The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2009, 09:22 PM   #31
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
I do love it when someone compliments, just hate it when they "want to have a look"!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 09:42 PM   #32
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX MAN View Post
I do love it when someone compliments, just hate it when they "want to have a look"!
and asks - "can i touch it"?

umm..... NO
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 11:24 PM   #33
gregory
"TRF" Member

Well, thankfully he was a WIS, it's just that they can't be that many loitering about in this neck of the woods.. so it just made it the nicest thing!

His next up is a GMT Master II as is mine... and both of us love it on a Pepsi... though Sub wise he didn't really appreciate the 50th Green bezel, whereas I would personally love one!

Was just a mad thing to happen!
gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 11:47 PM   #34
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolu View Post
You just need to take the Rolex ads seriously and pick the right watch

Classic.
Puffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2009, 11:49 PM   #35
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
I love when that happens! It happens to me constantly... But a 50% of them just know its a Rolex.. nothing else!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:14 AM   #36
Blue Lantern
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79190
A couple months ago, I was at a Starbucks drive-through and the clerk said, "Whoa, nice watch!" Left a big smile on my face, as my wife pointed out.
Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:15 AM   #37
jameshe
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, SkyDweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
How great is it when somebody notices your watch and is on the same wavelength as you?

I am UK based, and went out to watch my football team (soccer) Leeds United play yesterday in a local derby game.

Afterwards, we went our for Christmas drinks with friends, and was having a great time.

A couple who my friend Steve (who was with me) knows turned up later on, and we were having a good old time of it.

Anyway, I went to the bar for a round of drinks, and he came up to help my carry them.

The first thing he did was point at my watch, my Submariner, and revealed his on his wrist. He had an immaculate 15 year old date version... and from then on we were in watch heaven nattering away!

He said he'd noticed it straight away, but I hadn't seen his because his sleeves were low over his watch.

A funny chance meeting, but great all the same, better than the usual 9/10 times questions about if it's fake or not by people, which always annoys me.

I don't really mention my watch stuff to the people who I keep company with, it's a private thing, and it was comical to watch us both go off into WIS geekdom together, right in the middle of football chat.

A nice happening.
I had the same thing happen at the weekend when I was out for drinks - met a couple of new people (friends of friends) who were out with us, and spotted his Sub... Instantly pointed wrist to wrist and recieved a 'congratulatory' handshake and a huge laugh! Completely put us at ease and got on in conversation all night.

Watches can be the ultimate ice breaker - so important!

And yes, its nice to be spotted by another WIS/owner, but I dont like the attention from others (non WIS/owners) one bit. Its personal to me, i dont really want you to know its a Rolex (and thus how much I have spent etc) and the worst 'is it real' response you have to counjour. Pain!

This is why i'm looking at JLC over a datejust for my next. Who the hell knows 'Jaeger Le Coultre' on the street (in my social groups, 21 year old students!) typically? Even if they do, it doesnt scream MONNNNNEYYYYY to the average man like Rolex does (even though the model I am looking at is almost twice the cost of my SD)
jameshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:32 AM   #38
alphamale2012
"TRF" Member

My watches dont normaly get noticed but when I notice someone else I always compliment them on it.
alphamale2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 01:03 AM   #39
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
I've got a friend who has made more than one comment regarding my Rolex, mainly saying how he'd never spend that much on a watch.

He's all proud of his Skagen he got on overstock.com or something. Nothing wrong with the Skagen, but his contradictory attitude is highlighted by his Von Dutch truckers hat (~$100), and some sweat jacket he got in Europe for nearly $300.

I'm happy wearing my 5 year old LL Bean buttondown and my Rolex....so, to each his own, I suppose.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 01:37 AM   #40
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

People rarely notice my watches. Most are subtle, including my AK and Date. Most of my watches are vintage, relatively small, are stay hidden under my cuffs.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 01:40 AM   #41
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
I don't mind some people admiring my watch , as long it is not a couple of gun touting thugs in a dark alley .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 02:25 AM   #42
Speed
"TRF" Member

I was emailing with a friend who I come to find was a Breitling guy (only quartz, but oh well) and has over 20 watches of various makes. I thought Cool! A fellow WIS. But apparently he is not into watches anymore and seemed to get down on me for the few I have.

Then he proceeds to say Rolexes are showy and he would never wear one overseas. I say my SS Sub / GMT II Coke are anything but showy...

I sent him a link to some cool macro shots I post here...(he is a photog as well) Then, he tells me he would not post photos of his watches for the public!!

Man, my hopes for some WIS talk shrunk immediately. What a splash of cold water.

I guess the only thing worse than a Watch conversation with a Non WIS is one with a FORMER WIS!!!!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 02:27 AM   #43
brady
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes please
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
I've got a friend who has made more than one comment regarding my Rolex, mainly saying how he'd never spend that much on a watch.

He's all proud of his Skagen he got on overstock.com or something. Nothing wrong with the Skagen, but his contradictory attitude is highlighted by his Von Dutch truckers hat (~$100), and some sweat jacket he got in Europe for nearly $300.

I'm happy wearing my 5 year old LL Bean buttondown and my Rolex....so, to each his own, I suppose.
Too funny - that sort of logic always makes me laugh. What always gets me is my friends who buy everything on debt (cars, toys, etc.) who then turn around and are mind boggled by my watch collection.

As someone who buys everything with cash (including used cars), I am much happier seeing my extra cash go towards watches that retain a lot of their value vs. paying interest on a car that is going to be worth a whole lot less at some point. As you said... to each their own.
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 02:28 AM   #44
mfer
"TRF" Member

Only with people who own similar watches.

I HATE it when people notice and the FIRST #%^@ing thing they ask is how much it costs. I've starting asking them how much money do they make in a year and am usually greeted by a blank stare. They get the point.

I'm actually starting to dislike Rolex b/c of their marketing....
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 02:57 AM   #45
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Only with people who own similar watches.

I HATE it when people notice and the FIRST #%^@ing thing they ask is how much it costs. I've starting asking them how much money do they make in a year and am usually greeted by a blank stare. They get the point.

I'm actually starting to dislike Rolex b/c of their marketing....
I think I am going to use that question re: salary and see if the person gets the point.

May spring that on on my dufus brother in law!!!

Thanks mfer!
Old 8 December 2009, 03:01 AM   #46
mfer
"TRF" Member

No problem. You can also ask them how much their wife's engagement ring is, or how much do they invest each month, or how's their credit card balance doing.

Used 'em all.

Basically any inappropriate question will work!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 03:50 AM   #47
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Mentioned this in another thread...but save for one comment a guy made re: my Speedy Pro while I was picking up my laundry - zero comments have come my way in public about any Rolex. This guy said he had "owned that watch before" - a giveaway WIS comment.
Same for me, Bill. People just don't seem to notice, and that's fine by me.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 04:06 AM   #48
zseriessub

I enjoy it when my Rolex is noticed by someone with a similar appreciation for it. I do not, however, like it when someone one notices it and its followed by "Is it real?" or "How much did it cost?"
zseriessub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 04:27 AM   #49
cobblecanyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcandle View Post
In eight months of daily wear, not a single person has commented on my DSSD. Perhaps that is a sign that I need different friends in my life.
Funny thing you brought up. Got a buddy and we've been friends for 10yrs,,he owned a couple of Rolexes and Cartier. I always commented positively on his watches when he wears them. When I got my 1st Rolex, and wore it out, he noticed my bling and not one word. It's been 4 months, not 1 word of compliment like ...hey buddy, nice watch.
In any event, I am with you, I need different friends in my life too.
cobblecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 05:24 AM   #50
Speed
"TRF" Member

Oh well...I guess I'll just have to come to TRF to get my watch jollies. HAHAHAHA
Old 8 December 2009, 05:33 AM   #51
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
Too funny - that sort of logic always makes me laugh. What always gets me is my friends who buy everything on debt (cars, toys, etc.) who then turn around and are mind boggled by my watch collection.

As someone who buys everything with cash (including used cars), I am much happier seeing my extra cash go towards watches that retain a lot of their value vs. paying interest on a car that is going to be worth a whole lot less at some point. As you said... to each their own.
I agree with this exactly. I would rather spend $3-5K USD on a Rolex which will hold its value or increase in value over time. If you buy a car for that price, try selling it in a few years, see what its worth. We wont even talk of electronics. Unless you are dealing with very high end stuff, Krell, Wilson, etc. you get hammered before you even leave the store on such purchases.

People have every misguided and misplaced logic for many things it seems.
DWdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 06:21 AM   #52
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Same for me, Bill. People just don't seem to notice, and that's fine by me.

The only time I get a compliment is when I go to a Jewelery / watch store . Outside of that Notta
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 11:02 AM   #53
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWdrummer View Post
I agree with this exactly. I would rather spend $3-5K USD on a Rolex which will hold its value or increase in value over time. If you buy a car for that price, try selling it in a few years, see what its worth. We wont even talk of electronics. Unless you are dealing with very high end stuff, Krell, Wilson, etc. you get hammered before you even leave the store on such purchases.

People have every misguided and misplaced logic for many things it seems.
Considering cost of service and upkeep, watches really aren't terrific investments right now. If the watch hasn't had a recent service that is overdue, the price of that watch will likely fall $500-1000, depending on the necessity. Granted, a watch will keep better value than a plasma TV or BMW 3-series, but to say definitively that a watch will hold or increase value is very misleading. Look at the Milguass GV, GMT-IIc, Daytona, and other "hot" watches that took a major dive over the last few years.
Old 8 December 2009, 11:29 AM   #54
DWdrummer
Banned

To ask someone how much something cost, shows a complete and utter lack of class. It is about the rudest thing one can ask as an outright question anyway.
Old 8 December 2009, 11:30 AM   #55
DWdrummer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
Considering cost of service and upkeep, watches really aren't terrific investments right now. If the watch hasn't had a recent service that is overdue, the price of that watch will likely fall $500-1000, depending on the necessity. Granted, a watch will keep better value than a plasma TV or BMW 3-series, but to say definitively that a watch will hold or increase value is very misleading. Look at the Milguass GV, GMT-IIc, Daytona, and other "hot" watches that took a major dive over the last few years.
I didn't look at things in that regard. You are correct though.
I always thought that over the long haul you could do rather well with a Submariner or any Rolex considering the near yearly price increases anyway.

I will still buy them cause I like them! It's only money and we can't take it with us right?
Old 8 December 2009, 11:41 AM   #56
Esquire
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Ceramic
Quote:
I didn't look at things in that regard. You are correct though.
I always thought that over the long haul you could do rather well with a Submariner or any Rolex considering the near yearly price increases anyway.

I will still buy them cause I like them! It's only money and we can't take it with us right?
Agreed!

I have made money on nearly every watch I sold. Most Rolex, IWC, Breitling, and other high-end (or perceived high-end) watches will hold their value if you do it right. Purchasing a Breitling from an AD and selling it on the secondary market is pretty much a guaranteed loss, but purchasing most watches on the secondary market and selling down the road could equate to a profit (or very little loss) and the perceived utility of wearing that watch for that span of time.
Old 8 December 2009, 12:04 PM   #57
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Oh well...I guess I'll just have to come to TRF to get my watch jollies. HAHAHAHA
Oh big time WIS jollies on here...enablers...all of you!!!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:05 PM   #58
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
To ask someone how much something cost, shows a complete and utter lack of class. It is about the rudest thing one can ask as an outright question anyway.
Asking about someones sex life ranks up there too.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 12:49 PM   #59
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Hey Sakuraba, long time. I am with you. Great to have the camaraderie with a WIS or someone who seems interested. A buddy of mine is planning on eventual Rolex purchase and it's fun giving him advice I have gleaned here.
Hey Bill!

How's it been? Glad this site has added to your knowledge. I read you've gotten a Mondani book (been lurking, but no time to post). That's a real good resource for the times when you spot Rolexes in the wild.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2009, 01:07 PM   #60
Damage Inc.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mechanical!!
I can think of 2 times someone has noticed what I was wearing.
1- at the bank getting a cashier's check for the closing funds on a ski condo we were buying. The teller simply said 'I like your watch...I'm hoping to get one like that someday.' I wished him the best of luck. (sincerely)
2- at an AD in Portland (OR). My wife and I walked in (jeans/t-shirt/flannel shirt) and started looking around. Just browsing, people left us alone...until the manager walked up, said hello, and said he had the perfect piece for my wife to compliment my IIc.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/watches/club/gmtoc.jpg
Z-serial GMT IIc
2.92M serial 1675 Pepsi
V-serial 16610LV
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote