (and it's a big if) there are problems down the line, you can take it up with Rolex then. TBH though if they can dry out and fix the movement just fine then the dial and hands will be a breeze.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 03:28 AM   #49
Chef Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Well that's a result. I've heard of other manufacturers who would've definitely blamed the owner for tampering with it.

I'd be very surprised if they sent your watch back looking anything other than perfect, so if I was you I'd take what they're offering and IF (and it's a big if) there are problems down the line, you can take it up with Rolex then. TBH though if they can dry out and fix the movement just fine then the dial and hands will be a breeze.
I'm curious what material are the hands and dial made off in the exp 2
Old 22 February 2022, 03:58 AM   #50
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
I'm curious what material are the hands and dial made off in the exp 2
I believe the hands and hour markers are white gold and the dial is brass.
Old 22 February 2022, 04:04 AM   #51
nikhsub1
Server Advisor

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
I think I'd express my concerns to rolex in writing... saying you are concerned that down the road the dial/hands may become discolored etc. This way if it does happen, you will have record of said concern which should then be covered under warranty even long after the 5 year period. Anyway, that is what I would do.
nikhsub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2022, 04:19 AM   #52
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
If it was a brand new watch and this happened I'd be demanding a new replacement rather than settle for a second choice gamble that will always niggle you.
Especially considering it might be corrosive sea water.
Old 23 February 2022, 08:15 PM   #53
3wheeler7
"TRF" Member

So you've bought a brand new Rolex that has now been proved by RSC to have an under-tightened case back.
Rolex should man-up and replace the entire watch as it did not conform to their own spec.
3wheeler7 is offline   Reply With Quote