The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2008, 06:30 AM   #31
Hookie

Watch: SUB TT 16613
Yeah it would be nice to know the outcome, it really is strange lol
Hookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 06:31 AM   #32
mydsangel
"TRF" Member

ok i will post back after. I cant find any other flaws besides the loose trim
mydsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 06:32 AM   #33
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
The case back should just unscrew.

I don't think that on this one I would be concerned at all about taking it apart..
Old 8 September 2008, 06:36 AM   #34
chicagowatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DDMasterp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowatchman View Post
Please post back when you get the answer.

This is a really strange post
Please forgive me for i do not mean any of this in a bad way.

Anyone who is not familiar with Rolex or any other high end products such as Louie Vitton, Gucci, and on and on can easily be taken on a fake....

There are a lot of members here that can spot em on contact....but i must admit as i said earlier i have seen some TT an SS Rolexs that i was only able to tell by there weight off the wrist.....But the look of this DD is not right in any sense.
Men's SS Cartier Pasha

MEMBER # 5534 USA
CHICAGO IL
chicagowatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 09:20 AM   #35
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

yeah have to chime in...that looks steel, And made in china
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 09:54 AM   #36
cmr
"TRF" Member

move the bracelet out of the way and stick a long piece of duct tape across the back pressing it down very good. take the ends of the tape and pull them together in the middle of your hand like you are making a fist and turn it counter clock wise. the case back will unscrew and come off. this works on any screw on case back watch.

to reassemble just screw the case back on as far as you can and tighten it back up with the tape ball in the reverse order you removed it. this is the best way to remove one with out damaging the metal. with that said it will damage the hologram sticker, i remove them from my watches and put them with the paperwork so i don't have to worry for that.

if it is a gen it has been redialed for some reason. remove the case back and set your camera to macro, take some pictures of the movement and post them and let us take a look at the movement.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 01:56 PM   #37
CPCC
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately it is fake. Use a pipe wrench and open the back, it wont matter.
Old 8 September 2008, 03:05 PM   #38
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
any angle I looked at it, it looks like a fake.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 04:30 PM   #39
CKay
"TRF" Member

This is a classic Folex.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD
CKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 05:58 PM   #40
Drumr

i just gutted a TTDD that was fake.
it was sitting in a drawer with all the hour markers fallen out, so i decided to take it apart to see if i could retrieve the makers and reassemble the watch. I get it all disassembled and decide its too much trouble to rebuild it (plus it had been previously disassembled and the fallen markers were gone) so i took the innards of an old digital watch stuffed it in there, added a black metal band it now it looks kinda funky.
impossible to access any function on the digital innards but it looks cool!
(plus the seconds fall under the cyclops!
Drumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 11:07 PM   #41
Sam Taha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydsangel View Post
i see the hologram is good and the logo on the bottom of the 6 oclock can only be seen with magnifier. I looked at all the fake signs and cannot find any mistakes
I have two fakes and each has a perfect hologram AND the laser etched crown at the 6 o'clock positition.

Take it to an AD and have them open it up. That's the only way to be 100% sure. But be careful, if it's fake, they might not give it back to you :-)
Sam Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 01:46 AM   #42
Hatchet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPCC View Post
Unfortunately it is fake. Use a pipe wrench and open the back, it wont matter.
Hehehe!!

I call shenanigans!!
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. --Carl Spackler in Caddyshack
Hatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 02:21 AM   #43
daytona1

I dont know how anyone can tell if this watch is fake by seeing those pictures. I had a white gold pres with aftermarket MOP dial and the trim fell off just like the one pictured.
daytona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 02:27 AM   #44
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
I dont know how anyone can tell if this watch is fake by seeing those pictures. I had a white gold pres with aftermarket MOP dial and the trim fell off just like the one pictured.
the pictures aren't anywhere near good enough to tell if it is a fake. at this point all i see is a aftermarket dial with the trim off of it. there are thousands of these out there that have been redialed and until i see better pictures i will consider this one of them. show me the movement and i will tell you if it is a fake. it's either that or take another crappy picture of the watch on a digital scale, that will be good enough.

Old 9 September 2008, 04:28 AM   #45
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr View Post
the pictures aren't anywhere near good enough to tell if it is a fake. at this point all i see is a aftermarket dial with the trim off of it. there are thousands of these out there that have been redialed and until i see better pictures i will cohttp://www.rolexforums.com/images/smilies/cheers.gifnsider this one of them. show me the movement and i will tell you if it is a fake. it's either that or take another crappy picture of the watch on a digital scale, that will be good enough.
what about having clearly the wrong model number?

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 04:36 AM   #46
cmr
"TRF" Member

well, i can't read the model number for myself and the op clearly has no idea what he has. he can't remove the case back so i am sure he hasn't removed the bracelet to get the model number from the case. do you know where he got the model number from? i don't.

Old 9 September 2008, 05:37 AM   #47
toph
"TRF" Member

ok - but does it look like a mens size watch to you. it 100% looks a ladies size to me

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 9 September 2008, 05:41 AM   #48
cmr
"TRF" Member

i have no point of reference to judge by. i have never seen a ladies or mid size day date in a fake or any other cheap manufacturer.

