The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 January 2023, 01:24 PM   #31
MrChamfers
Banned

Watch: ing Warriors ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokd View Post
Reviving the thread here. I just got back from my 3rd visit since servicing my 1675 GMT at the RSC in NYC. I’ve had to keep going back because my watch keeps running fast (11-12 seconds per day). The last two times, they kept it and overhauled it again. It still didn’t make a difference. I brought it in today and it was running 11.7 seconds fast. I asked them to regulate it and was told the best they could get it to was +6 seconds. I asked them why that was the case and they said because it’s old. I’m wondering if this is true or if it’s just a matter of the watchmaker not wanting to spend the time to make it run better. I know +6 seconds is within COSC standards but I’m annoyed because it was running at +1 second before servicing. One would think I would get it back the same way. What’s everyone’s take on this?

How did you check the timing before service to get that +1 second result?

It should be from an average of many measurements with the watch in different positions, at a full wind.
If the average timing got worse after servicing that would be kind of strange.
MrChamfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 01:49 PM   #32
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

No offense, but if you are so obsessed about a few seconds a day, a quartz watch might suit you better.
Old 24 January 2023, 03:17 PM   #33
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokd View Post
Reviving the thread here. I just got back from my 3rd visit since servicing my 1675 GMT at the RSC in NYC. I’ve had to keep going back because my watch keeps running fast (11-12 seconds per day). The last two times, they kept it and overhauled it again. It still didn’t make a difference. I brought it in today and it was running 11.7 seconds fast. I asked them to regulate it and was told the best they could get it to was +6 seconds. I asked them why that was the case and they said because it’s old. I’m wondering if this is true or if it’s just a matter of the watchmaker not wanting to spend the time to make it run better. I know +6 seconds is within COSC standards but I’m annoyed because it was running at +1 second before servicing. One would think I would get it back the same way. What’s everyone’s take on this?
The Rolex after-sales rate tolerance for your watch movement is -1/+10 sec/day, measured with a timegrapher. It is NOT the accuracy or obtained timekeeping on your wrist.

You need a timegrapher, measure (after full winding) the caliber rates in 5 different positions (DU, 3U, 6U, 9U, DD), and determine the average value X.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 06:37 AM   #34
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
The 1675 GMT has the micro-stella adjustment system. Following servicing my watch would usually take a few weeks to bed down and then, if I wasn't happy with the timekeeping, my AD would take it into their workshop and regulate it. I think this happened twice in the 50+ years I used it as my daily wearer. The important factor is consistency - if a movement is gaining one day then losing the next day, then something is wrong and it needs servicing. But if it is, say, gaining 8sec/day consistently then it is good, it doesn't need further servicing, just regulating.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 05:48 AM   #35
timnik
"TRF" Member

I have a 1969 GMT. It runs slow. Always has.

It doesn't bother me.

I use my phone for accurate time.

Like everybody else.
timnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2023, 05:51 AM   #36
PVR
"TRF" Member

If it's still slow or fast after service it may be magnetized. Try to unmagnetized it and take a new reading or re time the Stella adjustment after doing do..
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote