The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2024, 07:58 AM   #31
Masteryacht
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622,BLNR,116500
I like it, but that speedmaster is too pricey, IMO.
Masteryacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 09:17 AM   #32
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Logic aside, if each of those two watches magically appeared in my watch box and I asked myself which one I would wear first the answer is hands down the Daytona, even though I’m not a Daytona fan I am a Rolex fan. I already have a black Speedmaster that I love but never wear, paid $3700 for it new before covid so I almost can’t afford to sell it and it’s no effort to keep it in the watch box. Don’t need another in a different color.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 09:37 AM   #33
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is special piece and will always be one and although I don’t agree with Rolex prices they are way too overpriced for what they are , like most luxury watches brands are. Omega’s were once very reasonably priced even the Speedy. But Omega has followed Rolex and other luxury brands with price increases and people continue to buy. So it’s all a matter of perspective and what you willing pay, I’m guilty of this and I have pieces that cost 1/2 of a Rolex and look and wear the same.

They are just not the King and don’t have the swag.

Rolex quality and finish are above Omega in many ways, However , Omega is not far behind and manufactures an excellent product. I don’t know about made in China?

I have both and have likes and dislikes with both. Either one is an excellent choice regardless of the price or the future value. Watches are never an investment, some will go up and most will go down in value. Like any material item, we buy things to enjoy them and how they make us feel.

So buy and wear what you want! Daytona, Speedy…..

Cheers,
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:03 AM   #34
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the Omega beats the Rolex in every way except after market value. I do think the black dial speedmaster is more legible than the white dial version.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:12 AM   #35
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdc View Post
Have the black dial Daytona and white dial speedy. Both are fantastic watches! The Daytona is head and shoulders above the Speedy in terms of fit and finish, size, comfort, etc. Plus it's waterproof.... unlike the Speedy regardless of its stated ratings. Rolex just looks better overall in my opinion compared to Omega. The Speedy is still a great watch though and much nearer to being appropriately priced. My Daytona.. well all of them I've had including full gold, RG OF, and now steel have all been from my AD. Probably overpriced even at the AD, certainly on the secondary. But I don't set the prices the market does and if that is what the market demands for one on the secondary then so be it. Worth doesn't have anything to do with it really. It is just what someone else is willing to pay, that's all that matters.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 12:13 PM   #36
trailblazer68
"TRF" Member

except for legibility issues on the Daytona, it feels more substantial on hand than the speedy..but its pissing to hear the AD talk on low supply and stock aplenty in the grey market.
I would get 1 but surely not for reading time nor using the chrono, it will be purely for the pleasure of owning and a wrist accessory that holds its value.
Which is probably the reason why omega hasnt gotten me to get anything since my defunct seamaster chrono, they got near everytime but it just never gets there.
trailblazer68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 12:47 PM   #37
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Perception is powerful..and expensive

I don’t know. I feel like it’s apples and oranges. I get their both iconic chronographs. But they’re just not on the same tier.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that a SS Submariner and a standard Speedmaster are more comparable to each other.

FWIW, I have a Speedmaster and Submariner and love both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 01:00 PM   #38
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
The retail on that 126500LN Daytona in oystersteel is only $15,100, not $34,675. False equivalency.
No they listed the market price of both pieces the speedy is under $9k retail so it is an equivalent comparison
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 01:03 PM   #39
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
One has a very accurate and reliable movement that will function worry free for years to come.

The other has a crown on the dial

(Just a bit of fun guys, don’t get out the flame throwers please lol)
Then why make a false statement. 3861 movement is newer than the architecture of the Daytona movement that has been around since 2000
Old 24 October 2024, 01:07 PM   #40
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Diablo View Post
I own each of these pieces...
Each is unique in its own way and I admire them both.

Daytona is automatic Vs. manual Speedy
Daytona finishing is better... and feels more lux.

Speedy has open case back displaying the 3861

You can get a Speedy at the Ad... Good luck getting a Daytona.
Daytona sells for 2x MSRP in the secondary market... you can get a brand new speedy for 15%-20% discount. Not the white one yet.

While I love the Speedy... The Daytona wins for me.
Have you lived with a 3861 movement? When you use the chrono it jumps 2-3 seconds upon initiation about half the time. Not even consistently. Column wheel chrono don’t jump at all. The movement does look good. I have one but it doesn’t compare in the quality department. Also the bracelet is nice, but when changing links what a pain with tiny screws and still push rods under the screws? Come on
Old 24 October 2024, 01:09 PM   #41
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedime View Post
No chronograph can match the Speedmaster Professional…black or white dial…in instant legibility. That is one of the shining beauties of the Pro. Beyond that…of course, this bring a Rolex forum, most people here will state they prefer the Daytona to the Speedmaster. Myself, as much as I love certain Rolexes (mostly vintage Classics, and 5–digit-and-earlier GMT Master II’s), I very much prefer Speedmasters to Daytonas, so much so that I have been offered Daytonas (as well as various incarnations of Tudor chronos) by my AD and turned the opportunities down. So, for those who say they don’t know anyone who would turn down a Daytona at retail vs a Speedmaster…pleased to make your acquaintance. As others have stated, these are all luxury wants, far removed from life’s necessities…wear what *you* like…like what *you* wear…
I guarantee the Daytonas you got offered weren’t all steel
Old 24 October 2024, 10:23 PM   #42
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting discussion. This is really a post about cost which equates to money. Leave that out and we fall back to personal opinion about movements, finish and wear. I don't think it is a discussion because based on price, either retail or secondary, the Daytona and the Speedmaster are not going head to head. For me, neither, even though I have owned them all on both sides of the discussion.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:32 PM   #43
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Of course it’s a predictable outcome … post this move over on the Omega forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:32 PM   #44
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I have owned a white 500 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I found it to have legibility issues in many lighting conditions.
Careful what you say on here. When I mentioned this I was told to go buy a Casio. Think I'll take the white Speedmaster professional instead.

Congratulations.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:33 PM   #45
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
Have you lived with a 3861 movement? When you use the chrono it jumps 2-3 seconds upon initiation about half the time. Not even consistently. Column wheel chrono don’t jump at all. The movement does look good. I have one but it doesn’t compare in the quality department. Also the bracelet is nice, but when changing links what a pain with tiny screws and still push rods under the screws? Come on
As a side note, there is solid logic behind the small screws and center axle rod. The screws have no tension on them, no friction, no movement. They are way less, like by a lot less, likely to ever back out of the link. The rod connects the links without any extra restriction and allows the links to rotate better. Are the small screws a PITA? Yes, very much so, but they serve a legit purpose.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 10:37 PM   #46
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Careful what you say on here. When I mentioned this I was told to go buy a Casio. Think I'll take the white Speedmaster professional instead.

Congratulations.
Right? Disrespecting the 500 is borderline blasphemy. I get why others like it, it is pretty, just doesn't suit my other requirements in a timepiece.

This thread really wasn't meant to be a bash one or the other. I just am always struck by the magnificent premium the Daytona takes over other semi-comparable pieces.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 11:11 PM   #47
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgames View Post
Retail vs Retail the daytona premium is 100% worth it. I dont know a single person that would turn down a daytona at retail for a speedy..

I do love the speedmaster white dial, but it just isn't the white dial daytona.
Sure, I would take the Daytona at retail if I could immediately flip it. However, if neither the Daytona nor the white Speedmaster sold above retail on the secondary market, then I would take the Speedmaster 100% of the time, even if the Daytona cost less. My first (but not only) criterion on selecting a watch is how it looks, and I think the Speedmaster is a better-looking watch than the Daytona. The prestige of the Daytona is meaningless to me, and any marginal improvement in the fit and finish of the Daytona would not outweigh my preference for the appearance of the Speedmaster. While I don't own the white Speedmaster, I've tried it on, and it was a great fit for my wrist, so the slight increase in thickness is not an issue. And the water resistance difference is irrelevant, as I would never swim with either watch.
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2024, 11:48 PM   #48
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Have both and love them equally but for different reasons. One thing I know for sure is when I see a speedy on someone’s wrist I know he’s a true watch guy. When I see a guy wearing a Daytona I never really know, but after a few minutes of conversation I usually figure out he’s just a “watch bro” and more interested in brands than watches. I know which guy I’d rather hang out with.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM   #49
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
As a side note, there is solid logic behind the small screws and center axle rod. The screws have no tension on them, no friction, no movement. They are way less, like by a lot less, likely to ever back out of the link. The rod connects the links without any extra restriction and allows the links to rotate better. Are the small screws a PITA? Yes, very much so, but they serve a legit purpose.
That’s interesting information
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:59 AM   #50
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
One thing I know for sure is when I see a speedy on someone’s wrist I know he’s a true watch guy.
Ah yes, the coveted title in the watch world - "a true watch guy."

gamingdoctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #51
928ktgold

Quote:
Got it
Old Yesterday, 02:03 AM   #52
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore66 View Post
Have both and love them equally but for different reasons. One thing I know for sure is when I see a speedy on someone’s wrist I know he’s a true watch guy. When I see a guy wearing a Daytona I never really know, but after a few minutes of conversation I usually figure out he’s just a “watch bro” and more interested in brands than watches. I know which guy I’d rather hang out with.

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 AM   #53
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

The stars of this thread...
panda-omega.jpg
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:14 AM   #54
edyu

Tbh both are hyped.
One is hyped on 2 dead actors and the other hyped on a landing that happened more than 50 years ago. (No disrespect to any just stating facts.)

Tbh for many younger people (not young just younger), none of these mattered that much.
For example when I was in HS, I was reading about James Dean and I could care less. A lot of those are generational.

Now if we take all those away, for my smaller wrist, Daytona wears smaller and has an automatic movement that has better tactile feel compared to Speedmaster so I prefer that. But know that being a social animal, we invariably get influenced by others regardless how independent thinking we are so the amount of hype on different items would be different hence price will be different.
edyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:15 AM   #55
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

You’re less likely to be robbed for your Speedmaster, which is an unfortunate reality today. I have friends in certain cities who don’t wear half of their watches because it simply isn’t worth the risk.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM   #56
sambb
"TRF" Member

I think the speedy in all forms (that are handwound), are iconic and truly an important part of any collection for an interested party. The black face one is still my favorite, and i like the portions far better than the daytona. Its a totally different experience than a daytona. Additionally, if for a lady, i think the daytona proportions are preferable to the speedy. In the end it is a great timepiece for an interested party, and it is fun to read about the history of the piece.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM   #57
DVDA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I have a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and Omega Speedmaster Broad arrow Co-Axial. I love them they are great. I wear them more often than my Rolexes but I don't have a Daytona to compare. I'll be forever on a waitlist probably.
DVDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM   #58
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Both excellent watches, no need to diss on either. The Daytona for me is the "superior" watch overall, taking into consideration durability, water resistance, reliability and wearability etc. The speedy for me is the more "interesting" watch where u can dress it up on a Nato or other kinds of straps and have that see through back to enjoy the manual wound movement. I have both and like both. I wear the Speedy the most as its the most fun, but if I had to take one and wear it forever, probably choose the Daytona if that makes sense.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:07 AM   #59
belmate85
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT
If I was able to walk into an AD and purchase a SS Daytona, it’s the winner. But I can’t, so the white speedmaster wins.
belmate85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #60
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmate85 View Post
If I was able to walk into an AD and purchase a SS Daytona, it’s the winner. But I can’t, so the white speedmaster wins.
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote