The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 June 2024, 10:25 AM   #31
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Stolen in transit wtf... How do they even ship those watches, do they use regular postal service?
What kind of question is that? IDC what kind of shipping service is used, be it expedited service, UPS/Fedex guaranteed service or even by messenger courier service, packages do still get lost or missing. That's dumb to think that just because you ship it with a certain carrier or a certain guaranteed service then nothing will get lost in transit.
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:35 AM   #32
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyandwet View Post
What kind of question is that? IDC what kind of shipping service is used, be it expedited service, UPS/Fedex guaranteed service or even by messenger courier service, packages do still get lost or missing. That's dumb to think that just because you ship it with a certain carrier or a certain guaranteed service then nothing will get lost in transit.

Agree with this. There are no guarantees, but there is insurance. I sell a lot of watches, and always use the USPS. I’ve never had any issues.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:41 AM   #33
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Agree with this. There are no guarantees, but there is insurance. I sell a lot of watches, and always use the USPS. I’ve never had any issues.

Kat

Ditto. I’ve sold a dozen watches in the last year or so, all through eBay, all shipped USPS with no complications.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 12:46 PM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
OP is in the UK. No USPS there as far as I know. :D
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 08:26 PM   #35
domi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, BLRO...
looking for NOS, your 16600 is nicer than the new sd43
domi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 09:42 PM   #36
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

USPS Express Mail lost a Rolex DD of mine about 2 years ago (showed up for sale later in NY). Should had used USPS Register mail, but wanted a faster delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 09:59 PM   #37
alllexandru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsbadco View Post
new model if I prefer.
Quote:
I don't want a watch that has been owned by someone else

Quote:
I'd owned it from new and was able to pass it on to one of my sons.
Sorry for your loss, nothing will replace your sentimental value.

As you already said, the way is go new, you will be the first owner and also pass it to your sons.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:06 PM   #38
Meg007
"TRF" Member

Tell them you want a Daytona steel white dial. That will make you happy. Unbelievable buddy.
Meg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:09 PM   #39
Explorer2polar
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR , Sub C, Exp
Sorry to hear this has happened to you, my choice would be the New Sub LV as the the new Sea dweller is a beast and to big IMHO.
Explorer2polar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:11 PM   #40
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry to hear about this. There is no replacement but you have no choice. I do not know the value of your watch but would think it is significant for most of us. I would inquire of the AD as to how much the watch was insured for. This figure will let you know what you should be looking at watch wise. If they insured the watch for 15k, arbitrary on my part not knowing, Then you have 15k to use toward another watch. Remember that AD's pay 62% of the listed retail on new watches. So if you get a Submariner or GMT or any other for around the 15k retail they are actually making money off of your loss when they give you a new watch, depending on the value. This is where it gets tricky, get the watch and take the additional funds back in cash or another watch. I hope this is the offer without you telling them this but be ready to have this conversation. If they offered you a very desirable watch, SS Daytona-C/BLRO/Blue Sky-Dweller on Jubilee then maybe I would let some of the funds go for those models because the second hand values are so high. I would not take a pre-owned watch as the margins are off and you do not know what you are getting. Good luck and let us know how this plays out.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:20 PM   #41
KBM

Very sorry to hear.

Here is a NOS example for sale, for a reasonable price, from a reputable dealer.

https://vintageworn.com/products/16600-sea-dweller-nos

Good luck!

KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2024, 11:46 PM   #42
77T

Stolen Watch

We all empathize with your feelings of lost memories as well as the watch.

Your rights would be better explained by an attorney in England. I presume the AD in Leeds posted it to Kings Hill via commercial carrier or Royal Mail?

The AD offer of a replacement at your choice is most accommodating. The other option would be cash value which wouldn't likely meet your expectations.

You also could report it to the police and file a theft report directly with Rolex. Then, in case it is recovered, you could return the replacement to the AD and clear the watch so you could be reunited with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 04:16 AM   #43
Jake Sully
"TRF" Member

Tell them you would like a white faced Daytona.
Jake Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 04:38 AM   #44
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
OK I'll be the third one to suggest that they give you are nice new Daytona. White dial ceramic naturally
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 05:13 AM   #45
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach69SS View Post
Sorry to hear this, I would go in to dealer and try out the new SD and any other models you fancy, then decide which piece works for you. There is nothing that can replace your watch or the sentimental value you had with it.

That said; I don’t know the laws in the UK as far as liability and sentimental value.
As long as the dealer is being reasonable with the value and not trying to take advantage of you. Work with them to find a solution that is a Win-Win for both of you.

These things happen and it is not their fault, the world is messed up and people do these type of things to others.

Best of luck.

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 07:11 AM   #46
rmsbadco
"TRF" Member

I can't thank everyone enough for the comments, support and advice.
The dealer has offered me either
A replacement second hand same/similar model or
A new Sea Dweller or
A new Submariner
BUT - I don't want a used watch back. I'd owned the one they lost from new in 1999, still got box, papers, service history and all the memories..
I don't like the new Sea Dweller as much
Submariner is worth less and I preferred the flat face of the original Sea Dweller.
Plus non of the above make me feel in any way compensated for losing something of such sentimental value that I left in their care trusting their security arrangements.
rmsbadco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2024, 10:34 AM   #47
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would ask them for the insurance proceeds if you don't want a Submariner.
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 03:26 AM   #48
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
My suggestions:

1) Inquire about how it was lost / stolen, because this is unusual. Suspicion has to fall on the carrier they used. It is usual to send high value items by courier tracked delivery - is it being investigated?

2) Make sure the loss is registered with Rolex - report this to Rolex UK (phone them up and speak to them yourself).

3) Reserve the right to reclaim your original watch if ever it is handed in, as there is a chance it will find its way back to RSC for service one day. And the right to pay current retail value to keep the replacement watch too. Get it in writing, as it may be many years before your watch turns up.

4) In future it may be best to take a trip to London and hand in your watch to Rolex St James in person.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 04:08 AM   #49
reposado
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A new Sea Dweller or
A new Submariner
BUT - I don't want a used watch back. I'd owned the one they lost from new in 1999, still got box, papers, service history and all the memories..
Submariner is worth less and I preferred the flat face of the original Sea Dweller.
Plus non of the above make me feel in any way compensated for losing something of such sentimental value that I left in their care trusting their security arrangements.
The new Submariner is a pretty great watch, have you had chance to try one? Would they plump for a bluesy?
reposado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 09:33 AM   #50
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
A new Sea Dweller or
A new Submariner

I’m sorry this happened to you but I’m not sure what you’re expecting. It’s not your AD’s job to personally deliver your watch to Rolex. That’s what shipping services are for, and that’s why packages are insured.

What do you want?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 09:47 AM   #51
rmsbadco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
I’m sorry this happened to you but I’m not sure what you’re expecting. It’s not your AD’s job to personally deliver your watch to Rolex. That’s what shipping services are for, and that’s why packages are insured.

What do you want?

I have trusted them with my watch. They have lost it.
Of course it's their job to deliver it to Rolex. If they have used a courier that is unreliable or not ensured that adequate security is in place it's their fault.
I don't know what I want that's what I'm on here. For advice on what I should/can expect.
rmsbadco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 10:18 AM   #52
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
A new Sea Dweller or
A new Submariner
The options that the AD has presented you sound quite reasonable. With respect to your memories they can’t be monetized and the AD has offered appropriate modern equivalents to the model that you lost. If none of those options suit you perhaps you can ask them if you can make a lateral trade of the most expensive watch they offered to an equivalently priced model that appeals to you more.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 12:32 PM   #53
chris242

Watch: 116610lv
Memories can’t be replaced. However, you have some good options to pick from and im sure they would give you more options to if you’re not pleased with what they offer. Go in, try them on and go with your gut. Don’t worry about which one is worth more or less, whatever you get now will have a higher retail than what you paid. So, get over the mishap with letting them replace it with something new. Something you will make lots of new memories with..this might be the start of a great relationship with this AD

chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 12:55 PM   #54
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Stolen Watch

Quote:
Of course it's their job to deliver it to Rolex. If they have used a courier that is unreliable or not ensured that adequate security is in place it's their fault.
I don't know what I want that's what I'm on here. For advice on what I should/can expect.

You can and should ask them how exactly it was shipped, details like carrier, tracking number and amount that it was insured for, but remember that these stores send and receive watches all the time.

Even though the package was lost or stolen, you have no reason to believe they used an unreliable carrier or that security was inadequate (in fact, it’s likely there was no security). It would be normal and acceptable for them to ship it by common carrier in a simple unmarked box with insurance.

You’re unlikely to prove your AD did anything wrong. As others have said, what they’re offering seems quite fair.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 08:35 PM   #55
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
You feel wronged, I get it. They most likely insured their package. They will get the funds for the carriers liability and then use those funds to buy you a watch. I would want a new one ASAP. They probably want to wait until all the paperwork is done and the funds are in their bank account before they get you your watch. I would go in this weekend and get this done on your timeline and not theirs.
Old 13 June 2024, 09:13 PM   #56
chris007
"TRF" Member

I will ask for a NEW OLD STOCK Seadweller 16600!
chris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2024, 09:24 PM   #57
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris007 View Post
I will ask for a NEW OLD STOCK Seadweller 16600!
Or a NOS SD4k 116600

Both these models though rare but sometimes pop up in grey dealers. I was able to snag one.
Old 13 June 2024, 09:27 PM   #58
chris007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
Or a NOS SD4k 116600

Both these models though rare but sometimes pop up in grey dealers. I was able to snag one.
Actually 4 16600 NOS for sale on Chrono24 in the UK!
chris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2024, 03:50 AM   #59
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Get a new one. Wear it as long as you can before giving it away.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote