The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2010, 09:52 PM   #31
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

When I sold my 6 year old sub non date ( which I bought full price from an AD) in October to a dealer I got my money back. If I sold it privately I would have made money on it. I would think it would be the same for a sea dweller.
Old 12 January 2010, 10:12 PM   #32
promethus
"TRF" Member

Value will go up over time for pre-own pieces as Rolex increases their prices on their new ones annually. I doubt there will be significant jump in value for both SD & Sub after it's discontinued.

Maybe the older ones with T-Dial and some transitional differences. Like an E Series Sub Date with Heavy Fonts printing etc.

Then, maybe a few decades later, you see the prices like current 5513 etc....

There are just too many 16610, 14060 and 16600 around. If I am concerned about these issues, I will invest in a 1680, 5513 or 16660.

Other than that, I say, buy whatever you like and enjoy it, cause for Rolex, you will most likely break even over time, especially if you purchase your watch pre-owned.
promethus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 11:11 PM   #33
everose

I think that interest in the SD has increased recently,since the SDDS has superceded it.I think interest will continue to grow over time in the SD, slowly but steadily boosting values for pristine examples.........Just do not think it will be the investment of the decade!!!

I THINK THE KEY WILL BE IF- Rolex re-issue/relaunch the SD and how different the new one would be.(the more difference,the better for the original SD it would be.)

There sure seems to be a big gap between Sub(300m) and SDDS(3900m)now!!!
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:48 AM   #34
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

SD is a great watch. Enjoy it, wear it !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2010, 06:34 AM   #35
Willi

Watch: 16710
I have a "Z" SD and love it, just happened to be wearing it today too. I bought it to keep so I'm not overly concerned with it's long term investment value since I plan to enjoy it over time. The thought that such a watch will keep it's value, for the most part, is quite comforting though. Although I like the look of the DSSD, I didn't like the larger case and felt the SD was large enough.

I think there will always be a market for pre-owned sport Rolexes but that there are just too many SDs and Subs out there to make them collectible like the early ones.
Willi is offline   Reply With Quote