Old 9 September 2008, 05:43 AM   #49
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i have no point of reference to judge by. i have never seen a ladies or mid size day date in a fake or any other cheap manufacturer.
ok then- we will just have to wait and see if she comes back and tells us all it is a fake

Member No.# 11795
Old 9 September 2008, 05:48 AM   #50
cmr
"TRF" Member

if they would post a shot of the movement, a shot of it on a digital scale or the easiest one of all a shot of the markings on the crown it would be easy to tell.

Old 9 September 2008, 05:53 AM   #51
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if they would post a shot of the movement, a shot of it on a digital scale or the easiest one of all a shot of the markings on the crown it would be easy to tell.
true But also the wrong diamond set type- I.E not baguette, WG not platinum etc etc. i know you are disputing the ref number that is given but there are far too many things wrong with this "rolex" for it be real.

but i am sure we will find out soon enough

Member No.# 11795
Old 9 September 2008, 05:55 AM   #52
Atlanta
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB & 114270
The whole story sounds less than genuine to me. Anyone who had been given an $80,000 watch would have the paperwork and would consult a jeweler before searching the web seeking a payoff amount.
Old 9 September 2008, 06:51 AM   #53
MikeV
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc
You have a point Atlanta...let's see if there is a follow up post on the status or if this thread just dies off
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2008, 04:37 PM   #54
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
true But also the wrong diamond set type- I.E not baguette, WG not platinum etc etc. i know you are disputing the ref number that is given but there are far too many things wrong with this "rolex" for it be real.

but i am sure we will find out soon enough
when i am posting in a hurry i always forget that on a forum where people can only read what you are saying they can't hear the tone of your voice or see the expression on you face. what you say can be taken very differently that how you mean it.

in my opinion the pictures shown aren't good enough to tell if the watch is a fake or just a poorly taken care of gen that has been redialed with a less than quality dial. the only reason i am suspect of the numbers he gave is because he doesn't have any paperwork with numbers so he would have to remove the bracelet to see them. he can't remove the case back and that is arguably as easy as removing the bracelet. i can do it faster than removing the bracelet when being careful to not damage the watch.

i am not saying it is a genuine dd, i am just saying the op obviously knows nothing about it so for me i would have to make my decision by looking at the watch and disregard what he has to say. i have to do this when working on cars all the time. if he would just show me the markings on the crown would be enough for me. in oklahoma with allot of oil men here wearing texas timex's (rollie dd) i have seen a ton of fake dd's and some of them have been scary good but every one of them have shared one fault. the crown markings will be for a ss or ss/18k with the striate bar under the rolex coronet. obviously other than that if you hold it in your hand it will always be too light because it will be ss instead of 18k or platinum.

in this state i have found the fastest way to tell if somebodies rolex is fake is to complement them on it. they will take it off, hand it to you and tell you all about it if you are in a fairly controlled environment. if it is a fake they will never take it off and let you hold it under any circumstance.

Old 9 September 2008, 07:22 PM   #55
toph
"TRF" Member

Quote:
when i am posting in a hurry i always forget that on a forum where people can only read what you are saying they can't hear the tone of your voice or see the expression on you face. what you say can be taken very differently that how you mean it.

in my opinion the pictures shown aren't good enough to tell if the watch is a fake or just a poorly taken care of gen that has been redialed with a less than quality dial. the only reason i am suspect of the numbers he gave is because he doesn't have any paperwork with numbers so he would have to remove the bracelet to see them. he can't remove the case back and that is arguably as easy as removing the bracelet. i can do it faster than removing the bracelet when being careful to not damage the watch.

i am not saying it is a genuine dd, i am just saying the op obviously knows nothing about it so for me i would have to make my decision by looking at the watch and disregard what he has to say. i have to do this when working on cars all the time. if he would just show me the markings on the crown would be enough for me. in oklahoma with allot of oil men here wearing texas timex's (rollie dd) i have seen a ton of fake dd's and some of them have been scary good but every one of them have shared one fault. the crown markings will be for a ss or ss/18k with the striate bar under the rolex coronet. obviously other than that if you hold it in your hand it will always be too light because it will be ss instead of 18k or platinum.

in this state i have found the fastest way to tell if somebodies rolex is fake is to complement them on it. they will take it off, hand it to you and tell you all about it if you are in a fairly controlled environment. if it is a fake they will never take it off and let you hold it under any circumstance.
i totally understand what your saying. Which is a very valid point

Member No.# 11795
Old 9 September 2008, 07:27 PM   #56
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydsangel View Post
I have a Rolex Oyster perpetual daydate with mother of pearl dial 18956. Can anyone tell me what the price range is? No certificate but maybe I can go to a ad to get one. Where would be the best place to sell it. Thank you.
$0 - $0 range
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 12:48 AM   #57
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

the alignment of the day is also a big giveaway...very much off-centre
SUPERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2008, 02:01 AM   #58
monkfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The case back should just unscrew.

I don't think that on this one I would be concerned at all about taking it apart..
If the trim has come off it will need fixing anyway so by taking the back off I doubt you can do much more damage considering if it is legitimate then they will need to do a lot more than taking the back off
Old 21 September 2008, 02:09 AM   #59
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Bring it it RSC and find out what model is that.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote