The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2023, 12:35 PM   #31
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Not meant to be rude, but are you a likable person?

It's hard to believe you couldn't land a fairly basic watch across multiple ADs over a few years. Only thing I can think of is you may be offputting to the ADs for some reason. Again, not meant as an insult at all, just something to think about. Whether the AD sales people are right or not, is there a chance that they perceive you as something you aren't, or something you don't realize?
I was thinking the same. You may be putting out a bad vibe, not that you mean to. There shouldn't have been an issue getting the watches you want, especially since you have made requests at multiple AD's. If you come across flashy, saying that I have $100k to spend (not saying you did this) the AD will think you are a flipper. And if this is the case, they won't sell to you.

I don't agree with others that you need to spend $100k on jewelry or undesirable watches to get what you want. I have never done that and have been allocated 3 Rolex's, two hard to get Tudor's and a Breitling over the past 3 years. I simply visit my AD and talk with my SA and the store manager about once/month if not more frequently. We talk about all kinds of things besides just watches. We talk about family, sports, etc. etc. I'm not sucking up to the AD as I thoroughly enjoy my visits, and I believe my SA does as well.

That being said, going grey may be your best bet at this point as it's going to take some time to build that relationship to the point that you can get the watches you so desire.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 12:48 PM   #32
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
You're right. I read it wrong. Yeah, OP, why would an AD sell you an $100k watch collection when they could get a customer to spend $100k on other items to buy just one watch?
You're going to need to just go grey at this point.
I don’t believe anyone would spend $100k on jewelry just to get a sports watch, that’s just internet fantasy.
Old 10 September 2023, 12:56 PM   #33
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
You are in Florida - home to one of the best gray dealers. You can buy with ease and confidence from DavidSW. You can check the forum, google, or just about anywhere and learn they are a great business.
+1 to David 100%.

I think he even has a brick and mortar now doesn’t he?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:00 PM   #34
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

He has Orlando and either is opening or open in the Miami Design District.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:00 PM   #35
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
+1 to David 100%.

I think he even has a brick and mortar now doesn’t he?
DavidSW would have to charge sales tax for the OP, as well as the DavidSW premium.

I would go with Takuya, because I have and he's awesome.

Patrick the OCWatchguy is great too.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:02 PM   #36
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I don’t believe anyone would spend $100k on jewelry just to get a sports watch, that’s just internet fantasy.
I have been told by an AD that this isn't fantasy when it comes to the most desired pieces and you are in a HCL area. Not to mention, AD's "reward" their customers with the most desired pieces, i.e., those that spend money on high margin merchandise such as jewelry which can easily approach 60-80% margins.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:10 PM   #37
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Who is Takuya?

How do I find this person?
One of the trusted sellers here.

https://www.takuyawatches.com/
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:19 PM   #38
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn13ca View Post
I phoned every week for 2 months.

"HI, I am ... from ... city. I want to buy an Air King. Did you receive one?".

After 2 months a salesman called me back and said "I will sell you one so you'll stop calling!"

And I got it since.
Nice and congrats!
That is pretty good advice to do.. granted the conversation was pleasant.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 01:35 PM   #39
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My questions for you all:

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!
1) It does vary per AD and the SA you are working with, just be likable and respectful too. Do not express your frustration, or complaints to the SA. I think now/current times it is possible to buy a DJ, OP or an Explorer 1 as your first Rolex.

2) I would still keep trying with other Rolex boutiques/AD.. I have never bought thru grey dealers, I cannot comment but not going to pay above retail or market price whatever the grey are charging.

3) Watches are not investments.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2023, 02:12 PM   #40
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Please don't take the following as a complaint...I'm genuinely looking for some guidance from someone who has "cracked the code" before me, or someone who can offer suggestions that I'm not smart enough to have thought about.

My story:

I've wanted to own a Rolex watch "when I grow up" since I was a kid (for very personal reasons I won't go into here).

Fast forward 40 years and I'm the CEO of a company in Europe (living in NW Germany as a US expatriate).

I started visiting the AD in Oldenburg (Juweliere Mahlberg-Meyer) on the weekends. I was interested in an Air King or a Datejust. After a number of visits, I managed to get the salesperson to say the quiet part out loud. "No, there really is no list, and no, you are not getting a watch from us". That was discouraging and crushed a lifelong dream, but I was thankful that at least he was honest. I wondered if it was because I am an American and therefore won't be a lifelong Germany resident and customer for them.

After retiring from my CEO job, I came home to Michigan. I had substantial net worth (CEO golden parachute) and wanted to begin collecting Rolex watches. I would have been willing to spend $100k to buy 5-6 watches so that I could have a rotation to wear during the week.

I started visiting two ADs, Tappers Jewelry and Rottermond Jewelers (suburbs of Detroit). I was still looking to break the ice with that first Datejust or Air King. A year or two later, no watch.

Now I live in NW Florida (retired here). My closest AD is Jewelers Trade Shop. I'm "on the list" for a bluesy 16613LB which is a little more expensive and so I have heard that it's easier to get? More than a year later, still no watch.

I'm ready to buy the bluesy from the grey market, and then just give up on Rolex entirely after that. My problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell a real Rolex from a "super fake" and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!
I am right where you are OP. I have been waiting only 2 years, but expect to go grey if I don't get something by yearend

1. Some light at the end of the tunnel...one of the ADs I have been working with (the longest period, two years) just called and offered two PM DD40s (YG & WG) that I did not want (I am on the list for a DD40 Plat). While I did not get a watch yet, this is the first AD offer I have gotten, so that is a step in the right direction. I only want 3 Rolexes, a Batman, a DD40 Platinum and a WG Daytona (not LeMans), but would be happy with only one or even two. To move things along, I might consider buying a TT DJ, but would rather buy it as the 4th Rolex to round out the collection..

2. This is my biggest fear in going grey. I would rather pay an AD market prices to avoid the grey/fake possibility.

3. The Rolex shortage has gotten me to explore other watch brands, many/most of which are not carried concurrently by Rolex ADs so their purchase won't help my buying history with a Rolex AD.

The Omega Moonwatch is a must (and a possibly a better watch than the Daytona). Some of the older Panerai's are classic (if you can handle the 44-47mm size. Cartier's are nice and have a lot of history, but there A LOT of fakes out there. My next purchase will probably be a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso, just for its uniqueness, quality and history.

Like the OP, I would be happy to buy the Rolexes on my list all at once if offered, but that doesn't seem to be the way things work. Buying other things/watches in the meantime. My wife is not a jewelry person, so that path won't work.

It is worth noting the PM DD40s I was offered by my AD last week are available near MSRP on Chrono24 and the Batman I am waiting for is now within $5K of MSRP. The market is definitely softening and hope springs eternal...
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 04:59 AM   #41
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I am right where you are OP. I have been waiting only 2 years, but expect to go grey if I don't get something by yearend

1. Some light at the end of the tunnel...one of the ADs I have been working with (the longest period, two years) just called and offered two PM DD40s (YG & WG) that I did not want (I am on the list for a DD40 Plat). While I did not get a watch yet, this is the first AD offer I have gotten, so that is a step in the right direction. I only want 3 Rolexes, a Batman, a DD40 Platinum and a WG Daytona (not LeMans), but would be happy with only one or even two. To move things along, I might consider buying a TT DJ, but would rather buy it as the 4th Rolex to round out the collection..

2. This is my biggest fear in going grey. I would rather pay an AD market prices to avoid the grey/fake possibility.

3. The Rolex shortage has gotten me to explore other watch brands, many/most of which are not carried concurrently by Rolex ADs so their purchase won't help my buying history with a Rolex AD.

The Omega Moonwatch is a must (and a possibly a better watch than the Daytona). Some of the older Panerai's are classic (if you can handle the 44-47mm size. Cartier's are nice and have a lot of history, but there A LOT of fakes out there. My next purchase will probably be a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso, just for its uniqueness, quality and history.

Like the OP, I would be happy to buy the Rolexes on my list all at once if offered, but that doesn't seem to be the way things work. Buying other things/watches in the meantime. My wife is not a jewelry person, so that path won't work.

It is worth noting the PM DD40s I was offered by my AD last week are available near MSRP on Chrono24 and the Batman I am waiting for is now within $5K of MSRP. The market is definitely softening and hope springs eternal...

The risk of a fake has been the ONLY reason I haven't gone grey (and maybe never will...I'm torn at this point)

I too am looking at other options. The Tudor black bay GMT with opaline dial is interesting as is the Omega Seamaster 300M.

The Tudor would be "purchase history" at the Rolex AD. The Omega would not. The downside of the Omega is that it loses about 2 grand in value when you walk out the door (almost like buying a new car). The Tudor seems to hold its value.

An earlier poster said "watches are not investments". I agree, but since we have options, why wouldn't we choose watches that maintain their value over time and even potentially go up in the long run?
FinanceProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 05:04 AM   #42
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I was thinking the same. You may be putting out a bad vibe, not that you mean to. There shouldn't have been an issue getting the watches you want, especially since you have made requests at multiple AD's. If you come across flashy, saying that I have $100k to spend (not saying you did this) the AD will think you are a flipper. And if this is the case, they won't sell to you.

I don't agree with others that you need to spend $100k on jewelry or undesirable watches to get what you want. I have never done that and have been allocated 3 Rolex's, two hard to get Tudor's and a Breitling over the past 3 years. I simply visit my AD and talk with my SA and the store manager about once/month if not more frequently. We talk about all kinds of things besides just watches. We talk about family, sports, etc. etc. I'm not sucking up to the AD as I thoroughly enjoy my visits, and I believe my SA does as well.

That being said, going grey may be your best bet at this point as it's going to take some time to build that relationship to the point that you can get the watches you so desire.
Multiple ADs, yes. But at different times. Germany = 1 year. Michigan = 18 months. Florida = 1 year.

It may simply be that I haven't waited long enough. Maybe I was just about to get a call when I moved each time. Who knows. It sounds like the responses here have been saying 18 months and 2 years is not uncommon.

Its 1-1/2 hours' drive to go to and from my closest AD now, so I can't really get there frequently. I do send a text message every 2-3 months and have purcahsed one Tissot watch.
Old 11 September 2023, 05:20 AM   #43
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude321 View Post
I live in Central FL and have documented my frustration of this "wait list". Truth be told, after 2.5 years I got the call this week and just got my first new Rolex. I went grey prior using DavidSW in Orlando and they have plenty of options in all brands and styles. Very nice people, but you pay grey prices. I was able to haggle $500 off the cost of my 16710. Good luck!
I'm not near Orlando, but if I'm ever down that way, I'll check out DavidSW. Thanks to you and the others that suggested this dealer.
Old 11 September 2023, 05:28 AM   #44
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Grey - What about Warranty / Service

1) For those of you who recommended, "just go grey", am I correct in my understanding that the Rolex warranty does not apply to a grey market purchase regardless of its age?

2) Can a grey market watch be sent to Rolex for servicing 5-10 years later or will they only service watches purchased at an AD by the original owner?

Thanks.
Old 11 September 2023, 05:44 AM   #45
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
Quote:
1) For those of you who recommended, "just go grey", am I correct in my understanding that the Rolex warranty does not apply to a grey market purchase regardless of its age?

2) Can a grey market watch be sent to Rolex for servicing 5-10 years later or will they only service watches purchased at an AD by the original owner?

Thanks.
I believe the warranty attaches to the watch, so is transferable. Regarding your 2nd question, based on what I remember from a thread awhile back, most people have been able to get their grey mkt watches serviced by Rolex through an AD, but I recall a couple posts mentioning that that they had the opposite experience.
Old 11 September 2023, 05:45 AM   #46
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks.
Rolex has done a decent job "scaring" people from buying outside the AD network. I chuckle as most watches sold into the secondary market are from ADs themselves. Keep in mind - buying outside an AD is essentially the same as getting a gift or buying from a friend/family member.

1. "Grey" has become a catch all phrase that is a bit of a misnomer. While not as common now given the market conditions, many watches were sold "out the back door" of ADs in bulk to online shops and convention sellers (Joma Shop, Inventory adjusters, for example) and they did not come with a factory warranty. These watches, along with watches sold naked without a card is what I view to be "grey."

Then, there are dealers/traders/brokers that sell brand new (from AD or directly flipped from retail buyer) or used, which comes with a "full set" (box, warranty card, tags, sometimes receipt, etc.). Watches that are sold over the counter to a retail buyer with an activated warranty card come with an active warranty if the time has not elapsed. For example, a watch purchased from a dealer that has a date of 2023 will come with a 5 year warranty, unless something unbeknownst has occurred - I am not sure what that thing could be.

2. Rolex will service any watch as long as it is not reported missing/stolen in their database, have a certain number of after market parts, or altered serial number.
Old 11 September 2023, 05:48 AM   #47
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Davidsw.com
SDWATCHES.com (posts here under justrolexes)
Takuya

All these are fine. I have personally spent money with the first two
DavidSW and Tony Geha (SDWATCHES) have both been in business long before instagram watch culture

Side note - these super fakes you mentioned are not the threat you think they are. To YOU, or in pictures, they may be indistinguishable from the real thing. To a dealer that has held thousands of real watches, they can tell instantly. A lot of fake spotting is tactile feel. How does the bracelet feel? How does the movement wind? How does the crown screw down or feel when the time is set? How do the hands move?

Fakes don’t get that stuff right

If you want ultimate peace of mind, buy from one of the trusted sellers mentioned, and immediately send the watch to Rolex with a made up issue (for example, tell them the watch is running 8s/day slow). If there is any issue with authenticity, Rolex will let you know. But, there won’t be.

Cheers!
Old 11 September 2023, 05:49 AM   #48
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
If you can't buy new at the AD, and you're concerned about fakes from the grey market, then Rolex themselves have started rolling-out a Rolex certified pre-owned programme:
https://www.tourneau.com/rolex-certified-pre-owned/

They can be 20%-30% more expensive than buying from a grey-market dealer, but with without the risk of buying a fake. Perfect for that expansive CEO-parachute ...
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 05:51 AM   #49
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Rolex have certainly got full control of all parts of their market but it would be strange if they refused to service a watch because you didn’t buy it from an AD,as long as any watch doesn’t show as stolen it should be fine.
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 06:03 AM   #50
Ted Shred
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/ Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
... immediately send the watch to Rolex with a made up issue (for example, tell them the watch is running 8s/day slow). If there is any issue with authenticity, Rolex will let you know...
I'm no authority to be sure, but I'd always thought that sending a fake to Rolex is a good way to never see your (fake) watch again because Rolex is so stringent about that kind of thing. Or is that just an urban Rolex myth?
Old 11 September 2023, 06:07 AM   #51
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
I'm no authority to be sure, but I'd always thought that sending a fake to Rolex is a good way to never see your (fake) watch again because Rolex is so stringent about that kind of thing. Or is that just an urban Rolex myth?
My understanding is that an unauthentic watch will be seized since it violates trademark law.
Old 11 September 2023, 07:06 AM   #52
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
1. It’s getting much easier to buy Rolex watches at ADs with little to no buying history. Unless of course you want the usual suspects of SS sports watches?

2. DavidSW is reputable and is in Florida or you could visit https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

3. Patek, AP
♛ 116689 ♛ 218206 Roman ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Bronzo 671 & 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 07:47 AM   #53
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred View Post
If a component is not right (for example, you bought a Tiffany OP41 but Rolex determines the Tiffany dial is fake, and your watch was originally a black face OP41) they’ll make you buy the black dial and discard the Tiffany.

If the entire unit is fake, no idea - they’d probably discard

Either way, one of the mentioned reputable dealers in this thread would make it right. Highly unlikely this would happen, or you’d see people complaining about this. But this never pops up, because it’s easy for them to spot fakes.

My suggestion of sending it in to RSC was so that OP could get 100% satisfaction that his watch was legit
Old 11 September 2023, 11:26 AM   #54
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
So its either pay the gray dealer (they essentially buy up the stuff AD cant sell) and charge you a premium for that or spend 100k (or more) on stuff you dont want. Hopefully Rolex move into retail will move things back to first come, first serve like it used to be.

Im in the minority here, but Rolex can stick it as far as im concerned. I dont pay a dime over retail on a watch that not rare at all, but the gray market and inteweb hype machine creates fake scarcity and exclusivity and people go bananas. As Mark Twain said, "to make a boy covet a thing, its only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain."
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 01:07 PM   #55
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
3. Patek, AP
Yeah, but the "investment" watches from PP and AP are as hard to get as any of the popular Rolex.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 01:17 PM   #56
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
So its either pay the gray dealer (they essentially buy up the stuff AD cant sell) and charge you a premium for that or spend 100k (or more) on stuff you dont want. Hopefully Rolex move into retail will move things back to first come, first serve like it used to be.

Im in the minority here, but Rolex can stick it as far as im concerned. I dont pay a dime over retail on a watch that not rare at all, but the gray market and inteweb hype machine creates fake scarcity and exclusivity and people go bananas. As Mark Twain said, "to make a boy covet a thing, its only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain."
I would say this was the case when there was an inverted supply/demand curve. Now, the dealers are either getting watches from folks who got the call and are looking for a quick flip leaving some margin for the dealer, or making a deal direct with the AD. Many of us agree that a move into retail by Rolex may help, but I don't expect they will do that as it feels intentional they keep their distance from the consumer and let the ADs deal with the fallout from the lack of supply and use them as the scape goat.

I think going with a dealer probably makes more sense for "the one" versus needing to by an endless amount of watches or jewelry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Yeah, but the "investment" watches from PP and AP are as hard to get as any of the popular Rolex.
EXACTLY - try getting aN SS Aquanaut from a PP AD.
Old 11 September 2023, 03:15 PM   #57
Nik00
Banned

You could just go grey and buy from a reputable seller.
Nik00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 04:08 PM   #58
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

Lol…ceo of a company .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GotRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 04:14 PM   #59
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Dont waste precious time
Call Takuya and get it on your wrist at very small premium the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! I have also bought from him.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 04:54 PM   #60
Rolex2008
Banned

Watch: Various
Would imagine Florida isn't an easy place to pick up AD Rolex watches.

Where I live in the UK, visiting in person, no being silly with expectations, showing an appreciation for all watches, being kind and courteous and patient helped me score a Submariner and a reasonably 'hot' Datejust from my local AD. Never spent a penny on Jewellery or watches I didn't want.
Rolex2008 is offline   Reply With Quote