The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2020, 08:26 PM   #31
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
If you bought it from a reputable source, you have nothing to worry about. Send it in.

In the unlikely event it was in fact stolen. Pay your reputable source a visit with receipt in hand because they will need to make things right.
This.

Also if RSC's did in fact return watches to people when they knew it was stolen there would be something wrong there.

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 08:37 PM   #32
Chuckwagon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko,Casio,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18078pres View Post
How does Rolex get the intel that in fact its stolen ? Is it just a notification from the owner ? Or a police report ? If they tell me my watch is stolen and take it from me they better damn well prove it with documented facts that it is stolen !!!! They're not a law enforcement agency .
I believe the way it works is that if your watch is stolen, you can notify Rolex and they will add it to their database, so that if ever the watch is handed in for service (and there’s a reasonable hopeful chance of that, as mechanical watches will need service at some point and given Rolex’s control over servicing and parts), then they will involve the police to establish rightful ownership. They will only add it if you provide evidence with a police report documentation, obviously you can’t just phone them and claim that your watch is stolen without any proof.
Chuckwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 10:09 PM   #33
gramo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
I purchased a Submariner, no box or papers from a local Jeweler. They have a good reputation, and have been in business for a long time. Its time for a service, and I want the Rolex Warranty, however after reading horror stories I am reluctant to send to RSC. Suppose it was on their Black List as a stolen watch, Insurance would not cover it, and I would be out a 116610. How true is this "stolen watch" blacklist? What should I do? I am fine with an independent but I want the Rolex warranty and card, RSC receipt in case I ever sell or trade the watch.
Is there a national website that you could check to see if the watch is stolen first, if then the watch is stolen you can then take it back to were you had bought it from with supporting evidence.

What website do pawnbrokers use to check stolen watches?
gramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:15 AM   #34
Xenon
Banned

If the watch is stolen property then legally it is the property of the original buyer and not the second hand buyer.

The original owner can legally make the final decision as to the final outcome.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:21 AM   #35
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126333
At this point in time, with Rolexes skyrocketing yearly, there definitely should be a public, global, central database for stolen watches, imo.
No reason not too, other than the non revenue source of overhead, hosting it.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:28 AM   #36
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
You say you are reluctant to send the watch to a RSC because they may keep it if it is stolen so I assume you believe there is a possibility it might be stolen.
Why did you purchase it in that case?
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:34 AM   #37
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
In the US no-one acquires title to stolen personal property. The legal title remains with the rightful owner. Even subsequent bona fide purchasers for value only are deemed "trustees" for the rightful owner.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:38 AM   #38
Walts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
I believe the way it works is that if your watch is stolen, you can notify Rolex and they will add it to their database, so that if ever the watch is handed in for service (and there’s a reasonable hopeful chance of that, as mechanical watches will need service at some point and given Rolex’s control over servicing and parts), then they will involve the police to establish rightful ownership. They will only add it if you provide evidence with a police report documentation, obviously you can’t just phone them and claim that your watch is stolen without any proof.
I don't think you can simply tell
Rolex my watch has been stolen .You have to have an official police report . If the theft was covered by insurance the watch becomes the property of the insurance company
Walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:41 AM   #39
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
In the US no-one acquires title to stolen personal property. The legal title remains with the rightful owner. Even subsequent bona fide purchasers for value only are deemed "trustees" for the rightful owner.
Yes but if the watch has been re-sold multiple times prior to being stolen, the then "titled" owner will be next to impossible to figure out whom it is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 12:43 AM   #40
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
At this point in time, with Rolexes skyrocketing yearly, there definitely should be a public, global, central database for stolen watches, imo.
No reason not too, other than the non revenue source of overhead, hosting it.

Maybe we should start a business Tom

Everyone ... start sending your watches to us for authentication $100 please
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:01 AM   #41
GMT Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theCAPE View Post
How long was this process and also did you still have to pay for the service. How did this go?

The whole process from memory took about 2.5 months.

RSC were gutted for me that they had to withhold the watch because it had flagged up on their stolen database, but they have a process which I believe to be the correct and rightful thing to do.

The dealer was also gutted and went through with me the whole history he knew of the watch, because he had obtained it in a trade with a long standing and loyal customer of his over many years.

The dealer established from his client who owned the watch prior to me that it had been obtained at a watch fair in Vienna in approx 2012, again from a reputable dealer operating at the fair.

The point of all this, is paperwork or not, these things remain in the market and circulate whether we like it or not. Even reputable dealers get bitten from time to time as in this case. It’s just unavoidable.

What also needs to be born in mind is that not all watches flagged as stolen have in fact been stolen at all. They could be the result of a fraudulent insurance claim to get cash and then sold later on to a reputable dealer with all their papers intact, or they could be flagged as stolen after an acrimonious break up of a marriage or partnership. Don’t think it doesn’t happen, because it does.

I always do due diligence on any watch I purchase. In my case, one of the members here who is a leading authority on counterfeit watches managed to run a check on my watch using an FBI database and it came up clean, even though RSC claimed otherwise in the first instance.

Although RSC would not divulge what process they followed to assess the watches status, it is my belief through conversation with them, they contacted the German Police department direct where the record of the watch being stolen in 2004 was originally filed. This came up as ambiguous, despite the original report, the watch wasn’t on any other known stolen database whether with the FBI in the USA, or with known records with Interpol.

In summary, Rolex had a doubt based on historical filed reports which could then not be verified after a 4-5 week investigation.

I paid to have the watch serviced, and Rolex then registered the watch to me as the rightful owner and keeper and I received a new warranty card to that effect. At that point once all parties were happy, the watch was removed as being stolen from their database.

One of my golden rules if I ever buy a second hand Rolex, is it goes straight to RSC for service and I only ever pay for the watch using Amex. I even tell the seller that’s what I’m going to do with it because if they know something they’re not telling you, then they have the option of not selling you the watch at that point. That way you have recourse if you hit a problem like I did with both a dealer and a credit card company. If you don’t do this and you wait for any extended period of time, then you stand to lose the watch and your money as the CC guarantee comes with a time limit.

Finding out you’ve screwed the pooch to long after the fact is too late.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:07 AM   #42
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18078pres View Post
How does Rolex get the intel that in fact its stolen ? Is it just a notification from the owner ? Or a police report ? If they tell me my watch is stolen and take it from me they better damn well prove it with documented facts that it is stolen !!!! They're not a law enforcement agency .
Rolex (and all established watch brands) act in accordance with the law. So yes, they damn well will prove it. With documented facts no less!
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:14 AM   #43
THC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Maybe we should start a business Tom

Everyone ... start sending your watches to us for authentication $100 please
you’re in charge, I will sweep up at the end of the day
Old 24 May 2020, 01:22 AM   #44
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
If there was a universal database that anybody could just call in to, there wouldn't be any stolen watches recovered.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:33 AM   #45
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not a horror story if it is your watch being returned to you.

You don't get to keep stolen property, it's the same as the original crime.
My sentiments exactly. If it stolen it’s not right to keep it regardless.

If the jeweler is truly reputable and RSC says it was stolen you shouldn’t have anything to worry about, they should refund you without too much of a hiccup.
Old 24 May 2020, 01:40 AM   #46
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Rolex RSC will confiscate it. It has happened to someone I know. He never got the watch back.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 01:50 AM   #47
THC

Quote:
If there was a universal database that anybody could just call in to, there wouldn't be any stolen watches recovered.
Hmmmm...good point
Old 24 May 2020, 02:00 AM   #48
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I think you’re being a little obtuse. As others have stated, the watch was bought in good faith, with buyer and seller unaware it was on a stolen list.
How dare you! I’ve never been a single degree beyond 90!

I dunno, I wouldn’t want to have a stolen watch on my wrist, and having Rolex service it is a good way to ease that worry. As others have said, OP’s exposure is pretty low.
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:06 AM   #49
OrangeKenny
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Quote:
But it would be a lot harder to move a stolen watch. Of course there are unscrupulous buyers, but I like to think a lot more honest ones would do the right thing.

Isn’t this why thewatchregister exists?
OrangeKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:29 AM   #50
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagon View Post
Because if people can preview whether a watch that they have is on the Rolex stolen register, then they might choose to not send it in to RSC for service. Which defeats the whole point of it, and reduces the opportunity to reunite the watch with the original owner.

I am surprised in the above anecdotes the unsuspecting owners kept the watch in the end. Was this because the original owner, who had reported it stolen, could no longer be traced, perhaps due to obsoleted contact details after so many years? Or, if insurance had paid out, won’t the insurance company have claim on it?
I would imagine if John Smith had his Rolex stolen, he had insurance on it. Then after the investigation they would have him get into contact with xyz company of his choosing to purchase a similar watch again or another of equal value. If after x amount of time passes and the watch comes up in an auction or Rolex, RSC aquires it, I would imagine they would reach out to the customer or to the insurance company that filed the claim. John Smith, if he wanted his original watch back would then have to return the money paid to him by the insurance company I would imagine. So if he got a newer/better watch I'm sure he'd rather keep that one obviously unless it had some sentimental value.

N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:48 AM   #51
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post

One of my golden rules if I ever buy a second hand Rolex, is it goes straight to RSC for service and I only ever pay for the watch using Amex. I even tell the seller that’s what I’m going to do with it because if they know something they’re not telling you, then they have the option of not selling you the watch at that point. That way you have recourse if you hit a problem like I did with both a dealer and a credit card company. If you don’t do this and you wait for any extended period of time, then you stand to lose the watch and your money as the CC guarantee comes with a time limit.

Finding out you’ve screwed the pooch to long after the fact is too late.
Your instance sounds well handled by all parties and I'm glad it had a positive outcome.

I like your golden rule. Especially the part about sharing what you intend to do with the seller. I may use it in future purchases when dealing with second hand watches.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:46 AM   #52
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post

I dunno, I wouldn’t want to have a stolen watch on my wrist, and having Rolex service it is a good way to ease that worry. As others have said, OP’s exposure is pretty low.
I get your point
Old 24 May 2020, 03:51 AM   #53
barters
"TRF" Member

I had a watch stolen. I believe that in the past you were able to alert RSC directly but they stopped this several years or more ago.

I would love to be able to inform RSC if anyone knows how?
barters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 04:55 AM   #54
timemaestro
Banned

That's why you should always buy your watch with papers.
timemaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 06:05 AM   #55
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
My buddy bought a Submariner from a trusted TRF seller. He sent the watch for service and RSC sent a letter through their attorney that the watch was stolen. The insurance company that paid the claim to the previous owner and they were now the owner of the watch. He contacted the TRF seller who said he would pay him up to his original purchase price. My buddy negotiated with the insurance company and the seller wrote the check and reimbursed him to buy it back and my friend again is now the owner of record.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:52 AM   #56
tigey
"TRF" Member

I have it insured with Jeweler's Mutual. They did run the serial through their database, whatever that is and it came out clean.
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:59 AM   #57
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post

Then either youre right or certainly acute
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:59 AM   #58
Mifune
Banned

Rolex prices are Skyrocketing?
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:00 AM   #59
HogwldFLTR

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
I have it insured with Jeweler's Mutual. They did run the serial through their database, whatever that is and it came out clean.
Well that's a good thing; congratulations!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:02 AM   #60
tigey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
If it is stolen, your concern for the rightful owner is severally lacking. Hence, if RCS grabs it, my sympathy for you is severally lacking.
However will I live without your sympathy? Ohh what would I do If I didnt get sympathy from jimcameron? I shudder to think!
tigey is offline   Reply With Quote