The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2010, 05:15 AM   #31
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog530 View Post
Maybe borderline but hey, I'm not a doctor. I just pretend to be one on the internet.

You're supposed to say: "But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Interesting question, and since you quite openly admit ("admit" is the wrong word, makes you sound guilty of a crime or something, but I didn't know any other word that fit! Maybe "acknowledged" is a better choice. Anyway, no offense intended. ) ... Since you have personal experience with this condition, your observations are certainly relevent. I would have to agree with you, to some extent a lot of Rolex owners exhibit some form of OCD. I don't sing to my watch, keep it in a humidity controlled room, and import fine silk from the orient to clean it every night, but it means a lot to me, and I am extremely careful and attentitive to it. If that qualifies as OCD, then I too am guilty.

My point is, is that really such a bad thing? I mean, we all have "special" things in our life, I'm talking about inanimate objects of course, not family or friends. My Step Father for example, he has a 1995 Corvette, he bought brand new and it has a total of 42,000 miles on it. The thing is immaculate, we are talking BEYOND show room condition. He checks on it all the time, does this eight-hour cleaner-wax procedure that keeps it looking brand new. He changes the oil himself every six months despite the fact he only puts on about 1,000 miles a year on the car. Wipes the dust off every day (even though it's in a garage), and has done this since it was brand new, you get the picture. So, what is so ironic about this story? Due to a stroke, my step-father doesn't drive, hasn't in years. He has my mother, or me, come over once in a while to drive him around in it, or just take it out to keep the engine and seals in good shape. Is this OCD? I'd say so, but... so what? My Step Father takes care of that car like some do their Rollies. It doesn't harm anyone, and it brings him hapiness, so if some of us WISes show some of those same symptoms, I say there are a lot worse things we could be doing in this world.

Just IMHO
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:18 AM   #32
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I hear you....Thats exactly my situation. When I had my first child 2 years ago, you stop sweating the small stuff. Like you, I still take care of my passions (watches,cars,motorcycles,etc..) but nothing like a new baby to put it all in perspective. The most exotic waters my diver have been in lately was the $25 baby pool from Kmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Hi. My name is Gerardo and I used to be OCD on my watches. As I posted some time ago, I had a beater watch that I cared for but wore it everywhere, and then it was 'all the other ones'. All these had to be worn with short sleeves only, not touched by any other human/animal/thing -I was the only one allowed to do so-; they had to be washed and rinsed with lab grade distilled water after using and prior to storage, which had to be in a humidity and temperature controlled environment. I am not kidding; if I wore my 2T sub everything was ok; but if I was wearing any other watch; you'd better not even come within 3 ft of my left arm.

Then something happened: I became a father. The most gorgeous and beautiful girl that has ever existed came to this world; and it shook my life pretty hard. I realized that all these toys are just that, expensive toys. Yes, I care for them, I hate scratches and do pamper them; but hey, what is the point of owning a killer DD in YG with your favorite dial if you can't wear it with a black 2 button Armani suit on your daughter's baptism?

From that day on; watches are meant to be worn. Yes, they still get rinsed with clean water after I wear them, but now they go with me on trips, vacations, lunch, good and bad times.

One day, I will be gone. These toys will be in my kids hands; I think they would rather have a near mint timepiece with lots of good memories of daddy and them together; than a pristine watch and little memories as daddy had to take his watch off every time he played with them.

Take care of your toys, you spend a lot of hard earned money to purchase them; but in the end, LIFE is much more precious (and has no price!). L I V E. Today. Always as if it was your last day on earth; we do not know what will happen tomorrow.

...just my 2 cents here.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:32 AM   #33
lawdog530
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
You're supposed to say: "But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Interesting question, and since you quite openly admit ("admit" is the wrong word, makes you sound guilty of a crime or something, but I didn't know any other word that fit! Maybe "acknowledged" is a better choice. Anyway, no offense intended. ) ... Since you have personal experience with this condition, your observations are certainly relevent. I would have to agree with you, to some extent a lot of Rolex owners exhibit some form of OCD. I don't sing to my watch, keep it in a humidity controlled room, and import fine silk from the orient to clean it every night, but it means a lot to me, and I am extremely careful and attentitive to it. If that qualifies as OCD, then I too am guilty.

My point is, is that really such a bad thing? I mean, we all have "special" things in our life, I'm talking about inanimate objects of course, not family or friends. My Step Father for example, he has a 1995 Corvette, he bought brand new and it has a total of 42,000 miles on it. The thing is immaculate, we are talking BEYOND show room condition. He checks on it all the time, does this eight-hour cleaner-wax procedure that keeps it looking brand new. He changes the oil himself every six months despite the fact he only puts on about 1,000 miles a year on the car. Wipes the dust off every day (even though it's in a garage), and has done this since it was brand new, you get the picture. So, what is so ironic about this story? Due to a stroke, my step-father doesn't drive, hasn't in years. He has my mother, or me, come over once in a while to drive him around in it, or just take it out to keep the engine and seals in good shape. Is this OCD? I'd say so, but... so what? My Step Father takes care of that car like some do their Rollies. It doesn't harm anyone, and it brings him hapiness, so if some of us WISes show some of those same symptoms, I say there are a lot worse things we could be doing in this world.

Just IMHO
The most significant element of your step-father's compulsion(s) is that, as you say, it brings him happiness. The problem is when the line is crossed and you find that you HAVE TO DO the compulsions. Not all, but some of the members here sound like they may have clinical OCD because of the extremes they take to "pamper" a watch.

It was just my observation that people on this site tend to be overly-attentive to an inanimate object (Rolex watch) and I just voiced my finding. Like several have said, they take good care of their Rolex but I think some here have a definite problem. It's just my observation and opinion. Who knows? I could be wrong.
lawdog530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:40 AM   #34
Eli

OCD Here.
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:55 AM   #35
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
I am diagnosed OCD, when I got my sub date 6 weeks ago I analysed every millimetre of it! Found some perceived imperfections and had to fight hard not to obsess every minute of the day. I guess you could say I was in danger of ruining the experience of owning it. I now have learnt techniques that help with the obsessiveness but it is a battle.

I guess what I am saying is that as long as you don't ruin the experience of ownership through obsessing then it is cool
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 06:02 AM   #36
haakon59
"TRF" Member

I have met at least 2 people who have been seriously debilitated by OCD. It is a tough condition. But I do see your point--I have also seen people develop OCD-like symptoms about certain things at least. I am not sure if you can develop this condition by habitually becoming obsessed or not. Balance is the key to health in many ways.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 08:48 AM   #37
bkandj2000

Watch: None specifically
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Nope Blaine,

You are defo not alone.
My Daytona is 3 months old and immaculate. I clean it in the morning, and sometimes run a cleaning cloth over it as i wear it during the day.

At night it is wrapped in a clean cleaning cloth and put in a jewellery box.
Then in the morning it is re-cleaned and worn again.

now surely THAT is ocd?
Wow, before I read this reply... when I was getting ready to leave the house earlier today...I took my GMT IIc out of the polishing cloth I keep it wrapped in, spritzed a little jewelry cleaner on it, dried with a soft microfiber towel, then took the polishing cloth and finished it off before carefully placing it on my wrist...only to run the polishing cloth over it once more.

Totally sick.

Blaine
bkandj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 08:56 AM   #38
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Just ask our wives about watch obsessions and see what they say--and also about time spent on TRF posting????

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 09:49 AM   #39
Leasky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118238 YG DD.
Having OCD and also suffering from Dyslexia means that I end up paying for all my watches COD........
Leasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 11:17 AM   #40
jnkay
"TRF" Member

Watch: du jour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgglonghorn View Post
Yes, Rolex is only a watch, but it is an expensive watch and I think it is as much responsible people taking care of their items that they have worked hard to get as much as anything else. If I am guilty of wanting my nice timepiece to stay nice, then sue me. BTW, I swim in a watch, I cook, I hunt, I play with my kids all while wearing a watch...BUT I still take very good care of them and want them to look nice.
What he said.
jnkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 01:00 PM   #41
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Well I guess if one had OCD that bad, getting to the AD would be a huge project in itself.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote