The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2019, 06:17 AM   #31
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
My fear is if and when the bubble pops that’ll still mean well over msrp. Anybody else feel that will be the case.

Not sure if I ever see these going back to the early premium days of 16-18k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The market is up.

That’s the same thing everyone said about the 520 Daytona’s back in the day — (when they hit 10k ish plus — around ‘04-‘07. In ‘11-‘12 it was EASY to find ADs sitting on two to three at a time. It is ALL cyclical.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:33 AM   #32
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Just look at the SS Zenith Daytona which is currently worth more than the TT Zenith Daytona. I'm not sure about the PM Zenith Daytona.

Too much spare cash are floating around for toys.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 08:11 AM   #33
GSBC
"TRF" Member

The question is, how many of you will be prepared to spend $12-$13k for a watch when the market tanks? I’m not advocating anyone paying over MSRP, but you would have to assume the overall market to not be in the best shape under that scenario. You would have to be mentally prepared to write it off in that situation, which I think will eliminate a lot of people here to be honest.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 08:37 AM   #34
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
It's happening with the Zenith based Daytonas right now, so for sure it's possible with the current gen. Same thing can be said for TT across the board, it's more valuable material, but not always the more desirable overall watch.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 01:50 PM   #35
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBC View Post
The question is, how many of you will be prepared to spend $12-$13k for a watch when the market tanks? I’m not advocating anyone paying over MSRP, but you would have to assume the overall market to not be in the best shape under that scenario. You would have to be mentally prepared to write it off in that situation, which I think will eliminate a lot of people here to be honest.
There is no guarantee the market will tank. However, I think it’s ridiculous to pay over MSRP on any watch. Especially when the stainless steel Daytona is creeping up to the cost of full precious metal.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 03:11 PM   #36
peterpl
Banned

If your paying or thinking of paying $22k for a SS Daytona you got rocks in your head when a PM is only a bit more.

No way in hell would I pay PM prices for an SS piece. That is absurd.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 03:22 PM   #37
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Just look at the SS Zenith Daytona which is currently worth more than the TT Zenith Daytona. I'm not sure about the PM Zenith Daytona.

Too much spare cash are floating around for toys.
SS has always traded above TT in Daytona’s. Even back in the zenith model days.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 04:32 PM   #38
Navarino
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its possible.... until you get a full PM WG daytona with a ceramic bezel. Getting an OF one is very hard, on a bracelet and priced anywhere near the secondary market SS prices won't happen. Thats going to be a over retail full PM watch. No doubt

Im guessing YG and RG will be a lot more popular than the non ceramic versions as well

I suspect the WG OF is more attractive due to the closeness in price to the SS version even if its on rubber which is probably not most peoples first choice.
I think you hit the nail right on the head here. The introduction of the ceramic Daytona bezel has got everyone focused on those models.

I would be more inclined to save up for a YG Daytona as my first full PM Rolex if it came with a ceramic bezel.

If they did a YG Daytona with ceramic bezel and the following, they would sell like hotcakes: 1) black dial with solid flat yellow subdials or 2) flat yellow dial with solid black subdials. Reasoning here is it would get you the closest configuration to some of the classic Daytona 6263s.
Navarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:21 PM   #39
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

They were over msrp ten years ago, I don't see that changing anytime soon. Now with that said the ss daytona or any ss Rolex does feel nice on the wrist. I have ss and pm sub and they do give me a different feel when I wear them.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 05:45 PM   #40
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
People getting a bit fixated with materials?

Regardless of this being a Daytona or any other watch for that matter... the value of something especially with a luxury item is based on demand. The actual physical material is not a factor.

Logically yes... gold is worth more than steel. But it doesn’t matter if there is less desire to own a gold piece. The allure of the Daytona is a SS sports watch, thus people want it in SS.

It’s not crazy to think that a SS piece can be worth more. Just historically look at all great sports watches. The majority of the SS version is worth more than the gold counterpart.

I do have to say besides the WG 116519LN, none of the other PM versions sing to me. Regardless of price (even equal) I’ll probably pick up a SS version over the PM.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:11 PM   #41
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post

Regardless of this being a Daytona or any other watch for that matter... the value of something especially with a luxury item is based on demand. The actual physical material is not a factor.

Logically yes... gold is worth more than steel. But it doesn’t matter if there is less desire to own a gold piece. The allure of the Daytona is a SS sports watch, thus people want it in SS.

It’s not crazy to think that a SS piece can be worth more. Just historically look at all great sports watches. The majority of the SS version is worth more than the gold counterpart.

I do have to say besides the WG 116519LN, none of the other PM versions sing to me. Regardless of price (even equal) I’ll probably pick up a SS version over the PM.
You are partly right, but PM actually adds something of real value to the watch if the market tanks.

SS price 306, (904 is perhaps slightly more) is after all around 2 USD/pound. So just to do a quick comparison Gold (750) compared to steel price per pound.

Pound of SS; roughly 2 dollars
Pound of 750 Gold; roughly 14.000 dollars

So once desirability is gone, you're left with nothing.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:26 PM   #42
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Not really. Gold is actually a precious metal. Steel is used in pretty much every single common household appliance out there.

Precious metal adds intrinsic value not just hyped up artificial value.
Old 4 March 2019, 06:30 PM   #43
The1019
Banned

Daytona ss prices are already falling back don’t believe or add to the hype it just isn’t there in real world easy to obtain at a few thousands over list - anyone paying more needs to look around
The1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 06:41 PM   #44
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1019 View Post
Daytona ss prices are already falling back don’t believe or add to the hype it just isn’t there in real world easy to obtain at a few thousands over list - anyone paying more needs to look around
Same with BLRO in SS. It just isn’t selling at 15K here.
Old 4 March 2019, 07:00 PM   #45
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

I like to vote for "no", but then again anything is possible nowadays.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 07:03 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Same with BLRO in SS. It just isn’t selling at 15K here.
UK dealer buy prices are north of $16,500 still. Obviously the list price they then ask is way way above that. So they are easily moving at 15k no question or they wouldn't buy them above that.

no idea about elsewhere though
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 07:09 PM   #47
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Please put me in touch with these places that can get them for a few grand over retail. I'll buy as many as they can produce.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 08:19 PM   #48
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
UK dealer buy prices are north of $16,500 still. Obviously the list price they then ask is way way above that. So they are easily moving at 15k no question or they wouldn't buy them above that.

no idea about elsewhere though
Which UK dealer buys them at $16.5k? Can you please share? I have a few friends in asia wanting to sell their SS BLRO. In Asia you wont even get $14k for them. I will pass the information along so they can get top dollar for their pieces.
Old 4 March 2019, 08:40 PM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Which UK dealer buys them at $16.5k? Can you please share? I have a few friends in asia wanting to sell their SS BLRO. In Asia you wont even get $14k for them. I will pass the information along so they can get top dollar for their pieces.
the usual dealer. send me a PM if you are not sure.

Not sure how they handle imported watches though. Technically you have to pay duty when you bring them in
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 4 March 2019, 08:44 PM   #50
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
No it won’t last forever and it’s non sensical. These are mass produced watches by a mass produced manufacture. Eventually prices will come down, maybe not back to msrp but they will.
It will last forever, hasn't this always been the case with the Daytona? i believe it has. The game has changed, lists don't exist anymore in most cases and these hot pieces unless the grey market dies which it won't it's likely to stay like this for a very long time
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 10:11 PM   #51
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
It will last forever, hasn't this always been the case with the Daytona? i believe it has. The game has changed, lists don't exist anymore in most cases and these hot pieces unless the grey market dies which it won't it's likely to stay like this for a very long time
No it hasn’t always been the case. Hand wind Daytona’s sold at huge discounts.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 10:15 PM   #52
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Where are you seeing this? Maybe the blro is cooling down a bit.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 10:35 PM   #53
mml4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedpete View Post
Hey Guys—

Have we hit whackyville—

We hit whackyville a long time ago! It's reached a point where sitting on a legitimate list from an AD is the preferable move. I wouldn't enjoy a watch at 2x msrp.
I don't flip or sell Rolex but I also don't want to see the value of what I buy evaporate.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 10:38 PM   #54
Fedpete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
We hit whackyville a long time ago! It's reached a point where sitting on a legitimate list from an AD is the preferable move. I wouldn't enjoy a watch at 2x msrp.

I don't flip or sell Rolex but I also don't want to see the value of what I buy evaporate.

I am in the same boat. I adore the white DayC and cannot get myself there mentally to drop 22k on a SS watch that retails in the 12k zone.

I could be sitting on “lists” for a very long time.

Fedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 10:40 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mml4 View Post
if anything i think the daytona C prices have been fairly consistent. Look at the 5711 over the same time period, the 5712, the 5990, the 5980 etc. We are talking about premiums doubling or more in some cases. 5990 ask prices have gone from 60k to 100k in 6 months. what did the daytona start out at 3 years ago and what is it at today?

perspective
Old 4 March 2019, 10:56 PM   #56
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
No it won’t last forever and it’s non sensical. These are mass produced watches by a mass produced manufacture. Eventually prices will come down, maybe not back to msrp but they will.
Not massed produced enough to satisfy demand. Last I heard and this was years ago, each AD only received about 2-4 ss models per year. The ss Daytona as long as I have been in the Rolex game (since mid 1990’s) has been very hard to get. So that’s better than 25 years now of that watch being very hard to get. Took me 14 years to get my ss Daytona, so while the prices are nuts, I can’t see them going down dramatically.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 11:08 PM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Not massed produced enough to satisfy demand. Last I heard and this was years ago, each AD only received about 2-4 ss models per year. The ss Daytona as long as I have been in the Rolex game (since mid 1990’s) has been very hard to get. So that’s better than 25 years now of that watch being very hard to get. Took me 14 years to get my ss Daytona, so while the prices are nuts, I can’t see them going down dramatically.
mine gets a couple a month. I know its pretty accurate because i was at an AD event and there were im guessing more than 10 attendees wearing one. 2 a year would represent over 5 years of allocation at those levels and the watch hasn't even been out that long. That also was a small sample of how many they have probably sold in total
Old 5 March 2019, 01:56 AM   #58
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
mine gets a couple a month. I know its pretty accurate because i was at an AD event and there were im guessing more than 10 attendees wearing one. 2 a year would represent over 5 years of allocation at those levels and the watch hasn't even been out that long. That also was a small sample of how many they have probably sold in total
I definitely agree with this. I know they get at least 1-2 per month of the Daytona and BLRO (at least the larger store does). Sometimes they are “hoarded” until a VIP customer comes in. *cough cough* bundles big time.

I’ve been offered the package deal a year or two ago. And been hinted at the same opportunity for the BLRO close to launch. In addition to that I’ve witnessed in stores of this happening. How else do you produce the watch in less than a week... “oh it happened to arrive” “unclaimed” ... sure....
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:10 AM   #59
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
IMO what we are seeing related to prices reflects changes in society and its values. Some of us might consider financial value and not want to pay 2X the MSRP for a watch. Someone else might not care about the financial aspect and derive enjoyment from being the first on social media to show off what they acquired. Strong economy certainly doesn't dissuade people from spending more freely.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:38 AM   #60
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
The market is up.

That’s the same thing everyone said about the 520 Daytona’s back in the day — (when they hit 10k ish plus — around ‘04-‘07. In ‘11-‘12 it was EASY to find ADs sitting on two to three at a time. It is ALL cyclical.

This. BUT I don't think SS Daytonas will ever just be sitting on the AD shelves anymore. Cyclical or not, it's a special edition watch that just isn't called special edition. The get extremely lucky or spend big to get one model. Either you pay the premium on the grey or you pay the premium at the AD by package dealing it with watches that will lose a lot of value on the secondary market.

The day a new SS Daytona sells more than a full on PM model is the day we all need to abort. That is the apex of stupidity. I understand why that would be the case on vintage models but on a modern day watch, especially with how much PM is used in the new models, that is just dumb. Also, the Daytona may be a sports model but Rolex has much better sports models for actual daily use. PM on a Daytona makes more sense in that regard as it is a blingy piece.

I'm a stainless steel guy but if someone offered me a SS or white gold/platinum model you best know which one I'm choosing...

Also, the Daytona is not worth the grey market price at all just from a pure watch quality standpoint. You are paying that money because it is the hyped up Rolex Daytona, not because it is a 22k+ watch. That is haute horology money.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote