The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 July 2024, 11:43 PM   #31
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
“The Twelfth of Never”
(Johnnie Mathis song)
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:21 AM   #32
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

8 to 10 years

I live in Tampa

I have a $25K history (as of today) with the AD

AD told me 8 to 10 years

I was told this on June 27th of this year

Good Luck
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:34 AM   #33
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If your AD said two years, then for you with them it is two years. Keep in touch by dropping by, often but not too often, be super upbeat and talk watches and try to buy something there, from time to time, for presents, etc. Your good now but will you be two years from now is the lingering question.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:41 AM   #34
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
4ever
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 01:47 AM   #35
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Something makes me wonder actually, if the waitlists are so difficult, and you need a big spend to ‘qualify’ for even getting on a list for a Daytona, those who get it from ADs are obviously whales who have much to spend. In that case, how do these Daytonas get to the grey market? I don’t think these ‘whales’ will let a bit of profit tarnish their ad accounts.. any theories?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 03:14 AM   #36
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

Seen black dial Daytona's selling for under £20k... Definitely a quick way
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 08:10 AM   #37
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only

Last December arrived in EU, I got it last month. Waiting list are a fairly tale from AD’s. They do whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 08:22 AM   #38
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
Thanks! I have a fairly decent spend history, though it has been spread across a number of Sales Associates. The latest relationship has been with the third generation owner, who ultimately passed me off to one his their Sr. SA's that has been there 40+ year! Here is my spend history, dating back to 2019:
  • Rolex GMT Rootbeer
  • Rolex GMT Batgirl
  • Rolex Submariner Bluesy
  • JLC Reverso
  • Tudor Black Bay 54
  • Rolex GMT Sprite
  • Womens Bracelet
I would think this qualifies me?
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 08:27 AM   #39
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgauss2232 View Post
Something makes me wonder actually, if the waitlists are so difficult, and you need a big spend to ‘qualify’ for even getting on a list for a Daytona, those who get it from ADs are obviously whales who have much to spend. In that case, how do these Daytonas get to the grey market? I don’t think these ‘whales’ will let a bit of profit tarnish their ad accounts.. any theories?
I often wonder the same. Rucks of brand new unworn SS Daytonas sitting in the vaults belonging to grey dealers. Would love to know the real backstory of how most of them got there.
Old 3 July 2024, 11:51 AM   #40
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Hard to say. Don’t think a wait list really exists but especially for a SS Daytona. You’re either getting it or you’re not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 12:06 PM   #41
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit

Although. . ."There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly how long the waitlist is, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory mentioned, which states that this has already happened."

Sent from my CPH2583 using Tapatalk
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 03:12 PM   #42
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I'll sell you mine. Short wait list...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona July.jpg (124.6 KB, 183 views)
Wingman244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2024, 09:25 PM   #43
GVAZQUEZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: KERMIT 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
Thanks! I have a fairly decent spend history, though it has been spread across a number of Sales Associates. The latest relationship has been with the third generation owner, who ultimately passed me off to one his their Sr. SA's that has been there 40+ year! Here is my spend history, dating back to 2019:
  • Rolex GMT Rootbeer
  • Rolex GMT Batgirl
  • JLC Reverso
  • Tudor Black Bay 54
  • Rolex GMT Sprite
  • Womens Bracelet

Just be patient you are on the right track.

GVAZQUEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #44
Makers
"TRF" Member

Quote:

...I don’t think these ‘whales’ will let a bit of profit tarnish their ad accounts.. any theories?
Think again.

In fact, I'm willing to bet the majority of Daytonas bought new are flipped. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ADs are knowing participants since it creates business and helps to moves less-desired stock.
Makers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #45
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makers View Post
Think again.

In fact, I'm willing to bet the majority of Daytonas bought new are flipped. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if the ADs are knowing participants since it creates business and helps to moves less-desired stock.
I would flip a Daytona from an AD in a heart beat. Not a huge fan of it. But wouldn’t go out of my way working with an AD to try and get one just to flip
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #46
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
  • Rolex GMT Rootbeer
  • Rolex GMT Batgirl
  • JLC Reverso
  • Tudor Black Bay 54
  • Rolex GMT Sprite
  • Womens Bracelet
I say you have a good shot at it. But really depending on your location, relationship with the 3rd Gen owner son, also how much that reversi and women bracelet. Getting a SS Daytona is always very tough.
Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM   #47
EL Diablo
"TRF" Member

There are so many SS Daytona's on the Grey market.
Anyone really think all this inventory is going to legit customers? No way.

IMO - Grey dealers are in business with SA at many AD's

MSRP 15K watch...
Sell to "Customer" for a few grand extra under the table.
"Customer" flips it for a few grand in their pocket.

Greed. Its human nature.
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #48
R8TDRRR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
It all depends really. I've been away from the forum for sometime (just lurking) but here has been my voyage on allocations.

Polar Explorer 226570 - 9 days
GMT-Master II - 126710BLNR - 7 days after repeating my expressed interest just under a year later since I didn't want to ask my SA for another SS sports model in the same calendar year. Prior to the GMT, I was offered 126719BLRO but declined it. I had zero purchase history on initial allocation, and none between the acquisition of the GMT. MAJOR metro area as well. So yes, it does help if your AD likes you in my opinion and experience.

Unfortunately for me, I prefer the 116500LN and it's discontinued. If I were to decide on the 126500LN, I would hope to acquire it within a year to 18 months.
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #49
Big_Red
"TRF" Member

I’m in Atlanta with multiple AD’s and registered interest. I’ve wanted one since 2017 to celebrate a job promotion. Have purchased 3 Rolexes from one of these AD. Zero calls. Seven years.

Two years ago went grey on a 116519. And yesterday a trusted seller here on the 126500. Before 2020 I thought I’d never buy from grey and that all changed.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #50
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
  • Rolex GMT Rootbeer
  • Rolex GMT Batgirl
  • JLC Reverso
  • Tudor Black Bay 54
  • Rolex GMT Sprite
  • Womens Bracelet
When did you get the batgirl and sprite? If recently, then I think you’ll need to buy more before you get the Daytona and it’ll take a few years

If you got those early, and have bought a number of the other pieces, I think you’ll get it in the next year or two. Probably will need to buy 1 or 2 more pieces
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #51
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
  • Rolex GMT Rootbeer
  • Rolex GMT Batgirl
  • JLC Reverso
  • Tudor Black Bay 54
  • Rolex GMT Sprite
  • Womens Bracelet

There is no real qualification. They could give you one tomorrow after buying one watch from them, or never. It’s allocated. The way my AD works is they put through customer purchase files to allocate a Daytona. You likely have a lot of people that have been buying at that location for more than 5 years . I would ask when is a realistic timeline. If they don’t give you one, you’re not on the radar.

shaunylw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #52
rolesor2022
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackLexus17 View Post
Forget the SS.

Buy a gold model.
Some people hold SS Daytonas to a higher value than other gold Rolexes. I am some people.
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM   #53
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

I wonder if the steel Daytona will ever become a "true" waitlist watch again. I've been in the hobby since about 2000, and I'd say from about 2000-2015, it was a true waitlist watch. Meaning you'd have to be very lucky to walk in to an AD and buy one, but if you go in and express interest, you'd eventually get it in a reasonable timeframe (<= 1.5 years) without buying anything else.

I end up sounding like an old "back in my day" guy every time I mention this, but it's truly been breathtaking how the watch market (esp Rolex) has changed from just 2016ish.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #54
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makers View Post
Think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
I would flip a Daytona from an AD in a heart beat. Not a huge fan of it. But wouldn’t go out of my way working with an AD to try and get one just to flip
Interesting. But my AD tells me a tale of customers being banned or put on a blacklist for popular models in future because the secondary buyer brought the flipped Daytona into the ad to resize and they tracked the original buyer through the serial.
There are also people who actively ‘report’ serial numbers of flipped watches to their AD (he actually showed me the message, it’s strange but true). I just find it a bit hard to wrap around my head that people who have accounts upwards of hundreds of Ks souring their relationship with the AD.
Unless they are in on it too, I guess.
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM   #55
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Diablo View Post
There are so many SS Daytona's on the Grey market.
Anyone really think all this inventory is going to legit customers? No way.

IMO - Grey dealers are in business with SA at many AD's

MSRP 15K watch...
Sell to "Customer" for a few grand extra under the table.
"Customer" flips it for a few grand in their pocket.

Greed. Its human nature.
Yeh this definitely happens for sure.
Although I would probably hazard a guess it's a little less prolific now than it was a couple of years ago. Especially in the UK, considering there are fewer and fewer independent ADs now. Much harder to get away with in a chain store, I would imagine. Harder to hide a brown envelope coming through the books, or not, as the case may be.
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #56
shipitfresh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Bluesy, DJ41
I've bought 4 Rolex over 7 years from a local AD all with the same salesperson. Last year my wife and I were nearby and stopped in to say hi and get our watches a quick cleaning. During the short wait, our salesperson asked if I had any interest in a SS Daytona. I told them I already had another brand of similar type. They seemed surprised at my answer. I then asked, knowing how crazy in-demand they were, why was the offer made? They told me "because you're a good customer and you won't flip it". I think it was more blind luck than anything and kind of regret not taking them up on the offer.
shipitfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #57
Makers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipitfresh View Post
I've bought 4 Rolex over 7 years from a local AD all with the same salesperson. Last year my wife and I were nearby and stopped in to say hi and get our watches a quick cleaning. During the short wait, our salesperson asked if I had any interest in a SS Daytona....
That short anecdote should dispel the myth of "the waitlist" once and for all!

To be polite, we've all taken a salesperson's business card only to toss soon after. The waitlist is the AD's way of politely taking a customer's info, only to toss it later.
Makers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #58
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
The answer is, 'depends who you are'. If you are a big spender, could be short. If you are like me, will be eternity.
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #59
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Interesting. But my AD tells me a tale of customers being banned or put on a blacklist for popular models in future because the secondary buyer brought the flipped Daytona into the ad to resize and they tracked the original buyer through the serial.
There are also people who actively ‘report’ serial numbers of flipped watches to their AD (he actually showed me the message, it’s strange but true). I just find it a bit hard to wrap around my head that people who have accounts upwards of hundreds of Ks souring their relationship with the AD.
Unless they are in on it too, I guess.
Meh. It’s just a mass produced luxury watch. It’s not a life saving epi-pen and it doesn’t have any magical powers. Plus ADs don’t care about flipping. They care about one thing “money talks and BS walks”
Old Today, 07:23 AM   #60
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
oh boy... daytona's and wait lists...