The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2024, 03:41 AM   #31
Reign
"TRF" Member

Life’s too short. You have money, go enjoy it on something else and don’t play this made up game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:04 AM   #32
PalmBeacher83
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
According to your other posts you have also have a ROO 43mm taupe with minute creep? Was this also an auction buy / grey buy or did you buy it from a boutique?

Assuming you bought both at grey , I am guessing that
1. Not sticking to one boutique but doing boutique and SA hopping (all of which btw is logged into their CRM every time you visit)
2. Always asking for a RO
3. Buying pieces grey under MSRP but the wanting premium pieces at MSRP

doesn't necessarily make you the target customer for an SA to get you what you want...

I may be off here but if it's a final RO you want and you already have a Code and a ROO... Why not save yoursf trouble abd buy it grey also?
The code was bought at boutique. I asked for transfer from Geneva to Miami. I have been met with resistance at the Miami boutique regarding the transfer. The SA I am dealing with says it’s very hard to transfer and it feels like he won’t talk to me because I bought the code in Geneva.

The ROO was bought grey becuase I couldn’t get an allocation. Taupe dial.
PalmBeacher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:38 AM   #33
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBeacher83 View Post
I’ve played the game with AP. Gone into many boutiques, chatted with sales reps, I’ve put my name down for a RO, I’ve even bought a Code. Still, anytime I ask to buy a RO I’m told they don’t have any to sell me. I just left the boutique in London and I felt they weren’t even interested in talking to me. I had to lead the whole conversation. AP is going to seriously alienate customers soon with the sales tactics they employ.
In the first place, did the SA specifically indicate a RO allocation is guaranteed when you buy a CODE? Or did you get the idea from reading what CODE haters are always claiming like a broken record?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 07:51 AM   #34
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve played the game with AP. Gone into many boutiques, chatted with sales reps, I’ve put my name down for a RO, I’ve even bought a Code. Still, anytime I ask to buy a RO I’m told they don’t have any to sell me. I just left the boutique in London and I felt they weren’t even interested in talking to me. I had to lead the whole conversation. AP is going to seriously alienate customers soon with the sales tactics they employ.
Couple years ago, everyone was praising the Clippers front office for making great moves and seemingly playing chess while others were playing checkers. Well it turned out, while the Clippers were out there playing chess, the Lakers were out playing basketball and winning a championship. How does this relate to your experience at AP? it doesn’t really, but I see you’re from Florida and Lakers beat Miami in the finals that year

Anyway, while you might be thinking that you are playing chess and making great moves by talking to SA’s from across the road, the real game is to make one relationship with your home boutique. Anyone collecting APs has the money to travel and buy watches for significantly less money due to the strong USD and VAT refund. So your local SA won’t care too much about you spending your money at Geneva, where you likely saved some money and didn’t help out your local boutique’s P&L anyway. So they have very little reason to prioritize your business over others with longer purchase history. UK obviously doesn’t haven VAT refund anymore, but they still primarily focus on local clients like most boutiques do

In conclusion, there are valid reasons to get pissed at AP, but most here would argue that you haven’t actually been playing the right “game” yet to warrant getting pissed. Now that’s not to say you aren’t entitled to feel however you want to feel, but there are many collectors here who have bought way more at their local boutiques (with no VAT refunds) who still haven’t gotten the pieces they wanted yet due to the demand in their local markets
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 12:19 PM   #35
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Visiting multiple boutiques isn't going to get you anywhere. Stick with one boutique and SA. Work that relationship. You've already been tied to an SA and boutique as far as AP is concerned. If the location is too far, you need to request a transfer of boutiques with them. Buying under retail pieces via grey dealers in the meantime isn't going to help your cause either. Sure, a hot or discontinued piece you bought at a premium can show commitment and passion for the brand. Under retail pieces bought grey and asking for premium pieces at retail does not fit the type of clients they want to build relationships with. Just my 2 cents.

Wish you the best of luck in your quest for your RO. I just think you might need to change up your strategy a bit to get you where you want to go.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 02:01 PM   #36
dauster
"TRF" Member

Just buy grey I’m even tempted to get the code at this price - not even worth the strategic effort you putting into this!!!

https://nashvillewatch.com/product/a...-15210or-2023/

https://nashvillewatch.com/product/a...-15720st-2023/

https://nashvillewatch.com/product/a...-15550st-2022/

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 04:47 PM   #37
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
The code was bought at boutique. I asked for transfer from Geneva to Miami. I have been met with resistance at the Miami boutique regarding the transfer. The SA I am dealing with says it’s very hard to transfer and it feels like he won’t talk to me because I bought the code in Geneva.

The ROO was bought grey becuase I couldn’t get an allocation. Taupe dial.
If I’m honest I don’t really get your situation. In the U.K. we only have 3 locations at present and I was in contact with Harrods and didn’t feel I was getting anywhere, so I switched to AP House and have been there ever since.

I don’t think that contacting various locations will be of benefit to you, try again with Miami. Book in to see them, be totally honest about your situation and how you feel in limbo and build a relationship with them. It might be slow to start, but it will develop. Be polite and friendly and take it from there.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 06:15 PM   #38
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
If I’m honest I don’t really get your situation. In the U.K. we only have 3 locations at present and I was in contact with Harrods and didn’t feel I was getting anywhere, so I switched to AP House and have been there ever since.

I don’t think that contacting various locations will be of benefit to you, try again with Miami. Book in to see them, be totally honest about your situation and how you feel in limbo and build a relationship with them. It might be slow to start, but it will develop. Be polite and friendly and take it from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Visiting multiple boutiques isn't going to get you anywhere. Stick with one boutique and SA. Work that relationship. You've already been tied to an SA and boutique as far as AP is concerned. If the location is too far, you need to request a transfer of boutiques with them. Buying under retail pieces via grey dealers in the meantime isn't going to help your cause either. Sure, a hot or discontinued piece you bought at a premium can show commitment and passion for the brand. Under retail pieces bought grey and asking for premium pieces at retail does not fit the type of clients they want to build relationships with. Just my 2 cents.

Wish you the best of luck in your quest for your RO. I just think you might need to change up your strategy a bit to get you where you want to go.

This x 3
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:20 PM   #39
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Wondering why in these tales of woe it always takes a page or two for the salient details to emerge
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #40
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
I am so sorry for you. It's frustrating. I understand completely.

Why don't you ask directly why you can't buy the RO. Ask for transparency!

In 2019 I desperately wanted the then launched 15500 and ordered it at the AP boutique by email. They called me and we had some sort of "interview". I was deemed "worthy" because in 2022 I got the call. Still happy and grateful about that.

A few weeks later, so still 2022, I asked for the ROO in baby blue, Ref. 26238ST.OO.A340CA.01.
My boutique contact said she would put me on the list but we are now more than 2 full years further and nothing.

Thinking about it I believe I destroyed all my changes by arriving at the boutique in shorts, with my 3 young kids and wife. I was deemed "not worthy'" anymore. I accepted it and moved on. It is what it is.

It's a strange world and sometimes we just have to let it go.
Ha. I’ve never shown up dressed other than shorts, flip flops and a t shirt. Got RO in 2021 as my first AP.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 02:11 AM   #41
WatchGuy1337
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldad View Post
Buy a code for 30-40% less. Jumbo at 10-20% above and Royal Oak at more or less the retail price.
Where are Royal Oaks being sold near MSRP?
WatchGuy1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 04:15 AM   #42
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
Where are Royal Oaks being sold near MSRP?

Probably 20% premium or so

https://www.europeanwatch.com/watch/...l-4-53370.html

Old 23 June 2024, 10:08 AM   #43
WatchGuy1337
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
That's 83% over the MSRP for that watch when it was retired. I guess if you're comparing it to a 15510 as being "equivalent", then it's a 22% difference, but all told, I'm not sure I consider that "close to MSRP", especially given the age of the watch. Personally, I'm hoping prices come down a bit more.
WatchGuy1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 10:56 AM   #44
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Visiting multiple boutiques isn't going to get you anywhere. Stick with one boutique and SA. Work that relationship. You've already been tied to an SA and boutique as far as AP is concerned.
While traveling, I went into a VC boutique that was not the closest one to me. I told them I wanted an Overseas Retrograde and I really felt the SA was humoring me because it was easier than saying "no chance." My nearest boutique was saying that it would be at least 12 months since they already had two people with deposits ahead of me. But out of the blue, I got a message to call the original boutique and long story short, someone backed out and I was offered the watch.

So while this may not exactly apply to AP and the OP's situation, having a connection at more than one boutique maybe helpful in some situations. It really seems like a lot of this is SA-dependent.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:21 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
That's 83% over the MSRP for that watch when it was retired. I guess if you're comparing it to a 15510 as being "equivalent", then it's a 22% difference, but all told, I'm not sure I consider that "close to MSRP", especially given the age of the watch. Personally, I'm hoping prices come down a bit more.

Plenty of 15500 in the mid 30s as well but yes I was comparing it to the 15510 retail not really fair to compare it to the 15400 retail pricing but maybe I’m wrong

Old 23 June 2024, 12:54 PM   #46
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
So it seems that consensus is to not switch SAs. I’ve grown frustrated with mine and a few weeks back, called an SA from another boutique that a friend had some luck with. I never received a return call. Could this get back to my original SA or am I just being paranoid? Sad that I am thinking this way, when all I want to do is spend my hard earned money on a watch.

60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 04:20 PM   #47
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
While traveling, I went into a VC boutique that was not the closest one to me. I told them I wanted an Overseas Retrograde and I really felt the SA was humoring me because it was easier than saying "no chance." My nearest boutique was saying that it would be at least 12 months since they already had two people with deposits ahead of me. But out of the blue, I got a message to call the original boutique and long story short, someone backed out and I was offered the watch.

So while this may not exactly apply to AP and the OP's situation, having a connection at more than one boutique maybe helpful in some situations. It really seems like a lot of this is SA-dependent.
VC works very differently from AP.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 10:43 PM   #48
vliberman
"TRF" Member

So AP won’t sell watches to some here and rather than be a men/ women with developed sense of self worth, who just moves on and buys something more horologically or otherwise interesting, we get 2 pages of self pity and endless rationalizations….such is the state of of horological world these days!
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:29 PM   #49
Pboned
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Sorry to hear. Hopefully you wanted the code and didn't buy it for the chance to buy a RO.
Pboned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 01:36 AM   #50
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
So AP won’t sell watches to some here and rather than be a men/ women with developed sense of self worth, who just moves on and buys something more horologically or otherwise interesting, we get 2 pages of self pity and endless rationalizations….such is the state of of horological world these days!
This is a watch forum. People talk about watches - good, bad or indifferent. People can choose to read it and move on, read it and comment or simply move on.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 03:35 AM   #51
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
This is a watch forum. People talk about watches - good, bad or indifferent. People can choose to read it and move on, read it and comment or simply move on.
And reflect on what is written
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 03:40 AM   #52
Rogerusp
"TRF" Member

Premium for RO is getting smaller and smaller and Code 11.59 are trading 40-50% off. Buy a code just to have the chance of buying a RO makes very little sense these days.
Rogerusp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 04:42 AM   #53
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerusp View Post
Premium for RO is getting smaller and smaller and Code 11.59 are trading 40-50% off. Buy a code just to have the chance of buying a RO makes very little sense these days.

Actually great point. You can get the new Code 11.59 qt at ~27k, which is a discount of around $13k from retail. And even on TRF a mint 15510 runs you in the high 30s. So you'd literally be better off buying both grey, having them the next day at the same final price and moving on vs begging / "showing your interest" and buying a full price code for the faint hope of getting your RO
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 06:20 AM   #54
Jones.nl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
Had the same experience. Bahhh
Jones.nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:28 AM   #55
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Actually great point. You can get the new Code 11.59 qt at ~27k, which is a discount of around $13k from retail. And even on TRF a mint 15510 runs you in the high 30s. So you'd literally be better off buying both grey, having them the next day at the same final price and moving on vs begging / "showing your interest" and buying a full price code for the faint hope of getting your RO
If all you want from AP is one date and time RO…for sure.

It is like Rolex…if all you want is a sub or Daytona and then you are done, don’t go to the AD get and forced to purchase multiple pieces of jewelry before you can get a watch.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:07 PM   #56
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sec View Post
So it seems that consensus is to not switch SAs. I’ve grown frustrated with mine and a few weeks back, called an SA from another boutique that a friend had some luck with. I never received a return call. Could this get back to my original SA or am I just being paranoid? Sad that I am thinking this way, when all I want to do is spend my hard earned money on a watch.

I switched boutique at a recommendation of a friend. Perhaps your friend can make an introduction. I did that and the new SA confirmed that I would like to transfer to that boutique and it worked better.

Internally, apparently they would just request a transfer from the original boutique you were dealing with.
PreferHackingSeconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #57
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
If all you want from AP is one date and time RO…for sure.

It is like Rolex…if all you want is a sub or Daytona and then you are done, don’t go to the AD get and forced to purchase multiple pieces of jewelry before you can get a watch.
When people start blaming AP for selling a Code, it is as if no jewellery or ladies watches were pushed to you to get Daytonas and Nautiluses.

Man, why can't I just like my Code and why must everything be about resale value. At least with AP, they have never hinted me to buy anything I didn't like and every watch I have ever bought is a nice watch that I truly enjoy.
PreferHackingSeconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 12:56 PM   #58
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreferHackingSeconds View Post
I switched boutique at a recommendation of a friend. Perhaps your friend can make an introduction. I did that and the new SA confirmed that I would like to transfer to that boutique and it worked better.

Internally, apparently they would just request a transfer from the original boutique you were dealing with.

Thank you! That’s really helpful!!

60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 11:32 AM   #59
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
I am so sorry for you. It's frustrating. I understand completely.

Why don't you ask directly why you can't buy the RO. Ask for transparency!

In 2019 I desperately wanted the then launched 15500 and ordered it at the AP boutique by email. They called me and we had some sort of "interview". I was deemed "worthy" because in 2022 I got the call. Still happy and grateful about that.

A few weeks later, so still 2022, I asked for the ROO in baby blue, Ref. 26238ST.OO.A340CA.01.
My boutique contact said she would put me on the list but we are now more than 2 full years further and nothing.

Thinking about it I believe I destroyed all my changes by arriving at the boutique in shorts, with my 3 young kids and wife. I was deemed "not worthy'" anymore. I accepted it and moved on. It is what it is.

It's a strange world and sometimes we just have to let it go.
Yikes you think so?
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 09:40 PM   #60
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
but the speculators and people that didn't really want the watch in the first place (just to make a buck) are the only ones that will go away.
That is not true at all. Many true collectors do not buy into buying something else to get what they want, myself included. I am not saying I am going away but I am certainly not going to buy a Code I do not want in order to get another reference I do. It is in fact turning a lot of people off and I do believe eventually they will have to make an adjustment here.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote