The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 February 2024, 11:04 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Got the Call I've Waited Years for... and Passed

After years of waiting and begging with relatively moderate spend history compared to some of you ballers, I finally got the call for a stainless Daytona 126500LN. I thought I was dreaming. The only "problem" is that it was the black one.
I had emailed the manager a week prior to say how I've been waiting for a long time, got a big promotion, as well as having my first trip to Switzerland this Summer, and this was how I really wanted to celebrate. Funny how quickly something became available for me!
While I had the black on my list and do want it, I knew it would delay getting the white that I've been pining for, as I was told it would be a little bit before they'd sell me another SS Daytona. My SA convinced me to hold out for the white.
Although he couldn't guarantee when it would come for me, he promised that I'd be his first call when it was his turn to sell one. He said he was 80% sure it would come by the end of the year. It was reassuring to hear him say, "The last thing I want you to do is to look down and wish it were the white every time," and that his advice was to wait--saying it was a matter of "when," not "if." I made sure to tell him I could "literally vomit" if it's this time next year and I still don't have the white after I passed on the black.
I did, of course, go by to look at it to make sure I was making the right choice. I cannot express how hard it was to not buy that black. I never knew I had this much self control. I mean come on... the second hardest to get stainless Rolex, and it's right there at retail.... I know I would've worn the heck out of it and loved it, but I know I'd be still losing my mind waiting for the white, whereas I could easily wait for the black if I had the white.
My hope also is that it helped my credibility further to not look like a flipper since I could've had a $13k payday if those were my intentions.

The black definitely looks better in person than it does in pictures. I love the way the subdial rings reflect light. I didn't initially find it as legible as the white, but I'd probably get used to it. It's definitely a lot more understated than the white and oozes sporty class. Feels more like an IYKYK piece. I've tried on the white 126500 once recently, and it's the clear winner of the two in my book. That being said, having both would not feel redundant at all.
Versus the 116500, the new 12 series wears remarkably similar. The case sides being blocky is the most notable difference to me, but you don't even notice that until you look at it from the side. The dial feels a little more refined, and the bezel ring that I hated in the initial promo photos at release I actually don't mind at all; I think it looks quite good, but again... nowhere near as noticeable as I thought it would be. The 126 black is definitely better looking than the 116 black. whereas the white is about even for me. The watch doesn't really wear any thinner to me like it was made out to be initially, but all I had to compare it to was my 116508 YG Daytona. One final observation is how much more the crystal of my 116508 sticks out vs the 126500. I never thought that was a thick crystal until seeing it side by side.

Here's to hoping for the white soon! I just thought I'd share with my fellow enthusiasts what's made me lose some sleep lately! I know some of you prefer the black, but the white has my heart!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote