The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 15 January 2010, 02:28 AM   #31
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I truly feel your pain, Greg, but if I might encourage you with some good news, I just this morning received my full cash payment stolen from me by Andy Hayes (TheRolex88.) You might just prevail after all, given the assistance and good ideas from TRF members.
Old 15 January 2010, 02:30 AM   #32
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
Quite possibly no one STOLE the watch. It could be sitting in the corner of a distribution center with no one paying very much attention to it because it was not listed as High Value.

FedEx, UPS etc. handle a HUGE volume of parcels and declaring High Value and the amount of that value helps them keep track of those parcels. The fact no one will leave their desk or coffee to go out and physically check to find the parcel is very frustrating!
Same question here...did I miss that part? Are you presuming it was stolen, or was it confirmed so?

Very frustrating. I hope it ends to your satisfaction. I always consider the paper I'm signing my agreement with the company, but perhaps you'll find a way around that.

Good luck!
Old 15 January 2010, 02:32 AM   #33
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Unbelievable. I don't understand why any courier would place a limit on the amount you can insure an item for.
Old 15 January 2010, 02:39 AM   #34
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Greg...its commendable that you have always managed to inform other TRFers even during these troubling times...
good luck in your resolution...damn FEDEX
Old 15 January 2010, 02:43 AM   #35
Evan614
"TRF" Member

Watch: out 4 Panerai bug
I assume you declared it stolen with rolex, et al... Did you file a police report too?
Small claims court in Ohio now is $5k (i think) so you might be able to avoid an attorney.
Print off what FedEx has on their computer for tracking. bring in the guy that was suppose to receive it, for the trial.
Lastly when you stand in front of the judge start off by saying how much your business is contributing to the local community by tax revenues, etc... Give yourself as credible. Plus bring in ALL the past shipped items as proof as this is a regular thing you do and your not some yaahoo trying to defraud FedEx.
Any lawyer they hire locally will cost them around $1000 to defend.

my 2 cents.
Old 15 January 2010, 02:58 AM   #36
acce1999
"TRF" Member

Troublesome story... I hope everything turns out fine.

Best,

A
Old 15 January 2010, 03:00 AM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acce1999 View Post
Troublesome story... I hope everything turns out fine.

Best,

A
x2!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 15 January 2010, 03:03 AM   #38
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Greg, good luck. Keep us posted.
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 03:04 AM   #39
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
Unbelievable. I don't understand why any courier would place a limit on the amount you can insure an item for.
They don't limit the insurance, you simply have to buy the insurance. If you don't, you lose in case of an accident.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:07 AM   #40
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

Good luck, Greg! I hate hearing of things like this....
Old 15 January 2010, 03:09 AM   #41
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
I'm so sorry Mosco. I was worried about sending my watch in the mail and some members told me I was being paranoid. It IS a sign of the times. People are getting desperate out there. I suggest we ALL be on our guard and not just with sending things in the mail. Make sure you lock your doors, keep a look out for strangers in your neighborhoods, ect..........Again Mosco, sorry man.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:12 AM   #42
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 SUBMARINER Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Yacht-Master
Greg, I am sorry to hear that,
I've been in the same situation 2 years ago... and by law you have no case..It's sad but I've been there trust me, you agreed on the $500 max even if you didn't know it even if you were miss informed....
Here is my best advice.
accept the $1000 they're offering you now then sue them, By doing that they are breaching the original contract that you signed in the fine print stating that they are covering you only for $500...
Then you will have no contract between you and them and you can sue them.
Still ask for a legal advice.
Good Luck my friend and I will keep my eyes out for the serial...
Old 15 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #43
thomaskho
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
My brother in Malaysia help me bought one Rolex last Nov, and tries to send it to NY with full insure US$5000, no one carried service company (including UPS, Fedex... etc) in Malaysia willing to accept this shipping, my brother been told by company manager, company can't trust they employee (once they know is value goods, it just take it away).

Old 15 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #44
Renoir
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that...I hope that you will get some sort of appropriate restitution for this. Good luck and thanks for posting!
Old 15 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #45
Shelby-villian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18**
Quote:
They don't limit the insurance, you simply have to buy the insurance. If you don't, you lose in case of an accident.
So did the OP not buy insurance beyond the $500 default to save some money? (based on the misinformation by the employee) When you use USPS, do you insure the packages at full value or was it basic coverage also?

Either way, its a valuable lesson for everyone sending high value goods through the mail. Good luck in recovering the watch or the money.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:19 AM   #46
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I truly feel your pain, Greg, but if I might encourage you with some good news, I just this morning received my full cash payment stolen from me by Andy Hayes (TheRolex88.) You might just prevail after all, given the assistance and good ideas from TRF members.
Great News and I'm happy for you.
Let's pray Greg will get some good news as well
Old 15 January 2010, 03:21 AM   #47
JUSTROLEXES
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby-villian View Post
So did the OP not buy insurance beyond the $500 default to save some money? (based on the misinformation by the employee) When you use USPS, do you insure the packages at full value or was it basic coverage also?

Either way, its a valuable lesson for everyone sending high value goods through the mail. Good luck in recovering the watch or the money.
The Maximun insurance you're allowed to buy from Fedex is $500.
the USPS is $5000 and UPS could go up to $50K
so if you were to use Fedex you will have to have your own insurance on the side...like parcel pro or similar companies..
Old 15 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #48
alphamale2012
"TRF" Member

gd luck greg.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:25 AM   #49
Ebruner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118208
You have an uphill battle, that in the end FedEx will win, unfortunately.

$500 max, and unless they told you different in writing, you will spend litigation money for nothing.

Bad situation. Sorry to hear about this.

-Eddie
Old 15 January 2010, 03:29 AM   #50
gt3pilot
"TRF" Member

Watch: this
Quote:
Most carriers have limits that you can insure for. USPS express(next day) has a $5k limit. To insure for more you need to use USPS registered mail which has a $25k limit for domestic shipping. Fedex I believe has a $5k limit. UPS has all kinds of restrictions on shipping jewelry and watches. Not real keen on carriers that require you to declare the contents, as that puts a "please steal me" stigma on the package. Not to mention how many times Fedex and UPS has left high value packages sitting on the front porch even when it says signature required. They figure the odds are in their favor that it won't get stolen....

Most sellers that do it as a business use a second party insurer and they have specific ways for you to package and mark the label.

Years back we had a box of Gold Maple Leaf coins shipped to us. The Canadian mint uses Brinks, but Brinks uses Fedex as a sub carrier. The package was stolen while in Fedex's possesion. A box of 500 one ounce gold coins is not light nor something you can just slip into your pocket. The FBI was involved, but Fedex's own internal security really messed up the investigation and in the end no one was caught.

Always try to use the USPS, as it is a federal crime to steal US. mail. Not so with private carriers.

Hope you get lucky and they find your package or make good on the value.

-Scott B.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:30 AM   #51
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Greg
Sorry for for your loss. I know the buyer wanted the watch the next day, but if it put the package at risk by shipping other than USPS, Registered, Insured, why did you do it? I think you could have told the buyer, you cannot do that because of the risk with other shippers and the theft involved. You are lucky that they offered you $1,000, perhaps you could call the attorney at FedEx back and ask for $2,000 and you would go away. In my opinion, you will not win the case against FedEx except to cause you more losses by hiring an attorney, they have these guys on staff and will not cost them a nickel. You have been around on these forums for awhile, and have read all the horror stories with FedEx, just surprised you did it. Best of luck.
Old 15 January 2010, 03:59 AM   #52
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
my OWN FedEx FAIL

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 15 January 2010, 04:05 AM   #53
sfm5s461
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Submariner
Very frustrating to read - Greg, I wish you good luck in recovering your property...
Old 15 January 2010, 04:06 AM   #54
newmedia
"TRF" Member

good old Memphis, TN. sorting station...got stolen at the HUB!
Old 15 January 2010, 04:10 AM   #55
miked
"TRF" Member

Watch: speedy, po,rlx gmt
Man this sucks, i feel for you.
Not that you have not thought of this already but i would plaster all forums, rolex usa, etc...with the watch serial # and details.

The watch was stolen with the box, papers, etc and likely will be sold that way to someone who has no clue of its origin. I would think this would make it much more likely to end up in the hands of someone who would have it serviced by rolex, and hopefully end up back in your hands.

Good luck my friend, if it makes you feel a little better I am done with Fedex due to this story, I imagine others are as well.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:11 AM   #56
azone5
"TRF" Member

When I read the title of the thread I thought you had caught the culprit. I hope the thief's days are numbered.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:15 AM   #57
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Thanks for the update Greg. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:29 AM   #58
goduke1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 72' Rolex Air King
Greg,

I read the first thread, and this one now. This situation sux big time (I don't have to tell you that). I was very nervous when I sent my watch off for service using UPS. I took my watch to the UPS store and THEY packaged the watch and placed it in the safe till pick up. I insured it for full replacement value. Lady told me since she was the one that packaged the watch, if something happend to it, it would be a no question asked refund for the full insurance price. As good as that sounded, it made me nervous. Once my service was complete they shipped it back to me VIA FedEx. I missed the delevery truck and went to the FedEx hub, tracked down the driver, met him and got my watch on the side of the road! I didn't want to take any chances!

Reading this story will make me think twice before using FedEx again for anything of value. I hope you get a positive ending, and SOON!
Old 15 January 2010, 04:33 AM   #59
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
If the Fedex lawyer has already offered you $1,000 that is an admission of fault on their part. Hopefully you got that in writing or email.

The trick to getting your full value is to make THEIR legal fees climb up over $10-15,000 - or show them how you and your lawyer will do that.

Have your lawyer draft a letter to the $1,000 guy listing several hundred discovery documents, a list of say 45 employee depositions you will need (right down to the pilots and handlers at each hub - with all depositions to be at your lawyers office - travel costs to be incurred by Fedex)

And just for good measure ask what their corporate policy is when it comes to responding to media inquiries about litigation, as your buddy at CNN was interested.

Give 'em hell and they will be advised to settle.
Old 15 January 2010, 04:36 AM   #60
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Sorry that happened!
Closed Thread